PDA

View Full Version : Six Feet Under DVDs....

Blandy vs Terrorism
11-17-2007, 04:52 PM
I've seen the first two seasons and enjoyed them, but kinda lost interest in seeing the rest after a while, since I had other things occupying me. Now I'm getting interested again. Worth it?

Garth
11-17-2007, 04:55 PM
I've seen the first two seasons and enjoyed them, but kinda lost interest in seeing the rest after a while, since I had other things occupying me. Now I'm getting interested again. Worth it?

Absolutely. In my personal opinion, it lulls a bit during the third season. The fourth season is extremely dark (but superb!) and then the fifth season is simply amazing. If I were you, I would go for it and buy the complete series box set. It includes some neat extras. It is some of the best tv out there, not much compares with Six Feet Under.

Blandy vs Terrorism
11-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Absolutely. In my personal opinion, it lulls a bit during the third season. The fourth season is extremely dark (but superb!) and then the fifth season is simply amazing. If I were you, I would go for it and buy the complete series box set. It includes some neat extras. It is some of the best tv out there, not much compares with Six Feet Under.

I'd be renting it via Blockbuster Online. I've already got a ton of stuff on my queue, though.

cmoney
11-17-2007, 05:51 PM
One of my favorite television shows of all time.

Garth
11-17-2007, 05:57 PM
I'd be renting it via Blockbuster Online. I've already got a ton of stuff on my queue, though.

fair enough, then they are definitely worth the view, throw them at the top ;-)

Artie Pink
11-17-2007, 06:04 PM
In my opinion, the show falls into the same trap most HBO shows fall into - the characters do the same things over and over, season to season. Episodes 3 through 8 from any season can be layed on top of any other season and pretty much match up.

Keith and David fight over the same things, and go off and make the same mistakes. Nate never says what he wants, then he stews over what he gets. The daughter fucks up her dreams by hanging with losers, then sulks and makes the family miserable. The Mom is sad because her family is growing apart. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I specifically think Six Feet Under is a "look how important our acting and writing is" show, and I don't like that kind of smug, looking-in-the-mirror kind of storytelling.

The final few minutes of the series finale are very moving, though.

cmoney
11-17-2007, 06:39 PM
In my opinion, the show falls into the same trap most HBO shows fall into - the characters do the same things over and over, season to season. Episodes 3 through 8 from any season can be layed on top of any other season and pretty much match up.

Keith and David fight over the same things, and go off and make the same mistakes. Nate never says what he wants, then he stews over what he gets. The daughter fucks up her dreams by hanging with losers, then sulks and makes the family miserable. The Mom is sad because her family is growing apart. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I specifically think Six Feet Under is a "look how important our acting and writing is" show, and I don't like that kind of smug, looking-in-the-mirror kind of storytelling.

Just about everyone I know in life has made the same mistakes over and over, seemingly never learning from them. That trap you refer to is known as real life.

Blandy vs Terrorism
11-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Just about everyone I know in life has made the same mistakes over and over, seemingly never learning from them. That trap you refer to is known as real life.

Yes.

Garth
11-17-2007, 06:50 PM

Yeah, everyone is, of course, entitled to their opinion. But that very fact is what makes HBO shows so realistic. For the most part people don't really change, despite what network shows (and lots of movies) try to tell us.

RobertTN
11-17-2007, 06:53 PM
I have friends who love the show, but...

I had to quit sometime around the fourth season; just couldn't take it anymore. I liked season 1; season 2 was still watchable, and season 3 was god-awful depressing, which was really no fun to watch. It just seemed to have lost some of its quirkiness and just went all the way irritatingly depressing. Season 4 kept that going and threw in some out-of-the-blue dumb storylines and I couldn't take it anymore. A reasonable step: if you rent season 3 and don't like it; don't waste your time with season 4; that's my two cents for ya.

Movie Maker
11-17-2007, 07:51 PM
one of my favorite series of all time. some seaons lag, yes, but overall it is entirely worth it to stick it out.

Boris the Blade
11-17-2007, 09:56 PM
The first time through the third season didn't really work for me.

But fuck me, it works on repeats.

Especially once you know where it's going.

Taxman
11-17-2007, 10:02 PM
I am two episodes into the final season. I think that it is worth it for you to continue. I think that there are a lot of developments which will both surprise and entertain you.

Boris the Blade
11-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Has the final season been spoiled for you? I know few who get into it who haven't been, and I can only imagine what a shock yer in for.

Blandy vs Terrorism
11-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Has the final season been spoiled for you? I know few who get into it who haven't been, and I can only imagine what a shock yer in for.

I know that Nate and Brenda end up not together (I think) but beyond that I got nothin'.

