PDA

View Full Version : where did the whole 'girls like pink' and 'boys like blue' thing come from?

nick maynard
11-28-2007, 09:49 PM
i mean, why are women associated with pink? there's a lot of weird cultural traditions and with most i can speculate what their origins are. but man, girls and pink, guys and blue, i can't even guess where that came from.

Ben
11-28-2007, 09:50 PM
http://www.legaljuice.com/dna.jpg

Pink from mom, blue from dad.

Uther
11-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Vaginas are pink.
Penises are blue.
Right?

Keith P.
11-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Because people are stupid.

Years ago, i remember being in a Mcdonalds and their was some kind of toy car that came with the Happy Meals.

They came in blue and pink, and they were all out of the blue ones. Some lady and her little kid, maybe 5 or 6 years old were in front of me, and the cashier told them all they had left was the pink ones.

The kid didn't care, but the mom was like "No, pink is for girls!" and wouldn't let him have a toy. Of course the kid started crying, because he just wanted his little plastic car.

I was horrified. Bitch, let the kid have his toy.

Whip
11-28-2007, 10:02 PM

The kid didn't care, but the mom was like "No, pink is for girls!" and wouldn't let him have a toy. Of course the kid started crying, because he just wanted his little plastic car.

That's dumb! Just go home and paint the damned thing with a magic marker or oil paints. Or cover it up with black tape.

HoneyDippinDan
11-28-2007, 10:03 PM

Years ago, i remember being in a Mcdonalds and their was some kind of toy car that came with the Happy Meals.

They came in blue and pink, and they were all out of the blue ones. Some lady and her little kid, maybe 5 or 6 years old were in front of me, and the cashier told them all they had left was the pink ones.

One time while I was working at Kay Bee Toys, I witnessed a father go into a panic as he ran over and dragged his son out the aisle with all the dolls in it. As they walked past me, I heard the father mumble something about how he doesn't want to see his son turn gay. :roll:

Hawkdevil
11-28-2007, 10:05 PM

I've seen this shit happen. It's utterly ridiculous...

Uther
11-28-2007, 10:06 PM
One time while I was working at Kay Bee Toys, I witnessed a father go into a panic as he ran over and dragged his son out the aisle with all the dolls in it. As they walked past me, I heard the father mumble something about how he doesn't want to see his son turn gay. :roll:

That makes me laugh, cry and afraid.

Hawkdevil
11-28-2007, 10:08 PM
If my son was like "I wanna wear a pink dress, daddy!" I'd probably let him..

...but on the converse, if he was 6 and wanted to wear it on the first day of 1st grade, I'd probably say no...

nick maynard
11-28-2007, 10:09 PM
http://www.legaljuice.com/dna.jpg

Pink from mom, blue from dad.

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/6/6b/Neo_Whoa.jpg.

Taki Soma
11-28-2007, 10:18 PM
huh... good observation.

I dunno where it comes from either, but my mom was 'hip' in Tokyo so she dressed me in black and my brother in red a lot when we were infants.

anyway, the whole color/sex association thing is stupid.

--I remember asking for a Mickey Mouse doll when I was young and my ass of a real father bought me a Minnie Mouse doll instead because I'm a girl. I wanted Mickey. Minnie sucked!!

Hurnslice
11-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Pink and Blue are identifiers.

I'm not going to get into the whole is it right or wrong thing, but if someone - anyone - isn't aware of the sex of the child, they grow uncomfortable and don't know how to respond/attend to it.

Because, believe it or not, the way people treat little boys and little girls is radically different.

It's a social and psychological thing. It's behavior that is taught to us.

If you want to change it, you've got a mighty big mountain to climb.

Keith P.
11-28-2007, 10:20 PM
huh... good observation.

I dunno where it comes from either, but my mom was 'hip' in Tokyo so she dressed me in black and my brother in red a lot when we were infants.

anyway, the whole color/sex association thing is stupid.

--I remember asking for a Mickey Mouse doll when I was young and my ass of a real father bought me a Minnie Mouse doll instead because I'm a girl. I wanted Mickey. Minnie sucked!!

So you come from a family of vampires obviously.

I knew it.

Ben
11-28-2007, 10:23 PM
It's a social and psychological thing. It's behavior that is taught to us.

If you want to change it, you've got a mighty big mountain to climb.It's not all taught. Many, many, many, many behavioral sex differences in humans are innate. That doesn't mean they're universal, nor does it mean they should or should not be universal.

HoneyDippinDan
11-28-2007, 10:24 PM
BTW, for those that are interested on the subject on gender roles, I believe this is the definitive documentary on the subject:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9117/cheerleaderfu9.gif

Taki Soma
11-28-2007, 10:26 PM
So you come from a family of vampires obviously.

I knew it.

i'm pale for a japanese girl

Hurnslice
11-28-2007, 10:31 PM
It's not all taught. Many, many, many, many behavioral sex differences in humans are innate. That doesn't mean they're universal, nor does it mean they should or should not be universal.

Are you talking in children or adults? I lean toward the behavioral side of psychology and think it's mostly taught. Not a lot of innate psychologists out there.

And matronly instincts are a myth. Have you ever seen a woman handle a child who had no idea what they were doing? Scary.

