PDA

View Full Version : 'Sopranos' final season focus: Money

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
05-24-2005, 06:27 PM
Creator Chase leaves door open for more
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 Posted: 3:06 PM EDT (1906 GMT)

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- The much-anticipated final season of "The Sopranos" will strike a theme of money and materialism, which for the characters on the hit mob drama is "all they care about," according to creator David Chase.

Chase insisted at a New York appearance Tuesday that the sixth season, now in production, will be the last but still left open the tantalizing possibility that fans won't have to say goodbye to the fictional mob family just yet.

"I really enjoy it, so why leave something like that?" he told a forum sponsored by The New Yorker magazine and the Newhouse School at Syracuse University. "It's just a question of whether the story works out creatively in six seasons, which I think it will. Then we probably shouldn't do a seventh."

Pressed repeatedly on the question of a seventh season, he said, "No. No more," but then conceded the plot line would not have to change drastically for added shows.

"It is possible," he said.

It has long been rumored that the show may climax with a feature film, something producers have remained silent on.

Naturally tight-lipped about who might get "whacked" in the upcoming season, Chase simply said: "Somebody, I guess."

"We do have that machine that sprays blood on the wall," he explained.

The show's creator, writer and executive producer said he has known for two or three years how the violent yet funny series will end. The Emmy Award-winning show made its debut in 1999.

"I started thinking about what are these people really about, what are they really after," he said. "It's going to be about money and about materialism, buying stuff, consumerism.

"That's all they care about," he said. "All that stuff helps them not to think about larger issues. I notice that myself. When I go shopping, I feel better. It's like a high."

The final season of "The Sopranos" is not expected on HBO until spring 2006, nearly two years after the last season ended on the Time Warner Inc.-owned cable channel. (Time Warner also owns CNN.)

Meanwhile, as the show's actors work to replace its profanity-laced lines for future reruns on network television, Chase said he has little problem with HBO making money reselling the hit series.

But he said: "It's going to be very painful for me to see the show transformed like that. I probably won't even look at it."

In his own future, Chase said he would like to try full-length films and make a comedy or a psychological thriller.

Looking back, he said he was relieved that four broadcast television networks originally turned down the opportunity to make "The Sopranos."

"It would have been a plane crash of differing expectations," he said. "We would have had a terrible time."

Network television, particularly hour-long drama shows, "gives such a false picture of life," he said.

"So much of it is a glorification of authority and an attempt to convince the American people that life isn't tragic, that everything works out and all those cops and all those firemen and all those judges and all those doctors, they really care," he said.

His favorite "Soprano" is the burly, hot-tempered mob boss Tony Soprano, played by James Gandolfini. "He's so earnest," Chase said. "I guess that's what I like about him. When he's upset, he really gets upset about something."

Jacob Lyon Goddard
05-24-2005, 06:29 PM
either Tony or Christopher won't see the end, but not both
and Carm's going to get knocked up

Jew Mafia
05-24-2005, 06:34 PM
spring 06? sigh.

V-Man
05-24-2005, 06:56 PM
I miss having illegal satelite when i used to get HBO...among other things.

Mark
05-24-2005, 07:02 PM
Interesting.

BriRedfern
05-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Toni will be whacked at some point.

And one of the kids is dying to. Probably Tony Jr.

Mark
05-24-2005, 07:05 PM
Toni will be whacked at some point.
Basil or Morrison?

BriRedfern
05-24-2005, 07:06 PM
Basil or Morrison?

Bah, I work with two Tonies. Tony. Tony with a Y smart guy.

Scott JB
05-24-2005, 07:54 PM
...should probably rent these dvd's at some point...

Brewtown Andy
05-24-2005, 09:01 PM
...should probably rent these dvd's at some point...Yes, yes you should.

THWIP!
05-24-2005, 09:09 PM
I am going to get the DVDs from my library and watch this show.

stevapalooza
05-24-2005, 09:16 PM
You know what I'd like to see? A spin-off about Tony's father and young Uncle Junior. I always enjoy those episodes where Tony flashes back to his dad.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
05-24-2005, 09:18 PM
I am going to get the DVDs from my library and watch this show.
get them all, and make sure you have no reason to leave your room for a week

King of Mars
05-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Chase already fucked the show up by continuing it longer than he originally intended. He needs to just end this thing with season six.

Bill?
05-24-2005, 10:05 PM
yeah. if one thing is going to bring down tony soprano, its money.

King of Mars
05-24-2005, 10:07 PM
yeah. if one thing is going to bring down tony soprano, its money.Or maybe the gobble goo.:)

dEnny!
05-25-2005, 05:12 AM
Or maybe the gobble goo.:)

gobble? :confused:

If you mean capicola, which is SOOOO good, I believe the spelling is gabagool or gabagoo. ;)

AAlgar
05-25-2005, 05:18 AM
I will be sure to leave my DVD sets to future generations so that they might enjoy season 6 in the 23rd century.

The-Last-Man
05-25-2005, 05:24 AM
Thats a long wait between seasons!

I havent watched season 5 yet, but will be soon when the dvd hits in june.

This show is EASILY in my top 5 of all time :cool:

April
05-25-2005, 05:49 AM
And one of the kids is dying to. Probably Tony Jr.

I hope this to be true.

Doug
05-25-2005, 06:27 AM
Thats a long wait between seasons!

I havent watched season 5 yet, but will be soon when the dvd hits in june.

This show is EASILY in my top 5 of all time :cool:

I thought Season 5 was much better than either seasons 3 or 4. You shall get no spoilers from me, but I will say this was a very good season. Steve Buscemi is a great addition to the cast.

Scotty
05-25-2005, 07:05 AM
I like Money...money is a good focus. Just a year or so away, I can wait that long, the show is amazing it's worth it.

The-Last-Man
05-25-2005, 07:23 AM
I thought Season 5 was much better than either seasons 3 or 4. You shall get no spoilers from me, but I will say this was a very good season. Steve Buscemi is a great addition to the cast.

Steve Buscemi is a great actor. Is he one of the main characters in season 5?

The set is out at the end of June, but i have plenty to watch before this, and may even do a catch up on my sopranos!

Doug
05-25-2005, 10:17 AM
Steve Buscemi is a great actor. Is he one of the main characters in season 5?

The set is out at the end of June, but i have plenty to watch before this, and may even do a catch up on my sopranos!

Yep, Steve plays one of Tony's cousins. If I remember correctly he's not in the first couple of episodes, but he's mentioned so you're prepaired when he shows up.

Constant Reader
05-25-2005, 11:28 AM
Buscemi's an integral part of the Season Five story. I can't wait to get these in a couple of weeks and watch them again.

CR