Taxman
11-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Has the final season been spoiled for you? I know few who get into it who haven't been, and I can only imagine what a shock yer in for.The last episode was spoiled for me the day after it aired.

Boris the Blade
11-17-2007, 10:26 PM
I know that Nate and Brenda end up not together (I think) but beyond that I got nothin'.
Okay. Really, I say keep watching, and do not let yourself get spoiled.

I hope you aren't the sentimental type. It turned out that I am, and the last season really, really did a number on me.

Criden
11-18-2007, 08:23 AM
I agree with Garth. I feel awful for those who were spoiled on anything. Six Feet Under is an astounding show. I think if you love it, you will continue to, and if you don't, and you try it again and still don't, it's not worth your time. I think the same goes for all HBO shows (love 'em or hate 'em, they're pretty consistent on the whole).

Taxman
11-18-2007, 08:30 AM
I agree with Garth. I feel awful for those who were spoiled on anything. You'd almost have to crawl under a rock to avoid being spoiled on some of this stuff. I learned of this last Six Feet Under episode watching a morning news show. I had never seen a single episode.

I always watched the Sopranos as it came out on DVD. For that last batch of episodes I learned about three deaths, the final fate of A.J. and the way the series ended just from listening to sports talk radio.

Garth
11-18-2007, 08:34 AM
You'd almost have to crawl under a rock to avoid being spoiled on some of this stuff. I learned of this last Six Feet Under episode watching a morning news show. I had never seen a single episode.

I always watched the Sopranos as it came out on DVD. For that last batch of episodes I learned about three deaths, the final fate of A.J. and the way the series ended just from listening to sports talk radio.

Yeah, that is a shame. Without being cliche, it is part of this new information age we are in. Nothing (as far as media goes) stays under wraps very long. Hell, I came home late one sunday night and decided to catch the west coast feed of that night's Sopranos. A major thing happened, and it was spoiled for me just by me going to check my Yahoo mail. It was a headline on their front page. I was SO bummed, because it was a major surprise in that episode and it was completely ruined.

Taxman
11-18-2007, 08:51 AM
Yeah, that is a shame. Without being cliche, it is part of this new information age we are in. Nothing (as far as media goes) stays under wraps very long. Hell, I came home late one sunday night and decided to catch the west coast feed of that night's Sopranos. A major thing happened, and it was spoiled for me just by me going to check my Yahoo mail. It was a headline on their front page. I was SO bummed, because it was a major surprise in that episode and it was completely ruined.Also that first episode of season 6.1 or whatever they called. What happened at the end of that episode was really everywhere. I don't understand how this stuff is news. Who the hell would care about this stuff who is not watching the show in the first place?

Garth
11-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Also that first episode of season 6.1 or whatever they called. What happened at the end of that episode was really everywhere. I don't understand how this stuff is news. Who the hell would care about this stuff who is not watching the show in the first place?

How can Britney and Lindsey Lohan be considered news either, but look how much time, money, new-space, and energy is devoted to it. I am not surprised they do this, just wish it would be done more discreetly.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
11-18-2007, 09:12 AM
the fourth and first half of the fifth season really drag
they forgot the comedy part of "dark comedy", but the series wraps up very well, and makes up for it

majorjoe23
11-18-2007, 09:15 AM
I just finished the complete series the other day. Well worth it, what a finale!

Taxman
11-29-2007, 07:48 AM
I guess I must have some serious women issues.

I find that I hate just about every female character in this show.

whazisname
11-29-2007, 08:03 AM
they forgot the comedy part of "dark comedy", but the series wraps up very well, and makes up for it

Ditto. The show got ridiculously miserable for a while. They did wrap it up well though.

ClintP
11-29-2007, 08:04 AM

I am watching the last season now and I completely agree. I mainly like watching it so I feel better about my family problems since all of these people are so fucked up. It does seem to have a cycle each season which is kind of lame, but the acting from everyone is great. That guy who plays Billy is a the best ever in that I am not sure if he is really crazy or just a great actor.

ClintP
11-29-2007, 08:05 AM
I guess I must have some serious women issues.

I find that I hate just about every female character in this show.

It's not you. They make them out to be very bitchy. But every character on the show has serious issues though.

Taxman
01-23-2008, 09:41 PM
I specifically think Six Feet Under is a "look how important our acting and writing is" show, and I don't like that kind of smug, looking-in-the-mirror kind of storytelling.I'm guessing you're not a big Jeremy Sisto guy.

Taxman
03-29-2008, 10:33 AM
I just got the DVDs and rewatched the pilot. I had no idea that Jeremy Sisto was in the pilot, no memory of it at all.