PDA

View Full Version : Justice League Casting News

BENDIS!
10-14-2007, 07:13 PM
This weekend, Young Hollywood stepped into the superhero hall of justice to see who will get the parts in the big-budgeted Warner Bros. tentpole movie "Justice League of America."

Director George Miller flew in Saturday from his native Australia for a marathon casting session that started Sunday and continues Monday, seeing 35-40 actors test for roles in the comic book movie.

Miller is seeing about four or five actors for the parts of Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern and the Martian Manhunter, with a few overlaps. A few nonhero parts might be testing as well.

On the roll call are Adam Brody (Fox's "The O.C."), Joseph Cross ("Running With Scissors"), D.J. Cotrona ("Windfall"), Mary Elizabeth Winstead ("Grindhouse"), Michael Angarano ("Sky High"), Teresa Palmer ("Wolf Creek"), Max Thieriot ("Jumper") and rapper Common.

The cast of NBC's "Friday Night Lights" is well-represented as well, with Minka Kelly, Adrianne Palicki and Scott Porter also among those testing for parts. No costumes are involved in the tests, which are being taped as actors read script pages.

If the names feel young, it's because Miller is looking for actors to grow into their roles over the course of several movies. Sources say Miller, known to be a methodical director, is testing not only for the roles themselves but how the actors interact with one another while keeping an eye on the look of the whole group. The director is due to present his findings to the studio midweek.

Taxman
10-14-2007, 07:15 PM
I guess you Marvel guys are shakin' in your boots.

The Goddamn Schweitz!
Hurm...uhh...well...uhhh...fuck?

The Human Target
I have 100 bucks on this movie not being made in the next three years.

At least not with Supes, Bats and maybe Wonder Woman.

Ray G.
10-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Scott Porter for Green Lantern! I think he'd make a great Hal Jordan! Or if they're going for Kyle, Adam Brody is note-perfect!

Wait...fuck.

John Drake
10-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Scott Porter for Green Lantern! I think he'd make a great Hal Jordan! Or if they're going for Kyle, Adam Brody is note-perfect!

Wait...fuck.

What, fuck what? :scared:

HoldFastNow
10-14-2007, 07:27 PM
I just assumed that they were going to go with the Jon Stewart Lantern. I wonder if that is going to be the case?

cmoney
10-14-2007, 07:28 PM

Wait...fuck.

I thought I read they were going with John Stewart? Maybe I'm wrong...

ZombieSpeedball
10-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Adam Brody? Hmm... interesting. Could be pretty decent, unless he's Wonder Woman.

Flonk
I hope this is good. Any word on the villian yet? Starro?

Simps
They are. Porter would have made a great, cocky young Hal.

Ray G.
10-14-2007, 07:31 PM

Yep, that's the point. My mind immediately got excited when I realized that the perfect two choices to play my two favorite GLs were in that room, and neither of them would get the job. :(

I can't imagine who else Brody would play. Flash, possibly? Porter might be able to pull off Superman.

InBendiswetrust
10-14-2007, 07:32 PM
This is still gonna suck. Unless Adam Brody plays an amazing Flash.

chazbot
10-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Still has nothing on Cage. :lol:

Kirblar
10-14-2007, 07:33 PM
This sounds gross.

InBendiswetrust
10-14-2007, 07:36 PM
wtf? the kid from that crappy movie sky high is actually in the running for something? what is this? the jr. justic league?

Ray G.
10-14-2007, 07:37 PM
wtf? the kid from that crappy movie sky high is actually in the running for something? what is this? the jr. justic league?

No one from the young cast of Sky High not named Steven Strait should be cast in anything.

Flonk
10-14-2007, 07:40 PM

I liked Sky High. :?

InBendiswetrust
10-14-2007, 07:41 PM
No one from the young cast of Sky High not named Steven Strait should be cast in anything.

Agreed.

Michael Blacklist
10-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Relax... maybe Brody's auditioning for Snapper Carr.

:scared:

silverboy
10-14-2007, 07:44 PM
:no:

Ashwin Pande
10-14-2007, 07:46 PM

agreed.

nick maynard
10-14-2007, 07:48 PM
i like adam brody for flash.

The Human Target
10-14-2007, 07:48 PM
In a perfect world, Brody would be....

http://www.poster.net/ross-alex/ross-alex-plastic-man-9907194.jpg

With a less terrible outfit.

The Human Target
10-14-2007, 07:49 PM
agreed.

Sadly, I was drunk at the time.

So I owe my buddy a 100 bucks if the movie happens, but I myself get nothing if it doesn't. :sad:

HoldFastNow
10-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Adam Brody? Hmm... interesting. Could be pretty decent, unless he's Wonder Woman.

Maybe they can get Brody's ex-girlfriend for Wonder Woman
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/739/1ww091406qi9.jpg

Michael Blacklist
10-14-2007, 07:50 PM
agreed.

You'd be amazed at what gets greenlit and made when a strike is pending.

Flonk
10-14-2007, 07:55 PM
You'd be amazed at what gets greenlit and made when a strike is pending.

And why would a JLA movie be a bad thing?

Icaruss
10-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Adam Brody could be a good Flash, I guess. If they're going after the Justice League Unlimited version.

Michael Blacklist
10-14-2007, 07:57 PM

I'm not saying it is. I've just noticed a few people doubting that this movie's going to be made despite the fact of why it's being made.

Simps
10-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Why would a Fantastic Four movie be a bad thing? It's how it's handled and the vision (or lack thereof) of those attached to it.

Matt Jay
10-14-2007, 08:03 PM

I think it's a bad idea from a stortytelling standpoint (lots of people to introduce and develop; not to mention throw a plot in there) and from a business standpoint (at least three more of these characters could carry their own franchise. Why sell a ticket to one movie when you could sell tickets to three? And if the movie sucks then it's going to be harder to build a franchise with a character who was introduced to the mainstream in a sucky movie.)

Icaruss
10-14-2007, 08:06 PM
I think they should've just done the Superman/Batman movie, instead of a JLA one. It would've been easier, and much more kickass.

The Human Target
10-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Also, to even try to do it the "right way" would cost a fucking fortune, and as it stands now it kinda looks like their not going all out money wise on this.

cmoney
10-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Yep, that's the point. My mind immediately got excited when I realized that the perfect two choices to play my two favorite GLs were in that room, and neither of them would get the job. :(

I can't imagine who else Brody would play. Flash, possibly? Porter might be able to pull off Superman.

Hence the "wait...fuck." Alright, gotcha. Musta skimmed past that part the first time.

Simps
10-14-2007, 08:08 PM
I think it's a bad idea from a stortytelling standpoint (lots of people to introduce and develop; not to mention throw a plot in there) and from a business standpoint (at least three more of these characters could carry their own franchise. Why sell a ticket to one movie when you could sell tickets to three? And if the movie sucks then it's going to be harder to build a franchise with a character who was introduced to the mainstream in a sucky movie.)
I think the business reasoning is that this can be a launching pad for characters that might not have had the initial audience to support their own films. The same could be said of X-Men. It will be much easier to do a Wolverine or Magneto movie after the following the X-Men films created.

nick maynard
10-14-2007, 08:12 PM
In a perfect world, Brody would be....

http://www.poster.net/ross-alex/ross-alex-plastic-man-9907194.jpg

With a less terrible outfit.

you are one hundred percent correct.

johnstumbo
10-14-2007, 08:45 PM
I hope this is good.

THWIP!
10-14-2007, 08:58 PM
I hope this is good. Any word on the villian yet? Starro?

It's always...

THWIP!
10-14-2007, 08:58 PM
...Starro.

Ryan Elliott
10-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Well, that's what I was afraid of. They'd cast O.C. morons and rappers. To try and be hip and cool and "with it."

My faith in this movie dropped. A lot.

Joe Henderson
10-14-2007, 09:42 PM
I've read the scriiiiiiiiiiiiipt... :)

Raphael J
10-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Well, that's what I was afraid of. They'd cast O.C. morons and rappers. To try and be hip and cool and "with it."

You sound like old people.

Ryan Elliott
10-14-2007, 09:44 PM
I've read the scriiiiiiiiiiiiipt... :)

How did they write the character interactions?

And I swear to God if there is a high five in it that comes from ANYBODY but Flash and is immediately denied by everybody else I'll kill somebody.

Flonk
10-14-2007, 09:45 PM

Don't call it that.

Also, Mos Def was fantastic in the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie.

You sound like old people.

:lol:

Raphael J
10-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Don't call it that.