It's taught. You pamper little girls and it's okay to rough house boys. And they start learning from the minute they're born.

I think you're talking more about personality, which is different.

nick maynard
11-28-2007, 10:48 PM
but why PINK for girls? is it because its like the color of a flower?

and are boys BLUE because of the sea? and how powerful sailors are?

i have NO clue.

Whip
11-28-2007, 11:00 PM
I want a son like Prince. I'll just buy purple things and then when he's outgrown them, I'll give it to the next child, boy or girl.

NATE!
11-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Why do I get the feeling that this thread is going to go in the direction of validation for wearing pink polo shirts with the collars popped?

Whip
11-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Why do I get the feeling that this thread is going to go in the direction of validation for wearing pink polo shirts with the collars popped?

Pink polo shirts, fine.

Collars popped? NO.

Miguel
11-28-2007, 11:05 PM
but why PINK for girls? is it because its like the color of a flower?

and are boys BLUE because of the sea? and how powerful sailors are?

i have NO clue.

I think if it happened the other way you'd be asking the question inversely. It could also just as easily have been black and yellow or something to that effect.

Did you catch that study about the supposed genetic ties to hunting and berries? The last time milk squirted from my nose, i was in 4th grade.

NATE!
11-28-2007, 11:13 PM

Pink polo shirts, fine.

Collars popped? NO.

Either way, the fashion statement being given is, "I'm trying way too hard and spending too much money to get a piece of ass." Also, douchebags.

nick maynard
11-29-2007, 04:16 AM
I think if it happened the other way you'd be asking the question inversely. It could also just as easily have been black and yellow or something to that effect.

i agree! which makes me wonder even more about why its pink and blue.

Queen of the Ban Age
11-29-2007, 04:53 AM
http://people.howstuffworks.com/gender-color.htm

It's interesting.

MAK15
11-29-2007, 05:46 AM
magenta isn't a bad color...

Jef UK
11-29-2007, 05:55 AM

It's interesting.

I still can't believe there's other sites on the internet besides this one. They've got like, information and facts and stuff.

adam_warlock_2099
11-29-2007, 06:01 AM
I want a son like Prince. I'll just buy purple things and then when he's outgrown them, I'll give it to the next child, boy or girl.

I'm going to start applying this reasoning with my youngest son while I have the chance.

Do you suppose that will somehow also transfer Prince's musical talents into my son? Cuz that would be damned awesome.

Ashwin Pande
11-29-2007, 06:09 AM
Vaginas are pink.
Penises are blue.
Right?

This man is right!!!

adam_warlock_2099
11-29-2007, 06:13 AM
Vaginas are pink.
Penises are blue.
Right?

I has pink taco? :)

Ashwin Pande
11-29-2007, 06:15 AM
I has pink taco? :)

if you tenderize the meat enough it might eventually become blue.

however I wouldn't recommend putting that in the mouth.

adam_warlock_2099
11-29-2007, 06:17 AM
if you tenderize the meat enough it might eventually become blue.

however I wouldn't recommend putting that in the mouth.

Thanks for the tip, old chap. I sure wouldn't want that in my mouth.

Justin.Strange
11-29-2007, 07:31 AM

Pink polos are kinda lame. But I do have a thing for pink and black neckties.

Ben
11-29-2007, 07:35 AM

It's interesting.Ha! Innate! Told you1!!!

Hurnslice
11-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Ha! Innate! Told you1!!!

It's a floorwax, and a dessert topping.

Rosemary's Baby
11-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Last night my girlfriend and I went to an advanced screening of "The Orphanage" and there was a couple in front of us. The guy was wearing a pink hat and the girl was wearing a blue hat. I just thought it was strange that I even noticed.

Good movie, by the way.

D-Money
11-29-2007, 08:00 AM
i mean, why are women associated with pink? there's a lot of weird cultural traditions and with most i can speculate what their origins are. but man, girls and pink, guys and blue, i can't even guess where that came from.

I heard you got arrested, this have anything to do with that?

allanpat
11-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Vaginas are pink.
Penises are blue.
Right?

nope

Vaginas are pink
Balls are blue

Dreaded Anomaly
11-29-2007, 04:24 PM
The story I've always heard is this:

In medieval times, blue was used to ward off evil spirits or whatever from attacking male infants.

Somebody realized they should probably protect female infants too, and they were going to use red, but they decided it was too manly so they toned it down to pink.

Uther
11-29-2007, 04:26 PM
nope

Vaginas are pink
Balls are blue

Oh!
Explains a lot.

Matt O'Keefe
11-29-2007, 04:27 PM
It shouldn't be wrong to like either, but it's just the norm.

Uther
11-29-2007, 04:28 PM
It shouldn't be wrong to like either, but it's just the norm.

I like green.
What does that mean?

Lemonade Lady
11-29-2007, 04:29 PM
I like green.
What does that mean?

You're a poet.

Uther
11-29-2007, 04:36 PM
You're a poet.

-sigh-

I know.

c. page
11-29-2007, 04:57 PM

Either way, the fashion statement being given is, "I'm trying way too hard and spending too much money to get a piece of ass." Also, douchebags.

pretty much my answer to the quoted question.