PDA

View Full Version : Police pepperspray obnoxious kid over pizza

Thudpucker
11-06-2007, 06:14 PM
http://www.myfoxaustin.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=4854466&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.8.1

For six hours, 16-year-old Lorenzo Benavidez, Jr. says he was in excruciating pain. He says he spent most of his time in the bathtub icing down his face, trying to take away the burn of pepper spray.

According to Lorenzo, it all started in the pizza line at his high school cafeteria.

"A teacher accused me of eating a pizza, and then trying to get another one," he says.

The pizza was half-eaten, a problem school administrators say they've been battling this year. Lorenzo says he was wrongfully accused and was asked to pay for two slices.

"He can eat pizza, yes. But not that fast," his father says.

"I just put my plate down and walked outside," says Lorenzo. He says he refused to talk to the principal or go to her office. That's when Round Rock Police were called in for back-up.

"We are not going to tolerate any students that are disrespectful to our staff," says R.R.I.S.D spokeswoman, JoyLynn Occhiuzzi.

Round Rock Police officers arrived on campus, ready to put Lorenzo in handcuffs. But Lorenzo says he wouldn't comply.

"He told me, 'One more time, put your hands behind your back, or I'm going to pepper spray you,'" Lorenzo says. He says he still would not comply, even after the warning. The officer followed through, spraying Lorenzo in the face in the school's courtyard.

"It started burning my face, my head, my neck. Then my eyes started burning, and I couldn't see," he says.

Lorenzo says his friends watched from a distance. "Pretty much the whole school was watching."

Lorenzo's father says there are other ways to get students to comply. He also says the officer used excessive force.

"Pepper spraying, that's not an experience for kids," he says. "There's other ways to put handcuffs on people. If they would have pulled his arms back. There's other ways."

Tuesday afternoon, Round Rock Police spokesman, Eric Poteet released a statement saying:

"Our accredited policies and procedures require a thorough administrative review of every incident in which an officer responds to resistance and/or aggression without exception."

Lorenzo says, if he could do it all over again, he would have complied with the officer's orders. However, Lorenzo's parents say they're planning on filing a complaint with Round Rock Police Internal Affairs. In the next few days, they also hope to meet with school administrators to talk about the incident. They say their son should be punished.

The Hodag
11-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Don't pep me, bro!

ZombieSpeedball
Awesome. Pepper spray to the face. Awesome.

Ray G.
That is unbelievable. They arrested and pepper-sprayed the kid for not complying with school orders? Fuck them. I hope they all lose their jobs. The administrators and the police.

Bill Nolan
Kid's a douche, but his dad is a bigger one.

ZombieSpeedball
11-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Kid's a douche, but his dad is a bigger one.

Yeah. I love how the kid is still getting punished after having been pepper sprayed and spending the day in stingy pain.

GrandeMaestro Fünke
11-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Pepper spray over a fucking slice of pizza?

Movie Maker
11-06-2007, 06:23 PM
this is ridiculous.

ZombieSpeedball
11-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Pepper spray on a fucking slice of pizza?

I wonder how that would taste...

GrandeMaestro Fünke
11-06-2007, 06:27 PM
I wonder how that would taste...

Stingingly delicious?

ZombieSpeedball
11-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Stingingly delicious?

It's stingtastic!

Bill Nolan
11-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Everyone seems to be ignoring everything that happened between the initial pizza incident and the pepper spraying. :mistrust:

Thudpucker
11-06-2007, 06:31 PM
If a cop ever said to me "put your hands behind your back or I'm going to pepper spray you" I think I'd put my hands behind my back.

ZombieSpeedball
11-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Everyone seems to be ignoring everything that happened between the initial pizza incident and the pepper spraying. :mistrust:

Was is sodomy? I think I would have noticed that.

Queen of the Ban Age
11-06-2007, 06:34 PM
More teenagers should be peppersprayed. Hell, it should be mandatory for graduation.

Also, I bet that in the future he'll believe the cops when they tell him to do X or Y is going to happen.

thatguyfromsyracuse
All because a slice of pizza?

jess
your tax dollars at work. go texas!

Bill Nolan
11-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Was is sodomy? I think I would have noticed that.

That happened later. Down at the station. But still in front of all his friends.

ZombieSpeedball
11-06-2007, 06:35 PM
That happened later. Down at the station. But still in front of all his friends.

...cheering him on?

Howlett
11-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Kid should've known better than to argue with a cop when he was warned.

But still... calling the fucking cops? Really? :?

Amos Moses
11-06-2007, 06:37 PM
I don't see why the cop sprayed him. The kid's only 16, the cop could've just strong armed him.