Flonk
10-14-2007, 09:47 PM
How did they write the character interactions?

And I swear to God if there is a high five in it that comes from ANYBODY but Flash and is immediately denied by everybody else I'll kill somebody.

Well, as long as you have an open mind...

Foolish Mortal
10-14-2007, 09:48 PM
The Batman and Superman franchises are going to keep going regardless if the JLA movie gets made or not.

That's probably why Brandon Routh and Christian Bale are not going to be in it so that the JLA movie doesn't disrupt their franchises.

Dr. Omega
10-14-2007, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I was almost getting hopeful for this film, especially with the news that WETA is doing the costuming. But this is really crappy.

EVERYONE is too young and most look.. well.. odd. Very geeky, scrawny, and just kind of funny looking. Great for a remake of Revenge of the Nerds. Crap for JLA.

Dr. Ω

The Doctor
10-14-2007, 11:45 PM
Oh dear we are very concerned.

Mr. E!
10-15-2007, 02:14 AM

I so beg to differ.
Mary Elizabeth Winstead.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j218/rae2317/normal_mary-elizabeth-winstead-gm_l.jpg
Now, I'm not sayin' she should play Wonder Woman...but I liked her in Sky High and Grindhouse, and she sure is pretty to look at.

Ryudo
10-15-2007, 06:49 AM
If anyone but Ryan Reynolds is Flash, I will be a sad monkey.

Ashwin Pande
10-15-2007, 07:06 AM
I so beg to differ.
Mary Elizabeth Winstead.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j218/rae2317/normal_mary-elizabeth-winstead-gm_l.jpg
Now, I'm not sayin' she should play Wonder Woman...but I liked her in Sky High and Grindhouse, and she sure is pretty to look at.

aye

but what role could she play. She's not right for Wonder Woman... is Black Canary in the movie? Again she wouldn't look right in a blonde wig or with peroxided hair...

Hawkgirl? is she in the movie?

Forrest
10-15-2007, 07:37 AM
I guess you Marvel guys are shakin' in your boots.

...god, this movie is going to suck... :-?

Generic Poster
10-15-2007, 07:51 AM
Common would be a pretty good John Stewart GL.

silverboy
10-15-2007, 08:17 AM
I said it before, I'll say it again:

Right now, the way the new Superman and Batman franchises are set up, both heroes are young. They could develop a Justice Leage, recruit new heroes, and make a decent movie out of it. It could work.

But, if you're not going to do the movie with Routh and Bale, don't do it at all. Then you get into debates of "Who's the better Superman?", "Would Bale had made the JLA movie better?" etc. Keep the actors the same, build the JLA movie around them, it might work.

Ryan Elliott
10-15-2007, 09:19 AM

Right now, the way the new Superman and Batman franchises are set up, both heroes are young. They could develop a Justice Leage, recruit new heroes, and make a decent movie out of it. It could work.

But, if you're not going to do the movie with Routh and Bale, don't do it at all. Then you get into debates of "Who's the better Superman?", "Would Bale had made the JLA movie better?" etc. Keep the actors the same, build the JLA movie around them, it might work.

I still say they need to let Singer and Nolan get in their three movies, finish with that. The take Bale and Routh and put them in a Justice League movie. That way you have the characters, and then spin-off their origin movies after Justice League.

HomerGator
10-15-2007, 09:20 AM

That's kind of how I feel, too.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a Justice League movie, I'm just not sure it's actually going to happen....

Xorn
10-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Adam Brody = Kyle Rayner . Nuff Said.

A.Huerta
10-15-2007, 09:37 AM

Anyone is better than Routh.

The Doctor
10-15-2007, 09:42 AM
I still say they need to let Singer and Nolan get in their three movies, finish with that. The take Bale and Routh and put them in a Justice League movie. That way you have the characters, and then spin-off their origin movies after Justice League.

I like this idea.

It's almost like WB has no patience to wait for all the characters to be established first.

'Let's just make it I don't care who's in it or how many non comic fans are confused.'

HomerGator
10-15-2007, 09:44 AM
I like this idea.

It's almost like WB has no patience to wait for all the characters to be established first.

'Let's just make it I don't care who's in it or how many non comic fans are confused.'

Yeah, shouldn't we at least get a Wonder Woman movie, or Flash or Green Lantern, before we get Justice League?

The Doctor
10-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Yeah, shouldn't we at least get a Wonder Woman movie, or Flash or Green Lantern, before we get Justice League?

I think so. We should def get a Wonder Woman movie.

Foolish Mortal
10-15-2007, 09:48 AM
We should, but perhaps Warner Bros doesn't believe their characters are strong enough to carry a movie on their own.

HomerGator
10-15-2007, 09:49 AM
I think so. We should def get a Wonder Woman movie.

Yeah, you'd think we'd at LEAST get the 'big three' in their own movies before we see them together.

HomerGator
10-15-2007, 09:50 AM
We should, but perhaps Warner Bros doesn't believe their characters are strong enough to carry a movie on their own.

Then Warner Bros. is el stupido! A Flash movie would be the bee's knees!

Ashwin Pande
10-15-2007, 09:52 AM
I for one would like to see more Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

That is all.

The Doctor
10-15-2007, 09:56 AM
Yeah, you'd think we'd at LEAST get the 'big three' in their own movies before we see them together.

That's what Marvel is doing and I'd bet damn good money they already have Robert Downey penciled in for a possible Avenger's movie.

MicahO
10-15-2007, 10:28 AM
I can definitely see Adam Brody as Flash if he you know... works out. He's got the wit and mannerisms. Common as John would be the best non-Hal GL that I can imagine.

Skatonic10
10-15-2007, 10:31 AM

I'd take that bet. WB is basically pushing as hard as they can to get this movie started before all of the strikes happen.

As for the casting of the actors listed... no comment. :no:

Dr. Omega
10-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Amen, brother.

Adam Brody = Kyle Rayner . Nuff Said.
Are you high?

Dr. Ω

Ashwin Pande
10-16-2007, 11:17 PM

I never got the hate for Routh.

I thought he did a decent job considering he was playing a dead, paralyzed actor playing a superhero.

I didn't hate Superman Returns because of Routh. I thought he pulled off quite a satisfactory performance for what Singer's interpretation of Richard Donner's Superman was.

Joe Kalicki
10-16-2007, 11:19 PM
I hated SUperman Returns because the climax was him lifting an island that reasonably should have killed him.

Ashwin Pande
10-16-2007, 11:24 PM
I hated Superman Returns because I felt the script was weak, Kate Bosworth was not good as Margot Kidder and the plot was pathetic. The only thing "Super" we saw Routh do in the movie was take a bullet in the eye and a homage to the cover of Action Comics #1. I didn't like them remaking the earlier movie franchise because I feel that movie has an outdated concept of Superman which doesn't really work today and that's one of the reasons I felt the movie didn't stir with my non-comic book geek friends as well. Even they were bored out of their skrulls.

Joe Kalicki
10-16-2007, 11:29 PM
Oh yeah, Bosworth was terrible. She's not nearly old enough to have lived Kidder's Lois' life plus five years as a mom on top of that.

Worst casting I've seen in a while.

Fusion
10-17-2007, 12:18 AM
Minka Kelly sounds good to me.

Ashwin Pande
10-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Oh yeah, Bosworth was terrible. She's not nearly old enough to have lived Kidder's Lois' life plus five years as a mom on top of that.

Worst casting I've seen in a while.

It wasn't her age that really bothered me... I really can't place what exactly bothered me... I just think she was a poor choice and was just completely wrong for the role.

From what I've read she was recommended by Spacey because of her work on his biopic on Bobby Darrin. I'll give him that she was good in that movie because she fit the role of Sandra Dee. She did not fit Lois Lane at all. She came off as annoying to me and I wondered why Superman would put up with her during the movie.

I think the best performance in the movie was delivered by James Marsden. And yes.. I'm including Gene Hackma... I mean Kevin Spacey.

Joe Kalicki
10-17-2007, 12:27 AM
Bosworth's age was the main thing with me, but she also lacked the humor of Kidder.

I've also said it would've been perfect if she had traded roles with Parker Posey.

The Doctor
10-17-2007, 02:28 AM
Bosworth's age was the main thing with me, but she also lacked the humor of Kidder.

I've also said it would've been perfect if she had traded roles with Parker Posey.

That's an itneresting thought.

Bosworth did look very, very young considering she should be about 30-33 she looked more like 19-21

Corwin: Bear Fighter
10-17-2007, 02:28 AM
This just sounds bad.

