PDA

View Full Version : Hold off on buying an iPhone until next year...

Jason California
11-29-2007, 09:53 AM
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aAoHevYzQJgw&refer=us

Apple to Unveil Faster IPhone, AT&T's Stephenson Says (Update2)

By Crayton Harrison

Nov. 28 (Bloomberg) -- Apple Inc. will introduce a version of the iPhone next year that can download from the Internet at a faster rate, AT&T Inc. Chief Executive Officer Randall Stephenson said.

The device will operate on third-generation wireless networks, Stephenson said today at a meeting of the Churchill Club in Santa Clara, California. San Antonio-based AT&T is the exclusive carrier for the iPhone in the U.S.

``You'll have it next year,'' Stephenson said in response to a question about when the 3G iPhone would debut. He said he didn't know how much more the new version will cost than the existing model, which sells for $399. Apple Chief Executive Officer Steve Jobs ``will dictate what the price of the phone is,'' he said.

Jobs plans to sell 10 million iPhones worldwide in 2008, which would give Cupertino, California-based Apple 1 percent of the mobile-phone market. Apple had sold 1.4 million handsets through the end of September.

The prospect of a new handset may make some shoppers put off buying an iPhone this year, Gene Munster, an analyst with Piper Jaffray & Co. in Minneapolis, said in an e-mail. The number of shoppers who delay a purchase won't be ``enough to make a difference,'' he said. Munster has advised buying Apple shares since June 2004.

The device, which combines features of an iPod music player with a mobile handset, can download videos from Google Inc.'s YouTube and find driving directions over a wireless connection. Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris declined to comment.

Battery Life

Jobs said in September that the iPhone's battery life would be too short if it supported faster networks. The handset has eight hours of battery life, and 3G chips are ``real power hogs,'' he said at a news conference in London.

``We've got to see the battery lives for 3G get back up into the five-plus-hour range,'' he said. ``Hopefully we'll see that late next year.''

AT&T, owner of the largest U.S. mobile-phone service, is using the iPhone to lure customers from its closest rival, Verizon Wireless, which announced a plan this week to open its network to any phone or software maker that meets technical specifications.

Stephenson called the Verizon Wireless plan ``overblown.'' ``The industry's headed that way,'' he said. ``We are probably one of the most open networks in the world, not just the U.S.''

Thousands of developers create features for AT&T's network, and consumers can buy phones at the full price if they don't want to buy a subsidized model and sign a contract to use the company's wireless service, Stephenson said.

AT&T also continues to have confidence in its strategy to offer television service over its phone lines, Stephenson said. Eventually, the company could offer TV to the ``lion's share'' of the 30 million homes in its territory, a goal that could take ``a while,'' he said. ``We can keep pushing this technology further and further out to rural America.'' he said.

Stephenson plans to make the TV service available to 8 million homes by the end of this year and 17 million by the end of 2008. The company offers satellite service from EchoStar Communications Corp. and DirecTV Group Inc. in areas it doesn't reach with its own TV plan.

Offering satellite will be ``a long-term solution until we can get the video built out in those areas,'' Stephenson said.

Albert
11-29-2007, 10:00 AM
If you live in a city around a lot of Wi-Fi highspots, it's really not that big of a deal. And the EDGE network is actually not that bad. There are certainly other features that are a lot more pressing for a second gen iPhone...(MMS, an obvious one).

Tyeron
11-29-2007, 10:14 AM
i'm hoping "sometime next year" means they announce it in january.. and it comes out when my contract drops in february

DrMachine
11-29-2007, 10:18 AM
If you live in a city around a lot of Wi-Fi highspots, it's really not that big of a deal. And the EDGE network is actually not that bad. There are certainly other features that are a lot more pressing for a second gen iPhone...(MMS, an obvious one).

That's a software issue though not a hardware, it can easily be fixed with an update. I'll wait for an iphone that can hold my entire library before I trade up...somewhere around 20-30GB

till then my current one is fine running on EDGE

Albert
11-29-2007, 10:22 AM
That's a software issue though not a hardware, it can easily be fixed with an update. I'll wait for an iphone that can hold my entire library before I trade up...somewhere around 20-30GB

till then my current one is fine running on EDGE

It can easily be fixed with an update but at this point I doubt it will. We'll see!

GelfXIII
11-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Anyone know anything about the Verizon LG Voyager phone? or if the Helio Ocean works with Verizon networks?

Kody
11-29-2007, 10:24 AM
I'll be at MacWorld in January, so hopefully they'll give me a free one.

:(

Albert
11-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Anyone know anything about the Verizon LG Voyager phone? or if the Helio Ocean works with Verizon networks?

I think the Helio Ocean is Helio-exclusive.