The Hodag
11-06-2007, 06:39 PM
I wonder if this kid had a history of problems that would lead them to call the cops? Or was he just surly that day?

ZombieSpeedball
11-06-2007, 06:39 PM
I don't see why the cop sprayed him. The kid's only 16, the cop could've just strong armed him.

Kid could have claimed the cop molested him. There's no pepper spray involved in molestation. At least, not the type I'm... wait... no. Something went wrong here.

thatguyfromsyracuse
11-06-2007, 06:40 PM
I wonder if this kid had a history of problems that would lead them to call the cops? Or was he just surly that day?

It sounds like the principal just overreacted...A lot.

NickT
11-06-2007, 06:43 PM
"He told me, 'One more time, put your hands behind your back, or I'm going to pepper spray you,'"
Oh noes, their orders are so complex!

Do. What. The. Police. Say.

Shepherd
11-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Well, clearly the school and the cops overreacted a bit, but the kid sounds like he was definitely far out of line. He resisted arrest and was even warned about the pepper spray.

R

thatguyfromsyracuse
11-06-2007, 06:44 PM
I do believe that the kid should have listend to the police, BUT, the pepper spray, it was a bit much.

The Hodag
11-06-2007, 06:45 PM
The pizza was half-eaten, a problem school administrators say they've been battling this year.

This part is sticking with me.

That's a problem a school battles?

FYI, this took place in the city where the comic shop I manage is located. Conservative little town. I'm pretty sure we should be embarrassed, but I want to wait till all the facts are out.

Bill Nolan
11-06-2007, 06:46 PM
1. pizza incident
2. kid refuses to do what told by school officials
3. kid goes to a part of the school grounds where he shouldn't be
4. kid refuses to leave said area
5. kid won't even acknowledge school officials
6. cops are called because they have a student where he isn't supposed to be refusing to do as he is told
7. cops arrive but student refuses to do what he is told by police
8. student is warned that he will be pepper sprayed if he does not comply and he still refuses
9. douche is pepper sprayed

ZombieSpeedball
11-06-2007, 06:47 PM
1. pizza incident
6. cops are called because they have a student where he isn't supposed to be refusing to do as he is told
8. student is warned that he will be pepper sprayed if he does not comply and he still refuses

10. Profit.

Bill Nolan
11-06-2007, 06:48 PM
I think maybe:

10: ?
11: Profit

Thudpucker
11-06-2007, 06:50 PM
I do believe that the kid should have listend to the police, BUT, the pepper spray, it was a bit much.

Some people need life lessons.

Boris the Blade
11-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Tell me there's a chunk of this story missing.

Ray G.
11-06-2007, 06:51 PM
If a cop ever said to me "put your hands behind your back or I'm going to pepper spray you" I think I'd put my hands behind my back.

That's smart. You're not likely to be a victim of police brutality that way.

Masculine Todd
11-06-2007, 06:53 PM
This shit is fucking ridiculous.

That was highly excessive.

Pepperspray hurts tremendously (I know!).

Ray G.
11-06-2007, 06:53 PM
1. pizza incident

This is where things go wrong. I may be behind the times, but I don't recall my school summoning the police when a student was rude and disobeyed. They saved that for when people were in danger.

You know, maybe police are more agitated and likely to use force on these kids because they're tired of being summoned by the principal for shit like this?

GrandeMaestro Fünke
11-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Some people need life lessons.

You don't think it was an extreme action to take? Teenagers are a disgruntled lot, that more often then not don't follow directions.

thatguyfromsyracuse
11-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Principal: Did you eat that pizza?
Student: No...
Principal: Come to my office!!
Student: What?
Principal: POLICE!!!!
Officer: Hands behind your head!
Student: I don't underst...
Officer: *PEPPER SPRAY TO STUDENTS FACE*
Student: Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhggggg!!! Oh God it hurts!!
Officer: Thats what happens when you eat a $1 slice of pizza without paying!!!
Student: But I didn't do anything!!
Officer: *ZAPS WITH TAZER*

Shepherd
11-06-2007, 06:56 PM
This shit is fucking ridiculous.

That was highly excessive.

Pepperspray hurts tremendously (I know!).

I think that's your best avatar pic yet, Todd. Looks like an album cover or something.

R

Shepherd
11-06-2007, 06:57 PM
I think maybe:

10: ?
11: Profit

10. Movie Rights
11. Profit
12. High Fives all around.

R

Howlett
11-06-2007, 06:59 PM
This is where things go wrong. I may be behind the times, but I don't recall my school summoning the police when a student was rude and disobeyed. They saved that for when people were in danger.

