PDA

View Full Version : Producers state case in full-page ads

BENDIS!
11-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Producers state case in full-page ads By GARY GENTILE, AP Business Writer
Mon Nov 12, 6:06 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - Producers took out full-page ads in Monday's trade papers to state their case in the strike by Hollywood writers.

ADVERTISEMENT

In ads in "Variety" and "The Hollywood Reporter," studios emphasized that writers already get paid when TV episodes and films are downloaded from Internet stores such as Apple Inc.'s iTunes.

The ads from the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers also stated that writers get a fee, or "residual," when episodes or films are rented online.

Headlined "Setting the Record Straight," the ads offered the group's most extensive public statement on Internet payments since the strike began on Nov. 5.

The Writers Guild of America did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The union resumed its pickets Monday at studios.

Writers do not get paid when TV shows are streamed for free on advertising-supported network sites such as ABC.com or Hulu.com.

But the ads said a proposal to pay writers for that streaming was on the table when talks broke off on Nov. 4.

Producers said payments from digital rentals and downloads were part of the more than $260 million in "record-breaking residuals" paid to members of the Writers Guild of America's West Coast branch in 2006.

Producers said the figure came from the union's 2006 annual report, which didn't break down what percentage of the residuals came from digital distribution.

Writers have said they were fighting for a percentage of revenue from advertising-supported streaming. They also want a larger percentage of revenue from downloading, arguing that digital distribution is reducing payments that used to come from networks repeating TV episodes on broadcast channels.

The union has invited actors to join its picket lines on Tuesday in Los Angeles. Members of the union's East Coast branch were expected to stage a protest on Wall Street.

Both branches sent a letter of support Monday to striking Broadway stagehands.

Members of Local One of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees went on strike Nov. 10 against Broadway producers, shuttering some of New York's most popular plays and musicals.

"Just as you have stood with us in our current strike against the motion picture and television studios and networks, so, too, do we stand with you as you seek the fair and respectful contract that you have earned and deserve," the letter states.

Mwstattel
11-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Shouldn't this post be in the Strike Megathread?

WillieLee
11-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Shouldn't this post be in the Strike Megathread?

Bendis has got to do what Bendis has got to do.

Shane W
11-12-2007, 06:10 PM
So why the hell plead their case to us? Get back to negotiations. :mad:

AAlgar
11-12-2007, 06:10 PM
So why the hell plead their case to us? Get back to negotiations. :mad:

In the middle of negotiations, they broke down.

Mwstattel
11-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Bendis has got to do what Bendis has got to do.

Maybe he's just drunk with power. :scared:

NickT
11-12-2007, 06:14 PM
In the middle of negotiations, they broke down.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/ReaperFett/McHammer.gif

Joe Henderson
11-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Great video using the producer's own soundbites against them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a37uqd5vTw

WillieLee
11-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Great video using the producer's own soundbites against them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a37uqd5vTw

Meh.

Matt Jay
11-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Meh.

A concise rebuttal. Are the studios not paying you enough either?

WillieLee
11-12-2007, 06:29 PM
A concise rebuttal. Are the studios not paying you enough either?

I will refer you to my attorney for further information.

Joe Henderson
11-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Meh.

Explain--I'm curious what you think and why.

WillieLee
11-12-2007, 06:34 PM

Not a fan of out-of-context quotes.

NickT
11-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Reguardless of the point for a moment, do people really think that the irritating typewriter impression helps in any way?

Joe Henderson
11-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Not a fan of out-of-context quotes.

I think the quotes would ring true regardless of context. They were bragging about the money that can be made in the internet and now they're claiming that there's no money to be made.

WillieLee
11-12-2007, 06:47 PM
I think the quotes would ring true regardless of context. They were bragging about the money that can be made in the internet and now they're claiming that there's no money to be made.

You're not really that naive are you?

Joe Henderson
11-12-2007, 06:50 PM
You're not really that naive are you?