Evan Wiener
11-29-2007, 10:32 AM

Yeah, good luck with that. :)

I think I'm going to hold off until you get more bang for your buck for the iPhone. While the price drop this year was nice, it needs to drop further to become a huge, widespread device.

DrMachine
11-29-2007, 10:37 AM
speaking of the iphone

http://lifehacker.com/software/feature/use-your-iphones-internet-connection-on-your-laptop-327066.php

PhilipClark
11-29-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm waiting for the nano.

Actually, I'm really holding out until it's a wrist-wearable device with video-phone, like Dick Tracy has.

mkecub
11-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Yeah, good luck with that. :)

I think I'm going to hold off until you get more bang for your buck for the iPhone. While the price drop this year was nice, it needs to drop further to become a huge, widespread device.

I would be very surprised if it drops any lower than it is right now. If you look traditionally at Apple products, they are not likely to lower prices, rather they are more likely to release a version with weaker features for less money. I'm not sure how much more bang for your buck you can get. It's only $100 more than the ipod touch and it includes a ton more features.

Jason California
11-29-2007, 10:57 AM

Edge is not that bad. I get 219kb down in Los Angeles and 240 in Colorado. pretty good overall.

I just think that if you are buying an iphone you should get it as good as it is going to get and next year model will beat the pants off of this ones.

Jason California
11-29-2007, 11:00 AM

here are some things on it..

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/venus-undressed/verizons-lg-venus-reviewed-verdict-better-than-chocolate-325702.php

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/lg-voyager-review/lg-voyager-from-verizon-wireless-reviewed-verdict-ambitious-but-flawed-323847.php

this is a comparrison to the iphone...

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/voyager-iphone-sizemodo/sizemodo-lg-voyager-vs-apple-iphone-323191.php

greg donovan
11-29-2007, 11:02 AM

it might soon. verizon just anounced that they will soon be allowing non verizon users to access verison's network.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2007-11-27-verizon-open-network_N.htm?csp=34

DaGetHighKnight
11-29-2007, 11:09 AM
The only thing that bugs me is the MMS stuff, other than that the wifi and edge are cool for now, The EDGE on my Blackberry works way faster though so I still do alot of on the road interwebing on there...

AAlgar
11-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Edge is not that bad. I get 219kb down in Los Angeles and 240 in Colorado. pretty good overall.

I just think that if you are buying an iphone you should get it as good as it is going to get and next year model will beat the pants off of this ones.

Yep. Welcome to technology.

Jason California
11-29-2007, 11:13 AM

I almost forgot.... next year Verizon is opening their netwrok to all unlocked phones. So if you want to get the helio and can get it unlocked you will be fine. This also goes for Sprint version of the HTC touch which i am fond of. This is probalby one fo the best things Veriszon has done in a while for their customers.

Albert
11-29-2007, 11:13 AM

But then the year after that and so on and so on and so on and so on

Jason California
11-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Yep. Welcome to technology.

been here for a while but thanks.;)

Jason California
11-29-2007, 11:15 AM
But then the year after that and so on and so on and so on and so on

yeah but Apple wont be making a new Iphone every year. The 3G version is going to come out soon enough after the intial version that I think it is a good idea to wait..

Apple does not come out with a new version fo the ipod every year right ?

AAlgar
11-29-2007, 11:16 AM
yeah but Apple wont be making a new Iphone every year. The 3G version is going to come out soon enough after the intial version that I think it is a good idea to wait..

Apple does not come out with a new version fo the ipod every year right ?

Pretty much.

Not always a huge leap in terms of redesign (color screen, touch screen, etc.), but usually at least a capacity bump.

Jason California
11-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Pretty much.

Not always a huge leap in terms of redesign (color screen, touch screen, etc.), but usually at least a capacity bump.

ok, right. 3G from Edge is a big enough jump with a short enough wait time.

GelfXIII
11-29-2007, 11:24 AM
here are some things on it..

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/venus-undressed/verizons-lg-venus-reviewed-verdict-better-than-chocolate-325702.php

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/lg-voyager-review/lg-voyager-from-verizon-wireless-reviewed-verdict-ambitious-but-flawed-323847.php

this is a comparrison to the iphone...

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/voyager-iphone-sizemodo/sizemodo-lg-voyager-vs-apple-iphone-323191.php

Well, that's all somewhat disappointing. I had hopes for the Voyager, since my wife seems dead set against anything to do with AT&T (and we both need new phones).

Jason California
11-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Well, that's all somewhat disappointing. I had hopes for the Voyager, since my wife seems dead set against anything to do with AT&T (and we both need new phones).

Yeah but next year you can get an unlocked cdma phone and put it on Verizon.