You know, maybe police are more agitated and likely to use force on these kids because they're tired of being summoned by the principal for shit like this?

Agreed. I can without doubt say that if this situation happened where I live, it's the school staff that bothered the police about this that would've had to worry about being pepper sprayed.

In my experience, they don't take kindly to being bothered unless it's something serious and "Oh no, Johnny won't listen to teacher!" is not serious.

Bill Nolan
11-06-2007, 06:59 PM

I think school administrators just can't manhandle or tackle kids anymore like they could back in the day. Imagine what sort of lawsuits the father would be threatening if they'd had the gym teacher drag the kid's ass to the principal's office. Schools aren't going to even come close to touching anyone.

Thudpucker
11-06-2007, 07:00 PM
You don't think it was an extreme action to take? Teenagers are a disgruntled lot, that more often then not don't follow directions.

Not at all. Different levels of force are required for different people. When verbal requests and then warnings are ignored an officer has no choice but to become physical.

The officer could either have grabbed the kid and forced him to the ground then handcuffed him or he could pepperspray him. Pepperspray seems much more reasonable, there is less risk of the officer being injured and it's probably safer for the kid too (he'll recover from the spray, a more serious injury is possible from being forced to the ground).

The Hodag
11-06-2007, 07:02 PM
I think school administrators just can't manhandle or tackle kids anymore like they could back in the day. Imagine what sort of lawsuits the father would be threatening if they'd had the gym teacher drag the kid's ass to the principal's office. Schools aren't going to even come close to touching anyone.

Interesting point. I wonder if incidents like this are on the rise because teachers live in mortal fear of lawsuits for even touching a kid?

Thudpucker
11-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Interesting point. I wonder if incidents like this are on the rise because teachers live in mortal fear of lawsuits for even touching a kid?

I think they are. I saw a news report a few weeks ago about the police being called to an elementary school to remove a student. If the parents are not available to come get the kid they said it's thier policy to call the police, there is very little a teacher is allowed to do except ask the kid to behaive.

GrandeMaestro Fünke
11-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Not at all. Different levels of force are required for different people. When verbal requests and then warnings are ignored an officer has no choice but to become physical.

The officer could either have grabbed the kid and forced him to the ground then handcuffed him or he could pepperspray him. Pepperspray seems much more reasonable, there is less risk of the officer being injured and it's probably safer for the kid too (he'll recover from the spray, a more serious injury is possible from being forced to the ground).

Well they could have tried reasoning with him. It seems to me from the article that they immediately asked him to put his hands behind his head. What threat did he pose?

gibbEy
11-06-2007, 07:11 PM
He was suspected of stealing....I know it was something he ate, but it's just like shoplifting....

He didn't obey teachers or the cops, and they sprayed him. You don't get to pick and choose which rules/laws to adhere to.

Serves his ass right.

(and if the cop had grabbed him another way, and hurt him...everyone would be bitching about that.)

ZombieSpeedball
11-06-2007, 07:18 PM

Lulz were had. :lol:

Keith P.
11-06-2007, 07:24 PM
If the police tell you to do something, do it.

Ive interacted with my fair share of police in my time, and never had anything bad happen to me other than a night in jail, that they had no choice in the matter regarding.

I've treated them with respect, yes sir, no sir, etc, and done as I was asked, if you don't, you generally deserve what you get.

And he's a teenager, they should have beat him with an ASP for noncompliance.

Jamie Howdeshell
11-06-2007, 07:30 PM
I always love how some people have such strong reactions to sensationalist articles like this which provide NO context and only the most superficial information.

It cracks me up.
:lol:

ZombieSpeedball
11-06-2007, 07:33 PM
I always love how some people have such strong reactions to sensationalist articles like this which provide NO context and only the most superficial information.

It cracks me up.
:lol:

Dude. High school kid with maceface. What more is necessary?

Jamie Howdeshell
11-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Dude. High school kid with maceface. What more is necessary?

What if the kid has a history of violent behavior?

What if the school or school system had just been sued because they "manhandled" a student?

What if the kid was being verbally abusive to the cops and threatening violent action?

There's no context to make the snap judgments that people are making.

But really, all that is irrelevant. You do what the cops say when they say it. The time to question their actions is later while in court or by seeking disciplinary action against the cops.
Resisting the cops just makes it more dangerous for yourself and for the cops.
It ain't worth it. It's a pretty simple profit/loss analysis.

Smokinblues
11-06-2007, 07:45 PM

What if the school or school system had just been sued because they "manhandled" a student?

What if the kid was being verbally abusive to the cops and threatening violent action?

