PDA

View Full Version : Lost possibly cut short due to strike!

Adrian B AWESOME
11-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Lost: More on the Strike's Repercussions
Lost producer Cuse on the season likely being abbreviated.
by Eric Goldman

November 6, 2007 - EW.com spoke to Lost executive producer Carlton Cuse on Monday, as Cuse, joined by his fellow Lost producer Damon Lindelof, walked the picket line on the first day of the Writers Guild strike.

EW confirms that with the strike underway, Lost will be able to complete only eight episodes of their intended 16 episode fourth season. Barring a quick end to the writers strike, which seems unlikely, those eight episodes might end up being all fans get this television season.

Cuse tells EW that watching those episodes, which ABC is expected to run early next year, "Will feel like buying a Harry Potter book, reading half of it, and then having to put it down for many months."

Cuse says that the eighth episode ends with a cliffhanger and that "It will only be frustrating [for viewers] to have to step away from the show and not see the second half of the season. The first half of the season, like a good novel, sets all the events of the show in motion and the second half deals with the consequences. We're very proud of the first eight but it feels weird to have to stop literally mid-stream."

Taken from IGN

Ben
11-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Alright, enough with the strike already! C'mon! End it!

Jef UK
11-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Man, I don't know of a single other industry where creators can turn in work so late and not get fired!

AAlgar
11-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Alright, enough with the strike already! C'mon! End it!

Yeah, we wouldn't want Lost's unresolved plotlines to frustrate people.

Ben
11-06-2007, 08:28 AM
Yeah, we wouldn't want Lost's unresolved plotlines to frustrate people.With all these shows shutting down, at what point does it become unprofitable to continue the strike from the studio side? All these shows!

The Dean
11-06-2007, 08:30 AM
We're just a few days into the strike and months of television seems to be already canceled...

I know these seasons haven't been written in 2 days. Is it just a ploy of "management" to Chicken Little about the strike and problems it would cause?

Ben
11-06-2007, 08:33 AM
We're just a few days into the strike and months of television seems to be already canceled...

I know these seasons haven't been written in 2 days. Is it just a ploy of "management" to Chicken Little about the strike and problems it would cause?I think so, too. It makes sense. It's a good strategy.

ThisSpaceForRent
11-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Lost: More on the Strike's Repercussions
Lost producer Cuse on the season likely being abbreviated.
by Eric Goldman

November 6, 2007 - EW.com spoke to Lost executive producer Carlton Cuse on Monday, as Cuse, joined by his fellow Lost producer Damon Lindelof, walked the picket line on the first day of the Writers Guild strike.

EW confirms that with the strike underway, Lost will be able to complete only eight episodes of their intended 16 episode fourth season. Barring a quick end to the writers strike, which seems unlikely, those eight episodes might end up being all fans get this television season.

Cuse tells EW that watching those episodes, which ABC is expected to run early next year, "Will feel like buying a Harry Potter book, reading half of it, and then having to put it down for many months."

Cuse says that the eighth episode ends with a cliffhanger and that "It will only be frustrating [for viewers] to have to step away from the show and not see the second half of the season. The first half of the season, like a good novel, sets all the events of the show in motion and the second half deals with the consequences. We're very proud of the first eight but it feels weird to have to stop literally mid-stream."

Taken from IGN

you missed some

Next, EW.com asked "When the fuck is your friend here going to finish Ultimate Hulk & Wolverine? Seriously? He couldn't find a couple hours a month to at least PLOT the damn thing and let someone else script it? He saw what Marvel did with Dark Tower, right? Can he just, you know, do that?

Hurnslice
11-06-2007, 08:58 AM

I know these seasons haven't been written in 2 days. Is it just a ploy of "management" to Chicken Little about the strike and problems it would cause?

A lot of the scripts aren't "finished". Meaning final notes and scene changes and polished dialog haven't been okayed by the studios.

A lot of these shows have writers on set to fix last minute problems and showrunners to over see final product and work in the editing room. All of which is considered writing.

So if the show hasn't completed shooting and in the can, it's unfinished.

Lost is basically saying it only has 8 finished shows and Cuse et al is refusing to complete any more until the strike is resolved.

