PDA

View Full Version : HDTV: 720p vs 1080i vs 1080p.

Bryan H
11-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Apologies if this has been discussed recently, I searched but didn't come up with any answers.

So I picked up one of those el cheapo HD-DVD players, and its working great. I have an older HDTV, 720p, and the movies look fantastic. So much so it has me asking now, can it look even better? As much as I love technology, I'm woefully ignorant of the various differences besides bigger numbers between mine and these newer sets. Is the difference between 720p and 1080i/p noticable, or even worth dropping another grand or so if I already have a good set at home?

Smokinblues
11-03-2007, 11:05 AM
the difference between 720 and 1080 is only really noticable on the larger (50 and up) screens. There will be a difference, but not anywhere near the difference, say, between standard def and hi def. If you already have a good set just enjoy it.

WillieLee
11-03-2007, 11:06 AM
It's not that important.

Alexander Hamilton
11-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Apologies if this has been discussed recently, I searched but didn't come up with any answers.

So I picked up one of those el cheapo HD-DVD players, and its working great. I have an older HDTV, 720p, and the movies look fantastic. So much so it has me asking now, can it look even better? As much as I love technology, I'm woefully ignorant of the various differences besides bigger numbers between mine and these newer sets. Is the difference between 720p and 1080i/p noticable, or even worth dropping another grand or so if I already have a good set at home?

I totally think so. If you're a football fan, the 1080p makes you want cry due to it's beauty.

of course, this was on 62".

Bryan H
11-03-2007, 11:09 AM
the difference between 720 and 1080 is only really noticable on the larger (50 and up) screens. There will be a difference, but not anywhere near the difference, say, between standard def and hi def. If you already have a good set just enjoy it.

Alright, thanks. While I've got you here, is there a huge difference between using component cables and HDMI cables? I bought component basically out of habit, I'm a dinosaur when it comes to this shit.

Bryan H
11-03-2007, 11:11 AM
I totally think so. If you're a football fan, the 1080p makes you want cry due to it's beauty.

of course, this was on 62".

Goddamn, I can only imagine. Think if I save for a year or more I can spring for one of the bad boys, cause at this point if I do upgrade that'd be the way to go.

And by then they'll be hitting 100'', and I won't have anymore reason to leave the house.

WillieLee
11-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Alright, thanks. While I've got you here, is there a huge difference between using component cables and HDMI cables? I bought component basically out of habit, I'm a dinosaur when it comes to this shit.

There's not a huge difference but some will say there is.

Rush2112
11-03-2007, 11:17 AM

That is impossible. None of broadcasters are filming/airing their material in 1080P. It is either shot in 720P or 1080i. The only current 1080P source comes from HD DVD, Blu Ray, PS3, and I think Xbox360.

Alexander Hamilton
11-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Goddamn, I can only imagine. Think if I save for a year or more I can spring for one of the bad boys, cause at this point if I do upgrade that'd be the way to go.

And by then they'll be hitting 100'', and I won't have anymore reason to leave the house.

My friend who has it goes to work and plays X-Box 360. That's it. When he first got it, we were all like the monkeys in the beginning of 2001.

Bryan H
There's not a huge difference but some will say there is.

Cool, I'm set then. Thanks for the help guys, probably prevented me from making a boneheaded purchase. I appreciate it.

Alexander Hamilton
That is impossible. None of broadcasters are filming/airing their material in 1080P. It is either shot in 720P or 1080i. The only current 1080P source comes from HD DVD, Blu Ray, PS3, and I think Xbox360.

sorry... meant i.

Rush2112
11-03-2007, 11:24 AM
is there a huge difference between using component cables and HDMI cables?

HDMI is more convenient for some because it combines audio and video into one cable. But the part I like most about HDMI is that it is a digital signal. It allows for the highest quality video and audio. Without HDMI, you cannot experience 1080P and Dolby True HD, DTS HD Master. Because HDMI is all digital, you can buy a cheap $10 cable from monoprice.com and it will perform like the $150 Monster cable. Because component cables are analog, the quality of cable does matter and you will need the expensive stuff to get a pristine picture.

J Money
11-03-2007, 03:13 PM
HDMI is more convenient for some because it combines audio and video into one cable. But the part I like most about HDMI is that it is a digital signal. It allows for the highest quality video and audio. Without HDMI, you cannot experience 1080P and Dolby True HD, DTS HD Master. Because HDMI is all digital, you can buy a cheap $10 cable from monoprice.com and it will perform like the $150 Monster cable. Because component cables are analog, the quality of cable does matter and you will need the expensive stuff to get a pristine picture.

I cant get my HDMI to to work with audio surround sound, still using the red and white cables. Got some manual readin' to do tonight.

BERMAN_NEWS!
11-03-2007, 03:27 PM
I cant get my HDMI to to work with audio surround sound, still using the red and white cables. Got some manual readin' to do tonight.

Red and White (called stereo composite cables) do not carry surround sound. They only carry stereo (analog left and right channels only). If you want surround sound (more than two speakers) you need to use an optical (tos link) cable, a digital coax or six channel composite cables.

J Money
11-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Red and White (called stereo composite cables) do not carry surround sound. They only carry stereo (analog left and right channels only). If you want surround sound (more than two speakers) you need to use an optical (tos link) cable, a digital coax or six channel composite cables.
Thanks for that info. I thought the HDMI cable would do it all, like it says on the box.:-? You would think they would include one of those extra surround sound cables with the surround sound system I purchased.

Wagon
11-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks for that info. I thought the HDMI cable would do it all, like it says on the box.:-? You would think they would include one of those extra surround sound cables with the surround sound system I purchased.

if you have a receiver that accepts HDMI connections, then yes, it should be able to do it all. it might depend on the settings on your player, though.