Evan the Shaggy
10-17-2007, 05:05 AM
So what's the average age of the people they're casting? 20?

Man you can't even have Ryan Reynolds as the Flash because he'd be friggin older than everybody else.

JBElliott
10-17-2007, 10:57 AM
If they want to make the movie with such young people, why not just make Teen Titans or the Legion of Super-Heroes? Why make a teeniebopper JLA movie when the JLA has never been that. Even more retellings of the origins of the JLA have had the heroes at least a few years into their careers, so none are as young as the direction that's being reportedly taken.

Oh well, in a few years whatever cast they come up with will look too old and then they'll start casting teenagers in the roles. Then teenagers will look too old and they'll turn to pre-teens, then "tweens", then grade schoolers, then pre-schoolers, then toddlers, then infants, then fetuses, they zygote, then sperm and eggs.

JBElliott
10-17-2007, 11:02 AM

Yes! Posey would have made a much better Lois. That said, Bosworth was great as Sandra Dee in Spacey's Darin movie.

Ryudo
10-17-2007, 11:07 AM
I don't think Posey would've been good either. Her character was weak, but I don't have anything else to base her on.

NickT
10-17-2007, 11:09 AM
So what's the average age of the people they're casting? 20?

Man you can't even have Ryan Reynolds as the Flash because he'd be friggin older than everybody else.
If we work at their age as of January 1st 2008:

Adam Brody - 28
Joseph Cross - 21
D.J. Cotrona - 27
Mary Elizabeth Winstead - 23
Michael Angarano - 20
Teresa Palmer - 21
Max Thieriot - 20
Common - 35

Average between them of 24. Reynolds is only 31, so not the oldest and not far from Brody or Cotrona.

JBElliott
10-17-2007, 11:09 AM
I don't think Posey would've been good either. Her character was weak, but I don't have anything else to base her on.

She's been in a lot of indie movies and is a very good actor. However, she usually plays more eclectic characters. I think she has the ability to play Lois as she should be played, but I'm not sure Posey could have resisted making Lois into more of a Posey type character. That said, I'd still bet Posey would have been better than Bosworth.

JBElliott
10-17-2007, 11:13 AM

Adam Brody - 28
Joseph Cross - 21
D.J. Cotrona - 27
Michael Angarano - 20
Teresa Palmer - 21
Max Thieriot - 20
Common - 35

Average between them of 24. Reynolds is only 31, so not the oldest and not far from Brody or Cotrona.

Throw out Common and the average goes down over a year. That's a bit too young. I'd say the big three should be in their late 20's or early 30's, GL in that range too, JJ older though a shapeshifter makes that concept irrelavent. The rest of the cast might work as being younger and thus defer to the big three.

How old were the characters supposed to be in the animate Justice League? That seemed to work well. Why not let Timm and Dini do it their way in live action?

NickT
10-17-2007, 11:14 AM

Adam Brody - 28
Joseph Cross - 21
D.J. Cotrona - 27
Michael Angarano - 20
Teresa Palmer - 21
Max Thieriot - 20
Common - 35

Of course, this is a pointless way to look at it when you consider that some of these will be going for the same roles, and some might not even be going for JLA parts.

Evan the Shaggy
10-17-2007, 11:16 AM
I didn't really recognize many of the names so I looked them up, and they really can't go with some of these actors unless they're making a Teen Titans movie.

I had no idea who Max Thierot was, but look at this guy, he looks like he's 12.

http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/X/b/P/nancydrewprem24.jpg

DAVE
Yeah a lot of these actors are young, being in their early to mid 20's. But that will seem old to the movie's target demographic: Children.

NickT
Throw out Common and the average goes down over a year. That's a bit too young. I'd say the big three should be in their late 20's or early 30's, GL in that range too, JJ older though a shapeshifter makes that concept irrelavent. The rest of the cast might work as being younger and thus defer to the big three.

How old were the characters supposed to be in the animate Justice League? That seemed to work well. Why not let Timm and Dini do it their way in live action?
Yeah but like I said, that's not going to be the cast. Two females going for casting, one female role in the JLA according to that. Hell, they might all be for two roles for all we know :)

Marc Lombardi
10-17-2007, 11:39 AM
They're Muppet Babying the JLA!!! :cry:

WAKKAJAWAKKA
10-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Hope It's Good.

Wayno.

Ryan Elliott
10-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Anybody wanna work out their own casts?

Batman-Christian Bale(yeah, I'm biased, so what? Wanna fight about it?)
Superman-Brandon Routh(I loved Superman Returns, and he did a good job)
Wonder Woman-Jessica Beil
Flash-Ryan Reynolds
Green Lantern-(If it was Hal Jordon I'd say David Boreanaz, but since it's Stewart, I don't really know)
Martian Manhunter-(Somebody big, imposing. With a deep voice. I don't want the size to be movie magic, I want to actually feel it. But I don't really know who.)
Aquaman-(Not sure of that one either)

WAKKAJAWAKKA
10-17-2007, 11:52 AM

Flash-Ryan Reynolds
Green Lantern-(If it was Hal Jordon I'd say David Boreanaz, but since it's Stewart, I don't really know)
Martian Manhunter-(Somebody big, imposing. With a deep voice. I don't want the size to be movie magic, I want to actually feel it. But I don't really know who.)

What Would You Say To Vin Diesel As Martian Manhunter? Big Guy, Deep Voice, And The Part Doesn't Really Require Fantastic Acting Skills.

Wayno.

Ryan Elliott
10-17-2007, 11:57 AM
What Would You Say To Vin Diesel As Martian Manhunter? Big Guy, Deep Voice, And The Part Doesn't Really Require Fantastic Acting Skills.

Wayno.

Hmm, that's an interesting choice. Martian him up a bit more and it's a pretty damn good choice.

Ryan Elliott
10-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Google says he's between 5'9"-6'1".

I don't know what to believe. :scared:

WAKKAJAWAKKA
10-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Hmm, that's an interesting choice. Martian him up a bit more and it's a pretty damn good choice.

I Think He Could Do It.

Wayno.

NickT
10-17-2007, 12:12 PM

Flash-Ryan Reynolds
I think GL will be Stewart.

JBElliott
10-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Cast all unknowns who look the parts and can act. That keeps the cost of the cast down and the studio can lock them all up for multiple movies. The movie shouldn't be a "star vehicle", rather the characters, story and action should be the focus.

P.S. Believe the short end of the stick with Vin Diesel, he's short, much too short to be a tall Martian.

WAKKAJAWAKKA
10-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Cast all unknowns who look the parts and can act. That keeps the cost of the cast down and the studio can lock them all up for multiple movies. The movie shouldn't be a "star vehicle", rather the characters, story and action should be the focus.

P.S. Believe the short end of the stick with Vin Diesel, he's short, much too short to be a tall Martian.

That Is So Easily Fixed. As Done With Eastwood And Tom Cruise And Some Others.

Wayno.

Marc Lombardi
10-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Also, if they don't cast Vinnie Chase as Aquaman it's a tragedy!

Joe Henderson
10-17-2007, 01:17 PM
I didn't really recognize many of the names so I looked them up, and they really can't go with some of these actors unless they're making a Teen Titans movie.

I had no idea who Max Thierot was, but look at this guy, he looks like he's 12.

http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/X/b/P/nancydrewprem24.jpg

He's actually fitting casting for the character I assume they're casting him for.

Skatonic10
10-17-2007, 01:26 PM

Flash-Ryan Reynolds

Do we know for sure its going to be John Stewart GL and not Hal? What the fuck is up with this? Hal got screwed out of the animated series, and now he is going to get screwed out of the movie too? That's so B.S. right there.

Mr. E!
10-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Do we know for sure its going to be John Stewart GL and not Hal? What the fuck is up with this? Hal got screwed out of the animated series, and now he is going to get screwed out of the movie too? That's so B.S. right there.

Can't have an all-white JLA

Ryan Elliott
10-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Can't have an all-white JLA

Well...Martian Manhunter is green...

Ethan Van Sciver
10-17-2007, 02:36 PM
It sounds amazing, frankly. A young JLA. :)

NickT
10-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Reasons John Stewart is better than Hal Jordan:

1 - He isn't Hal Jordan.

That is all :)

moonspider
10-17-2007, 04:29 PM
dunno much about this as i dunno if they'll ever get it done

Foolish Mortal
10-17-2007, 04:40 PM

Flash-Ryan Reynolds
I really don't think they will get Bale and Routh. The producers of the Batman and Superman franchises are not going to want their movies to get disrupted for a JLA movie.

