PDA

View Full Version : Horror Movie recommendation thread!

Ethan Van Sciver
11-02-2007, 09:26 PM
Good ones only, please. And even better if they're kind of obscure. We've all seen POLTERGEIST. :cool:

I just watched a MASTERS OF HORROR called Cigarette Burns...

Amazing, Grant Morrison style high concept: A film may exist that contains actual footage of an angel being mutilated, and watching it causes madness. A wealthy film collector hires a man to find the legendary film at any cost.

Without a doubt, this was the eeriest, most disturbing film I've seen in a long time, with echoes of David Lynch at his weirdest. I felt dread, actually not wanting to see the film itself if it was found. A very surprising piece of work.

It's only an hour long, and it does contain some juicy gore moments (not many, not so tasteless) but it will cause you to have nightmares.

(akaRyanHoffman)
11-02-2007, 09:28 PM
Just watched Lucky McKee's May for the first time this week. The first hour may be one of the creepiest movies I've ever seen. Creeeeeeeeeepy.

(akaRyanHoffman)
11-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Yes, Cigarette Burns is the best thing Carpenter has done is years.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-02-2007, 09:30 PM

In fact, EVER. I hate almost all of his movies. I was stunned by this.

thatguyfromsyracuse
11-02-2007, 09:32 PM

Damn, I almost bought this tonight, but passed on it. I heard about it, and now will have to buy it.

(akaRyanHoffman)
11-02-2007, 09:34 PM

No shit? I think Carpenter has many a fun film. I'd go as far as to call Halloween, The Thing and maybe Starman GREAT films.

(akaRyanHoffman)
11-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Probably my favorite Horror/Supernatural film released this decade:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51VGSZ5G4ML._SS500_.jpg

thatguyfromsyracuse
11-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Obscure horror movies? Uh...

Ethan Van Sciver
11-02-2007, 09:36 PM

REALLY? What's it about?

thatguyfromsyracuse
11-02-2007, 09:37 PM

Oh, yeah, good one! "Only demons should fear me, you're not a demon are you?" me and my cousin say this to each other all the time for some reason.

Masculine Todd
11-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Night of the Demons. Stupid, cheesy, frightening and fun '80s horror flick. You'll love it.

thatguyfromsyracuse
11-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Phantasm although it's been a long time since I've seen it.

(akaRyanHoffman)
11-02-2007, 09:41 PM
REALLY? What's it about?

Hmm...without giving too much away:

A widower with two sons is told by the angel Gabriel that it his mission to hunt down demons that have taken up the guise of man. Did Gabriel really come to him or is he insane. Well...you'll have to watch it to find out.

UltimateQuintessa
11-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Resident Evil Extinction

Joshzilla
11-02-2007, 10:19 PM
I will always love any of the Evil Dead Trilogy.

Also, just watched Planet Terror, which was great.

The original Nightmare on Elmstreet.

The Hodag
11-02-2007, 11:20 PM

Phantasm for sure. It's weird as hell and somehow ends up being served by the amateurish acting and weird 70s atmosphere. Best of all, there's nothing else like it. The mythology of the Tall Man, the dwarves, the sphere, the mortuary settings, the music...it all adds up to a horror concept like no other.

And much as I like Phantasm, I have to confess I prefer its slicker, gorier sequel. It veers a touch into the over-the-top, Evil Dead style, but honestly, I prefer it to the Evil Dead stuff.

Brian Defferding
11-03-2007, 12:35 AM
You gotta watch The Exorcist III if you haven't yet.

If you choose to do so, here's some important things to know:

-George C. Scott plays Detective Kinderman, the Detective from the first movie/book. Kinderman says in III that he and Damien Karras were best friends; when in fact that wasn't true, they only just met in the first Exorcist.

-Karras's Priest friend from the first Exorcist, Father Joseph Dyer, is played by a totally different person that looks nothing like the first Joseph Dyer.

These things may throw people off. If you can get past that though you'll love the movie. Great dialog, great direction, the eerie mood just drenches this film. And some wonderful "Gotcha" moments.

(akaRyanHoffman)
11-03-2007, 12:39 AM
You gotta watch The Exorcist III if you haven't yet.

If you choose to do so, here's some important things to know:

-George C. Scott plays Detective Kinderman, the Detective from the first movie/book. Kinderman says in III that he and Damien Karras were best friends; when in fact that wasn't true, they only just met in the first Exorcist.

-Karras's Priest friend from the first Exorcist, Father Joseph Dyer, is played by a totally different person that looks nothing like the first Joseph Dyer.

These things may throw people off. If you can get past that though you'll love the movie. Great dialog, great direction, the eerie mood just drenches this film. And some wonderful "Gotcha" moments.

that might be one of my "30 Movies in 30 Days" Movies. I saw it once, some time ago. I remember the "Gotcha" moments, but it does reinforce the fact that George C. Scott is, in fact, AWESOME.

Humphrey_Lee
11-03-2007, 01:03 AM
Audition?

joespam
11-03-2007, 01:27 AM
In fact, EVER. I hate almost all of his movies. I was stunned by this.Seriously Ethan, I hope you're only saying this because you haven't seen The Fog, The Thing, They Live, and Prince of Darkness.

I already know you disdain the original Halloween, but I can almost forgive you given how far the genre's progressed since then.

(akaRyanHoffman)
11-03-2007, 01:29 AM
I'm curiose why you dislike the original Halloween Mr. Van Sciver...

Pat Shatner
11-03-2007, 02:07 AM
Audition?
Hated it. Bored the shit out of me.

I suggest-
Slither
That abortion episode of Masters of Horror
Altered States
Lair of the White Worm
Inland Empire
Suspiria
Cannibal Holocaust

And my all time favorite creepy horror movie, Jacob's Ladder. It creeps me out every single time I watch it.

(akaRyanHoffman)
11-03-2007, 02:20 AM
Hated it. Bored the shit out of me.

I suggest-
Slither
That abortion episode of Masters of Horror
Altered States
Lair of the White Worm
Inland Empire
Suspiria
Cannibal Holocaust

And my all time favorite creepy horror movie, Jacob's Ladder. It creeps me out every single time I watch it.

I think Audition (with the exception of Visitor Q) is one of the few Miike movies the worked for me. I think the slow-ass atmosphere worked for the mundane, "I'm looking for somebody who'd be with me" dating story of the movie.

Slither: A whole lot o' fun

Pro-Life: The second Carpenter episode. I think we may one of the few wh thought it worked. I'll buy it at Best Buy tomorrow for $5.
Altered States: I've seen one. It's Paddy Chyhowveveryouspell his last name. It's weird and that's about all I remember and I should give it another wattch.
and that's about all about I remember about Lair Of The White Worm. What the hell happened to Ken Russell?
Inland Empire I'm waiting to get for $5. It's the only thing I haven't seen by Lynch.
Suspiria isn't necessarily GOOD, but DAMN does the atmosphre work for it. the best Dario Argento movie and the soundtrack is fantastic.
I don't think I'll ever have the balls to watch Cannibal Holocaust.
Jacob's Lader...maybe I'll watch it again someday, but the ending pissed me off.

Pat Shatner
11-03-2007, 02:27 AM
I think Audition (with the exception of Visitor Q) is one of the few Miike movies the worked for me. I think the slow-ass atmosphere worked for the mundane, "I'm looking for somebody who'd be with me" dating story of the movie.

Slither: A whole lot o' fun

Pro-Life: The second Carpenter episode. I think we may one of the few wh thought it worked. I'll buy it at Best Buy tomorrow for $5.
Altered States: I've seen one. It's Paddy Chyhowveveryouspell his last name. It's weird and that's about all I remember and I should give it another wattch.
and that's about all about I remember about Lair Of The White Worm. What the hell happened to Ken Russell?
Inland Empire I'm waiting to get for $5. It's the only thing I haven't seen by Lynch.
Suspiria isn't necessarily GOOD, but DAMN does the atmosphre work for it. the best Dario Argento movie and the soundtrack is fantastic.
I don't think I'll ever have the balls to watch Cannibal Holocaust.
Jacob's Lader...maybe I'll watch it again someday, but the ending pissed me off.

From Wikipedia:
2000s

Russell had a cameo in the 2006 film adaptation of Brian Aldiss's novel Brothers of the Head by the directors of Lost in La Mancha. He also had a cameo in the 2006 Colour Me Kubrick. He directed a segment for the horror anthology Trapped Ashes (2007) which also includes segments directed by Sean S. Cunningham, Monte Hellman, and Joe Dante. He is currently in pre-production for two films: The Pearl of the Orient and Kings X.

Efforts such as The Lion's Mouth (2000) and The Fall of the Louse of Usher (2002) have suffered from low production values (for example, being shot in video on Russell's estate, and often featuring Russell himself) and limited distribution.

Since 2004 Russell has been visiting professor of the University of Wales, Newport Film School. One of his many tasks is to advise students on the making of their graduate films. He also presented the Finest Film Awards (for graduate filmmakers of Newport) in June 2005.

Russell was appointed visiting fellow at the University of Southampton in April 2007, where he will act in a similar capacity to his role at the Newport Film School, until March 2008. His arrival was celebrated with a screening of the rare director's cut of The Devils hosted by Mark Kermode.

Russell is currently (2007) in production of his first full length film in almost 5 years, Moll Flanders, an adaption of Daniel Defoe's novel, starring Lucinda Rhodes-Flaherty and Barry Humphries.

And also, the ending of Jacob's Ladder didn't really blow me away, but man everything leading up to it was just perfect. I love that fucking movie.

