11-26-2007, 12:48 PM
With sticks.

Or were the sticks walking with it?

ClintP
11-26-2007, 12:49 PM
To walk.

I saw one during the Thanksgiving trip.

Please explain.

Every person I see holding one seems like a huge deuce bag.

Ben
11-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Please explain.

Every person I see holding one seems like a huge deuce bag.They look like a huge bag full of $2 bills?

Foolish Mortal
http://i19.tinypic.com/6pqeq0k.jpg

The Dean
Please explain.

Is that like a colostomy bag? If so, then I agree.*

*Unless it's a cane or umbrella with a sword inside. Those kick ass.

S. Earl
11-26-2007, 12:51 PM
To summon Thunder Gods.

Whip
11-26-2007, 12:52 PM
A walking stick is a tool used by many people to assist walking. Walking sticks come in many shapes and sizes, even leading some people to collect them.

Hemiplegic and balance-impaired persons use the stick to give them a better sense of the vertical position, thereby lessening vertigo. Without the stick, it is easy to walk at an angle, and perhaps not move in a straight line. The stick is held in the stronger hand.

Muscle-weakened persons (with reduced strength or nerve action) need a stronger weight-bearing stick to take some of the load normally used by the afflicted leg. Canes are generally used in the hand opposite the injury or weakness. This may appear counter-intuitive, but this allows the cane to used for stability in a way that lets the user shift much of their weight onto the cane and away from their weaker side as they walk. Personal preference, or a need to hold the cane in their dominant hand means some cane users choose to hold the cane on their injured side[1]. Also serving this purpose are walkers, which are held in front of the user and allow the user to lean heavily on them.

Walking sticks, also called trekking poles, hiking poles or hiking sticks, are used by hikers for a wide variety of purposes: to clear spiderwebs, part thick bushes or grass obscuring the trail; as a support when going uphill or a brake when going downhill; as a balance point when crossing streams, swamps or other rough terrain; to feel for obstacles in the path; to test mud and puddles for depth; and as a defense against wild animals. A walking stick can be improvised from nearby felled wood. More ornate sticks are made for avid hikers, and are often adorned with small trinkets or medallions depicting "conquered" territory.

They're handy, I tell ya. If I didn't have my stick, I don't think I would have made the Mt. Fuji climb.

ClintP
11-26-2007, 12:52 PM
They look like a huge bag full of $2 bills?

Fucking Google let me down. How do you spell what I was trying to spell? :lol:

Whip
11-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Fucking Google let me down. How do you spell what I was trying to spell? :lol:

Douche.

Supajoe
11-26-2007, 12:53 PM
to use and abuse privileges? IE:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FTow4eQfrIU

Keith P.
11-26-2007, 12:54 PM
A walking stick does not make a douchebag,

But people who ride those little electric carts around stores are fucking evil.

ClintP
They're handy, I tell ya. If I didn't have my stick, I don't think I would have made the Mt. Fuji climb.

But why would you use one? I know their purpose, but I don't know what you actually gain from using one, other than looking like one cool dude. Especially if you are in the scouts. The one kid with the walking stick was always the "pimp" of the troop, ie, most likely to get swirlies. :lol:

AAlgar
A walking stick does not make a douchebag,

But people who ride those little electric carts around stores are fucking evil.

Or, you know, fucking disabled.

ClintP

This was my favorite smartass response yet. You win the internets!

Gregory
11-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Please explain.

My mistake. I thought you mean the insects called Walking Sticks.

greg donovan
they are nice to have when hiking.

plus if you are walking with someone else that has one you can always have a impromptu sword fight to pass the time.

ClintP
Douche.

noted. I missed that word in my elementary school spelling bee too.

Keith P.
11-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Or, you know, fucking disabled.

I was attacked by some guy who apparently went around to all the local stores and would ram into people. He had been banned from most of the stores around here.

I'm a little biased.

changingshades
11-26-2007, 12:58 PM

I honestly was expecting a thread about these things.

Whip
11-26-2007, 12:58 PM
But why would you use one? I know their purpose, but I don't know what you actually gain from using one, other than looking like one cool dude. Especially if you are in the scouts. The one kid with the walking stick was always the "pimp" of the troop, ie, most likely to get swirlies. :lol:

Did you not read the article I pasted? :p

When on hikes or walking on hills, some people need them because of their sense of balance and for their general purposes. For me, walking up a steep hill is torture, so a stick helps out a lot.

I've never seen someone walking with a walking-stick or even a cane that didn't look like they needed it.

Buk Was Right
11-26-2007, 12:59 PM
I was attacked by some guy who apparently went around to all the local stores and would ram into people. He had been banned from most of the stores around here.

I'm a little biased.

What a shock... A random weird dude/encounter that found Keith P.

If I had your luck/weirdness attracting super powers I would never leave the house.

ClintP

I'm a little biased.

I remember that story!

