PDA

View Full Version : Atomic Robo #1

iGotKittyPryde
10-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Sooo... people claimed they were going to make a seperate review thread for this and then no one did, so, here's a new thread for it, even though it's almost a week old now.

For those who don't know this a new series from Red 5 publishing with art from Scott Wegener and it's written by Brian Clevinger. It's about a robot created by Nicola Tesla who's also very superhero-y and goes adventures and it's cooler than I'm describing it here.

The first issue is a fun done in one tale and it does go by rather fast, but while it lasts it's clever and well-done. The art reminds me of Stuart Immonen (with a dash of Mignola). In fact, while people have mostly said it's Hellboy-ish I'd prefer calling it Nextwave, with better manners.

Soooo... who picked it up and what did you think?

If it had won the review thread last week (which it nearly did...) I'd have given it an 8.5

thatguyfromsyracuse
10-15-2007, 02:54 PM
I picked this up but haven't gotten to it yet. Maybe tonight. Looking forward to it though, I really like the art.

Bill Nolan
10-15-2007, 03:25 PM
I see poor Scott all the time at shows and I still haven't read the thing. I wanted to order through a retailer so they could get sales rather than buy it directly from him. So I ordered it through my mail order supplier and I'll get it in about three weeks... I do own a t-shirt, tho'...

iGotKittyPryde
10-15-2007, 03:35 PM
I see poor Scott all the time at shows and I still haven't read the thing. I wanted to order through a retailer so they could get sales rather than buy it directly from him. So I ordered it through my mail order supplier and I'll get it in about three weeks... I do own a t-shirt, tho'...

I just saw Scott at the Nashua show the other day and talked to him awhile and it made me much more excited to read the further adventures of Atomic Robo. Not that I didn't like the first issue but the stuff he was describing in the later issues just sounded fun...

ClintP
10-15-2007, 03:37 PM
Mine is with DCBS at the moment. I plan to review it once I get it. Looks good though and I am glad it is getting some love.

Master Jack Rabbitt
10-15-2007, 03:40 PM
I bought it and loved it. Great fun story with some well-placed humor and fantastic art. 8.5/10

Thomas Mauer
10-15-2007, 03:59 PM
Mine's in the next DCBS shipment and should arrive around the time of my birthday in Nov. :)

Bill Nolan
10-15-2007, 04:01 PM
I just saw Scott at the Nashua show the other day and talked to him awhile and it made me much more excited to read the further adventures of Atomic Robo.

I was rocking a Robo shirt, at the table directly behind where Scott was sitting!

ClintP
10-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Mine's in the next DCBS shipment and should arrive around the time of my birthday in Nov. :)

Probably around the same time as those Irredeemable Ant-Man's that a birdy told me you were getting.

Thomas Mauer
10-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Probably around the same time as those Irredeemable Ant-Man's that a birdy told me you were getting.

:boogie:

ClintP
11-08-2007, 05:53 PM
As promised, I have returned to put my 2 cents down about this book. It was a very cool first issue. I really dug the humor and the action. It would make a great action flick if that ever is the case. The only negative thing I have to say about it is that it reads too quick and I want more. The art is really pretty. I really like the style in which the robot and his world are drawn in.

It was just a really fun book. I certainly hope it sells really good and you guys decide to make it an ongoing.

Score: 9/10

ZombieSpeedball
11-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Dude, I got a signed one from Scott Wegener.

Nick Spencer
11-08-2007, 06:41 PM
I loved this book. Really, really, really well done.

I'm pretty impressed by Red 5 as a publisher, too. Nice slate of books. Hope they last.

Donal DeLay
11-08-2007, 06:53 PM
I really love the potential of this book. I think I'm personally going to start loving it on a Hellboy level around issue 5, but it's great fun so far and Scott's really finding his mojo if those sketches on Oeming's board are any indication.

Bill Nolan
11-08-2007, 06:58 PM
I FINALLY got a copy in the mail Monday. Even tho' I've seen Scott at least three times, possibly more, since he's had copies available... Been so busy with other shit this week I still actually haven't read it. Feel like such a tool... I'll probably bring it to NYC with me next weekend so I can get my copy signed by both Scott and the writer.

HomerGator
11-08-2007, 07:13 PM
The first issue was fucking awesome, and I'll definitely be getting the rest of them.

NeverWanderer
11-09-2007, 12:06 AM
I already said this on the Oeming boards (just today, actually), but I fuggin loved this book. I'm tellin' you... Scud, Johnny 5, and Hellboy... this is their lovechild.

I'm also really impressed with Red 5. Every single one of their books looks interesting. (I'm VERY intrigued by that Abyss ad at the back of this issue.)

So, yeah! Good shit! And from what I've been reading, issue 2 is even better (review for it is up on www.geeksofdoom.com )

(...I swear that's not a plug...)

(...but I also do reviews there...)

Jacob Lyon Goddard
11-09-2007, 05:23 AM
i hear that there's an interesting batch of "pin-ups" in the upcoming issues....

Doug
11-09-2007, 05:35 AM
i hear that there's an interesting batch of "pin-ups" in the upcoming issues....

Nude Robo?

Jacob Lyon Goddard
11-09-2007, 05:37 AM
Nude Robo?

tastefully