(akaRyanHoffman)
11-03-2007, 02:33 AM
I'm kinda surprised Ken Russel hasn't had a Masters of Horror episode.

Michael Blacklist
11-03-2007, 02:52 AM

All of this is correct.

(akaRyanHoffman)
11-03-2007, 03:19 AM
Hey, Michael:

What movie is that in your avatar?

Adrian B AWESOME
11-03-2007, 03:59 AM
Frailty is GREAT.

Along those lines (Bill Paxton), Near Dark is fantastic.

Although not "horror films," Mulholland Dr. and Eraserhead disturb me in many ways.

And Ethan, I can understand if you don't like Carpenter (even though The Fog and Halloween are amazing) but not liking The Thing is a crime.
I always liked the original Wicker Man, and the remake is awesomely bad.

Of course films like Re-Animator, Scanners, and The Fly (two Cronenbergs!) will always be high on my list.

costello
11-03-2007, 04:59 AM
What are your thoughts on old horror (1920s-1940s)?

costello
11-03-2007, 05:00 AM

I hated this film and can't understand the appeal.

Robert James
11-03-2007, 05:07 AM
I have to say Carpenter's "The Thing" is one of my all-time favorite horror movies. Such a well-made movie that builds up the paranoia with an ending that can be interpreted in any number of interesting ways, depending on how you look at it. "Dark City" is more sci-fi than horror, but it still has some very creepy and bizarre moments to it. "The Machinist" is a more recent movie, with a slow build-up with you questioning the character's decent into madness. "Near Dark" is another excellent, and somewhat obscure movie these days. Not only does it have Bill Paxton in it, but Lance Henrikson and a very young Adrian Pasdar.

One horror movie I just can't get into however, is Romero's "Dawn of the Dead." I loved the remake, but the original just strikes me as more of a social commentary (which it is), than the horror movie it's classified as.

cmoney
11-03-2007, 05:30 AM
Huh, I didn't really care for Cigarette Burns myself, and I loves me some Carpenter. I definitely have to echo the Near Dark and Frailty recommendations in this thread so far, and perhaps add a Cemetery Man and The Brood.

Jet
11-03-2007, 05:56 AM
The Descent

Alexander Hamilton
11-03-2007, 06:01 AM
The Descent

Really? I was disappointed with that movie, myself. Cool concept. Just didn't work for me.

Mr. E!
11-03-2007, 06:15 AM
Hmmm, let's see...
If you want gore, I'd try Dead Alive.
I'm a big fan of Audition as well. I saw Imprint, his Masters of Horror episode. I'm not surprised Showtime refused to show it.
Jacob's Ladder is a fun lil mindfuck.
The Exorcist
Alien
Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer

Adrian B AWESOME
11-03-2007, 06:39 AM
Aw yeah, LOVE Henry. Absolutly LOVE it.

I guess even though it's not really a "horror" movie, Monster is a great flick with a horrible looking Charlize Theron.

costello
11-03-2007, 06:40 AM
Really? I was disappointed with that movie, myself. Cool concept. Just didn't work for me.

I loved The Descent. I thought it was one of the best horror films made in the last 20 years.

Sackhead
11-03-2007, 06:42 AM

I don't understand how you can say is 'isn't necessarily good'? As a horror movie it does everything right.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-03-2007, 07:05 AM
I don't understand how you can say is 'isn't necessarily good'? As a horror movie it does everything right.

Most disappointing flick ever. I wanted to like it soooo much but there's no story and the violence is sparse. The acting is atrocious. Sure, everything is colorful and shit, but it's to the point of gaudy.

The only reedeming factor is the maginficent soundtrack.

I prefer Opera, but even that has its flaws and one of the worst endings in the world.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-03-2007, 07:06 AM
As far as old flicks, Universal's Dracula and Frankenstein are great, but Bride of Frankenstein is one of the greatest monster movies ever made.

BURKE
11-03-2007, 07:12 AM
Carpenters The Thing is one of the greatest horror movies EVER.

Scotty
11-03-2007, 07:28 AM
The Changeling - George S Scott with a haunted house.

Exorcist III- Holds possibly the single scariest moment ever put on film.

Audition- Horrifying it wraps you like a baby and tells you it's going to be okay then drops you on your head.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacare II- great cast, great gore

John Carpenter's Apoclypse Triology which includes:

The Thing: Possible the best Horror remake ever.
Prince of Darkness: Carpenter and the end of the world.
In the Mouth of Mouth of Madness: Carpenter homage to Lovecraft.

Some Awesome Master's of Horrors
Family By John Landis and stars George Windt
Dance of the Dead with Robert England directed by Tobe Hooper
Imprint- Amazingly Brutal Directed by Takashi Miike
The Screwfly Solution- Nifty weird and fun

GelfXIII
11-03-2007, 07:28 AM
Absolutely the bestest horror flick of ALL TIME!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/gelf13/Incrediblemeltingman.jpg

Well, maybe not the bestest, but my Dad made it.

Thudpucker
11-03-2007, 07:35 AM
Waxwork.

Rivka
11-03-2007, 08:24 AM
You have to think what Ethan V.S. is going to like, though. I don't think he would like JACOB'S LADDER, because it's kind of left-wing. I agree that JACOB'S LADDER is a great horror/scifi film.

I also think Carpenter's THE THING is one of the best scifi-horror films ever made. Right up there with the original ALIEN. But Ethan says he doesn't like Carpenter, so ...

Okay, I would second the recommendation of CURSE OF THE DEMON. Also, the original black-and-white HAUNTING with Julie Harris. Much more scarey than the special-effects heavy remake.

Some of my other favorite, more subtle, scarey horror films are:

THE BAD SEED (creepy little Rhoda, baby antisocial and murderer).
THE UNINVITED (a ghost story starring the beautiful and sad Gail Russell, but almost impossible to find; you have to wait for it to show up on a movie channel).
NEAR DARK (a vampire story)
DON'T LOOK NOW (a really really creepy horror film, with Donald Sutherland, directed by Nicolas Roeg, based on a Daphne Du Maurier story).
PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK (very subtle, brilliant film, set in turn of the century Australia).
UGETSU (one of my favorite Japanese films of all time, a ghost story).
DARK WATER (the Japanese version, very scarey, in my opinion.
THE RING (both Japanese and American versions. The American remake scared the poop out of me when I first saw it).
ANGEL HEART (with Charlotte Rampling, DeNiro, and Mickey Rourke, also very scarey and disturbing, in my opinion).
THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE (one of the more recent great horror films, directed by the current probably best horror and fantasy director, Guillermo del Toro).
ROSEMARY'S BABY (still great after all these years, in my opinion).
REPULSION (Polanski's first important film, starring Deneuve, maybe not technically a horror film, but unsettling and creepy as well).
PI (Aronofsky film, I thought it was disturbing enough to be a horror film).

Others:
THE CUBE, THE HOWLING, THE SHINING (Kubrick's version), THE EXORCIST (also still scarey after all these years), CARNIVAL OF SOULS, CARRIE (almost a cult film now).

Some horror films I like with funnier moments, THE LOST BOYS, THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS, and DOLLS.

Bill!
11-03-2007, 08:31 AM
Great horror movies that aren't widely popular:

Ravenous
Devil's Backbone
Jacob's Ladder
Kalifornia
Last House on the Left
Cujo
Near Dark
Open Water

and I'll include Silent Hill because its probably the best horror movie made in a long long time.

and honorable metion for both Blair Witch Project and the Ring for being genuinely great horror flicks that molded the genre.
Boo to Hostel for molding the genre into something just plain awful.

Mr. E!
11-03-2007, 11:26 AM
You have to think what Ethan V.S. is going to like, though. I don't think he would like JACOB'S LADDER, because it's kind of left-wing. I agree that JACOB'S LADDER is a great horror/scifi film.

How is Jacob's Ladder kind of left wing?:mistrust:

Ethan Van Sciver
11-03-2007, 11:38 AM

Your dad made The Amazing Melting Man?

Ethan Van Sciver
11-03-2007, 11:39 AM

I also think Carpenter's THE THING is one of the best scifi-horror films ever made. Right up there with the original ALIEN. But Ethan says he doesn't like Carpenter, so ...

Okay, I would second the recommendation of CURSE OF THE DEMON. Also, the original black-and-white HAUNTING with Julie Harris. Much more scarey than the special-effects heavy remake.

Some of my other favorite, more subtle, scarey horror films are:

THE BAD SEED (creepy little Rhoda, baby antisocial and murderer).
THE UNINVITED (a ghost story starring the beautiful and sad Gail Russell, but almost impossible to find; you have to wait for it to show up on a movie channel).
NEAR DARK (a vampire story)
DON'T LOOK NOW (a really really creepy horror film, with Donald Sutherland, directed by Nicolas Roeg, based on a Daphne Du Maurier story).
PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK (very subtle, brilliant film, set in turn of the century Australia).
UGETSU (one of my favorite Japanese films of all time, a ghost story).
DARK WATER (the Japanese version, very scarey, in my opinion.
THE RING (both Japanese and American versions. The American remake scared the poop out of me when I first saw it).
ANGEL HEART (with Charlotte Rampling, DeNiro, and Mickey Rourke, also very scarey and disturbing, in my opinion).
THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE (one of the more recent great horror films, directed by the current probably best horror and fantasy director, Guillermo del Toro).
ROSEMARY'S BABY (still great after all these years, in my opinion).
REPULSION (Polanski's first important film, starring Deneuve, maybe not technically a horror film, but unsettling and creepy as well).
PI (Aronofsky film, I thought it was disturbing enough to be a horror film).

