PDA

View Full Version : You have one dish to convince a vegetarian that meat is good...

silverboy
10-14-2007, 12:05 PM
...what is it?

twigglet
10-14-2007, 12:06 PM
A bacon and cheese sandwhich, with some brown sauce on the side.

Perfection in a roll.

EDIT: But then again, I don't think veggies think meat is bad, they just don't want animals to be killed for thier food.

Magnum V.I.
http://www.fcstone.com/_common/images/shared/Raw_Steak.gif

Whip
Caesar salad...

WITH CHICKEN.

silverboy
10-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Caesar salad...

WITH CHICKEN.

Correct.

Or chicken fettucini.

You can't overwhelm the vegetarian with the meat...you have to sneak it in there...

silverboy
10-14-2007, 12:08 PM
EDIT: But then again, I don't think veggies think meat is bad, they just don't want animals to be killed for thier food.

It depends on the vegetarian. You can think of the question as "...eating meat is good?"

Kingsumo
http://www.fcstone.com/_common/images/shared/Raw_Steak.gif

Call me crazy, but you would have a better chance if you cooked the steak first.

And I would say a well done beef and broccoli would be a good way to go. But chicken would probably go over better digestion wise.

Thommy Melanson
How can have any pudding if they don't eat their meat? :-?

Kingsumo
10-14-2007, 12:09 PM
A bacon and cheese sandwhich, with some brown sauce on the side.

Perfection in a roll.

Uhm. What exactly is brown sauce?

Raphael J
Popcorn Shrimp...with CLUB SAUCE.

Magnum V.I.
Call me crazy, but you would have a better chance if you cooked the steak first.

And I would say a well done beef and broccoli would be a good way to go. But chicken would probably go over better digestion wise.

You're crazy. They have to eat it raw to get the full flavor.

Shepherd
10-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Yeah! Then let's convince Muslims that pork is good. And Hindus that beef is good! And people with allergies that peanuts are good! Because I understand people's motivations really well! Whooo!

R

Kingsumo
10-14-2007, 12:14 PM
You're crazy. They have to eat it raw to get the full flavor.

And, you know, the full trip to the emergency room for food poisoning.

Magnum V.I.
Yeah! Then let's convince Muslims that pork is good. And Hindus that beef is good! And people with allergies that peanuts are good! Because I understand people's motivations really well! Whooo!

R

And then let's convince Jews to Eat Cheeseburgers and Shrimp!

Magnum V.I.
And, you know, the full trip to the emergency room for food poisoning.

Ok it's obvious. I want to kill vegetarians :(

Ray G.
10-14-2007, 12:15 PM
A nice thick Mandarin Noodle Soup, in a thick brown broth with vegetables, mushrooms, and sliced beef, chicken, and shrimp. Just to show them how all the elements make it taste so darn good.

Ashwin Pande

R

Wouldn't have to do much convincing with me :D

Kingsumo

Hey! I am jewish and I eat cheesburgers and Shrimp.

I like shep's idea about the peanut thing. That could be good fun for the whole family.

twigglet
Uhm. What exactly is brown sauce?

If America doesn't have brown sauce.. I might have to rethink me wanting to move there one day.

http://www.britsuperstore.com/acatalog/daddies_brown_sauce.jpg

Donal DeLay
10-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Can't I just show them footage of plants being tortured by being grown with hazardous chemicals, ripped from the ground, and cut to peices, then throw plant juices on them?

Kingsumo
10-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Ok it's obvious. I want to kill vegetarians :(

See. Now don't you feel better for getting that out in the open.

Dave S.
10-14-2007, 12:17 PM
A dozen buffalo wings from Jeremiah's in Rochester, NY.

Ashwin Pande
10-14-2007, 12:19 PM
I once ordered chopsuey for me and my vegetarian cousin. I ordered a veggie one for her and a chicken one for me. Apparently it got mixed up and they sent two chicken chopsuey's.

She ate halfway through it before asking me.. "Hey.. is this chewy white stuff... chicken?"

She vomited most of it back up and said she really felt weird in her stomach for having eaten it.

So I guess chicken doesn't work.

Kingsumo
10-14-2007, 12:20 PM
If America doesn't have brown sauce.. I might have to rethink me wanting to move there one day.

http://www.britsuperstore.com/acatalog/daddies_brown_sauce.jpg

So I actually wiki'd this.. it appears to be steak sauce.

I cannot say I have seen anything called brown sauce specifically (at least on the west coast) but we do have similar stuff anyway.

Whip
10-14-2007, 12:21 PM
I once ordered chopsuey for me and my vegetarian cousin. I ordered a veggie one for her and a chicken one for me. Apparently it got mixed up and they sent two chicken chopsuey's.