Garth
12-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Ok, well part of my x-mas gift was money towards an iphone. What is the consensus? My phone is kind of on its way out, so I am anxious to get a new one. And I know I should probably just wait, but if the new version isn't coming out till summer or something, that might be too long. What would you guys do?

Tyeron
12-28-2007, 09:52 AM
man if you can make it till the next version comes out i think you'll be ALOT happier.. this thing is clearing up alot of issues people have with the current iphone and the 3g network will offer a great speed difference.. also i wouldn't doubt that the new ones have alot higher capacity.. i'm hoping for atleast a jump to 16 or god willing... and i doubt this will happen.. but 60 gig would be beautiful.. they can do it.. but the cost may be prohibitive

GelfXIII
12-28-2007, 09:58 AM
I've decided to just get a regular phone (Probably the RAZR, although the Chocolate looks nice) and buy a Classic 160 instead. Next Christmas hopefully the iPhone wont be so exclusionary.

the_wallcrawler
12-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Yeah but next year you can get an unlocked cdma phone and put it on Verizon.I'll believe it when I see it.

Jason California
12-28-2007, 10:09 AM
I'll believe it when I see it.

Verizon Shocks Wireless World By Promising To Open Its Network

Verizon Wireless plans to publish technical standards next year that software developers can use to design products that will interface with the carrier's network.

By Elena Malykhina
InformationWeek
November 27, 2007 11:10 AM

Verizon (NYSE: VZ) Wireless shocked the U.S. wireless industry on Tuesday, announcing that starting next year it will open up its nationwide network to mobile devices, software, and applications not offered by the carrier.

Verizon Wireless plans to publish technical standards next year that software developers can use to design products that will interface with the carrier's network. Mobile devices that meet the minimum technical standard will be activated on the network. Details of the standards will be disclosed at a later date, the company said.

The carrier has set up a $20-million testing lab where mobile devices will be tested and approved. It also hopes to get input from developers about running outside devices on its network and the impact they might have on network performance.

For the first time, wireless customers will be able to download any software or application on their mobile devices and use the devices in ways that weren't previously allowed by Verizon Wireless. The carrier said it will not change its sales model, but instead will offer customers additional options.

"This is a transformation point in the 20-year history of mass market wireless devices -- one which we believe will set the table for the next level of innovation and growth," said Lowell McAdam, Verizon Wireless' president and chief executive officer, in a statement.

Once the change goes into effect, Verizon Wireless will have two categories of customers: full-service customers -- those that purchase devices and services from Verizon Wireless and receive technical support, and bring-your-own customers -- those that will bring their own devices to the carrier's network without full service.

Verizon Wireless and other U.S. wireless carriers have long been pressured by customers, third-party developers, and the Federal Communications Commission to open up their networks to outside devices and applications. Other pressures came from Europe and Asia, where carriers offer a lot more freedom to their customers. One example is T-Mobile selling an unlocked iPhone in Germany without a contract.

Most recently, Google (NSDQ: GOOG) announced the Android mobile-phone software development platform, which is based on the Linux 2.6 kernel and includes an operating system, a set of libraries, a multimedia user interface, and phone applications. Android is open and available to third-party developers.

If the other major wireless carriers, including AT&T (NYSE: T), Sprint (NYSE: S), and T-Mobile, follow in Verizon Wireless' footsteps, Android and similar open mobile platforms have a greater chance of succeeding in the U.S. There are signs that carriers are interested in supporting open platforms. T-Mobile and Sprint have already signed on as carrier partners for Google's Android alliance, and it's been reported that AT&T is in talks to do the same.

On a grander scale, this could significantly change the way the wireless industry operates in the U.S., putting many innovative devices in the hands of mobile users with features that were previously excluded or restricted by carriers.

the_wallcrawler
12-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Verizon Shocks Wireless World By Promising To Open Its Network.....Yea I know it was announced. Let's wait and see how "open" they make it. Verizon locked down just about every facet of their network, now they're just going to open it up to the world? Yea, like I said, I'll believe it when I see it.

Garth
12-28-2007, 10:41 AM
man if you can make it till the next version comes out i think you'll be ALOT happier.. this thing is clearing up alot of issues people have with the current iphone and the 3g network will offer a great speed difference.. also i wouldn't doubt that the new ones have alot higher capacity.. i'm hoping for atleast a jump to 16 or god willing... and i doubt this will happen.. but 60 gig would be beautiful.. they can do it.. but the cost may be prohibitive

Yeah, I am kind of leaning towards that, I just want to know when it will be released. I am dying to get rid of this ancient Sanyo phone.

DAVE
12-28-2007, 10:45 AM

I thought you didn't like hand outs.:-?