Others:
THE CUBE, THE HOWLING, THE SHINING (Kubrick's version), THE EXORCIST (also still scarey after all these years), CARNIVAL OF SOULS, CARRIE (almost a cult film now).

Some horror films I like with funnier moments, THE LOST BOYS, THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS, and DOLLS.

I'll have to check out The Cube. Weird, I've never heard of it until this week, and this week I've heard it mentioned like 8 times.

You're right about The Howling too. Best werewolf movie ever made.

GelfXIII
11-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Your dad made The Amazing Melting Man?

The Incredible Melting man, but yeah. You can read the producer's name on the cover there, cant you?

Ethan Van Sciver
11-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Great horror movies that aren't widely popular:

Ravenous
Devil's Backbone
Jacob's Ladder
Kalifornia
Last House on the Left
Cujo
Near Dark
Open Water

and I'll include Silent Hill because its probably the best horror movie made in a long long time.

and honorable metion for both Blair Witch Project and the Ring for being genuinely great horror flicks that molded the genre.
Boo to Hostel for molding the genre into something just plain awful.

NEAR DARK was horrible. It was so 80's, and full of sickening characters. I don't know. I didn't like it at all.

OPEN WATER was one of the scariest movies I've ever seen, but it's ending was depressing.

Alexander Hamilton
11-03-2007, 11:42 AM
NEAR DARK was horrible. It was so 80's, and full of sickening characters. I don't know. I didn't like it at all.

OPEN WATER was one of the scariest movies I've ever seen, but it's ending was depressing.

Open Water is one of those movies I keep meaning to check out, but I always pass it up for something else.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Open Water is one of those movies I keep meaning to check out, but I always pass it up for something else.

It's a mood piece. You really have to be ready for it. It's very, very real, full of despair, and will make you afraid of the water in a way that JAWS couldn't. High praise.

Alexander Hamilton
11-03-2007, 11:55 AM
It's a mood piece. You really have to be ready for it. It's very, very real, full of despair, and will make you afraid of the water in a way that JAWS couldn't. High praise.

well, i guess I won't pass it up next time. ;)

Andy Kuhn
11-03-2007, 12:07 PM
ethan,

i just saw a movie called PERFECT CREATURE that was pretty cool.
it's set in an alternate history where vampires and humans have peacefully coexisted for the last three hundred years. a human is murdered by a vampire. the film is a mystery about who is the killer and why it happened. i'm a sucker for alternate history stories, but even if you're not, this is still a pretty stylish piece of work.

Juggernaut
11-03-2007, 12:36 PM
it's a cheap 80's slasher flick but the ending is more than worth it.

Sleepaway Camp the first one.

cmoney
11-03-2007, 01:08 PM

It's like you're Bizzaro-me. But yet, you recognize the greatness of The Howling...

Pat Shatner
11-03-2007, 01:15 PM

Dude, that's awesome. My friends and I got stoned and watched that flick last summer after finding it in Hollywood Video's VHS bins. Props to your pops.

Blandy vs Terrorism
11-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Cigarette Burns is now on my queue.

Scotty
11-03-2007, 02:44 PM
How is Jacob's Ladder kind of left wing?:mistrust:

Jacob's ladder isn't even horror.

GelfXIII
11-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Dude, that's awesome. My friends and I got stoned and watched that flick last summer after finding it in Hollywood Video's VHS bins. Props to your pops.

I'll pass that on. btw, He actually cast himself in the film when an actor flaked out and couldn't have his head cast for a mold, so the fisherman who gets his head ripped off is, in fact, my Dad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/gelf13/Incrediblemeltingmaninsert.jpg

I have one of the heads they made in a lucite case here at my house.

S. Earl
11-03-2007, 04:06 PM
The Devil's Backbone

S. Earl
11-03-2007, 04:09 PM

Only movie I ever walked out of. I thought it was fucking boring and had awful acting. And I loved the games, so I wanted to like it.

Joshzilla
11-03-2007, 05:34 PM
I really wanna watch The Tripper. Anybody seen it yet?

Ashton
11-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Descent is one of my favorite horror movies of all time.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-03-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm sorry, but I lose more and more respect for EVS every day. A supposed film buff but hates John Carpenter (and presumably The Thing) and thinks Near Dark is terrible.

At least your lack of good taste is made up in the fact you can draw real purty.

Brandon191
11-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Ginger Snaps 1 and 2. There is a third sequel as well, but I haven't seen it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0210070/

Pat Shatner
11-03-2007, 07:17 PM
I'll pass that on. btw, He actually cast himself in the film when an actor flaked out and couldn't have his head cast for a mold, so the fisherman who gets his head ripped off is, in fact, my Dad.

Oh that is just fantastic. Did he work on anything else of interest?

cmoney
11-03-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm sorry, but I lose more and more respect for EVS every day. A supposed film buff but hates John Carpenter (and presumably The Thing) and thinks Near Dark is terrible.

At least your lack of good taste is made up in the fact you can draw real purty.

I don't really get it either, but then, I was lost at "this was the eeriest, most disturbing film I've seen in a long time". And Moriarty (who wrote the script with his writing partner) is mostly the only reason I still visit Ain't It Cool at all, so combined with my John Carpenter fandom, I was all poised to like Cigarette Burns.

Haborym
11-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Oh that is just fantastic. Did he work on anything else of interest?

I IMDB'd Gelf's Dad.

He Produced Caged Heat. Wow. That's classic exploitation there and also Jonathan Demme's first film as a director.

He also co-produced Cockfighter. (from IMDB) While trying to come up with an ad campaign to this seemingly unmarketable film, American International's advertising committee came up with this humorous fake tagline: "He came into town with his cock in hand, and what he did with it was illegal in 49 states."

BTW, I loved The Incredible Melting Man when I was a kid. I saw stills of it in Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine and just had to see it.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-03-2007, 10:17 PM
ethan,

i just saw a movie called PERFECT CREATURE that was pretty cool.
it's set in an alternate history where vampires and humans have peacefully coexisted for the last three hundred years. a human is murdered by a vampire. the film is a mystery about who is the killer and why it happened. i'm a sucker for alternate history stories, but even if you're not, this is still a pretty stylish piece of work.

I think I saw that at Target. I'm on it! Thanks!

Ethan Van Sciver
11-03-2007, 10:18 PM

Did you love the MST3K treatment of the movie? I loved the severed head floating down the stream! :lol:

XSaraXPoeX
11-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Just watched Lucky McKee's May for the first time this week. The first hour may be one of the creepiest movies I've ever seen. Creeeeeeeeeepy.I love that movie! :D

Ethan Van Sciver
11-03-2007, 10:22 PM

Dude, first, I admitted in another thread that I've never seen The Thing. I will!

But I've seen Halloween (dull), Vampires (really, truly awful. I walked out of the dollar theater feeling cheated), Christine (icky, tasteless crap) and his remake of Village of the Damned (Did not improve upon the original).

I admit, it's a scanty affair I've had with Carpenter's work, but none of what I've seen has made me want to see more, except for Cigarette Burns.

XSaraXPoeX
11-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Dude, first, I admitted in another thread that I've never seen The Thing. I will!

But I've seen Halloween (dull), Vampires (really, truly awful. I walked out of the dollar theater feeling cheated), Christine (icky, tasteless crap) and his remake of Village of the Damned (Did not improve upon the original).

I admit, it's a scanty affair I've had with Carpenter's work, but none of what I've seen has made me want to see more, except for Cigarette Burns.You've probably already been asked this, but I'm only on page three so...

What kind of horror do you like? There are some really creepy Japanese horror flicks that have came out recently. (The Eye is a good one.)

Ethan Van Sciver
11-03-2007, 10:31 PM
You've probably already been asked this, but I'm only on page three so...

What kind of horror do you like? There are some really creepy Japanese horror flicks that have came out recently. (The Eye is a good one.)

Yeah, some of the Japanese stuff is cool, but the Japanese in general have got to stop fetishizing children, whether it be sexually or as objects of terror! Heh. Everything with them is dead kids!

I like all kinds of horror except for slasher and torture flicks. Nothing where people are brutalized. Ghosts, zombies, werewolves, vampires, nightmares, etc. Love it all.

Lab-Rat
11-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Gotta echo THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE. That is an amazing movie.

Also I dug Carpenter's In The Mouth Of Madness.

hmm...let me thing...what else....hmm...ok I got nothing honestly aside from stuff people have already mentioned here.

Ethan Van Sciver
The Serpent and the Rainbow.

Lab-Rat
You've probably already been asked this, but I'm only on page three so...

Yeah...that is a good one.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Is The Eye about a dead kid?

The Hodag
11-03-2007, 10:33 PM

I admit, it's a scanty affair I've had with Carpenter's work, but none of what I've seen has made me want to see more, except for Cigarette Burns.

Oh wow. I saw the thing about The Thing in that other thread, but looking at that list...it's like you've somehow managed to see every shitty Carpenter flick and none of the good ones (Halloween excepted, but we'll shelve the debate for now)! I mean, it actually seems skillful.

Damn, I'd forgotten Christine and Village of the Damned even existed.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Oh wow. I saw the thing about The Thing in that other thread, but looking at that list...it's like you've somehow managed to see every shitty Carpenter flick and none of the good ones (Halloween excepted, but we'll shelve the debate for now)! I mean, it actually seems skillful.

Damn, I'd forgotten Christine and Village of the Damned even existed.

So you're saying that I should forget all my prejudices towards Carpenter, forgive the hurt he inflicted on me, and try again?

Lab-Rat
11-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Is The Eye about a dead kid?

no.

