PDA

View Full Version : Colbert on prez run: I'm serious

Ryudo
10-22-2007, 07:21 AM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Is Stephen Colbert serious when he says he wants to run for president in South Carolina?

Yes, according to the fake-news host himself who appeared on NBC’s Meet the Press Sunday after the very-real presidential candidate Barack Obama.

“I think a lot of people are asking whether—they say is this, is this real, you know? And to which I would say to everybody, this is not a dream, you’re not going to wake up from this,” Colbert told host Tim Russert. “I’m far real-er than Sam Brownback, let me put it that way.”

“I don’t want to be president,” he added. “I want to run for president. There’s a difference.”

Brownback, a Republican senator from Kansas, dropped his bid Friday after disappointing fundraising and low placement in most polls.

Colbert acknowledged his presidential campaign wouldn’t extend past his home state of South Carolina and said he will consider it successful if he just captures one state delegate.

“It’s proportional voting on the Democratic side — all I need is enough votes on the Democratic side to get one delegate, and I’ll feel like I’ve won. Because if, at the Democratic National Convention, somebody has to stand up and say, “The proud state of South Carolina, the palmetto state, the home of the greatest peaches and shrimp in the world, casts one vote for native son, Stephen Colbert,” I’d say I won.

Colbert has said he will seek to be a candidate in both the Democratic and Republican primaries in the Palmetto state. On his show Wednesday, he signed paperwork for both ballots. But as The Ticker reported last week, it remains to be seen whether the State parties will allow that to happen.

But Colbert, who didn’t break from his conservative-TV host act during the entire Meet the Press interview, gave plenty of hints he might not be too serious after all, including the revelation that he would consider embattled Idaho Sen. Larry Craig as his running-mate.

But the Comedy Central host refused to say if he’d met “in the same room” with Craig to discuss the potential ticket.

“Sorry, my lawyer’s telling me to say no more,” he said.

skinnyrunaway
10-22-2007, 07:25 AM
"I don't want to be president, I want to run for president."

AWESOME.

Zack
10-22-2007, 10:20 AM
he does have a face that belongs on paper money

Blake Sims
10-22-2007, 10:23 AM
haha this is hilarious! Im glad somebody is making a mockery of this whole thing!

Gregory
10-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Hopefully, he won't lose his TV time like Fred Thompson did.

Forrest
10-22-2007, 10:31 AM
"I don't want to be president, I want to run for president."

AWESOME.

I've watched so much Colbert Report that I can very clearly hear his voice when I read quotes like this. ...it's eerie.

Len Snark
10-22-2007, 11:35 AM
He's a winner even if he doesn't win.

Ryudo
10-22-2007, 11:38 AM
I would like to see him get such an overwhelming majority of the vote in SC that he continues his run.

Strikeout
10-22-2007, 11:44 AM
This is politcal satire at it's finest.

Ethan Van Sciver
10-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Another fake Republican president, terrific.

Ryan Elliott
10-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Another fake Republican president, terrific.

Yep, he can join the rest of them.

Every. Last. One.

GrandeMaestro FĂĽnke
10-22-2007, 12:14 PM
I really hope he gets at least one delegate.

Albert
10-22-2007, 12:24 PM
He definitely broke character in the Meet the Press interview. I watched it online, so maybe it didn't make the broadcast, but he talked with Russert about how he doesn't want his kids watching the show b/c then they might think he was being insincere when talking to them, and how he got started in Second City and that type of thing.