She ate halfway through it before asking me.. "Hey.. is this chewy white stuff... chicken?"

She vomited most of it back up and said she really felt weird in her stomach for having eaten it.

You shoulda said no.

silverboy
10-14-2007, 12:21 PM

It sounds to like if she hadn't have known, she would have been fine. All psychological.

bradical
10-14-2007, 12:22 PM
haggis.

twigglet
10-14-2007, 12:24 PM
So I actually wiki'd this.. it appears to be steak sauce.

I cannot say I have seen anything called brown sauce specifically (at least on the west coast) but we do have similar stuff anyway.

Hmm, we don't normally have it with steaks.

But then again we don't have that awesome mustard that you do in a lot of places.

Brown sauce is in the big two of sauce in England I'd say, I can't believe you guys don't have it properly in the states.

Shepherd
10-14-2007, 12:24 PM

High five!

R

Kingsumo
10-14-2007, 12:27 PM

But then again we don't have that awesome mustard that you do in a lot of places.

Brown sauce is in the big two of sauce in England I'd say, I can't believe you guys don't have it properly in the states.

Well again, the lack may be just a west coast thing. Different culinary influenes then the east coast. I know that just the concept of fish and chips is not very popular here beyond the coast area's, and condiments like malt vinagar are rather hard to come by.

I may have too look harder though, if only cause I am now curious as to the taste.

Shepherd
10-14-2007, 12:29 PM
It sounds to like if she hadn't have known, she would have been fine. All psychological.

Yeeaaah. That's not how it works at all. If you eat something by accident that you haven't eaten in a lot time, it makes your stomach upset. Maybe she wouldn't have puked, but she wouldn't have felt well, that's for sure.

R

bradical
10-14-2007, 12:29 PM
a steak sandwich and a, steak sandwich.

Lemonade Lady
10-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Taste tends not to be the main objection vegetarians have towards meat.

Allan
10-14-2007, 12:31 PM

That sounds like an awesome surf and turf burger. Through in some bacon and I think we've got a winner.

Magnum V.I.
10-14-2007, 12:31 PM
That sounds like an awesome surf and turf burger. Through in some bacon and I think we've got a winner.

I think they have this at Red Robin. I am totally going to Red Robin for dinner.

Ashwin Pande
10-14-2007, 12:32 PM
You shoulda said no.

Yeah... but I still felt she should know. It wasn't her fault, the restaurant guy fucked up.

Hell I'm even kinda responsible for feeding a muslim friend of mine ham.

We were at a subway and I ordered us two subs. Turned out one of them had ham in it which I realised after looking at the menu again and suddenly it hit me that he's a muslim and shouldn't be eating that.

He saw me looking at the menu and noticed my face had gone white. He looked at it and realised the same thing. He was cool about it though. He said as long as he didn't eat it purposely his belief was that Allah wouldn't mind.

Hmm.. so I've destroyed at least two peoples' chances to get into heaven...

Afny
10-14-2007, 12:32 PM
I find this whole thread in bad taste...

Dave S.
10-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Yeeaaah. That's not how it works at all. If you eat something by accident that you haven't eaten in a lot time, it makes your stomach upset. Maybe she wouldn't have puked, but she wouldn't have felt well, that's for sure.

R

I was vegetarian for 3 years. I ate buffalo wings and was fine. I only ate chicken for a while after that. But had a hamburger about a year later. And was fine.

It's psychosomatic. If it was true that eating things you haven't eaten in a long time made you sick, then eating anything new would upset your stomach. And yet, people all around the world try things for the first time and are fine.

Ashwin Pande
10-14-2007, 12:35 PM

R

she didn't vomit because she was sick though.. she vomited to get the chicken out of her stomach because she didn't want to have eaten it.

Boris the Blade
10-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Sure, and when I posted a "You have one arguement to convince a black person that slavery was good" thread, I was discriminating against people. You make me sick.

Bedlam66
10-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Hot Wings Bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

saymama
10-14-2007, 12:52 PM
crabmeat au gratin

Masculine Todd
10-14-2007, 12:52 PM
This is a severe misconception about vegetarians.

The majority do not abandon meat because of it's taste, but the ideology of eating a once-living animal and the rather cruel and unethical practices of many processing plants/cattle farms.

I loved meat (not a euphemism), which only makes my two years as a vegetarian that much more impressive and an exercise in restraint and discipline. I would greatly enjoy a steak or meat lasagna or grilled chicken or popcorn shrimp or (my past favorite) tilapia. However, due to my own personal choices and lifestyle, I am able to resist eating them.