Basically it's about a blind girl who gets a cornea transplant. Now She can see...but she also starts seeing Ghosts.

Jason California
11-03-2007, 10:37 PM
I just got here and dont know if anybody made to recommendation yet, but One of my favorite horror movies of all time is Event Horizon.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-03-2007, 10:38 PM
no.

Basically it's about a blind girl who gets a cornea transplant. Now She can see...but she also starts seeing Ghosts.

Coooooooollllll....... :shock:

Ethan Van Sciver
11-03-2007, 10:39 PM
I just got here and dont know if anybody made to recommendation yet, but One of my favorite horror movies of all time is Event Horizon.

I watched the first half of that, and it was pretty creepy.

XSaraXPoeX
11-03-2007, 10:42 PM
The Doom Generation was interesting as long as you're not looking for the best actors in the world. It's more of a psychological thriller that wants to be a horror film. The writer/director Gregg Araki made a very cool and weird little movie. :)

If you haven't seen May you should.

Do you like old movies like The Blob and Creature from the Black Lagoon? How about really BAD horror movies? Ed Wood's Plan Nine from Outer Space, and Bride of the Monster are so bad they're good.

XSaraXPoeX
11-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Is The Eye about a dead kid?It's Japanese so you see dead kids, but it's about this girl who gets an eye transplant and starts seeing things.

Jason California
11-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Only movie I ever walked out of. I thought it was fucking boring and had awful acting. And I loved the games, so I wanted to like it.

I am so with you on that.

The Hodag
11-03-2007, 10:45 PM
So you're saying that I should forget all my prejudices towards Carpenter, forgive the hurt he inflicted on me, and try again?

I...I think I am.

Now I'll say this: you seem to like movies with characters that the film sympathizes with, and Carpenter doesn't do that a lot. His protagonists tend to be selfish, with occasional moments of heroism and, at the very least, a desire to not see the world end. But they're not altogether likeable. It's his cynicism coming through.

So if you're gonna like a Carpenter flick, it probably needs to be because of the unique atmosphere and scares they provide, and maybe the music (his eerie electronica holds up quite well, I think, and he got frickin' Ennio Morricone on The Thing!). In a lot of ways, he's an inherently B-filmmaker who just treats his B-concepts with A-list gusto.

But I have a feeling his characters are gonna keep you at a distance in most of his films, with the possible exception of The Thing and maybe the darkly comic They Live. Still, I'd suggest the following for a weekend binge that'll forever determine whether you and Carpenter can save your marriage:

The Thing
The Fog
They Live
Prince of Darkness

And if you step out of horror mode, Escape From New York and Starman (I almost can't believe he made Starman, 'cause it's so damn humanistic; I think he must've been gettin' laid that year).

Jason California
11-03-2007, 10:45 PM
I watched the first half of that, and it was pretty creepy.

The only movie to ever really scare me.

The Hodag
11-03-2007, 10:46 PM

I need to see that some day. I've heard some praise for it, but my brother, whose horror tastes align almost 99% with mine, told me it was a piece of shit.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-03-2007, 10:55 PM
I just ordered stuff from Amazon:

The Thing (Collector's Edition) - Wilford Brimley; DVD
Night of the Living Dead - Tony Todd; DVD
Day of the Dead (Divimax Special Edition) - Terry Alexander; DVD
The Serpent And The Rainbow - Bill Pullman; DVD
The Eye - Pierre Png; DVD

Haborym
11-03-2007, 10:55 PM
The Thing is a fantastic movie. You really should give it a shot, Ethan.

And since you said you like The Howling, have you seen Dog Soldiers? Ginger Snaps? I think both are pretty great werewolf movies.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-03-2007, 10:56 PM
The Doom Generation was interesting as long as you're not looking for the best actors in the world. It's more of a psychological thriller that wants to be a horror film. The writer/director Gregg Araki made a very cool and weird little movie. :)

If you haven't seen May you should.

Do you like old movies like The Blob and Creature from the Black Lagoon? How about really BAD horror movies? Ed Wood's Plan Nine from Outer Space, and Bride of the Monster are so bad they're good.

Hated The Doom Generation. It was a big wannabe teen alienation bleh of the 90's.

Haven't seen May yet.

And the old horror movies are my favorites. I have everything on DVD, and Ed Wood is my God. I used to quote his stuff in CYBERFROG all the time.

The Hodag
11-03-2007, 10:57 PM
And since you said you like The Howling, have you seen Dog Soldiers? Ginger Snaps? I think both are pretty great werewolf movies.

Yeah, them's both good flicks.

Somehow I've never seen The Howling, though. Or American Werewolf in London. 'Sup with that?

And Ethan's gonna totally got freaked by Wilford Brimley's awesomeness in The Thing.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-03-2007, 10:58 PM
The Thing is a fantastic movie. You really should give it a shot, Ethan.

Heard good things about Dog Soldiers.

I don't know, I love werewolves so much (I'd rather be a werewolf than a vampire) but usually werewolf movies are terrible.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-03-2007, 10:59 PM
By the way, I'm putting Day of the Dead into my collection again, for completion's sake. Boy did I hate it when I watched the first 30 minutes of it. But maybe I wasn't in the right mood for it.

The Hodag
11-03-2007, 11:03 PM
I had a friend who was a kick ass martial artist and really into horror movies. He had a weird gauge of what was and wasn't scary, though: it was all based on whether he'd consider the monster in question to be a physical danger to him if he actually fought it. So something ephemeral like a ghost wasn't scary and zombies weren't scary (he'd totally sweep the leg on 'em) and vampires definitely weren't scary...

But werewolves? Very scary to him. It was their animalistic quality. He figured they'd shred him up in a fight, kung fu or no kung fu.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-03-2007, 11:05 PM
I had a friend who was a kick ass martial artist and really into horror movies. He had a weird gauge of what was and wasn't scary, though: it was all based on whether he'd consider the monster in question to be a physical danger to him if he actually fought it. So something ephemeral like a ghost wasn't scary and zombies weren't scary (he'd totally sweep the leg on 'em) and vampires definitely weren't scary...

But werewolves? Very scary to him. It was their animalistic quality. He figured they'd shred him up in a fight, kung fu or no kung fu.

Your friend isn't troubled by existential dilemmas like "is there life after death?" He's just worried about not getting his ass kicked. And dammit, that kind of meathead is what we need more of in America! :D

XSaraXPoeX
11-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Hated The Doom Generation. It was a big wannabe teen alienation bleh of the 90's.

Haven't seen May yet.

And the old horror movies are my favorites. I have everything on DVD, and Ed Wood is my God. I used to quote his stuff in CYBERFROG all the time.Yes, Ed Wood RULES! The Internet Archive had his Glen or Glenda for free download once upon a time because it's a public domain works but it mysteriously disappeared. :(

There's a TON of stuff on youtube of his.

Haborym
11-03-2007, 11:12 PM

I don't know, I love werewolves so much (I'd rather be a werewolf than a vampire) but usually werewolf movies are terrible.

I love them too. Lon Chaney Jr's The Wolf Man was my favorite movie when I was a kid and I've loved werewolves since then. Sadly, there aren't that many great movies to choose from. I remember liking The Werewolf of London with Henry Hull when I was young, but I haven't seen it in decades so I have no idea how its held up. I like An American Werewolf in London, but I'm in a minority with you in thinking The Howling is the best werewolf movie. I didn't care for the werewolf in AAWiL, and I didn't think there was enough werewolfing, though I still think the movie is great.

I can't think of any other werewolf movies I've seen in recent memory that I really enjoyed apart from Dog Soldiers and Ginger Snaps. I didn't think Nicholson's Wolf was all that great, I hated Cursed with a passion, not a fan of Van Helsing or Underworld either.

We need more good werewolf movies. Hopefully the remake of the Wolf Man with Benicio Del Toro, and Rick Baker on effects, will end the dry spell.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Yes, Ed Wood RULES! The Internet Archive had his Glen or Glenda for free download once upon a time because it's a public domain works but it mysteriously disappeared. :(

There's a TON of stuff on youtube of his.

Sara, if you were a friend of mine and I routinely bought you presents, I'd get you The Haunted World of Ed Wood. It's probably the best documentary made about him, and the DVD features, FOR THE FIRST TIME, Crossroads of Laredo, a western Ed made with a friend of his. He didn't finish it, and his partner almost committed suicide because of it, but that's our Ed! :)

I don't know if it's still in print, but Nightmare of Ecstasy is a fun read. Basically it's the Ed Wood biography as told in random quotes from the insane old people who used to know him.

XSaraXPoeX
11-03-2007, 11:18 PM
I love them too. Lon Chaney Jr's The Wolf Man was my favorite movie when I was a kid and I've loved werewolves since then. Sadly, there aren't that many great movies to choose from. I remember liking The Werewolf of London with Henry Hull when I was young, but I haven't seen it in decades so I have no idea how its held up. I like An American Werewolf in London, but I'm in a minority with you in thinking The Howling is the best werewolf movie. I didn't care for the werewolf in AAWiL, and I didn't think there was enough werewolfing, though I still think the movie is great.

I can't think of any other werewolf movies I've seen in recent memory that I really enjoyed apart from Dog Soldiers and Ginger Snaps. I didn't think Nicholson's Wolf was all that great, I hated Cursed with a passion, not a fan of Van Helsing or Underworld either.

We need more good werewolf movies. Hopefully the remake of the Wolf Man with Benicio Del Toro, and Rick Baker on effects, will end the dry spell.The Howling was totally the best werewolf movie. Cursed, with Christina Ricca, is good.