A.Huerta
10-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Charcaters who dont have to be white are AquaMan, WonderWoman and GL.

The Doctor
10-17-2007, 04:51 PM

Flash-Ryan Reynolds
That's not bad.

Manhunter would most likely be CGI ala Davey Jones.

A.Huerta
10-17-2007, 04:53 PM
I dont think MM needs to be CG. He doesnt have anything on him (i.e. tentacles like DJ) He just needs good make up like Abe.

silverboy
10-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Yeah, think Mystique.

The Doctor
10-17-2007, 05:08 PM
I dont think MM needs to be CG. He doesnt have anything on him (i.e. tentacles like DJ) He just needs good make up like Abe.

Oh no but I'm just thinking out loud.

Barry Hollifield
10-17-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm looking foward to it...good or bad...it'll be fun.

bartleby
10-18-2007, 06:16 AM
Shannyn Sossamon is apparently up for the role of Wonder Woman. She's the writers' top choice, but one of the director's last.

http://www.cinematical.com/2007/10/18/exclusive-shannyn-sossamon-in-contention-for-wonder-woman-in-j/

Ashwin Pande
10-18-2007, 06:23 AM
Shannyn Sossamon is apparently up for the role of Wonder Woman. She's the writers' top choice, but one of the director's last.

http://www.cinematical.com/2007/10/18/exclusive-shannyn-sossamon-in-contention-for-wonder-woman-in-j/

she's not very tall though

Ashwin Pande
10-18-2007, 06:29 AM
Charcaters who dont have to be white are AquaMan, WonderWoman and GL.

i dunno if a non-white aquaman would work.

Wonder Woman at most can be olive-skinned... which she should be in the comics too actually...

GL can be any color they want depending on what species the writers choose... personally I would want Jack T. Chance in the role. He's way more interesting than either Hal or John Stewart anyday.

Tom Burgos
10-18-2007, 06:40 AM
i dunno if a non-white aquaman would work.

Wonder Woman at most can be olive-skinned... which she should be in the comics too actually...

Why?

She was a lump of clay given life by the goddesses.
And nowhere on any comics does it say that the goddesses gave her the same skin tone as the average greek person.

If Wonder Woman had been depicted as Asian all throughout her 60-plus year history, then you bet I would love to see someone like Devon Aoki or Maggie Q playing her.
If she had been depicted as black, then yeah, I would love to see her played by Zoe Saldana or Kerri Washington, but as it is, she has always been depicted as a Caucasian-looking, dark-haired, blue-eyed woman, and that's how she should be cast.
In my opinion of course.
I don't care if the actual actress they cast isn't Caucasian, as long as she looks like the Wonder Woman in the books (Lynda Carter herself wasn't full Caucasian, neither is Cameron Diaz nor Christina Aguilera, but they all look like what people think first when they think "White woman"

Just like I would hate if they cast Megan Fox to play Vixen or Storm.

Ashwin Pande
10-18-2007, 06:49 AM
Why?

She was a lump of clay given life by the goddesses.
And nowhere on any comics does it say that the goddesses gave her the same skin tone as the average greek person.

If Wonder Woman had been depicted as Asian all throughout her 60-plus year history, then you bet I would love to see someone like Devon Aoki or Maggie Q playing her.
If she had been depicted as black, then yeah, I would love to see her played by Zoe Saldana or Kerri Washington, but as it is, she has always been depicted as a Caucasian-looking, dark-haired, blue-eyed woman, and that's how she should be cast.
In my opinion of course.
I don't care if the actual actress they cast isn't Caucasian, as long as she looks like the Wonder Woman in the books (Lynda Carter herself wasn't full Caucasian, neither is Cameron Diaz nor Christina Aguilera, but they all look like what people think first when they think "White woman"

Just like I would hate if they cast Megan Fox to play Vixen or Storm.

Well she was white because she was created by a white person in a white country. The character I think should ideally be olive-skinned because that's the kind of climate the Amazons would have and greek people generally have. I'm saying I wouldn't mind an olive skinned Wonder Woman but I would mind a dark skinned wonder woman because it doesn't work. It worked for Catwoman (the movie sucked but I didn't really mind Berry playing Catwoman.. as in the concept of a black actress playing what is a white character..) because Catwoman isn't grounded in being of a particular racial background as such. Miller in Year One gave her slightly dark skin too if I recall. But Wonder Woman is supposed to be greek which is why any other skin color apart from white (because of the comics) and olive-brown (because of what it would be if it were real) I think would be wrong for the character's background.

Tom Burgos
10-18-2007, 06:58 AM
I don't know who else they will cast, but I betcha that Megan Fox and Elijah Kelly will end up playing Diana and John.
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/5818/mfug4.jpg
http://image01.ctvdigital.com/images/pub2upload/7/2007_7_13/elijahkelley.jpg
Fox looks like the comic book Diana and she has the sultry, sexy thing down (not necessarily the only thing that I would base a WW casting decision on, but that's how Hollywood works mostly for female parts in hoped-for blockbusters) and Kelly has an earthy, everyman, relatable quality about him that might work for Stewart.
And they are both 21, not the age I envision WW or GL to be of course, but a perfect age in Hollywood for actors to start hoped-for blockbuster trilogies.

I bet they will all be cast with the same standards as Fox and Kelly,; perceived hot up n comers (they are fresh off big hits Transformers and Hairspray) that are slightly recognizable to large audiences but not so brand-name big that they can't be locked into three picture deals for way less money than if they were say, Angelina Jolie or Denzel Washington-level big, obviously.

Ashwin Pande
10-18-2007, 07:10 AM
Mmmmmm... Megan Fox...

Anyway.. While I do think Megan Fox is extremely hot in a sickly.. emaciated kind of way.. I have no idea how she can act since I haven't seen Transformers yet. She is kind of skinny but Wonder Woman's interpretation from skinny to muscular has deferred on an artist to artist basis.

I have no idea who Elijah Kelly is...

Forrest
10-18-2007, 08:17 AM
She is kind of skinny but Wonder Woman's interpretation from skinny to muscular has deferred on an artist to artist basis.

Sure but I'd say a it's very important that the character appear physically strong, sorta like Lucy Lawless. :D

Fox looks like the comic book Diana and she has the sultry, sexy thing down (not necessarily the only thing that I would base a WW casting decision on, but that's how Hollywood works mostly for female parts in hoped-for blockbusters) and Kelly has an earthy, everyman, relatable quality about him that might work for Stewart.
And they are both 21, not the age I envision WW or GL to be of course, but a perfect age in Hollywood for actors to start hoped-for blockbuster trilogies.

I bet they will all be cast with the same standards as Fox and Kelly,; perceived hot up n comers (they are fresh off big hits Transformers and Hairspray) that are slightly recognizable to large audiences but not so brand-name big that they can't be locked into three picture deals for way less money than if they were say, Angelina Jolie or Denzel Washington-level big, obviously.

A good Diana needs to have Superman's charisma and Batman's will/inner-strength. I just don't see Megan Fox conveying that image very well. The role of WW is probably the most difficult to cast, even above Superman. I can't think of any actresses in the age range they're looking for who could pull this off. Dare I say that Kristen Bell could do it, if she had a different body (taller, darker, etc.). Still, I think that kind of actress they need is someone along the lines of Kristen Bell, Charlize Theron, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Lucy Lawless, etc. She can't be the typical Hollywood pretty face.

Also, I think if they go too far in the sex appeal category (e.g. Angelina Jolie) they'll betray the character. Angelina Jolie is always pushing the sex appeal angle in every damn movie I see her in. I have never been able to take her seriously outside of her sex appeal. Contrast this with Charlize Theron, who while ridiculously sexy can also be a world-class actor for strong-willed parts without using her sex appeal at all. (E.g. Monster, North Country, etc.)

...I guess Lucy Lawless is always using her sex appeal in her acting roles but for some reason I don't see her as the one trick pony that is Angelina Jolie...

Summary: Diana is damn hard to cast and the actress needs to have real depth and skill, not just sex appeal.

bartleby
10-18-2007, 04:22 PM
AICN is now saying that all the actors mentioned in the article were reading only for Flash and Wonder Woman. The rest of the cast will skew older than those two roles.

The Doctor
10-18-2007, 04:40 PM
AICN is now saying that all the actors mentioned in the article were reading only for Flash and Wonder Woman. The rest of the cast will skew older than those two roles.