Also, even the disabled seem to think riding in that cart means they can get a free pass to run over people in them. Most people, when they need to get around someone will say, "excuse me" or "pardon me". But not those fuckers. They will just plow through and ask questions later.

AAlgar

When on hikes or walking on hills, some people need them because of their sense of balance and for their general purposes. For me, walking up a steep hill is torture, so a stick helps out a lot.

I've never seen someone walking with a walking-stick or even a cane that didn't look like they needed it.

Well, there's Waldo.

But I suppose it's possible you haven't seen him.

Gregory
11-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Well, there's Waldo.

Maybe he took my bukket.

Whip
11-26-2007, 01:00 PM

I'm a little biased.

Throw a bottle of water at him. I bet that'll be the last time he rams into people with that thing.

He's worse than those non-disabled but obese lazy-asses at Wal-Mart that get on those carts and decide to park them sideways in the middle of the aisles.

Whip
11-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Well, there's Waldo.

No, I haven't. I spent a greater part of the 90s looking for his ass before I gave up and got into the Spice Girls instead.

ClintP
11-26-2007, 01:02 PM

I have never seen someone with one who actually did need one... What sparked this thread was a guy on the street who looked like he was high on crack and following a family of pedestrians. What was odd was that he was doing little "jigs" using said walking stick while wearing an all black cowboy ensemble (black boots, black trench coat, black hat). Though I guess he did in fact need that stick to do those bad ass jigs.

Doc Randy
11-26-2007, 01:02 PM

Assuming you are talking about the newer ones you see people hiking with (not a fancy cane):

If you are doing some backcountry hiking, they give you three or four points of contact with the ground, thus improving stability and balance. This can be handy on rocky trails in the mountains. It also allows you to better use your arm muscles on steep inclines.

The other benefit is that they reduce the load on your knees and partially redistribute the weight of your pack to your arms and the sticks.

I have never used them, but I know plenty of people that swear by them.

DaGetHighKnight
11-26-2007, 01:03 PM
I have one that is a sword too, That makes it awesome!

adam_warlock_2099

:D

http://i5.tinypic.com/86pwm0p.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ4FHpSTFf4

This was my favorite smartass response yet. You win the internets!

That's what I thought it was about. But I am pleasently surprised that it gets me a chance to prove that one man with an umbrella sword would prove you wrong. :lol:

ClintP
Throw a bottle of water at him. I bet that'll be the last time he rams into people with that thing.

He's worse than those non-disabled but obese lazy-asses at Wal-Mart that get on those carts and decide to park them sideways in the middle of the aisles.

Assholes at walmart who don't think about the well being of others? Get out of here! :lol:

AAlgar
11-26-2007, 01:04 PM

I'm a little biased.

They don't really screen people who use those things, do they? I suppose anyone could just hop on one and be a dick, come to think of it.

Whip
11-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Assholes at walmart who don't think about the well being of others? Get out of here! :lol:

:lol:

Silly me!

They don't really screen people who use those things, do they? I suppose anyone could just hop on one and be a dick, come to think of it.

Nope, they don't. They have 'em out in front of the Wal-Mart with the shopping carts and anyone can hop on it if they so desire (at least, that's how it is where I've been). I got on one just to see what it was like. I almost fell off.

thatguyfromsyracuse
11-26-2007, 01:10 PM
My dad uses one sometimes because his MS makes him quite unstable on his feet.

ClintP
11-26-2007, 01:12 PM
My dad uses one sometimes because his MS makes him quite unstable on his feet.

But does he run people over? My father in law has MS. Does your dad take the shots?

thatguyfromsyracuse
11-26-2007, 01:15 PM
But does he run people over? My father in law has MS. Does your dad take the shots?

I meant he uses a walking stick, he's not quite to the point of having to use a cart. Yup, he takes the shots. I don't mind shots, but having to get them that frequently would suck.

dasNdanger
11-26-2007, 06:05 PM
I've used a walking stick...either when walking in areas were there might be loose dogs, or when walking in hilly areas. I live in the flatlands...biggest hill we have is a speedbump. So, when I go walking anywhere there's an elevation, I like having a walking stick - it slows ya down going downhill, and helps you go uphill, especially if you have bad knees or hips. It just gives a bit of assistance, and helps take some of the stress off your joints.

It's also good for poking at things that are dead on the side of the road, looking under rocks for snakes, clearing away brush when making a new path, practicing your Wing Chun long pole technique, and doing the limbo.

das

Foolish Mortal
11-26-2007, 06:21 PM
http://i5.tinypic.com/8bstxjq.jpg

EdNEMO
11-26-2007, 06:32 PM
I often carry a cane or an umbrella. I have an old ankle injury from Muay Thai kickboxing back in the day. And my canes are made by Canemasters and my umbrella is the unbreakable fighting model. But, I like to be safe places that don't let me carry my Punisher arsenal. :D