XSaraXPoeX
11-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Sara, if you were a friend of mine and I routinely bought you presents, I'd get you The Haunted World of Ed Wood. It's probably the best documentary made about him, and the DVD features, FOR THE FIRST TIME, Crossroads of Laredo, a western Ed made with a friend of his. He didn't finish it, and his partner almost committed suicide because of it, but that's our Ed! :)

I don't know if it's still in print, but Nightmare of Ecstasy is a fun read. Basically it's the Ed Wood biography as told in random quotes from the insane old people who used to know him.Thanks. I've never heard of those. I'll start looking for them. If they exist, they're online. :D

Ethan Van Sciver
11-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Thanks. I've never heard of those. I'll start looking for them. If they exist, they're online. :D

Look into NECROMANIA. It's the only existing and surviving Ed Wood directed soft core porn movie from the end of his career. ORGY OF THE DEAD doesn't count, obviously, and TAKE IT OUT IN TRADE only exists in audio-free snippets. But NECROMANIA rules. Zombie women pleasuring themselves with a skull? Well, if we must, Ed. :roll:

Ravengregory
11-03-2007, 11:44 PM
I liked the Bruce Jones Jennifer much better. You should check it out. Awesome strange simple shaking little concept

Haborym
11-04-2007, 12:14 AM
Just a couple more recommendations.

The Legend of Hell House - A team of four paranormal investigators accepts an invitation for a week's stay in a mansion rumored to be haunted. The best haunted house movie, in my opinion. Yes, Poltergeist is good and wet and red and has a creepy clown. Hell House succeeds without people peeling their faces off or being pulled into TV's.

Frailty - Others have already recommended this. I just wanted to throw in another vote. You will believe Bill Paxton can direct!

The Wicker Man - The original, not the awful ,hollow remake. See how the crazy, heathen Pagans live! A good 'man out of his element' story of a detective investigating the disappearance of a girl on an island populated by lustful paganists. The movie is a fucking trip and wierd as hell, and it works incredibly well. If you've seen the remake, most of the impact of the ending is sadly spoiled.

Slither - Remember the bad 80's movie Night of the Creeps? Well, Slither is kind of the inbred grandchild/brother of Creeps. Slugs, check. Zombified people, check. Funny, gross and a lot of fun.

Bride of Chucky/Seed of Chucky - I hate Child's Play. A horror movie about a killer My Buddy doll? WTF? Child's Play was shit. Suprisingly, Bride and Seed of Chucky are a lot of fun. The series stops taking itself seriously and plays it tongue in cheek. I like em.

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon - In a world where Jason, Michael Myers and Freddy exist, a guy decides to become the next 'big thing' in the slasher business. Part of his plan to rise to greatness includes a documentary crew, who follows him everywhere as he prepares for his big moment. I know you said you don't like slasher films, but this one is different.

Brandon191
11-04-2007, 01:03 AM
There was a movie called Black Christmas that is or was a big cult hit. It has your standard mental patient escapee who kills sorority girls. Margot Kidder is in it as well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071222/

Ginger Snaps is a really good Canadian Werewolf movie I think you would like.

Is becoming a woman analogous, in some deep psychological way, to becoming a werewolf? Ginger is 16, edgy, tough, and, with her younger sister, into staging and photographing scenes of death. They've made a pact about dying together. In early October, on the night she has her first period, which is also the night of a full moon, a werewolf bites Ginger. Within a few days, some serious changes happen to her body and her temperament. Her sister Brigitte, 15, tries to find a cure with the help of Sam, a local doper. As Brigitte races against the clock, Halloween and another full moon approach, Ginger gets scarier, and it isn't just local dogs that begin to die

Los
11-04-2007, 01:21 AM

:lol:
Your friend sounds awesome.
But what I don't get is how he expected to kick the vampire's ass?

The Hodag
11-04-2007, 01:26 AM
:lol:
Your friend sounds awesome.
But what I don't get is how he expected to kick the vampire's ass?

Heh, he actually is pretty awesome.

And vampires are all pretty different in film. He was probably thinking more the classical Dracula vampire type - kind of a gentleman vampire - and not some of the more recent powerhouses.

Michael Blacklist
11-04-2007, 01:04 AM
The Eye has one or two shots that terrified me. Chills down the spine, haunt-me-when-I'm-alone terrified. I hope the remake is half of what the original was.

Hey, Michael:

What movie is that in your avatar?

It's Ben Kingsley from Bloodrayne. I don't remember where I got it, but I love it.

Mr. E!
11-04-2007, 03:57 AM
Hmmm, How about Todd Browning's Freaks? I caught that a few weeks ago for the first time in years, and it really did creep me out.
I'm surprised no one has said Evil Dead yet...

cmoney
11-04-2007, 07:54 AM

Aside from Halloween, which I can't agree with you on, and Vampires, which I can, you've chanced to see movies that are on the very short list of Carpenter films I haven't seen.

cmoney
11-04-2007, 07:58 AM

100% agreement. I always get all excited about new werewolf movies, and they ALWAYS turn out to be crap. My fingers are crossed so hard for the upcoming Wolf Man remake that they're cramping.

cmoney
11-04-2007, 07:59 AM
By the way, I'm putting Day of the Dead into my collection again, for completion's sake. Boy did I hate it when I watched the first 30 minutes of it. But maybe I wasn't in the right mood for it.

I LOVE the makeup effects in that film.

Andy Kuhn
11-04-2007, 08:28 AM
I think I saw that at Target. I'm on it! Thanks!

ethan,

if you have netflix i'd recommend renting it first, just in case it's not your cuppa tea.

another movie that i'd recommend is SLITHER. others have mentioned it in this thread, and it's great!
excellent mix of humor and horror in an update of 50s monster films. check it out if you haven't already.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Oh man, I completely forgot about Bride and Seed of Chucky. Two incredibly high quality, fun films. They're not really that scary, but they do some things horror films are afraid to do and really tackle some interesting ideas in the story.

Plus Jennifer Tilly is fucking hot as hell. And John Waters is awesome.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Hmmm, How about Todd Browning's Freaks? I caught that a few weeks ago for the first time in years, and it really did creep me out.
I'm surprised no one has said Evil Dead yet...

How did I forget about Freaks? Easily one of my favorite movies of all time.

GelfXIII
11-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Did you love the MST3K treatment of the movie? I loved the severed head floating down the stream! :lol:

I only ever saw it the first time it aired, and have never seen it since. Is it on a DVD anywhere? About the only part of it I remember is they thought my Dad looked like Bill Gates (which he doesn't really, but was funny regardless) and they did a recurring bit about the lead needing crackers for his soup.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-04-2007, 08:47 AM

Eh, its got its moments, but overall isn't as good as the other three (yes, I'm in the "I like Land of the Dead club") but yeah, it's not too good...

I do like Bub, though, and the gore effects are fantastic.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-04-2007, 08:48 AM
The Eye has one or two shots that terrified me. Chills down the spine, haunt-me-when-I'm-alone terrified. I hope the remake is half of what the original was.

It's Ben Kingsley from Bloodrayne. I don't remember where I got it, but I love it.

God, Bloodrayne is so awfully good.

In fact, there you go Ethan. Most of Uwe Boll's "films" are horror videogames turned into even worse crap. House of the Dead and Bloodrayne are hysterically bad, but Alone in the Dark is so bad it's not even funny...unless you watch it with Boll's legendary commentary.

cmoney
11-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Eh, its got its moments, but overall isn't as good as the other three (yes, I'm in the "I like Land of the Dead club") but yeah, it's not too good...

I do like Bub, though, and the gore effects are fantastic.

It seems to me we've tangled over pointless things before on this board, but in this thread, you are appearing to me as more and more a kindred spirit. Note, however, that it may not actually be you I'm thinking of with the "tangling", it was long ago and mostly a non-issue for me. I just remember a name with many A's in it.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-04-2007, 08:50 AM
I...I think I am.

Now I'll say this: you seem to like movies with characters that the film sympathizes with, and Carpenter doesn't do that a lot. His protagonists tend to be selfish, with occasional moments of heroism and, at the very least, a desire to not see the world end. But they're not altogether likeable. It's his cynicism coming through.

So if you're gonna like a Carpenter flick, it probably needs to be because of the unique atmosphere and scares they provide, and maybe the music (his eerie electronica holds up quite well, I think, and he got frickin' Ennio Morricone on The Thing!). In a lot of ways, he's an inherently B-filmmaker who just treats his B-concepts with A-list gusto.

But I have a feeling his characters are gonna keep you at a distance in most of his films, with the possible exception of The Thing and maybe the darkly comic They Live. Still, I'd suggest the following for a weekend binge that'll forever determine whether you and Carpenter can save your marriage:

The Thing
The Fog
They Live
Prince of Darkness

And if you step out of horror mode, Escape From New York and Starman (I almost can't believe he made Starman, 'cause it's so damn humanistic; I think he must've been gettin' laid that year).

I shame you for not putting Big Trouble in Little China along with Escape and Starman.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-04-2007, 08:51 AM

The guy who did Dog Soldiers is the same guy who directs The Descent. Unfortunatly, you can't tell, as Dog Soldiers is really not good. But there are lots of hysterical moments and an inadvertently funny-ass trailer on the disc.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-04-2007, 08:54 AM
There was a movie called Black Christmas that is or was a big cult hit. It has your standard mental patient escapee who kills sorority girls. Margot Kidder is in it as well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071222/

Ginger Snaps is a really good Canadian Werewolf movie I think you would like.

No way, Black Christmas is LEGENDARY. It preceeded Halloween by a full year and has many camera angles and ideas that Halloween had first. However, Carpenter did it better, so everone remembers Halloween.