Beep Beep!
10-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Prime rib at this place in Kansas City:

http://www.goldenox.com/

Ray G.
10-14-2007, 01:20 PM
I took a friend of mine who was convinced to become vegetarian by his girlfriend in high school to this favorite restaurant of mine that has both meat and vegetarian menus. He had just broken up with the girl, and was starting to realize that he only did it all these years to please here. It worked.

www.eurasianeatery.com , if you like good food.

Ethan Van Sciver
10-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Steamed Maine lobster.

Ben
10-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Steamed Maine lobster.Yeah, that's a great place to start - a giant sea bug that's boiled alive. :roll:

This thread is ridiculous.

Amos Moses
10-14-2007, 01:36 PM
I'd beat them with a 18 oz Sirloin until they decided to eat it to stop the beatings.

Kingsumo
10-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Yeah, that's a great place to start - a giant sea bug that's boiled alive. :roll:

With Butter sauce even. :)

I'd beat them with a 18 oz Sirloin until they decided to eat it to stop the beatings.

I like your style good sir.

(akaRyanHoffman)
10-14-2007, 01:40 PM

R

That one is nothing like the other two, because that could KILL the person. The other two are choices.

King of Mars
10-14-2007, 01:40 PM
I've never met any vegetarians who had to be convinced meat is good, unless they were the neurotic "everything is gross" sort of people who don't really enjoy anything. Most of the vegetarians I've met have to put some effort into denying the seductive beauty of meat.

Ethan Van Sciver
10-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Yeah, that's a great place to start - a giant sea bug that's boiled alive. :roll:

I think the point of the thread is to ask what our singular favorite meat dish is. It's not really about converting veggies.

Steamed Maine lobster is absolutely amazing.

Ray G.
10-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Lobster is the #1 reason that even as I find myself growing more religious and putting more effort into following some of the religious obligations(fasting, no leavened bread on Passover, etc), I have no intention of ever going Kosher.

Shepherd
10-14-2007, 01:47 PM
I've never met any vegetarians who had to be convinced meat is good, unless they were the neurotic "everything is gross" sort of people who don't really enjoy anything. Most of the vegetarians I've met have to put some effort into denying the seductive beauty of meat.

If you don't eat it for a long time, you stop thinking of it as food, and there's no seduction at all. Maybe at first it was a little hard, but now eating meat isn't even something that occurs to me.

R

Shepherd
10-14-2007, 01:48 PM
That one is nothing like the other two, because that could KILL the person. The other two are choices.

I'm well aware. I was just pointing out how trying to convince someone that something is "good" is a total misunderstanding of people's motivations. Vegetarians don't not eat meat because they don't think it's "good," in the same way that that's not the motivation for people with allergies. While vegetarians and people with allergies don't have the same motivations either, neither of them don't eat the food because of the "goodness" of it.

R

Masculine Todd
10-14-2007, 01:51 PM
I think the point of the thread is to ask what our singular favorite meat dish is. It's not really about converting veggies.

It must be, because the initial purpose is absurd.

Ashwin Pande
If you don't eat it for a long time, you stop thinking of it as food, and there's no seduction at all. Maybe at first it was a little hard, but now eating meat isn't even something that occurs to me.

R

From my visit to Thailand I got the inference that being a vegetarian in that part of the world would be damn near impossible. Everything has some form of seafood in it and a lot of the food was cooked in some sort of fish oil deravative. (Man that smell from the food takes some getting used to...) The only vegetarian food the vegetarians in my group found was at Indian restaurants where the food was cooked in vegetable oil.

I guess it must be similar in Korea?

NickT
Wild Boar. A whole boar, brought in to the room carried on the shoulders of Brian Blessed.

Shepherd
10-14-2007, 01:52 PM

I agree. If the initial post just said, "what's your favorite meat dish?" I would see no problem with this thread.

R

Ray G.
10-14-2007, 01:53 PM

I don't think it's quite as absurd as all that. There are cases where vegetarians might be rethinking their choice of diet, same as many meat-eaters choose to become vegetarians.

In fact, I imagine it'll become more and more common, as the original vegetarians have children, raise them vegetarian, and the kids grow up and start wondering what they're missing.

NickT
10-14-2007, 01:54 PM

They don't have Worcester Sauce or Jelly Babies either.

(akaRyanHoffman)
10-14-2007, 01:54 PM
I'm not an idiot. I was just pointing out how trying to convince someone that something is "good" is a total misunderstanding of people's motivations. Vegetarians don't not eat meat because they don't think it's "good."

R

I know you're not an idiot and I apoligize if it came off that way. I just saw "one of those things is not like the other." And yeah, vegetarians have whatever personal, religious or spiritual reason they won't eat meat...

Ashwin Pande
10-14-2007, 01:55 PM
In fact, I imagine it'll become more and more common, as the original vegetarians have children, raise them vegetarian, and the kids grow up and start wondering what they're missing.

