PDA

View Full Version : "Wendy. Darling. LIGHT of my LIFE. I'm not gonna hurt ya."

Brian Defferding
10-22-2007, 02:01 PM
"You didn't let me finish my sentence. I said, I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just gonna bash your brains in. I'm gonna bash 'em right the fuck in. Ha, ha."

Strikeout
10-22-2007, 02:13 PM
God, she has to be one of the ugliest women alive too.

A couple whacks from the bat might do her some good.

Brian Defferding
10-22-2007, 02:35 PM
To be fair, Jack ain't much of a looker either.

Buk Was Right
10-22-2007, 02:38 PM
This sounds vaguely familiar...

What's this from?

thatguyfromsyracuse
10-22-2007, 02:40 PM
This sounds vaguely familiar...

What's this from?

The Shining...Right?

Garth
10-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Love that film. I know it doesn't stay true to King's work and all, but it is creepy as fuck. And arguably the scariest of King's books put to film.

Buk Was Right
10-22-2007, 02:42 PM
The Shining...Right?

Ah, gotcha. That explains why I couldn't quite place it.

I've probably seen the whole movie, but never front to back... Only in pieces spread out over time.

thatguyfromsyracuse
10-22-2007, 02:43 PM

I've probably seen the whole movie, but never front to back... Only in pieces spread out over time.

I just haven't actually seen the movie in a while.

Garth
10-22-2007, 02:49 PM

ah, man, you are missing out!

Buk Was Right
10-22-2007, 03:19 PM
ah, man, you are missing out!

That's what I hear... But I've seen so much of the flick scattered about that I'm just not that motivated to sit down and watch the whole thing.

I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.

Brian Defferding
10-22-2007, 03:21 PM
I saw it last night, it's been years since I've seen it. I think that's my favorite line from the movie.

And yeah, fuck Stephen King for hating Kubrick's version. The made-for-TV-version sucked. Kubrick directed a masterpiece that will remain one of the creepiest movies of all time.

FredC
10-22-2007, 03:30 PM
The furry out of fucking nowhere towards the end always scares me.

I really need to watch this movie again.

Dark Sasha
10-22-2007, 03:31 PM
I saw it last night, it's been years since I've seen it. I think that's my favorite line from the movie.

And yeah, fuck Stephen King for hating Kubrick's version. The made-for-TV-version sucked. Kubrick directed a masterpiece that will remain one of the creepiest movies of all time.

Stephen King doesn't know what art is.

Garth
10-22-2007, 03:41 PM
The furry out of fucking nowhere towards the end always scares me.

I really need to watch this movie again.

Absolutely. It is just so bizarre that it is frightening. It is like suddenly you are in a bad dream. Not just a regular dream that are always in the movies. But a Lynchian dream, where things are just disjointed. That is incredibly creepy to me.

andrew french
10-22-2007, 03:52 PM
haha, awesome.

i just got to see this in a theater the other week, it was a great experience.

silverboy
10-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Great fucking scene. Any Nicholsen bashers need just watch that scene.

Thomas Mauer
10-22-2007, 04:16 PM
While I love Nicholson and Kubrick, this team-up didn't work for me. :(

FredC
10-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Absolutely. It is just so bizarre that it is frightening. It is like suddenly you are in a bad dream. Not just a regular dream that are always in the movies. But a Lynchian dream, where things are just disjointed. That is incredibly creepy to me.

It's odd you mention Lynch here. He and Kubrick are the only two people to ever really scare me with a movie (Fire Walk With Me and The Shining), and as such, those are two of my favorite movies.

Strikeout
10-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Stephen King doesn't know what art is.

Ah, King is the creator of The Shining. He didn't like the movie version because some of the themes in the book were not explored in the movie. I feel that The Shining a is deeply personal book to King, and it disappointed him when his vision didn't meet Kubric's.

I love both the book and the movie.

Lyfeforce
10-22-2007, 05:11 PM
The Shining...Right?

shush boy! you wannae us ta get sued?

Strikeout
10-22-2007, 05:14 PM
shush boy! you wannae us ta get sued?

Oh, of course, the "shin-ing".

Mike_Johnson
10-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Ah, King is the creator of The Shining. He didn't like the movie version because some of the themes in the book were not explored in the movie. I feel that The Shining a is deeply personal book to King, and it disappointed him when his vision didn't meet Kubric's.

Yup. Love the book, only find the movie to be so-so. My enjoyment of the book hurts the film a little.

stevapalooza
10-22-2007, 05:23 PM

Yeah. I've seen King in interviews say that Jack Torrance was basically him at that time in his life. He was feeling a lot of anxiety about his future and a little secret resentment toward his wife and kids. So I think it was very personal to him.

Nelson
10-22-2007, 05:32 PM

King bashing has become something of a pastime here on the Benbo. You'll get used to it.

GoddessOKay
10-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Oh, of course, the "shin-ing".

i'm glad of that...at 1st i thought Peter Pan went ape shit on his girl friend :lol:

c. page
10-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Yup. Love the book, only find the movie to be so-so. My enjoyment of the book hurts the film a little.

in pretty much complete agreement except that i really didn't like the movie. mostly because i hate shelley duvall and that damn little kid. if i was trapped in a hotel with them all winter, i'd take an axe to them, too.

Strikeout
10-22-2007, 05:38 PM
King bashing has become something of a pastime here on the Benbo. You'll get used to it.

Some of it IS called for.

I should know, I grew up in Bangor, Maine. Went to school with his nephews.

So, I've read and heard the majority of King's stuff. Some of his stuff is great, some of it is wretchedly awful.

DaveCummings
10-22-2007, 05:46 PM

Hell yeah! Stephen Weber in the TV version is no way near the insanity that it Jack Nicholson. Yeah Nicholson maybe almost to the point of him being a parody of himself now, but goddammit, when it comes to him playing someone completely unhinged, he is the master.

Mike_Johnson
10-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Some of it IS called for.

I should know, I grew up in Bangor, Maine. Went to school with his nephews.

So, I've read and heard the majority of King's stuff. Some of his stuff is great, some of it is wretchedly awful.

He does have some bad, but I think the good far out ways his missteps.

Brian Defferding
10-23-2007, 05:24 AM
Yeah. I've seen King in interviews say that Jack Torrance was basically him at that time in his life. He was feeling a lot of anxiety about his future and a little secret resentment toward his wife and kids. So I think it was very personal to him.

Hmph. I didn't know that.

Sam Little
10-23-2007, 05:29 AM
I love the Kubrick film but I saw it before I read the book (which I also love). Not sure if I'd feel the same way if I'd read the book first. The tv-movie was awful though. Especially the ending with the shiny happy ghosts. Ugh.

RebootedCorpse
10-23-2007, 05:30 AM

Quoted for extra-large truff!

Dreg
10-23-2007, 05:34 AM
A couple whacks from the bat might do her some good.

Whenever the camera rests on her for one of her long, contemplative shots, I always start singing "Stand By Your M-a-a-a-an."