Black Christmas also has one of the better "slasher" endings ever.

cmoney
11-04-2007, 08:55 AM
No way, Black Christmas is LEGENDARY. It preceeded Halloween by a full year and has many camera angles and ideas that Halloween had first. However, Carpenter did it better, so everone remembers Halloween.

Been wanting to check it out for a long time, but the DVD never comes down in price, and I have a more or less steadfast rule of not paying $20 for non-Criterion DVDs.

Brandon191
11-04-2007, 11:53 AM

I didn't really like it. Halloween was a much better film. The movie was filmed a couple of minutes away from where I live.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-04-2007, 12:16 PM
I didn't really like it. Halloween was a much better film. The movie was filmed a couple of minutes away from where I live.

I agree that it's not that great, but you have to give it props for some of the stuff it did and see what John Carpenter blatently took.

Brian Defferding
11-04-2007, 12:33 PM
that might be one of my "30 Movies in 30 Days" Movies. I saw it once, some time ago. I remember the "Gotcha" moments, but it does reinforce the fact that George C. Scott is, in fact, AWESOME.

Hells yes! George C Scott fucking ruled in that movie.

(akaRyanHoffman)
11-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Another good Masters of Horror episode is An Incident On An Off A Mountain Road.

A fantastic horror/supernatural long-form narrative (ie "A TV show" ;) ) is Lars von Trier's The Kingdom. There were two series and was supposed to be a third, but I'm pretty sure that'll never happen, which is a fucking crime.

Thommy Melanson
11-04-2007, 03:07 PM

Dog Soldiers is an excellent werewolf flick. High Recommend.

Wolfen is also great, if you've never seen it. 1981 werewolf movie starring Albert Finney, Edward James Olmos and Gregory Hines and was written by Whitley Strieber of Communion fame.

I've loved werewolves since I was a kid...which is strange because I've always had an irrational fear of big dogs.

btw - I wrote a 12-page werewolf comic book story a few years back, here's the script, if you feel like reading. It's called End Of The Hunt:

http://www.freewebs.com/thommyscripts/endofthehuntscript.htm

oh, here's the poster for Wolfen:

http://www.impawards.com/1981/posters/wolfen.jpg

Rosemary's Baby
11-04-2007, 06:52 PM
American Werewolf in London
Repulsion
Rosemary's Baby
Tale of Two Sisters
The Shining
Night of the living dead
Evil Dead
Alien
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
House on Haunted Hill (original)
Psycho
Jaws
28 Days Later
Peeping Tom
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Ethan Van Sciver
11-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Another good Masters of Horror episode is An Incident On An Off A Mountain Road.

A fantastic horror/supernatural long-form narrative (ie "A TV show" ;) ) is Lars von Trier's The Kingdom. There were two series and was supposed to be a third, but I'm pretty sure that'll never happen, which is a fucking crime.

An Incident WAS pretty good. So far the only MASTERS OF HORROR from season one that was excrement was Joe Dante's retarded jab at Republicans with The Homecoming. I hope he dies.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Dog Soldiers is an excellent werewolf flick. High Recommend.

Wolfen is also great, if you've never seen it. 1981 werewolf movie starring Albert Finney, Edward James Olmos and Gregory Hines and was written by Whitley Strieber of Communion fame.

I've loved werewolves since I was a kid...which is strange because I've always had an irrational fear of big dogs.

btw - I wrote a 12-page werewolf comic book story a few years back, here's the script, if you feel like reading. It's called End Of The Hunt:

http://www.freewebs.com/thommyscripts/endofthehuntscript.htm

oh, here's the poster for Wolfen:

http://www.impawards.com/1981/posters/wolfen.jpg

Yeah, WOLFEN wasn't really a werewolf movie though. I liked it, but it wasn't The Howling.

Remember the Howling 2, with that badass Wolf queen bitch? She ripped off her shirt and her breast bounced around in one scene, and they repeated it over and over and over again in the ending credits. That was classy and appreciated.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-04-2007, 06:58 PM
New "Horror" movie recommendation: Gillian Anderson in CLOSURE, from this year.

She actually sodomizes a guy with a high powered rifle. I've always wanted a movie with that in it.

cmoney
11-04-2007, 07:00 PM
An Incident WAS pretty good. So far the only MASTERS OF HORROR from season one that was excrement was Joe Dante's retarded jab at Republicans with The Homecoming. I hope he dies.

But he made The Howling. And Gremlins. And Gremlins 2.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-04-2007, 07:02 PM
But he made The Howling. And Gremlins. And Gremlins 2.

Yep! And John Carpenter, as we've discussed, also made VAMPIRES. :-?

cmoney
11-04-2007, 07:04 PM

But surely Dante's MOH ep is overshadowed by the aforementioned films, and he should be allowed to continue living?

Ethan Van Sciver
11-04-2007, 07:05 PM
But surely Dante's MOH ep is overshadowed by the aforementioned films, and he should be allowed to continue living?

The Homecoming was so incredibly stupid and insulting, I would have to execute Alfred Hitchcock if he'd made it. :no:

Rosemary's Baby
11-04-2007, 07:14 PM

Don't knock Vampires. That movie's a good time. Yes, I know it's awful, but I enjoy the hell out of it.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Don't knock Vampires. That movie's a good time. Yes, I know it's awful, but I enjoy the hell out of it.

My wife liked it. And it did have Laura Palmer in it. But it sucked.

Rosemary's Baby
11-04-2007, 07:22 PM
My wife liked it. And it did have Laura Palmer in it. But it sucked.

I know, but I love it.

cmoney
11-04-2007, 08:09 PM
I know, but I love it.

You're a brave soul. I have heard, however, that the book it's based on is pretty cool.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-04-2007, 08:14 PM
You're a brave soul. I have heard, however, that the book it's based on is pretty cool.

Was the book also called "Vampires"?

cmoney
11-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Was the book also called "Vampires"?

Actually, and I'm not kidding, it was called "Vampire$".

Ethan Van Sciver
11-04-2007, 08:16 PM

That's gangsta

Scotty
11-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Ethan is like this old man who doesn't like anything.

The Hodag
11-04-2007, 08:28 PM

I read it a long time ago. It's a pretty fun read and much better than the movie, but also amateurish and pretty pulpy. There was a little Texas pride, too (the author had to be Texan), 'cause as the macho badasses who hunt vampires drive everywhere, they're always listening to ZZ Top and Stevie Ray Vaughan while they get blasted on whiskey.

Anyway, much more an ensemble piece than the movie, much cooler vampires, and a pretty impressive sense of danger from the uber-vampires. I'd recommend the book in spite of, and partially because of, its almost insane level of testosterone. It's actually got some cool ideas between the Mike Hammer-esque stuff. I also recall a pretty pervasive sense of hopelessness because the vampires were SO damn tough, and that felt really unique.

cmoney
11-04-2007, 08:31 PM
I read it a long time ago. It's a pretty fun read and much better than the movie, but also amateurish and pretty pulpy. There was a little Texas pride, too (the author had to be Texan), 'cause as the macho badasses who hunt vampires drive everywhere, they're always listening to ZZ Top and Stevie Ray Vaughan while they get blasted on whiskey.

Anyway, much more an ensemble piece than the movie, much cooler vampires, and a pretty impressive sense of danger from the uber-vampires. I'd recommend the book in spite of, and partially because of, its almost insane level of testosterone. It's actually got some cool ideas between the Mike Hammer-esque stuff. I also recall a pretty pervasive sense of hopelessness because the vampires were SO damn tough, and that felt really unique.

Yeah, that's basically what I'd heard about it too. I like vampires that are more monster than emo, but wasn't sure how I'd take all the uber-macho, so I have yet to actually seek the book out.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Ethan is like this old man who doesn't like anything.

No, I'm like this old man that loves a lot of things, but when he hates something, he really hates it and wants to talk about it.

Movies are important to me! Shall I post pics of my dvd collection again? It's bigger now. :)

Brian Defferding
11-10-2007, 06:22 AM
Alright, I watched Cigarette Burns last night. It was great! Carpenter hasn't lost his touch. I was kinda hoping La Fin Absolute De Monde would have more disturbing images (kinda like the ship's log scene from Event Horizon) but still it was a great Master of Horror episode. The acting, script, cinematography was all well done.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-10-2007, 12:17 PM
I watched Day of the Dead yesterday. Wow, what a stupid bummer of a movie with a happy tacked-on ending. It's just tasteless, evil crap, and I grimaced through the whole thing. All of the characters were assholes except the zombies.

RebootedCorpse
11-10-2007, 12:17 PM
I hate horror movies.
Hate them.

Brian Defferding
11-10-2007, 12:20 PM
I hate horror movies.
Hate them.

You are almost the Anti-Me.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-10-2007, 12:23 PM
I hate horror movies.
Hate them.

Really? Why?

Thommy Melanson
11-10-2007, 12:26 PM
I watched Day of the Dead yesterday. Wow, what a stupid bummer of a movie with a happy tacked-on ending. It's just tasteless, evil crap, and I grimaced through the whole thing. All of the characters were assholes except the zombies.

Bud is actually quite endearing.

You'll believe a zombie can cry.

RebootedCorpse
11-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Really? Why?

They never fucking scare me. The seem really unimaginative and sophomoric. They just have never worked for me.
Of course, this is a broad generalization because my distain for the genre means I see very few, but I have tried to sit and watch some of the so-called great ones and always thought they were shit.
Oddly, I like a lot of horror comics.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Bud is actually quite endearing.

You'll believe a zombie can cry.