Well here it doesn't really happen that way. The parents are vegetarians because their parents were vegetarians whose parents before them were vegetarians and so on.

It's a combination of the magic threat of religion and tradition that makes most vegetarians here not eat meat.

Shepherd
10-14-2007, 01:55 PM
From my visit to Thailand I got the inference that being a vegetarian in that part of the world would be damn near impossible. Everything has some form of seafood in it and a lot of the food was cooked in some sort of fish oil deravative. (Man that smell from the food takes some getting used to...) The only vegetarian food the vegetarians in my group found was at Indian restaurants where the food was cooked in vegetable oil.

I guess it must be similar in Korea?

I found other stuff in Thailand too, but yeah, it is more difficult here than in the US. When I first came here, some stuff slipped by without my knowing, but I doubt it does these days (because my language skills are better, so I can ask more clearly). When the stuff slipped by, I often felt sick, and I didn't know why at the time, which leads me to believe it's not psychosomatic as other posters have pointed out.

R

Ray G.
10-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Well here it doesn't really happen that way. The parents are vegetarians because their parents were vegetarians whose parents before them were vegetarians and so on.

It's a combination of the magic threat of religion and tradition that makes most vegetarians here not eat meat.

Right, in India it'll be different. There's a whole large segment of the population that's vegetarian, right?

In America, though, I don't believe Vegetarianism was popular until thirty years ago or so.

Shepherd
10-14-2007, 02:01 PM
I know you're not an idiot and I apoligize if it came off that way. I just saw "one of those things is not like the other." And yeah, vegetarians have whatever personal, religious or spiritual reason they won't eat meat...

No problem. I know what you mean. I was just making an extreme example to point out that there are different motivations for not doing things.

R

xyzzy
10-14-2007, 02:01 PM
I think I'd go with something raw. Tuna tartare or sushi.

Ashwin Pande
10-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Right, in India it'll be different. There's a whole large segment of the population that's vegetarian, right?

Yup. Meat eaters would be in the minority and beef eaters among the hindus would be miniscule.

For some people it's heavily enforced by religion. Jainism for example. They're what has now become known as Vegan for the most part. They even have religious facecloth to protect insects and whatnot from being accidentally swallowed by them because they hold all life sacred. (Actually I don't know if that's true or not... it probably has some deeper significance.. but that is the Urban Legend about it.)

I have a couple of Jain friends... it's a real pain in the ass hanging out with them. They don't drink alcohol or eat meat so going out becomes kind of annoying with them just sitting there watching the rest of us get drunk.

Masculine Todd
10-14-2007, 02:07 PM
I don't think it's quite as absurd as all that. There are cases where vegetarians might be rethinking their choice of diet, same as many meat-eaters choose to become vegetarians.

The theme of the thread assumes vegetarians can be convinced to abandon their lifestyle based on the taste of a particular meat dish. This completely neglects the fact that most practicing vegetarians design their diet based on personal ideological differences with eating animals/animal cruelty as opposed to taste. I love the taste of meat products. Despite this, I've been a vegetarian for two years. Every vegetarian I know once enjoyed meat-based foods.

It is, in fact, an absurd premise and almost suggests that vegetarianism is a superficial matter of 'taste.'

Bedlam66
10-14-2007, 02:35 PM
I found other stuff in Thailand too, but yeah, it is more difficult here than in the US. When I first came here, some stuff slipped by without my knowing, but I doubt it does these days (because my language skills are better, so I can ask more clearly). When the stuff slipped by, I often felt sick, and I didn't know why at the time, which leads me to believe it's not psychosomatic as other posters have pointed out.

R

The theme of the thread assumes vegetarians can be convinced to abandon their lifestyle based on the taste of a particular meat dish. This completely neglects the fact that most practicing vegetarians design their diet based on personal ideological differences with eating animals/animal cruelty as opposed to taste. I love the taste of meat products. Despite this, I've been a vegetarian for two years. Every vegetarian I know once enjoyed meat-based foods.

It is, in fact, an absurd premise and almost suggests that vegetarianism is a superficial matter of 'taste.'

I think your both Crazy. I'm convinced that Vegetarians are a Myth Perpetrated by Crazy people and that they don't really Exist. There is nothing you can say do or Show me that will prove Otherwise.

I love Veggies but "Animal Cruelty" Isn't going to Convince me that I don't want to Eat Hot Wings or Sushi or a Nice 1 1/2 Pound Bloody rare Steak. :p

The Roman Candle
10-14-2007, 02:40 PM
A Portillo's hot dog.

chazbot
10-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Anyone say baby yet??