Huzzah

Evan the Shaggy
10-24-2007, 08:06 AM
So two new rumors from Aint it Cool:

Rupert Evans is the top runner to be Supes in the movie (You might know this guy better as the regular guy from Hellboy):

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/3176505.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193B3EA2C03450C948630BB338C2B3AE075 5A5397277B4DC33E

The Flash in the movie will apparently be Barry Allen.

Ashwin Pande
10-24-2007, 08:10 AM

Rupert Evans is the top runner to be Supes in the movie (You might know this guy better as the regular guy from Hellboy):

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/3176505.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193B3EA2C03450C948630BB338C2B3AE075 5A5397277B4DC33E

Ehhhh... no on Rupert Evans.

and I guess if the Flash is Barry Allen then it's a safe bet DC will bring him back in Final Crisis and the circle of the silver age return will be complete.

Nick Spencer
10-24-2007, 08:17 AM

Well, the plus side to this is people might finally stop being so hard on Brandon Routh.

Seriously, awful choice. These actors they keep naming... they have no 'weight'.

Not saying this guy's a bad actor, but he's no Superman, the same way that dude from Transformers ain't Batman.

This thing is gonna be a disaster.

bartleby
10-24-2007, 08:19 AM
Seriously, awful choice. These actors they keep naming... they have no 'weight'.

Gravitas is the word you're looking for.

Nick Spencer
10-24-2007, 08:21 AM

Thank you. That's what I was lookin' for.

silverboy
10-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Mmmmmm... Megan Fox...

Anyway.. While I do think Megan Fox is extremely hot in a sickly.. emaciated kind of way.. I have no idea how she can act since I haven't seen Transformers yet. She is kind of skinny but Wonder Woman's interpretation from skinny to muscular has deferred on an artist to artist basis.

I have no idea who Elijah Kelly is...

I kinda doubt you'll have a great idea of how she can act after you see Transformers, either.

silverboy
10-24-2007, 08:33 AM
This movie still makes me shake my head.

If they wanted to do a Justice League movie, they should have began coordinating it and planning it along with the Batman and Superman francises. They shouldn't be throwing shit together like this.

Marc Lombardi
10-24-2007, 08:34 AM
Batman - Michael Keaton
Superman - CGI Christopher Reeve
Wonder Woman - Angelina Jolie
Aquaman - Ewan MacGreggor
Flash - Sean William Scott
Green Lantern (John Stewart version) - Taye Diggs
Martian Manhunter - Vin Diesel

The Goddamn Schweitz!
10-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Ugh, Megan Fox as Wonder Woman would be awful. That would not work well at all.

Nick Spencer
10-24-2007, 08:37 AM
This movie still makes me shake my head.

If they wanted to do a Justice League movie, they should have began coordinating it and planning it along with the Batman and Superman francises. They shouldn't be throwing shit together like this.

But haven't you heard? The script is AMAZING. Best script since Casablanca. Seriously. It's like Annie Hall with superheroes.

Everyone collecting a paycheck from Warner Bros. keeps telling us so. Over and over.

JBElliott
10-24-2007, 10:54 AM

Well that too. But the Rupert Evans doesn't have the weight for the role either, or the height or anything else.

bartleby
10-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Rumor is that Theresa Palmer has been cast as Wonder Woman.

http://www.moviehole.net/news/20071026_theresa_palmer_the_new_wonder.html

Matt Jay
10-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Rumor is that Theresa Palmer has been cast as Wonder Woman.

http://www.moviehole.net/news/20071026_theresa_palmer_the_new_wonder.html

http://images.askmen.com/women/celeb_profiles_actress_60/77_teresa_palmer.jpg

:mistrust:

Dreg
10-26-2007, 12:47 PM

Re-read the latest spoilers. It appears as if BOTH Barry and Wally will be in the script, and if the rumors are true, this would be a great way to begin the movie.

Nick Spencer
11-16-2007, 09:07 PM
IESB is reporting the following:

Adam Brody as Flash.

Common as Green Lantern.

Teresa Palmer as Talia.

Keep in mind, IESB broke George Miller as director, so they seem to have a pretty good source on this flick.

I'm actually fine with these announcements. It seems to me like the big 3 is where they've been off target. Brody could be a good young Wally, and at least Common's not a teenager.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3735&Itemid=99

Steve Marshall
11-16-2007, 09:26 PM

Adam Brody as Flash.

Common as Green Lantern.

Teresa Palmer as Talia.

Keep in mind, IESB broke George Miller as director, so they seem to have a pretty good source on this flick.

I'm actually fine with these announcements. It seems to me like the big 3 is where they've been off target. Brody could be a good young Wally, and at least Common's not a teenager.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3735&Itemid=99

Brody's not a terrible choice, but I was pulling for Scott Porter (assuming that was the role he was auditioning for.)

Matt O'Keefe
11-16-2007, 09:33 PM
Brody's not a terrible choice, but I was pulling for Scott Porter (assuming that was the role he was auditioning for.)

He wanted Green Lantern.

And FYI he's not a teenager.

Nick Spencer
11-16-2007, 09:37 PM
He wanted Green Lantern.

The Green Lantern in the script has always been John Stewart, so Porter definitely didn't audition for GL. It was probably either Flash or Superman.

Personally, I think Porter could be a kickass Nightwing in the Teen Titans movie. I'd be all over that. He's a great actor. I know he's not a teenager, but there's a reason he plays one on TV.

Steve Marshall
11-16-2007, 09:47 PM
He wanted Green Lantern.

Okay... I never said he was.

According to wiki, he's only four months older than Adam Brody.

nick maynard
11-16-2007, 09:54 PM
wow, i am really pumped about adam brody as flash! the persona works perfect, i think. any word on which flash this is?

Nick Spencer
11-16-2007, 10:00 PM
wow, i am really pumped about adam brody as flash! the persona works perfect, i think. any word on which flash this is?

Wally West. Barry Allen is in it, too. Connect those dots...

Ashwin Pande
11-16-2007, 10:00 PM

Wally West.

I dunno.... the more I hear about this movie the more I wish it was being made in CGI. None of these actors can physically pull off these roles imo. Make it CGI and get good voice actors.

Nick Spencer
11-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Wally West.

I dunno.... the more I hear about this movie the more I wish it was being made in CGI. None of these actors can physically pull off these roles imo. Make it CGI and get good voice actors.

I agree. With Beowulf, we see just how real that animation can look. Also, then you don't have the interference with the Batman and Superman movies.

nick maynard
11-16-2007, 10:07 PM
wait, talia? ras al ghul is in this? if so, ughhhhh. when are they going to get serious and use brainiac?

Ashwin Pande
11-16-2007, 10:12 PM
I agree. With Beowulf, we see just how real that animation can look. Also, then you don't have the interference with the Batman and Superman movies.

I haven't seen Beowulf yet but I saw the TMNT CGI movie earlier this week. That was jawdroppingly awesome and considering how cheesy and corny the last 3 TMNT movies were it was really refreshing to see it done right. IMO the CGI made that work. Some things just don't work as well in live action. A movie with one superhero can work but a movie with a lot of them will most likely come off looking goofy as hell but it'll work really well in animation.

Nick Spencer
11-16-2007, 10:16 PM
wait, talia? ras al ghul is in this? if so, ughhhhh. when are they going to get serious and use brainiac?

Talia is in it, not Ra's.

Y'know... everybody asks for Braniac. I'm a big Supes fan, and I dunno... I don't think he'd be such a great movie villain. I'd love to see Darkseid or The Anti-Monitor.

But yeah, the villains are pretty C-list. Max Lord and Talia, with The OMACS. I'm not feeling it.

nick maynard
11-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Talia is in it, not Ra's.

Y'know... everybody asks for Braniac. I'm a big Supes fan, and I dunno... I don't think he'd be such a great movie villain. I'd love to see Darkseid or The Anti-Monitor.

But yeah, the villains are pretty C-list. Max Lord and Talia, with The OMACS. I'm not feeling it.

id be way down with darkseid or the anti monitor.

im really hoping for brainiac someday though.

Nick Spencer
11-17-2007, 01:29 AM
The Scott Porter as Superman rumor is heating up... the cast gets officially announced next week, though it's possible something will get dropped tomorrow at Wizard World.