His name was "Bub", wasn't it?

Yeah, I didn't buy it, though. The idea that zombies can learn or be taught is bullshit. They are dead brains working on residual impulses, just to feed. They aren't puppies.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-10-2007, 12:30 PM
They never fucking scare me. The seem really unimaginative and sophomoric. They just have never worked for me.
Of course, this is a broad generalization because my distain for the genre means I see very few, but I have tried to sit and watch some of the so-called great ones and always thought they were shit.
Oddly, I like a lot of horror comics.

The number of horror movies that have actually disturbed me are few and far between, I agree. I think it's an extension of fantasy though. Surviving a zombie holocaust is an amazing thing to think about. Vampirism is very sexy to some. Werewolves are a power fantasy.

I think the last movie to disturb me was The Ring.

Thommy Melanson
11-10-2007, 12:33 PM
His name was "Bub", wasn't it?

Yeah, I didn't buy it, though. The idea that zombies can learn or be taught is bullshit. They are dead brains working on residual impulses, just to feed. They aren't puppies.

Right, it was Bub.

And there's a character named Logan in it too.

The writer might have had a Wolverine fetish.

I've had a love/hate relationship with this flick as well. Sometimes it's the most annoying hour and a half you can spend, everyone just yelling and being shitty to each other. I got enough of that growing up.

Other times I think the claustrophobia works well, and that it has some of the best gore scenes of any of the Living Dead flicks.

>shrugs<

Return Of The Living Dead is the overall best flick of any of 'em.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Right, it was Bub.

And there's a character named Logan in it too.

The writer might have had a Wolverine fetish.

I've had a love/hate relationship with this flick as well. Sometimes it's the most annoying hour and a half you can spend, everyone just yelling and being shitty to each other. I got enough of that growing up.

Other times I think the claustrophobia works well, and that it has some of the best gore scenes of any of the Living Dead flicks.

>shrugs<

Return Of The Living Dead is the overall best flick of any of 'em.

The only part of Day of the Dead that I really liked was the scene where the elevator was lowered and it was full of zombies. That was top notch, and gave me a zombie boner. The rest of it was filth. Hateful. Still, I have to wonder if 28 Days Later didn't take a cue from it, and the new movie FIDO as well.

RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD has won my heart as well. Did you get the new remade NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD in 3-D?

Thommy Melanson
11-10-2007, 12:46 PM
...Did you get the new remade NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD in 3-D?

No...little wary of the remakes.

This is the 3rd? I think remake of the original Night.

The 2004 Dawn Of The Dead remake was aiiiight, but since the original '70s DOTD is the blueprint for virtually every zombie movie of the last 30 years, it seemed stale right out of the box.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-10-2007, 12:48 PM

The 2004 Dawn Of The Dead remake was aiiiight, but since the original '70s DOTD is the blueprint for virtually every zombie movie of the last 30 years, it seemed stale right out of the box.

Yep! It wasn't bad though. The 3-D was excellent, and that douchebag from the Rob Zombie movies was in it.

DAWN OF THE DEAD 2004 is the TOP Zombie movie ever made. It takes the premise more seriously than any other zombie movie aside from the 28 movies, and makes it real. It also contains sympathetic characters.

c. page
11-10-2007, 12:51 PM
The number of horror movies that have actually disturbed me are few and far between, I agree. I think it's an extension of fantasy though. Surviving a zombie holocaust is an amazing thing to think about. Vampirism is very sexy to some. Werewolves are a power fantasy.

I think the last movie to disturb me was The Ring.

have you seen ringu, ethan? (the japanese original that the american version was based on) supposed to actually be more disturbing than the american version.

i want to say that the original is in public domain for some reason, because i swear there's been at least half a dozen remakes of it.

Keith P.
11-10-2007, 12:52 PM
I loved the remake of Dawn of the Dead. I loved the original too. But it can be a bit of a snoozer at certain points.

Fast zombies are scary, and most horror movie monsters just aren't frightening to me at all.

Vampires - Bleh, all you really need is spice rack and a wooden spoon.

Werewolves - You only have to worry about them three nights a month.

Demons and Witches - they have too many rules that you can use to trip them up with.

Mummies are slooooow, and can easily be set on fire.

Bill!
11-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Anyone ever seen the Pack? It was a horror movie about a pack of wild dogs that invades a town, if memory serves. It sounds like an odd premise, but it was actually pretty good when I watched it. This was back before DVD days, so I'm not sure it even exists anymore. It had Joe Don Baker in it I believe.

Bill!
11-10-2007, 01:05 PM
For other direct to video but above average horror flicks, check out:

Bleeders - a fun monster flick starring that guy from La Femme Nikita and Rutger Hauer. Interesting take on the vampire, incest, monsters, and all sorts of other things.

Castle Freak - stars the asshole FBI agent from the Frighteners. Pretty decent little monster flick with some good characterization.

Deathlok
11-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Yep! It wasn't bad though. The 3-D was excellent, and that douchebag from the Rob Zombie movies was in it.

DAWN OF THE DEAD 2004 is the TOP Zombie movie ever made. It takes the premise more seriously than any other zombie movie aside from the 28 movies, and makes it real. It also contains sympathetic characters.

I still prefer the original DOTD. The premise (trapped in a mall) has spawned a plethora of zombie wanna-be movies. Some of the special effects were raw & unconventional, but it also brought us incredible scenes like the idiot using the blood pressure sleeve, getting his intestines ripped from his body. And the ahead of it's time head getting blown of by a shotgun (at the beginning in the apartment).

I also really enjoyed most of Lucio Fulci's work. I mean who else would have ever given us a shark versus a zombie or a close up shot of a splinter in some women's eye. He also had the one movie where the spiders chew a fella's lip off...... nasty!

Brian Defferding
11-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Ethan, here's a fun one you'd enjoy:

The Tripper.

http://www.toxicshock.tv/news/wp-content/uploads/the_tripper_poster.jpg

It's about a guy dressed and masked as Ronald Reagan that hacks up a bunch of hippies at a Free Love Festival in Northern California. It stars Paul Reubens as the Love Festival organizer, Thomas Jane as the Sherriff, and Jason Mewes and Luke Hahn as one of the hippies. It's David Arquette's first film he wrote and directed, and it's pretty hilarious.

http://www.btgrave.com/images/horror/tripper7.jpg

http://movies.go.com/i/movies/884823/gallery/tripper_1.jpg

Adrian B AWESOME
11-12-2007, 12:36 AM

Ok that's just stupid talk.

It's not better than Night or the original Dawn. And Homecoming is a great, funny flick. Too bad your political biases won't allow you to see that.

Besides, everyone knows the BEST zombie film is Lucio Fulci's Zombi, because it has the greatest film fight ever: ZOMBIE VS. SHARK!

Adrian B AWESOME
11-12-2007, 12:38 AM

The Tripper.

It's about a guy dressed and masked as Ronald Reagan that hacks up a bunch of hippies at a Free Love Festival in Northern California. It stars Paul Reubens as the Love Festival organizer, Thomas Jane as the Sherriff, and Jason Mewes and Luke Hahn as one of the hippies. It's David Arquette's first film he wrote and directed, and it's pretty hilarious.

That looks fucking great!

Ryan Elliott
11-12-2007, 04:30 AM
I really liked Ginger Snaps. Not really scary in the least though. But I sat down to watch it when it was on TV and I really liked it.

About May:
The climax of May disturbed me. Greatly. I don't get disturbed very easily, if at all, and May did it. Not the entirety of the movie, just the climax. The beginning and middle of the movie was very generic to me. Yeah she's crazy, yeah she kills people, blah, blah, blah. But the climax disturbed me a lot. And I don't really know why.

And it's really cool to know that a board member's dad made a movie that was MST3k'd. That's pretty awesome to me.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Ok that's just stupid talk.

It's not better than Night or the original Dawn. And Homecoming is a great, funny flick. Too bad your political biases won't allow you to see that.

Besides, everyone knows the BEST zombie film is Lucio Fulci's Zombi, because it has the greatest film fight ever: ZOMBIE VS. SHARK!

The original Dawn of the Dead is a piece of shit with terrible makeup, acting, direction and absurd pretensions of "social commentary". (wow, we shop at the mall like zombies! Heavy!)

The remake doesn't fool around as though it's embarrassed of itself. It immediately creates a main character that we're worried about, actually takes the TITLE seriously (it happens at dawn!) and looks and feels like trauma, as the end of your suburban life and it's happy veneer crumble around you and you face the literal destruction of society. It's realistic and terrifying.

And frankly it pisses all over EVERY SINGLE MOVIE ROMERO MADE, because Romero, although "inventing" the zombie movie, is still a talentless and tasteless film maker. Admit it. NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD is dull and depressing, DAWN OF THE DEAD looks like it was made by the people that made the live action Shazam show of the 1970's, DAY OF THE DEAD is a hopeless, evil train wreck, and LAND OF THE DEAD was mostly a terrible film, saved slightly by a cast and crew that saw the DOTD remake and wanted to help Romero actually succeed for once. It still failed. Stop being nice or ironic and start being honest.

And THE HOMECOMING was a ridiculous, heavy handed joke that stretched what could have been an amusing 2 minute Benny Hill sketch into a one hour snore fest. Everyone hated it but you.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-12-2007, 06:40 AM

The Tripper.

Yeah, I'm running out of horror movies to watch. I see EVERYTHING that comes out. The Tripper is something I've seen on the shelves, but haven't taken the plunge yet. David Arquette was promoting it on Howard Stern 6 or 7 months ago. I'll get it, thanks!