Hock
10-14-2007, 02:43 PM
Shake 'N Bake

Shepherd
10-14-2007, 02:44 PM
I think your both Crazy. I'm convinced that Vegetarians are a Myth Perpetrated by Crazy people and that they don't really Exist. There is nothing you can say do or Show me that will prove Otherwise.

I love Veggies but "Animal Cruelty" Isn't going to Convince me that I don't want to Eat Hot Wings or Sushi or a Nice 1 1/2 Pound Bloody rare Steak. :p

I don't know about Todd, but I'm not trying to convince anyone. Go to town on your steak! I couldn't care less. Vegetarianism is just something I do, not something I try to push on anyone else.

R

Shepherd
10-14-2007, 02:45 PM
Anyone say baby yet??

But prepared how?

R

chazbot
10-14-2007, 02:45 PM
But prepared how?

R

on a spit??

Magnum V.I.
10-14-2007, 02:46 PM
They don't have Worcester Sauce or Jelly Babies either.

We do have Worcester Sauce!

Shake 'N Bake

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/1159349/photo_14_hires.jpg
Now this is Happening.

Shepherd
10-14-2007, 02:47 PM
on a spit??

No marinade or anything? I don't know, not too convincing.

R

NickT
10-14-2007, 02:50 PM
But prepared how?

R
Well when a man and a woman love each other very much...

Brian Defferding
10-14-2007, 02:52 PM
http://www.bjwinslow.com/Images/corpses/mutilated%20corpse%2012%20with%20plastic%20blood.J PG

Have at it!

GelfXIII
10-14-2007, 02:55 PM
That doesn't even look like blood :(

That's one of them Imitation cannibal meat bodies made of veggie paste, isn't it?

nick maynard
10-14-2007, 03:01 PM
A dozen buffalo wings from Jeremiah's in Rochester, NY.

hell yeah!! i used to live right down the street from that place.

you don't think it can be?

Shepherd
10-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Well when a man and a woman love each other very much...

Ha! Best possible answer.

R

silverboy
10-14-2007, 03:49 PM

The majority do not abandon meat because of it's taste, but the ideology of eating a once-living animal and the rather cruel and unethical practices of many processing plants/cattle farms.

I loved meat (not a euphemism), which only makes my two years as a vegetarian that much more impressive and an exercise in restraint and discipline. I would greatly enjoy a steak or meat lasagna or grilled chicken or popcorn shrimp or (my past favorite) tilapia. However, due to my own personal choices and lifestyle, I am able to resist eating them.

You're generalizing. I've known vegetarians who don't eat meat for ideological reasons, and vegetarians who just don't like meat.

I was just asking what you would use to convince a vegetarian (either one) that meat is awesome.

Ben
10-14-2007, 03:52 PM

In fact, I imagine it'll become more and more common, as the original vegetarians have children, raise them vegetarian, and the kids grow up and start wondering what they're missing.Yeah, just like all those kids grow up and end up eating dogs and cats because they'd been wondering what they were missing their whole lives. :roll:

silverboy
10-14-2007, 03:53 PM
I agree. If the initial post just said, "what's your favorite meat dish?" I would see no problem with this thread.

R

I didn't think this thread would be offensive. It was just something that was fun to think about. I didn't say there was anything wrong with being a vegetarian. Just wanted to know what meat-eaters would try to use to convert them.

Is that so offensive?

Lemonade Lady
10-14-2007, 04:19 PM
You have one man to convince lesbians that the cock is awesome!!!

silverboy
10-14-2007, 04:20 PM
You have one man to convince lesbians that the cock is awesome!!!

Tony Danza.

(It's not like vegetarianism is genetic. It's a choice.)

Ben
10-14-2007, 04:27 PM
I didn't think this thread would be offensive. It was just something that was fun to think about. I didn't say there was anything wrong with being a vegetarian. Just wanted to know what meat-eaters would try to use to convert them.

Is that so offensive?If it is offensive, it's offensive because it implies that the only reason a vegetarian would avoid meat is because of taste instead of all the MANY other reasons to avoid it.

Ray G.
10-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Yeah, just like all those kids grow up and end up eating dogs and cats because they'd been wondering what they were missing their whole lives. :roll:

80%+ of Americans don't eat dogs and cats.

Smokinblues
10-14-2007, 04:29 PM
If it is offensive, it's offensive because it implies that the only reason a vegetarian would avoid meat is because of taste instead of all the MANY other reasons to avoid it.
so what?

Ben
10-14-2007, 04:31 PM
so what?So that's why it could be offensive.

Ben
10-14-2007, 04:32 PM
80%+ of Americans don't eat dogs and cats.I didn't know 80% of people had to be doing something you're not doing before you can classify it as something you're "missing."