Taxman
11-06-2007, 09:01 AM
A lot of the scripts aren't "finished". Meaning final notes and scene changes and polished dialog haven't been okayed by the studios.

A lot of these shows have writers on set to fix last minute problems and showrunners to over see final product and work in the editing room. All of which is considered writing.

Lost is basically saying it only has 8 finished shows and Cuse et al is refusing to complete any more until the strike is resolved.I am not even sure the episodes are finished. The story says "will be able to complete only eight episodes". it doesn't sound finished to me. I am sure that the standards of what is a usable script become a bit more fluid in these situations.

The Dean
11-06-2007, 09:02 AM

Lost is basically saying it only has 8 finished shows and Cuse et al is refusing to complete any more until the strike is resolved.

I work in advertising and I get what you're saying; I go through a similar process. However, it's only been a holiday weekend of missing work...

Hurnslice
11-06-2007, 09:03 AM
I am not even sure the episodes are finished. The story says "will be able to complete only eight episodes". it doesn't sound finished to me. I am sure that the standards of what is a usable script become a bit more fluid in these situations.

That suggests that they are going to complete the shows without writers on the set.

That sounds like a horrible idea to me.

allanpat
11-06-2007, 09:06 AM
i was waiting for this to happen. i was hoping LOST wouldn't be affected as much as other shows since they were starting their season late & hopefully already had most of the season wrapped, but looks like i was wrong.

i don't think the TV strike is that big a deal for non-episodic shows like Daily Show, Letterman, SNL etc... but for shows like Heroes, LOST & the final season of Scrubs it's really a big blow to the overall story.

Still, regardless of it sucking as a fan, i'm totally on the writers side. They're getting screwed on DVD/Internet sales.

Taxman
11-06-2007, 09:06 AM
That suggests that they are going to complete the shows without writers on the set.

That sounds like a horrible idea to me.Make no mistake about it, they did it last strike. They will have "writers" on set, just different writers.

Hurnslice
11-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Make no mistake about it, they did it last strike. They will have "writers" on set, just different writers.

Really? Who? and how?

JoeE
11-06-2007, 09:21 AM
I don't mind waiting for Lost, it's the "C" word I'm afraid of.

Taxman
11-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Really? Who? and how?I don't know the specifics buy many industries try to "make do" during a strike. They will stick someone from management (non union member) into a position to do what they can. The last writers strike went on for a long time and a new TV season began, I don't believe many scripted shows were put on hold. There must be things you can read about it around somewhere. I can't imagine many scripts considered "finished" now are not going to be placed into production.

A.Huerta
11-06-2007, 10:34 AM
I thought Lost was canned.

Hurnslice
11-06-2007, 10:55 AM
I don't know the specifics buy many industries try to "make do" during a strike. They will stick someone from management (non union member) into a position to do what they can. The last writers strike went on for a long time and a new TV season began, I don't believe many scripted shows were put on hold. There must be things you can read about it around somewhere. I can't imagine many scripts considered "finished" now are not going to be placed into production.

sure, but they aren't writers. maybe producers.

Taxman
11-06-2007, 10:59 AM
sure, but they aren't writers. maybe producers.They're not writers, but the are writing, hence the use of quotation marks.

Albert
11-06-2007, 11:09 AM
I don't mind waiting for Lost, it's the "C" word I'm afraid of.

Get rid of the Seaward.

JoeE
11-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Get rid of the Seaward.

"I'll leave when I'm good and ready!"

Skatonic10
11-06-2007, 11:23 AM
We're very proud of the first eight but it feels weird to have to stop literally mid-stream."

I know what he means. It always burns when I try to stop mid-stream.

Rosdower 3.0
11-06-2007, 11:31 AM
Make no mistake about it, they did it last strike. They will have "writers" on set, just different writers.

will these "writers" then be blacklisted for working during the strike?

Donal DeLay
11-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Man, I don't know of a single other industry where creators can turn in work so late and not get fired! :scared:

Rosdower 3.0
11-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Man, I don't know of a single other industry where creators can turn in work so late and not get fired!

:) comics.

PeteL
11-06-2007, 02:41 PM
I was waiting for this.

LowKey
11-06-2007, 03:01 PM

Two words: Chinese Democracy.