Bill!
11-12-2007, 08:15 AM
The original Dawn of the Dead is a piece of shit with terrible makeup, acting, direction and absurd pretensions of "social commentary". (wow, we shop at the mall like zombies! Heavy!)

The remake doesn't fool around as though it's embarrassed of itself. It immediately creates a main character that we're worried about, actually takes the TITLE seriously (it happens at dawn!) and looks and feels like trauma, as the end of your suburban life and it's happy veneer crumble around you and you face the literal destruction of society. It's realistic and terrifying.

And frankly it pisses all over EVERY SINGLE MOVIE ROMERO MADE, because Romero, although "inventing" the zombie movie, is still a talentless and tasteless film maker. Admit it. NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD is dull and depressing, DAWN OF THE DEAD looks like it was made by the people that made the live action Shazam show of the 1970's, DAY OF THE DEAD is a hopeless, evil train wreck, and LAND OF THE DEAD was mostly a terrible film, saved slightly by a cast and crew that saw the DOTD remake and wanted to help Romero actually succeed for once. It still failed. Stop being nice or ironic and start being honest.

And THE HOMECOMING was a ridiculous, heavy handed joke that stretched what could have been an amusing 2 minute Benny Hill sketch into a one hour snore fest. Everyone hated it but you.

This is a jumble of rather uninformed and depressing statements. I can understand how people might consider these movies if they watched them today with how movie technology has changed, but that's just because people typically don't appreciate film as art, the times they were made in, or put them into context.

cmoney
11-12-2007, 08:24 AM

No. No, no, a thousand times, no.

costello
11-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Has anyone brought up Night of the Creeps? That movie freaked me out as a kid.

Hell House was good. So was Black Sunday (1960)./

Keith P.
11-12-2007, 08:35 AM
Has anyone brought up Night of the Creeps? That movie freaked me out as a kid.

Hell House was good. So was Black Sunday (1960)./

I love Night of the Creeps.

The part recording he leaves for his friend, seriously disturbed me when I was a kid.

I still occasionally have dreams about flying slugs.

Andy Kuhn
11-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Yeah, I'm running out of horror movies to watch. I see EVERYTHING that comes out. The Tripper is something I've seen on the shelves, but haven't taken the plunge yet. David Arquette was promoting it on Howard Stern 6 or 7 months ago. I'll get it, thanks!

don't bother! i just got it on netflix last week. there are some good actors in it and a couple of decent gory moments, but other than that THE TRIPPER is a long boring piece of crap with pretensions at social commentary.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-12-2007, 09:11 AM

Are...are you serious? Part of the reason you think Dawn of the Dead 04 is better is because it actually takes place at dawn? That's...just moronic.

Night of the Living Dead is great. Are there corny, hack moments? Absolutly. But there's so much classic stuff there and a fantastic ending to credits sequence that has been repeated a million times because of it.

"Depressing?" "Evil?" Why the fuck are you watching horror movies then? That's the whole point! Dawn looks old? Well because it is! You sound like the idiot we all know that's like "If it wasn't made before 1985, it's crap!" who's favorite movie changes on a weekly basis of whatever's popular.

I know you have a much better taste than that, but Jesus, you really know how to say some dumb things.

Brian Defferding
11-12-2007, 09:12 AM
don't bother! i just got it on netflix last week. there are some good actors in it and a couple of decent gory moments, but other than that THE TRIPPER is a long boring piece of crap with pretensions at social commentary.

Never caught any social commentary. I just thought it was a fun watch.

Andy Kuhn
11-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Never caught any social commentary. I just thought it was a fun watch.

i said it had "pretensions" of social commentary. it was fairly short on actual social commentary!

Brian Defferding
11-12-2007, 09:38 AM
i said it had "pretensions" of social commentary. it was fairly short on actual social commentary!

Ha ha! True.

Juggernaut
11-12-2007, 11:09 AM
heard this one was brutal "August Underground's Mordum"

Ethan Van Sciver
11-12-2007, 03:19 PM
This is a jumble of rather uninformed and depressing statements. I can understand how people might consider these movies if they watched them today with how movie technology has changed, but that's just because people typically don't appreciate film as art, the times they were made in, or put them into context.

You sir, call Dawn of the Dead art?

Then there's no such thing as art. I am, as usual, exactly right about everything I wrote. You are blinded by your punk-rock teen sentimentalism and can't see a bad movie for what it is: a bad movie.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-12-2007, 03:20 PM

SKIPPED! :)

Ethan Van Sciver
11-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Are...are you serious? Part of the reason you think Dawn of the Dead 04 is better is because it actually takes place at dawn? That's...just moronic.

Er...YES. It's an interesting idea that this kind of thing could happen overnight, while we sleep, while we are unaware and busy watching reality tv with our domestic partners. Hey look, REAL social commentary!

Night of the Living Dead is great. Are there corny, hack moments? Absolutly. But there's so much classic stuff there and a fantastic ending to credits sequence that has been repeated a million times because of it.

I admit it's original (for those who didn't see The Last Man On Earth, that is) but it's still a very depressing and boring movie. It's the best of his work, though. Sadly.

"Depressing?" "Evil?" Why the fuck are you watching horror movies then? That's the whole point! Dawn looks old? Well because it is! You sound like the idiot we all know that's like "If it wasn't made before 1985, it's crap!" who's favorite movie changes on a weekly basis of whatever's popular.

Adrian, you don't have a clue what you're talking about. I looove old movies, and have brilliant taste in all movies from every era. DAWN OF THE DEAD wasn't only made on a shoe string budget (which it can be forgiven for) it also was made on a shoe-string brain. It isn't a good movie. It's boring, poorly written, acted, and the zombies look like shit. People who defend it all parrot the same crap, which is what you're doing. Objectively, it's indefensible, except as a joke, a tshirt, or an artifact of schlock filmmaking.

Think for yourself.

I know you have a much better taste than that, but Jesus, you really know how to say some dumb things.

Er...sorry I don't like your shit movie.... I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. :mistrust:

Scotty
11-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Sir Dawn of the Dead is Art. It is an Amazing film. It does it job continues a legacy. It is one of the best sequels to be put to celluloid.

Adrian B AWESOME
11-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Er...YES. It's an interesting idea that this kind of thing could happen overnight, while we sleep, while we are unaware and busy watching reality tv with our domestic partners. Hey look, REAL social commentary!

I admit it's original (for those who didn't see The Last Man On Earth, that is) but it's still a very depressing and boring movie. It's the best of his work, though. Sadly.

Adrian, you don't have a clue what you're talking about. I looove old movies, and have brilliant taste in all movies from every era. DAWN OF THE DEAD wasn't only made on a shoe string budget (which it can be forgiven for) it also was made on a shoe-string brain. It isn't a good movie. It's boring, poorly written, acted, and the zombies look like shit. People who defend it all parrot the same crap, which is what you're doing. Objectively, it's indefensible, except as a joke, a tshirt, or an artifact of schlock filmmaking.

Think for yourself.

Er...sorry I don't like your shit movie.... I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. :mistrust:

Yeah, I'm done. Whatever. Schlock filmmaking, you're right. Your taste is brilliant.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Sir Dawn of the Dead is Art. It is an Amazing film. It does it job continues a legacy. It is one of the best sequels to be put to celluloid.

It's not quite as good as Godfather 2, but it's close.

Ethan Van Sciver
11-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I'm done. Whatever. Schlock filmmaking, you're right. Your taste is brilliant.

I win. :)

Scotty
11-12-2007, 03:49 PM
It's not quite as good as Godfather 2, but it's close.

I'd put it up there also Empire.

Brian Defferding
11-13-2007, 06:16 AM
I just got done watching Feast. Excellent monster film, it was a real blast. Henry Rollins did pretty good in his role, hell they all did.

Thommy Melanson
11-13-2007, 06:18 AM
I just got done watching Feast. Excellent monster film, it was a real blast. Henry Rollins did pretty good in his role, hell they all did.

That scene toward the end with the biker chick...

...that was just so, so, so very wrong. :lol:

thatguyfromsyracuse
11-13-2007, 06:35 AM

It was actually good? I remember watching the Project Greenlight on this, but never really thought the movie looked all that good. Maybe I'll have to give it a try.

Thommy Melanson
11-13-2007, 06:39 AM
It was actually good? I remember watching the Project Greenlight on this, but never really thought the movie looked all that good. Maybe I'll have to give it a try.

"Good" is subjective. If this were a different era, it'd be like the middle feature at a drive-in.

It's definitely fun to watch with a bunch of friends, though.

thatguyfromsyracuse
11-13-2007, 06:55 AM
"Good" is subjective. If this were a different era, it'd be like the middle feature at a drive-in.

It's definitely fun to watch with a bunch of friends, though.

Noted. Thank you good sir!

Brian Defferding
11-13-2007, 07:04 AM
That scene toward the end with the biker chick...

...that was just so, so, so very wrong. :lol:

That was awesomely wrong! :lol:

Ethan Van Sciver
11-13-2007, 02:16 PM
I just watched The Eye, as Sara Poe recommended, and it was really a terrific, creepy movie. My wife doesn't enjoy foreign films where there is no option to get an English audio track, but this kept her riveted.

Thanks!

NeverWanderer
11-13-2007, 04:05 PM
I just watched The Eye, as Sara Poe recommended, and it was really a terrific, creepy movie. My wife doesn't enjoy foreign films where there is no option to get an English audio track, but this kept her riveted.

Thanks!

The Eye is pure sweetness!

I fear for the Jessica Alba remake, though...

Scotty
11-13-2007, 04:55 PM

Thanks!

I'm telling you Audition.