Simps
10-14-2007, 04:33 PM
This completely neglects the fact that most practicing vegetarians design their diet based on personal ideological differences with eating animals/animal cruelty as opposed to taste.
That's a huge leap and supposition you're making.

The vegeterians I know don't eat it because they either don't like the taste, or for health reasons. I'm not claiming they are the majority, either, just that it would be just as incorrect to make make that generalization on behalf of "most" vegetarians.

Ray G.
10-14-2007, 04:34 PM
I didn't know 80% of people had to be doing something you're not doing before you can classify it as something you're "missing."

You don't think that a child of a vegetarian will have significant social pressure on him to try meat?

silverboy
10-14-2007, 04:38 PM
If it is offensive, it's offensive because it implies that the only reason a vegetarian would avoid meat is because of taste instead of all the MANY other reasons to avoid it.

I didn't mean to imply that. I was just asking a question, it was a game. Not a social statement.

half guard
10-14-2007, 04:39 PM

yep. my daughter didn't stop eating meat because she didn't like the taste. she stop eating meat because she doesn't like the idea of eating animal flesh.

Magnum V.I.
10-14-2007, 04:40 PM
yep. my daughter didn't stop eating meat because she didn't like the taste. she stop eating meat because she doesn't like the idea of eating animal flesh.

But it's ok to eat the Flesh of vegetables?

WillieLee
10-14-2007, 04:46 PM
But it's ok to eat the Flesh of vegetables?

Yes.

Magnum V.I.
10-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Yes.

Sadist.

Albert
10-14-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm going to not read this thread because it'll probably just annoy me. Restraint!

Shane W
10-14-2007, 04:57 PM
I don't understand why anyone cares what others eat.

Masculine Todd
10-14-2007, 04:58 PM
I don't know about Todd, but I'm not trying to convince anyone. Go to town on your steak! I couldn't care less. Vegetarianism is just something I do, not something I try to push on anyone else.

R

I'm not militant about being a vegetarian in relation to pushing my diet on others. I don't condemn anyone or chastise them for eating meat. It's my own personal disdain for the treatment of animals in processing plants/farms and my own qualms about eating a once living animal that convinces me to not ingest meat, poultry or sea food. If you do, more power to you.

You're generalizing. I've known vegetarians who don't eat meat for ideological reasons, and vegetarians who just don't like meat.

I was just asking what you would use to convince a vegetarian (either one) that meat is awesome.

I've yet to meet a person who didn't eat meat, poultry and seafood simply because they don't like the taste. I've known people who didn't eat poultry. I've known people who didn't eat meat. I've known people who didn't eat seafood, but never a combination of the three on mere taste alone.

As I've always understood it, being a vegetarian is a conscious choice based on a desire to avoid eating a once living animal. Vegetarianism is an ideological choice based on a philosophical concept. Not eating meat, poultry and seafood because of taste is nothing more than an issue of diet. Again, that's how I always understood it.

Regardless, I'm not trying to reprimand you Silverboy, but thinking you can change a person's commitment to not eat formerly-living animals because something tastes good is silly. Yes, there are vegetarians who eventually wain themselves back to meat, but that's a commentary on their devotion/commitment and not necessarily a reflection of them being swayed by a hearty dish.

WillieLee
10-14-2007, 04:59 PM

People always feel the need to enforce their beliefs on others.

Albert
OK, I will say something. I think there are plenty of people who don't eat meat at least in part because they don't dig it. I never grew up eating anything like steak (I've never even had one ever!) or ribs or anything like that. If I ever did eat meat, it was in very small portions, and I ate things like tofu almost since birth. So I actually think the idea that any vegetarian would love to eat meat if they "could" is pretty short-sighted when really it's just not that great to some people! And I don't really think those people should be seen as "less" vegetarian than others when usually there are a number of facts contributing into such a decision.

Taki Soma
I was a vegetarian for like 12 years. What I missed most was chicken noodle soup and after including meat in my diet, I still Luuurve the CNS.

Oh, and I found out that I really like turkey too. yay turkey!!

Shane W
10-14-2007, 05:00 PM
People always feel the need to enforce their beliefs on others.

Yeah? Well that's YOUR belief!

WillieLee
10-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Yeah? Well that's YOUR belief!

And I won't rest until you agree!

Afny
I was a vegetarian for like 12 years. What I missed most was chicken noodle soup and after including meat in my diet, I still Luuurve the CNS.

Oh, and I found out that I really like turkey too. yay turkey!!

Turkey (thanksgiving style, dry with salt) and fried chicken are the meat I miss the most.