While I don't know if Scott has quite the look, and I don't like the whole different actors playing the same part thing, I'm more than willing to give the guy a chance, since he's really cool personally, a great actor, and a true fanboy. The guy has made it clear this is his dream job, so you can't help but pull for him.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/11/17/first-look-justice-league-of-america-cast/

To temper this, apparently Armie Hammer is in as Batman, which has to be the absolute worst casting ever.

http://www.batman-on-film.com/JL_hammer-cast-as-batman-bs_11-16-07.html

Here's another funny one. According to Cinema Blend, Michael Gough (last seen in Batman & Robin) may return as Alfred, which is just priceless. How much of a continuity clusterfuck can they make this thing? Maybe they're just clearing the way for a CRISIS movie where Val Kilmer and the kid from Flicka duke it out to see who gets to be Batman.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Scoop-Scott-Porter-Is-JLA-s-Superman-6958.html

Again, at least some of these rumors are likely the real deal, since the official statement comes next week (if not tomorrow).

UltimateFactor
11-17-2007, 03:45 AM
Booo! Common as GL would suck big nasty ass. I'd rather see LL Cool J than him. :sick: Honestly I think Michael Jai White would make a perfect John Stewart.

Bryan H
11-17-2007, 04:11 AM
I like Common's music, but I've never seen him act. So, here's hoping.

Foolish Mortal
11-17-2007, 04:49 AM
Common as Green Lantern.
Is Hollywood running out of young black actors? It's either Tyrese Gibson or some rap star that may or may not be able to act.

I'm very leery about this choice.

Foolish Mortal
11-17-2007, 04:55 AM
I haven't seen Beowulf yet but I saw the TMNT CGI movie earlier this week. That was jawdroppingly awesome and considering how cheesy and corny the last 3 TMNT movies were it was really refreshing to see it done right. IMO the CGI made that work. Some things just don't work as well in live action. A movie with one superhero can work but a movie with a lot of them will most likely come off looking goofy as hell but it'll work really well in animation.
Yes, that's been my point all along. 9, 10 people standing around talking, and running around in brightly colored costumes stretches the suspension-of-disbelief factor a bit too far. This would work much better as an animated film than a live-action one.

Nick Spencer
11-17-2007, 04:58 AM
Is Hollywood running out of young black actors? It's either Tyrese Gibson or some rap star that may or may not be able to act.

I'm very leery about this choice.

Yes, they are actually. They're greenlighting less films that star African Americans, so of course, what follows are fewer African American actors with a perceived box office draw.

So instead of doing more of those films, they find it easier to just go get a hip hop artist with their own audience that they'll bring.

Now, that having been said, seeing Common in American Gangster, he actually can act.

WinterRose
11-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Karen Cliche For Diana!!

Bryan H
11-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Yes, they are actually. They're greenlighting less films that star African Americans, so of course, what follows are fewer African American actors with a perceived box office draw.

So instead of doing more of those films, they find it easier to just go get a hip hop artist with their own audience that they'll bring.

Now, that having been said, seeing Common in American Gangster, he actually can act.

I didn't think he would be Ludacris-bad or anything, so that's good that he's got some skills. Hopefully he can become anothr Mos Def, who I think is a fine actor in his own right.

Ashwin Pande
11-17-2007, 01:37 PM
I didn't think he would be Ludacris-bad or anything, so that's good that he's got some skills. Hopefully he can become anothr Mos Def, who I think is a fine actor in his own right.

I thought Mos Def was alright as Ford Prefect but most people I've talked to hated him in that role... some of it was because it was pointless tokenism but I thought he pulled off the role fine.

Mos Def however kicks much, much ass on his various roles on the Chappelle Show. PRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Bryan H
11-17-2007, 01:41 PM
I thought Mos Def was alright as Ford Prefect but most people I've talked to hated him in that role... some of it was because it was pointless tokenism but I thought he pulled off the role fine.

Mos Def however kicks much, much ass on his various roles on the Chappelle Show. PRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Oh fuck that, he was great as Ford! He had the smile for it. I think I was one of the five people who saw that at the theater.

WinterRose
11-17-2007, 02:51 PM
Oh fuck that, he was great as Ford! He had the smile for it. I think I was one of the five people who saw that at the theater.

That was you three rows back? Neat!

And if we're getting the Justice League, we need freakin Hal Jordan.

Nick Spencer
11-18-2007, 11:04 PM
Ohhhhh man...

Superhero Hype is forwarding a different list of names for JLA, which doesn't even have a shooting script anyway (so it may not matter).

This is, quite possibly, the worst casting of all time, no?

Superman - D.J. Cotrona
Batman - Armie Hammer
Wally West/The Flash - Anton Yelchin
Aquaman - Santiago Cabrera
Iris - Zoe Kazan
Wonder Woman - Megan Gale
Talia al Ghul - Teresa Palmer
Green Lantern - Common

HILARIOUS.

Let's just hope this isn't for real. I mean, this "aging for sequels" thing is getting beyond ridiculous.

I guess Brandon Routh is breathing a big sigh of relief right now. Seriously, DJ Cotrona?

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6535

Ashwin Pande
11-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Ohhhhh man...

Superhero Hype is forwarding a different list of names for JLA, which doesn't even have a shooting script anyway (so it may not matter).

This is, quite possibly, the worst casting of all time, no?

Superman - D.J. Cotrona
Batman - Armie Hammer
Wally West/The Flash - Anton Yelchin
Aquaman - Santiago Cabrera
Iris - Zoe Kazan
Wonder Woman - Megan Gale
Talia al Ghul - Teresa Palmer
Green Lantern - Common

HILARIOUS.

Let's just hope this isn't for real. I mean, this "aging for sequels" thing is getting beyond ridiculous.

I guess Brandon Routh is breathing a big sigh of relief right now. Seriously, DJ Cotrona?

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6535

Megan Gale.. whoever the hell she is.. looks ok for Wonder Woman I guess...

http://www.megangale.net/pictures/Megan%20Gale%208.jpghttp://www.megangale.net/pictures/Megan%20Gale%204.jpghttp://www.megangale.net/pictures/Megan%20Gale%2013.jpg

This Cotrona dude however... looks damn near exactly like that Lois and Clark dude...

http://www.fanunity.com/dj-cotrona/images/dj-cotrona.jpg

and Iris is in the movie? Iris Allen? A young Iris Allen? What the fuck?? Just do Barry Allen if you want to for fuck's sakes. I hate this. They seem to be pussyfooting around this Barry Allen thing.. I mean come on enough already... if you're that desperate to bring the guy back then just fucking bring him back already... kill Wally West or whatever if you're that hard up for a Barry fix. I wont read it and I'll condemn them for it but at least it wont be this shit of will they wont they will they wont they. God I hate this!

c. page
11-18-2007, 11:33 PM

i don't even think luda's that bad an actor (in terms of rapper/actors). he was decent enough in crash and hustle and flow (admittedly playing himself pretty much), but not nearly as bad as say, 50 cent.

Nick Spencer
11-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Megan Gale.. whoever the hell she is.. looks ok for Wonder Woman I guess...

http://www.megangale.net/pictures/Megan%20Gale%208.jpghttp://www.megangale.net/pictures/Megan%20Gale%204.jpghttp://www.megangale.net/pictures/Megan%20Gale%2013.jpg

This Cotrona dude however... looks damn near exactly like that Lois and Clark dude...

http://www.fanunity.com/dj-cotrona/images/dj-cotrona.jpg

and Iris is in the movie? Iris Allen? A young Iris Allen? What the fuck?? Just do Barry Allen if you want to for fuck's sakes. I hate this. They seem to be pussyfooting around this Barry Allen thing.. I mean come on enough already... if you're that desperate to bring the guy back then just fucking bring him back already... kill Wally West or whatever if you're that hard up for a Barry fix. I wont read it and I'll condemn them for it but at least it wont be this shit of will they wont they will they wont they. God I hate this!

The movie begins at Barry's funeral, and has flashbacks featuring him.

Ashwin Pande
11-18-2007, 11:45 PM
The movie begins at Barry's funeral, and has flashbacks featuring him.

I see. I guess I have to eat my words about Barry Allen from my previous post.

I doubt that will actually get made. I doubt they're going to start a movie franchise with pre-existing superheroes who the general public know nothing of. It might be a great script or not or whatever... but I really doubt WB will let that happen. I mean.. you start off with that scene.. but who's going to know who the hell that is apart from us? Most people might have heard of the superhero but why would they care who that person is behind the mask?

First of all I don't think this movie will realistically ever get made because there's just way too much going on at the same time and apart from us nerds these characters really aren't that known or popular with the general public so there's no attachment with these characters. A Superman/Batman movie would be more realistically possible than a full on JLA movie imo. Not live action at any rate.