You're not really that condescending, are you?

They're bragging about money made on the internet. It's not like they edited clips together to make them say things--they said these words, and I can't think of a context where it would mean anything different. Can you give me an example?

WillieLee
11-12-2007, 06:53 PM
You're not really that condescending, are you?

How is that condescending? You seem to be confusing interviews(undated I might add) conducted on television where they are trying to promote their product with actual revenue figures.

They're bragging about money made on the internet. It's not like they edited clips together to make them say things--they said these words, and I can't think of a context where it would mean anything different. Can you give me an example?

You've got me, I surrender. I haven't been this shocked at the comments of public figures since the revelations of Ed McMahon's audiobook (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA8EgYu7GvA).

Joe Henderson
11-12-2007, 07:05 PM
How is that condescending? You seem to be confusing interviews(undated I might add) conducted on television where they are trying to promote their product with actual revenue figures.

You've got me, I surrender. I haven't been this shocked at the comments of public figures since the revelations of Ed McMahon's audiobook (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA8EgYu7GvA).

Actually, I'm not. What I'm doing is comparing public statements made about the profitability of the internet versus the public statements they're now making about the fact that there's no profit to be had.

And I'm not trying to get you, I'm offering you an opportunity to put your money where your mouth is. Like I said, this isn't an example of someone stringing together sound clips to make someone say what they want them to. This is someone taking soundbites in context and editing them together to make a point. Big difference.

Scotty
11-12-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm waiting for the producers to outsource scripts from other countries.

WillieLee
11-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Actually, I'm not. What I'm doing is comparing public statements made about the profitability of the internet versus the public statements they're now making about the fact that there's no profit to be had.

Statements that have no date attached.

And I'm not trying to get you, I'm offering you an opportunity to put your money where your mouth is. Like I said, this isn't an example of someone stringing together sound clips to make someone say what they want them to. This is someone taking soundbites in context and editing them together to make a point. Big difference.

The context was self-promotion not a true account of their business revenue. People will frequently exaggerate or even lie about business models to serve their own ends. That video is not really a "gotcha" moment. If you can acquire footage from their shareholder meetings you might have a better case.

Joe Henderson
11-12-2007, 07:16 PM

The context was self-promotion not a true account of their business revenue. People will frequently exaggerate or even lie about business models to serve their own ends. That video is not really a "gotcha" moment. If you can acquire footage from their shareholder meetings you might have a better case.

So you're saying that getting caught in a lie is okay as long as it's not in a shareholder meeting?

Scotty
11-12-2007, 07:16 PM

Yes all businesses are evil.

WillieLee
11-12-2007, 07:18 PM
So you're saying that getting caught in a lie is okay as long as it's not in a shareholder meeting?

Sure.

WillieLee
11-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Yes all businesses are evil.

Exactly.

Scotty
11-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Exactly.

I have gotten to the point where they should just ignore the writers find some new ones and make the damn tv shows.

Lord Jermaine Retail
11-12-2007, 07:21 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/ReaperFett/McHammer.gif

I like how you think. Sometimes it takes me a second though...;)

Nick Spencer
11-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Please. The studios all know, hell everyone knows, there's going to be a lot of money made online over the next twenty years. You could've argue that DVD wasn't making any money in '88 obviously, but it did before the contract ended, so it should've been fought for by the writers. They're just refusing to repeat a mistake when the studios really want them to.

And hey, instead of complaining about out of context quotes, how about you look at the companies' quarterly earnings reports, where they make it pretty clear they are indeed profiting already from their online ventures.

Nick Spencer
11-12-2007, 07:57 PM
I have gotten to the point where they should just ignore the writers find some new ones and make the damn tv shows.

Didn't you get schooled enough on this last week? If I remember correctly, you couldn't come anywhere near making a case against the strike, other than you could care less about it besides getting your shows back.

Luckily, most people get that there are bigger and more important things in life than having to watch a rerun.