Taki Soma
OK, I will say something. I think there are plenty of people who don't eat meat at least in part because they don't dig it. I never grew up eating anything like steak (I've never even had one ever!) or ribs or anything like that. If I ever did eat meat, it was in very small portions, and I ate things like tofu almost since birth. So I actually think the idea that any vegetarian would love to eat meat if they "could" is pretty short-sighted when really it's just not that great to some people!

same here. meat was not the central part of my diet growing up. I wasn't trying to avoid it either, it just wasn't as appealing to me as to most meat enthusiasts.

Albert
10-14-2007, 05:02 PM
same here. meat was not the central part of my diet growing up. I wasn't trying to avoid it either, it just wasn't as appealing to me as to most meat enthusiasts.

Maybe it's an Asian thing. Go Asians! Whoooooo!

Masculine Todd
10-14-2007, 05:03 PM
That's a huge leap and supposition you're making.

The vegeterians I know don't eat it because they either don't like the taste, or for health reasons. I'm not claiming they are the majority, either, just that it would be just as incorrect to make make that generalization on behalf of "most" vegetarians.

I would see my last post about vegetarianism.

However, having joined Peta2 this summer, according to the pamphlets they hand out and all the research they cite, the majority of vegetarians do not eat meat because of ideological differences with ingesting once living animals. However, both PETA and Peta2 are notorious for "playing with statistics" for their own agenda.

I have known a few people who didn't eat all three because of health issues, but never because of taste alone (though I've known people who didn't each combinations of the three because of taste).

Ben

Oh, and I found out that I really like turkey too. yay turkey!!It's really easy to make CNS without chicken.

Smokinblues
I know a few vegetarians that started eating meat again, for a variety of reasons. It's not uncommon.

Ben
10-14-2007, 05:05 PM
You don't think that a child of a vegetarian will have significant social pressure on him to try meat?If you had social pressure as a child to eat your dog or cat, do you think that would've driven you to try it? I'm assuming you had a dog or a cat of some kind as a kid.

I'm not saying this is an absolute with people. I knew a few people growing up that had pet cows and somehow had no problem continuing to eat beef (including beef that came from their pet that was slaughtered). Kids are not the brightest humans out there.

WillieLee
10-14-2007, 05:05 PM
It's really easy to make CNS without chicken.

Don't they call that noodles?

Ray G.
10-14-2007, 05:07 PM
If you had social pressure as a child to eat your dog or cat, do you think that would've driven you to try it? I'm assuming you had a dog or a cat of some kind as a kid.

If 80% of people saw cats and dogs as food, we'd be living in a very different world. I think you're seeing this through your vegan blinders.

I'm just saying that for kids who knew nothing but vegetarianism since childhood due to their parents' convictions, they're likely going to be faced with hard new choices as they enter the rest of the world, such as college.

Ben
10-14-2007, 05:07 PM
I know a few vegetarians that started eating meat again, for a variety of reasons. It's not uncommon.And I barely know any that have done that, so I say it IS uncommon! Yay anecdotes!

Ben
10-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Don't they call that noodles?You can make broth using vegetable stock and it tastes like chicken broth. In fact, a lot of the chicken broth you buy in the stores is not really chicken broth. And if you really need hunks of chewiness in the soup, there are things you can put in there that'll chew like chicken.

Albert
10-14-2007, 05:10 PM
You can make broth using vegetable stock and it tastes like chicken broth. In fact, a lot of the chicken broth you buy in the stores is not really chicken broth. And if you really need hunks of chewiness in the soup, there are things you can put in there that'll chew like chicken.

And there are almost no hunks of things in your average can of chicken noodle soup, from what I remember.

WillieLee
You can make broth using vegetable stock and it tastes like chicken broth. In fact, a lot of the chicken broth you buy in the stores is not really chicken broth. And if you really need hunks of chewiness in the soup, there are things you can put in there that'll chew like chicken.

But what if you've never tried chicken? How do you know it's not a pale imitation?

Taki Soma
after eating meat again, I still hate bacon.

Ben
10-14-2007, 05:12 PM
But what if you've never tried chicken? How do you know it's not a pale imitation?For a rational person that cares about the environment, all the many other reasons not to each chicken probably outweigh the possibility that real chicken tastes slightly better (or just different) than the "fake" stuff.

Albert
10-14-2007, 05:12 PM
But what if you've never tried chicken? How do you know it's not a pale imitation?

What if you've never tasted imitation chicken? How do you know that you wouldn't like that a lot more?

The only reasonable solution is that everyone should eat everything all the time.

Ben
10-14-2007, 05:14 PM
What if you've never tasted imitation chicken? How do you know that you wouldn't like that a lot more?

The only reasonable solution is that everyone should eat everything all the time.I won't eat generic Cap'n Crunch. I'm a hypocrite!