But really, all that is irrelevant. You do what the cops say when they say it. The time to question their actions is later while in court or by seeking disciplinary action against the cops.
ding. the kid was warned, and still did not cooperate. that much we do know. he deserved what he got.

ZombieSpeedball
11-06-2007, 07:52 PM

And at least the cop didn't shoot him. Which he was well within his rights to do. The kid was a shithead and had it coming.

The Human Target
11-06-2007, 07:53 PM
For godsake, I just wanted to go somewhere quiet to digest the pizza I stole.

Ray G.
11-06-2007, 07:54 PM
And at least the cop didn't shoot him. Which he was well within his rights to do. The kid was a shithead and had it coming.

If the cop had shot the kid, he would have been brought up on murder charges, and those would have been well-deserved.

ZombieSpeedball
11-06-2007, 07:56 PM
If the cop had shot the kid, he would have been brought up on murder charges, and those would have been well-deserved.

Wrong. The kid was refusing arrest. A bullet to the face is in the Geneva Convention or something. I read it in a book.

Ray G.
11-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Wrong. The kid was refusing arrest. A bullet to the face is in the Geneva Convention or something. I read it in a book.

Oh, I get it. This thread has been lost to the LOLcats. I'll be leaving now. :)

Jamie Howdeshell
11-06-2007, 07:58 PM

True. I'm pretty sure the only time a cop can use his weapon is if his or somebody else's life is in immediate, direct danger.

Hollywood hasn't been very straight with us on that score.
:nonono2:

gibbEy
11-06-2007, 07:59 PM
If the police tell you to do something, do it.

Ive interacted with my fair share of police in my time, and never had anything bad happen to me other than a night in jail, that they had no choice in the matter regarding.

I've treated them with respect, yes sir, no sir, etc, and done as I was asked, if you don't, you generally deserve what you get.

And he's a teenager, they should have beat him with an ASP for noncompliance.

That's what I wanted to say...but you did a better job at it.

I'd tell you that I loved you, but I know you'd just make it a painful experience for me.

:)

ZombieSpeedball
11-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Oh, I get it. This thread has been lost to the LOLcats. I'll be leaving now. :)

Oh come on, stay here. It'll be fun.

Brewtown Andy
11-06-2007, 11:49 PM
Apparently no one told the kid the spray works on evaporation. Seriously. Stop making your face wet and it'll stop hurting.

Brewtown Andy
11-06-2007, 11:49 PM
That would never happen.

If only because the spray might be oil based and the taser would light the spray on fire.

:D

JABSEN
11-07-2007, 03:47 AM
Pepper spray over a fucking slice of pizza?No. He was pepper sprayed for not complying with the cop's orders.

Smokinblues
11-07-2007, 04:14 AM
True. I'm pretty sure the only time a cop can use his weapon is if his or somebody else's life is in immediate, direct danger.

Hollywood hasn't been very straight with us on that score.
:nonono2:
true, but irrelevant. the cops didn't shoot anybody. Pepperspraying someone who is resisting after warning them isn't comparable in any way.

ClintP
11-07-2007, 04:27 AM
No. He was pepper sprayed for not complying with the cop's orders.

He should have just gone to the principal's office, but something else happened it sounds like. People need to learn follow orders from an officer. All of these dumb ass stories would just disappear if you complied and said yes sir or no sir.

I am sure there is more to this story and I bet he was being a huge obnoxious brat. See what happens to brats who think they are smarter than the people who hold the pepper spray/tazers? :lol:

TheGibson
11-07-2007, 04:35 AM
(to echo several other posts)

Jesus Christ! This isn't over pizza!! This is over you not doing what a cop tells you. Get cuffed! Go downtown! Call your parents! Get bailed out and file a complaint then!

The administration were asshats, but that's a different issue all together.

I'm getting sick of this. Kid had it coming. Fucking stupid resisting arrest motherfucker...

Bill Nolan
11-07-2007, 04:38 AM
Children today, mostly boys, have been taught by their mothers that they are perfect and don't have to do anything they don't want to do. This is the result.

mikizzle
11-07-2007, 09:34 PM
First off i know this kid and i was friends with him. He does have a violent history. Hes just another wannabe gangster. Check out his myspace.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=39717439

My school had a riot last year over some stupid shit and the cops had to use batons and gallons of mace just to teach those stupids ass kids a lesson. So maybe thats why they instantly called the cops over so they can handle it. Some kids are saying that the cop was racist and that it was totally uneccessary force,but id prefer getting maced than getting my ass taken down by a cop in school because the cop could've done worse injuries then a burning sensation that lasts less that a day.

Any other questions?