I haven't read the script but unless it is a work of pure genius I really don't see how they'll be able to wrap all of it together in a coherent plot that wont come off like the stupid JLA pilot from a few years ago. They're much better off doing it as a CGI movie or 2d Animation than live action.

c. page
11-18-2007, 11:48 PM
I see. I guess I have to eat my words about Barry Allen from my previous post.

I doubt that will actually get made. I doubt they're going to start a movie franchise with pre-existing superheroes who the general public know nothing of. It might be a great script or not or whatever... but I really doubt WB will let that happen. I mean.. you start off with that scene.. but who's going to know who the hell that is apart from us? Most people might have heard of the superhero but why would they care who that person is behind the mask?

First of all I don't think this movie will realistically ever get made because there's just way too much going on at the same time and apart from us nerds these characters really aren't that known or popular with the general public so there's no attachment with these characters. A Superman/Batman movie would be more realistically possible than a full on JLA movie imo. Not live action at any rate.

I haven't read the script but unless it is a work of pure genius I really don't see how they'll be able to wrap all of it together in a coherent plot that wont come off like the stupid JLA pilot from a few years ago. They're much better off doing it as a CGI movie or 2d Animation than live action.

i don't see how doing it as a CGI or 2d animated movie would make the plot any more coherent though.

sure, it'll help with effects/budget, but (using your argument) you still run into the problem of wrapping it together into a solid story that fits nicely into 90-120 minutes.

Ashwin Pande
11-18-2007, 11:59 PM
i don't see how doing it as a CGI or 2d animated movie would make the plot any more coherent though.

sure, it'll help with effects/budget, but (using your argument) you still run into the problem of wrapping it together into a solid story that fits nicely into 90-120 minutes.

You must have seen the animated Justice League movie right? (First three episodes of the first season of Justice League) That was less than 90 minutes and they pulled it off beautifully. You don't need to explain Superman and Batman because everyone knows who they are... but Wonder Woman, The Flash and Green Lantern.. a few minutes spent on how they got there would work. In an earlier post I used the TMNT example. Now the first 3 TMNT live action movies were corny as hell but the TMNT CGI movie had a plot and story that could probably be done in Live action too but it'd just come off as corny and perhaps even a little silly but it worked in animation.

For animation all you gotta do is take a cue from the Justice League team to see how it can be done. What I guess I'm also saying is that audience expectations differ depending on whether they're seeing something in live action and animation. You can pull off a hell of a lot more suspension of disbelief in animation than in live action. For example I'd bet that if the scene of Superman lifting the kryptonite Island was done in an animated movie people wouldn't have found it as ridiculous or silly. From what I've heard similar stuff happens in the Superman : Doomsday cartoon but it got ok-ish reviews and I kept reading people saying that it was the movie Superman Returns should have been.

c. page
11-19-2007, 12:19 AM
You must have seen the animated Justice League movie right? (First three episodes of the first season of Justice League) That was less than 90 minutes and they pulled it off beautifully. You don't need to explain Superman and Batman because everyone knows who they are... but Wonder Woman, The Flash and Green Lantern.. a few minutes spent on how they got there would work. In an earlier post I used the TMNT example. Now the first 3 TMNT live action movies were corny as hell but the TMNT CGI movie had a plot and story that could probably be done in Live action too but it'd just come off as corny and perhaps even a little silly but it worked in animation.

the difference being that superheroes are a bit easier to deal with from an effects standpoint than mutated reptiles that practice ninjitsu. let's also not forget that the original three turtles movies were done in a time when the effects work wasn't quite up to the standards it is today.

i think with the right cast, you can do a live action justice league movie right. as you said, just follow the cue of the cartoon and you should be fine. there's more of a precedent for the live action superhero movie than one with ninja turtles which, to my thinking, comes off as just a bit sillier than superheroes (though not by much).

For animation all you gotta do is take a cue from the Justice League team to see how it can be done. What I guess I'm also saying is that audience expectations differ depending on whether they're seeing something in live action and animation. You can pull off a hell of a lot more suspension of disbelief in animation than in live action. For example I'd bet that if the scene of Superman lifting the kryptonite Island was done in an animated movie people wouldn't have found it as ridiculous or silly. From what I've heard similar stuff happens in the Superman : Doomsday cartoon but it got ok-ish reviews and I kept reading people saying that it was the movie Superman Returns should have been.

as for superman:doomsday vs. superman returns, i think people expected much more action in superman returns (the common complaint being that he spent the whole movie "lifting things"). superman:doomsday delivered on that action, with the fight with doomsday and the toyman in particular.

so i don't necessarily think in THAT case, it would be an issue of something live action being less acceptable for suspension of disbelief.

Ashwin Pande
11-19-2007, 12:42 AM
the difference being that superheroes are a bit easier to deal with from an effects standpoint than mutated reptiles that practice ninjitsu. let's also not forget that the original three turtles movies were done in a time when the effects work wasn't quite up to the standards it is today.

i think with the right cast, you can do a live action justice league movie right. as you said, just follow the cue of the cartoon and you should be fine. there's more of a precedent for the live action superhero movie than one with ninja turtles which, to my thinking, comes off as just a bit sillier than superheroes (though not by much).

as for superman:doomsday vs. superman returns, i think people expected much more action in superman returns (the common complaint being that he spent the whole movie "lifting things"). superman:doomsday delivered on that action, with the fight with doomsday and the toyman in particular.

so i don't necessarily think in THAT case, it would be an issue of something live action being less acceptable for suspension of disbelief.

Well I agree that the argument between which is sillier : Ninja Turtles or A bunch of flying men is a pretty thin line :D

I dunno... I just don't see this cast pulling off these kind of roles. They're going for a younger up and coming actors cast which might work for a kiddie movie but for guys like me it'll be like Spider-Man 3 again.. you end up watching a movie that's meant for 8 year olds and you can't help but come out of it disappointed. An animated movie would be more likely to satisfy a kiddie audience as well as a person like me so that's my preference. A live action movie could very well in theory be very good... but I sincerely doubt it because I just don't see anyone being able to pull it off well. Even if Bale and Routh were in it I'd say it wouldn't work because I don't think it's logistically possible to have a good live action movie with so much going on and in the scale that it should ideally be.

There's too much that can go wrong in Live action as compared to animation and that's why I see them eventually turning to animation as a more workable means of production for movies on the scale of this.

Nick Spencer
11-19-2007, 01:29 AM
Personally, I think the problem with this movie isn't the premise, or the budget, or the director. When they got to casting on this thing, everything just went haywire, big time. I mean, I know it's been said a million times, but these kids look way, way, way too young. They're so terrified the actors will be too old for sequels, when half of these characters are drawn like they're in their late 30s and early 40s. People don't think of Superman as a kid, unless you're talking Smallville. Hell, I thought Brandon Routh even looked kinda young (but he won me over), but he's a senior citizen next to this Cotrona kid.

People aren't going to want to see this-- you have to have at least SOME star power in a movie like this. I suspect the piss-poor fan reaction is giving Warners cold feet, and they might be using the strike to get out of it without losing face.

I really think a JLA movie could work, AFTER the third Batman and the second Superman. Give those stories some closure. Then, if its time to change actors, it makes more sense. But all these different film continuities... what a mess. What's constantly funny to me is that's been a problem with DC's COMICS as well. Kinda fitting, I guess... but when you have Alfred from the original four Batman films and the daughter of Ra's al Ghul who was in Begins, all even though the kid playing Batman looks 10 years younger than Christian Bale... that's just a clusterfuck, and I refuse to believe it won't confuse the hell out of audiences.

Ashwin Pande
11-19-2007, 02:48 AM
I never thought of a problem being confusing to audiences in the sense that "Wha.. But this isn't Batman from the other movie.. this is some other guy!! I dropped my coke in my popcorn!! I'm confused!! I want my money back!!" kind of thing. I think one of the biggest mistake movie studios make is assuming that the audience is fucking stupid. Like they wont be able to figure out a concept as simple as y'know... two different movies existing about similar characters. However I do think confusion will come into play if they don't develop the background of certain characters like the Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, etc because those characters have never been in the mainstream... well Wonder Woman has but that was almost 30 years ago. People know who she is but I don't think they'll be as aware as knowing what she's about. Audiences might not be confused but I sure as hell think they'll ask questions like "Wait a sec... Green Lantern's black now??"

