PDA

View Full Version : Sell me on Brubaker's Criminal

Liquid
11-11-2007, 02:12 PM
I just picked up the first issue and dug it but I'm tight on cash and adding another title to my pull list is going to be a challenge. So give me your reasons why I should be buying this book.

One question though: is the second arc connected to the first? From the solicitations, it looks like a totally new cast. Is there going to be a new cast/storyline with each arc?

Magnum V.I.
11-11-2007, 02:15 PM
I just picked up the first issue and dug it but I'm tight on cash and adding another title to my pull list is going to be a challenge. So give me your reasons why I should be buying this book.

One question though: is the second arc connected to the first? From the solicitations, it looks like a totally new cast. Is there going to be a new cast/storyline with each arc?

The second arc has no connections to the first arc as ramifications of the story. However, the main character in the second arc I believe is mentioned in the first arc. It's really cool because it's all sort of connected by a thread. It's shaping up to be a real expansive universe.

I would pick it up if you enjoy the noir crime stuff. It really is a great book and if you're a fan of Brubakers and enjoy this type of story get it. You might want to get it in trades as it might be cheaper but the trades include no extras.

Donal DeLay
11-11-2007, 02:18 PM
1. It's connected in that the main character in the first arc mentions the main character in the second arc, but you don't need to read either one to understand the other. Kinda like Sin City in that way.

2. It's a solid crime book with great art and good writing. But it does read better as a single story as opposed to broken up into monthly. (in my opinion)

3. The series has fantastic potential. Moreso than any other crime book on the shelves at the moment.

Hock
11-11-2007, 02:42 PM
1. It's connected in that the main character in the first arc mentions the main character in the second arc, but you don't need to read either one to understand the other. Kinda like Sin City in that way.

2. It's a solid crime book with great art and good writing. But it does read better as a single story as opposed to broken up into monthly. (in my opinion)

3. The series has fantastic potential. Moreso than any other crime book on the shelves at the moment.

4. The backmatter in the book is amazing. Essays on crime movies and whatnot by various people. Usually as interesting as the comic itself.

ERNIE_E
11-11-2007, 02:44 PM
There MUST be a subpar superhero book that you could drop. This is one of the best titles period. That's a fact not an opinion. Well written, well drawn, lots of extras in the back. One of the essential monthly comics published today.

Mwstattel
11-11-2007, 02:48 PM
It rules . . . . you're welcome.

ClintP
11-11-2007, 02:48 PM
It is damn good and I will double dip if/when they put out an OHC of it.

Kefky
11-11-2007, 02:50 PM
If you're any kind of noir fan at all, every second you're not caught up makes you look like a dork. :)

Kman00001
11-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Best New Series
Criminal, by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips (Marvel Icon)

That's an Eisner Award WIN, not just a nomination. :cool:

And what everyone above me said, too. :thumb:

PimpSlapStick!
11-11-2007, 04:10 PM

It Brubaker.

ramtower
11-11-2007, 04:16 PM
You need convincing after that first issue?

Seriously, it's great noir, great caper, great characterization, INCREDIBLE art. The whole experience never lets you down. And, as was said earlier, the backmatter (is that even a word? It sounds like a euphemism for poops) is insightful and interesting and provides a number of jumping-off points to try out things you might not have heard of.

Alex(sadly)Maleev
11-11-2007, 04:33 PM
I loved it!

NickT
11-11-2007, 04:34 PM
You need convincing after that first issue?

I did :)

It's a really good series. IMO, the second arc is even better than the first.

Brad N.
11-11-2007, 04:38 PM
It sells itself and I'm SO glad I bought it from the beginning. Of course I'll buy anything Brubaker touches so that wasn't a hard sell for me but really it was a no brainer that I was in for the haul after the debut. I'd send you my copies of the rest of the series but they are currently being loaned out. It's so good I would also double dip on it so I could lend out the trades and keep the singles and all the cool extras in them for myself.

I'm really not adding much to what everyone else said but there you go. Buy it.

majorjoe23
11-11-2007, 05:13 PM
The main character from the first arc has a small cameo in the second, but you don't need to read the first to understand it.

ramtower
11-11-2007, 08:11 PM
I did :)

It's a really good series. IMO, the second arc is even better than the first.

Testify!

S. Earl
11-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Brubaker and Phillips... if you need more then that then I suggest you seek mental help

The backmatter is worth 2.99 alone. I have purchased Point Blank, Chralie Varrack, The long Goodbye, and the original Get Carter because of it. And all 4 are amazing.

Humphrey_Lee
11-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Honestly, I shouldn't have to. If you read the first trade and don't recognize it as one of the top ten or so comics on the market now then I really just don't think you have any hope. That's just the way it is.

Jonny Z
11-11-2007, 09:57 PM
one of the best comics on the stands. period. in fact, off the top of my head, i'd say it's the best non super hero comic out there- and the only comics that i think come close to it are captain america and astonishing x-men. and cassanova.

and the second arc is even better than the first, imho. the second arc was a much tighter and more accesible story. and you wouldn't have any trouble starting with the second arc.

Skatonic10
11-11-2007, 10:27 PM
I'd say buy the first trade. The series pretty much sells itself.

As others have said, the first two arcs really aren't connected, but we will see the characters from the first few arcs start forming a bigger picture eventually.

danlomb
11-12-2007, 02:09 AM
Criminal is a must have, though i must admit it reads better in one sitting

do yourself a favour, at least pick up Coward (vol1)

Ed Brubaker
11-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Hey Liquid -- You should list the comics you buy every month. That way we can all help you decide what to drop to replace with Criminal. ;)

Seriously, though I obviously have a vested interest when it comes to Criminal, I've been telling people this for a while about more indie books. They really need the support that goes to other books that people often just buy out of habit. I've been trying to get more people reading Scalped and Casanova, because those are my favorite new titles in the last few years, and so I've just been saying, "if you can't afford a new series on your budget, look at what you buy. Are there any mainstream superhero titles that you buy out of long-term habit and don't really enjoy much? If so, drop one and try something new that deserves the support."

Indie books usually exist with the threat of the ax at all times, which is something most readers don't understand. We're very lucky on Criminal that our sales have been pretty solid from day one, but we can always use more, as can other good books.

Taxman
11-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Ed Brubaker is the only man to win both an Eisner and a Bendis Board Award.

It's gotta be worth something.

Hock
11-12-2007, 10:00 AM

And he's cool enough to know about awesome Canadian shows like Intelligence.

Ed Brubaker
11-12-2007, 10:08 AM
I'm pretty sure Bendis has a few Eisner and Bendis Board awards.

Taxman
11-12-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm pretty sure Bendis has a few Eisner and Bendis Board awards.I don't know of his winning a Bendis Board Award.

Ed Brubaker
11-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Well, he is pretty unpopular around here...

Skatonic10
11-12-2007, 10:22 AM
I'm pretty sure Bendis has a few Eisner and Bendis Board awards.

He doesn't even have any hair.... are you sure someone has given him an award?

Ed Brubaker
11-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Yeah, he keeps them all stacked in his office bathroom, actually.

They hold up the toilet paper.

Brad N.
11-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Well, he is pretty unpopular around here...

Bah, we love the little bald fella. If we didn't we wouldn't give him so much shit.

Len Snark
11-12-2007, 07:16 PM
It is an awesome book and Ed Brubaker commands that you buy it.

Jef UK
11-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Sell me a Russian prostitute and two grams.

Liquid
11-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Hey Bru, everyone. I'm going to take you up on your offer Bru, but I'm going to list the books I'm considering dropping instead of buying. Although, to be honest, I was pretty much sold by the 2nd page. Anyways, here we go:

Thor (buying this just for the art, but it's really, really pretty)
Loveless (was my fav book last year but Marcelo Frusin leaving really hurt it and a plot twist really "killed" it)
Madman (it doesn't feel like the old fun/adventure comic I fell in love with)
Booster Gold (dropping it if/when Johns leaves as co-writer which I hear is soon)
Detective Comics (was only buying the Dini written issues but 'm not feeling it anymore)
Captain America (hehe, just kidding)

NickT
11-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Hey Bru, everyone. I'm going to take you up on your offer Bru, but I'm going to list the books I'm considering dropping instead of buying. Although, to be honest, I was pretty much sold by the 2nd page. Anyways, here we go:

Loveless (was my fav book last year but Marcelo Frusin leaving really hurt it and a plot twist really "killed" it)
Booster Gold (dropping it if/when Johns leaves as co-writer which I hear is soon)
Detective Comics (was only buying the Dini written issues but 'm not feeling it anymore)
Well personally I think this is something you have to decide on, since it's you who is buying and reading the books :)

Looking at your comments though, I wouldn't drop Thor because you're still enjoying it for why you buy it, and Booster might not lose Johns. I'd consider not considering Loveless since you did love it unless you REALLY don't think it can turn it around.

ERNIE_E
11-12-2007, 08:41 PM

Keep Loveless because you've stuck it out this far and it's probably going to end in another year. Madman comes out pretty irregular. Buy Booster while it's still enjoyable. Thor's always good through a year whenever it's fresh.

Detective? You can drop it and just pick up Batman in trade since they cross over so much in other books.

Ed Brubaker
11-13-2007, 08:01 AM
Yeah, I buy Thor, Booster, and Loveless myself (though you're right about Loveless, I think).

So, I'd vote for Detective Comics. And as an added bonus, you can be assured that DC will never cancel it since the company is named after that specific comic. That's right, DC Comics means Detective Comics Comics.

Jordan K
11-13-2007, 09:20 AM
I would base the decision on what to cancel on the likely hood of a further TP release. So Detective would be the safest by far I think.

NickT
11-13-2007, 09:24 AM
I would base the decision on what to cancel on the likely hood of a further TP release. So Detective would be the safest by far I think.
But dont the Detective trades feature the non-Dini stuff?

rogerio
11-13-2007, 09:30 AM
yeah, lets not forget Sean Phillips' artwork. simply awesome...:)

Jordan K
11-13-2007, 09:37 AM
But dont the Detective trades feature the non-Dini stuff?

It includes the filler stuff?

lame

NickT
11-13-2007, 09:51 AM
It includes the filler stuff?

lame
Not 100%, but I think so.

I think the non-Dini stuff should be collected, I just wish that there was trades of Dini sttuff only. It seems a bit daft that I enjoy the Dini issues, but I'm thinking of dropping the singles because I keep forgetting to buy the Dini stuff or nearly buying non-Dini stuff and I can't put it on my pull list, but I can't go to trades because a lot of the comic I'm paying for isn't what I want.

PeteL
11-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Brubaker and Phillips really believe in their work on Criminal. It is wholly evident in each bit of prose and dialogue, as well as a distinctive, vibrant art style that suits the material perfectly. Their passion is reason enough.

And there's great stuff in the back like interviews and essays each issue.