Nick Spencer
11-19-2007, 03:10 AM
I never thought of a problem being confusing to audiences in the sense that "Wha.. But this isn't Batman from the other movie.. this is some other guy!! I dropped my coke in my popcorn!! I'm confused!! I want my money back!!" kind of thing. I think one of the biggest mistake movie studios make is assuming that the audience is fucking stupid. Like they wont be able to figure out a concept as simple as y'know... two different movies existing about similar characters. However I do think confusion will come into play if they don't develop the background of certain characters like the Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, etc because those characters have never been in the mainstream... well Wonder Woman has but that was almost 30 years ago. People know who she is but I don't think they'll be as aware as knowing what she's about. Audiences might not be confused but I sure as hell think they'll ask questions like "Wait a sec... Green Lantern's black now??"

I understand what you mean, but they're throwing in these little nods to the different movies in ways that even I find a little confusing, like Talia and Alfred.

Ashwin Pande
11-19-2007, 03:15 AM
Well Alfred could just be some other dude and it wouldn't be too hard to show Talia being half-caucausian and half-asian (although I guess the actress cast isn't... that's what I'd have done anyway) and her running a large business empire. It wouldn't be too difficult to imagine Ra's from Begins having a side dummy company to fund his schemes of destruction and giving his daughter the company to run. You could even tie Luthor into that. But yeah.. the casting for this movie gives off a very Jr. Justice League vibe.

Ryan Elliott
11-19-2007, 04:05 AM
Well Alfred could just be some other dude and it wouldn't be too hard to show Talia being half-caucausian and half-asian (although I guess the actress cast isn't... that's what I'd have done anyway) and her running a large business empire. It wouldn't be too difficult to imagine Ra's from Begins having a side dummy company to fund his schemes of destruction and giving his daughter the company to run. You could even tie Luthor into that. But yeah.. the casting for this movie gives off a very Jr. Justice League vibe.

Which sucks a lot.

Nick Spencer
11-19-2007, 04:22 AM

I completely know what you mean, dude... but I'm just gonna have a little fun with this--

Bruce Wayne replaced Alfred with another guy named Alfred? But wait, isn't that the Alfred from the old Batman movies? Is this that Batman?

And Talia... I mean, how did Batman get to be 10 years younger if he's already faced Ra's? And I thought this was the other Batman. Or a new one. If they were all OLDER actors, maybe this could work. But younger?

I'm not saying audiences can't deal with it, though I do think movie audiences aren't quite as up on the concept of differing continuities as comic book fans, and this movie seems to be deliberately trying to mix and match.

Here what I think they should do: after Man of Steel and Nolan's third Batman, do Superman/Batman. Lex Luthor and Ra's Al Ghul team up to take over the world by inciting a war between mankind, amazonians, and atlanteans-- the idea being that once everyone has beaten each other, in the aftermath, the world will be theirs for the taking. This gives you a chance to do a high profile Wonder Woman introduction without forcing her to carry her own movie. Plus you get cool sea monsters for Superman and Aquaman to duke it out with.

After that, I'd do a Green Lantern movie, then tie it all into Justice League, followed by a Wally West Flash pic. I mean, that's pretty similar to how Marvel's doing it with Avengers. It helps your audience by lulling them into accepting that many heroes together if you take the time to lay out a shared universe. If you just throw it all at them at once, well... it's gonna look ridiculous seeing all those costumes next to each other. Especially when everyone wearing them looks like they're 16.

Ashwin Pande
11-19-2007, 04:29 AM
Here what I think they should do: after Man of Steel and Nolan's third Batman, do Superman/Batman. Lex Luthor and Ra's Al Ghul team up to take over the world by inciting a war between mankind, amazonians, and atlanteans-- the idea being that once everyone has beaten each other, in the aftermath, the world will be theirs for the taking. This gives you a chance to do a high profile Wonder Woman introduction without forcing her to carry her own movie. Plus you get cool sea monsters for Superman and Aquaman to duke it out with.

After that, I'd do a Green Lantern movie, then tie it all into Justice League, followed by a Wally West Flash pic. I mean, that's pretty similar to how Marvel's doing it with Avengers. It helps your audience by lulling them into accepting that many heroes together if you take the time to lay out a shared universe. If you just throw it all at them at once, well... it's gonna look ridiculous seeing all those costumes next to each other. Especially when everyone wearing them looks like they're 16.

that'd be cool in a Lord of the Rings way but I think too many movies featuring the same superheroes over and over again (with most likely different actors playing the same character at different times because it's been proven hard to find a successful actor to do the same role over and over again.. especially a superhero role) would most likely bore people with the concept and intrude upon the comic space. I mean the movies would become like comic books... things like a Teen Titans movie spawning a Young Justice spinoff movie spawning an Outsiders movie spawning a Checkmate movie... y'know what I mean? What'd be the fun of comic books when the movies are doing exactly the same thing?

Personally I see these movies as a phase that'll last maybe the next 5 years and then overnight we'll see no superhero movies being made again and I don't think that'd necessarily be a bad thing. I mean there's been talk of Ant-Man having a movie... freakin' Ant-Man!! Come on!!

Nick Spencer
11-19-2007, 04:38 AM
that'd be cool in a Lord of the Rings way but I think too many movies featuring the same superheroes over and over again (with most likely different actors playing the same character at different times because it's been proven hard to find a successful actor to do the same role over and over again.. especially a superhero role) would most likely bore people with the concept and intrude upon the comic space. I mean the movies would become like comic books... things like a Teen Titans movie spawning a Young Justice spinoff movie spawning an Outsiders movie spawning a Checkmate movie... y'know what I mean? What'd be the fun of comic books when the movies are doing exactly the same thing?

Personally I see these movies as a phase that'll last maybe the next 5 years and then overnight we'll see no superhero movies being made again and I don't think that'd necessarily be a bad thing. I mean there's been talk of Ant-Man having a movie... freakin' Ant-Man!! Come on!!

Yeah, but Edgar Wright might be doing Ant-Man! C'mon! That'd be really cool.

I dunno... even that story I laid out (granted just a dumb fan dream) is pretty simplistic compared to comic book crossovers. And in general, fans have shown that the closer you ape the comics, the happier they are-- see Spider-Man 1 & 2, for instance.

I guess we'll find out if it works when Marvel does it with Avengers. I'm very impressed by that long-term plan.

Ashwin Pande
11-19-2007, 04:46 AM
Yeah, but Edgar Wright might be doing Ant-Man! C'mon! That'd be really cool.

I dunno... even that story I laid out (granted just a dumb fan dream) is pretty simplistic compared to comic book crossovers. And in general, fans have shown that the closer you ape the comics, the happier they are-- see Spider-Man 1 & 2, for instance.

I guess we'll find out if it works when Marvel does it with Avengers. I'm very impressed by that long-term plan.

Hmmm. Ant-Man might be cool then.

You might have a point there... Sin City and 300 were loved by both comic book guys and regular folks and so was Batman Begins.

What's their long-term plan?

Nick Spencer
11-19-2007, 05:03 AM
Hmmm. Ant-Man might be cool then.

You might have a point there... Sin City and 300 were loved by both comic book guys and regular folks and so was Batman Begins.

What's their long-term plan?

They're doing stand-alone Iron Man, Thor, Ant-Man, and Captain America films... but each apparently will have a cameo from Nick Fury (and possibly the Black Widow, depending on what rumors you believe). Then when they do Avengers, and Nick Fury brings the team together, it should feel pretty natural, since, hey, he's already been in all their films.

And Samuel L. Jackson directed by Edgar should be fucking HILARIOUS.

Ashwin Pande
11-19-2007, 05:09 AM
They're doing stand-alone Iron Man, Thor, Ant-Man, and Captain America films... but each apparently will have a cameo from Nick Fury (and possibly the Black Widow, depending on what rumors you believe). Then when they do Avengers, and Nick Fury brings the team together, it should feel pretty natural, since, hey, he's already been in all their films.

And Samuel L. Jackson directed by Edgar should be fucking HILARIOUS.

Hmm.. that does seem like a better idea than the Jr. Justice League.

And as long as Samuel L. Jackson says something along the lines of "What the hell is a motherfucking Ant-Man???" I'm down for that movie.

Nick Spencer
11-19-2007, 06:46 AM
Scott Porter has confirmed to Comics Continuum that he did not audition for Superman, but The Flash. While this doesn't totally discount him as Big Blue, it does make it unlikely.

Scott is a hell of a guy and a true comic fanboy. I love that he actually sounded concerned that he could do Superman justice, and I love his idea of playing Hawkeye in an Avengers movie. I really hope this guy gets a superhero role someday-- maybe in a better movie than this.

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0711/18/scottporter.htm

bartleby
12-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Los Angeles Times is reporting that Adam Brody has signed on to play the Flash.