WillieLee
10-14-2007, 05:16 PM
For a rational person that cares about the environment, all the many other reasons not to each chicken probably outweigh the possibility that real chicken tastes slightly better (or just different) than the "fake" stuff.

So judgemental.

Shane W
10-14-2007, 05:17 PM
After being vegetarian for the better part of 6 months, I can tell you that I no longer "crave" meat, and my bloodwork has come in at the healthiest it's been in years. Between the money I'm saving and the health benefits, I see no reason to eat meat again.

Albert
10-14-2007, 05:17 PM
I won't eat generic Cap'n Crunch. I'm a hypocrite!

http://static.flickr.com/53/147394025_2897d5a28e.jpg

Shane W
10-14-2007, 05:18 PM
I won't eat generic Cap'n Crunch. I'm a hypocrite!

Cap'n Cruch with beef berries is the ultimate.

Taki Soma
10-14-2007, 05:18 PM
you know even though I do eat meat now, I still have a lot of imitation meats in my freezer... like meatless meatballs and crumbled (no)beef and shit. The imitations sit way better with me than those over-processed meats.

Smokinblues
10-14-2007, 05:19 PM
So judgemental.
that's part of being vegitarian.

Ben
10-14-2007, 05:19 PM
So judgemental.Just like I would judge someone who dumps pollution into the ocean because it "feels good." If they don't care about the environment, then that's fine. But if they claim to care, they're either ignorant or irrational.

Ben
10-14-2007, 05:20 PM
that's part of being vegitarian.That's practically the battle cry of those who don't understand the message. Just attack the messenger for being "judgmental" without even understanding what the judgment is for.

WillieLee
10-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Just like I would judge someone who dumps pollution into the ocean because it "feels good." If they don't care about the environment, then that's fine. But if they claim to care, they're either ignorant or irrational.

What about people that consume electricity in order to participate in social groups?

Albert
10-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Just like I would judge someone who dumps pollution into the ocean because it "feels good."

I admit I have not been recycling
In fact, I've been openly encouraging people to be wasteful.
I often go to other people's recycling bins
and throw them into the regular trash.

I own thirty stretch-limousine Hummers
And I keep them all running, even when I am sleeping.
And I always dump my unused paint
directly into the ocean.

And I'm truly sorry, because --

Earth, you're a wonderful, wonderful planet!
Earth, you're a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful planet!
I'm gonna be a better boyfriend to you!

I thought car pools were for pussies
And sustainable energy was for jerk-offs.
Organics farmers can eat my synthetic panties
And baby seals can go straight to hell.

Now, as for "An Inconvenient Truth"
I thought that that was a veritable movie suck fest.
And a much more representative look at our planet
Can be seen in the John Travolta masterpiece, "Battlefield Earth."

"Battlefield Earth", you're a wonderful, wonderful movie
And I think Iím going to rent you tonight
Oh, tonight! Tonight! Ohhh, tonight! Címon, tonight! Tonight!"

Look, you want to fix this? Here's what we do, okay? I want everyone -- you in the audience, and the over 200 million people watching at home! You go out, and rent "Battlefield Earth" toooo-ni-i-i-ight! Tonight! And then, throw it into the trash! And when all the landfills all over the world are overflowing with copies of "Battlefield Earth", somebody, somewhere, will be forced to do something about it! See, we've done it! The world is healed! But don't do it for me. Do it for:

With the world's help, we will save you tonight!

MAK15
10-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Spicy beef on a kabob with peppers, tomatoes and onions.

Ben
10-14-2007, 05:26 PM
What about people that consume electricity in order to participate in social groups?In terms of energy consumption, that's orders of magnitude different.

Besides, no one's saying don't have fun. But when you have the choice between two nearly identical things and you choose the one that causes immense damage to the environment, there's something funny going on (esp. if you claim to care).

So back to your question, the real issues are (1) what would be going on in that place if you weren't joining in with the group (I assume you were referring to me using my computer to be on the board, but it could refer to people using electricity in some other context) and (2) what would one be doing if they weren't being social? What's the net energy consumption for each choice. My computer uses very little electricity. Telling it to surf the internet causes it to consume a slight amount more. If I wasn't in here, I'd be in my living room with the TV on or the lamp on reading.

WillieLee
10-14-2007, 05:29 PM
In terms of energy consumption, that's orders of magnitude different.

Besides, no one's saying don't have fun. But when you have the choice between two nearly identical things and you choose the one that causes immense damage to the environment, there's something funny going on (esp. if you claim to care).

So back to your question, the real issues are (1) what would be going on in that place if you weren't joining in with the group (I assume you were referring to me using my computer to be on the board, but it could refer to people using electricity in some other context) and (2) what would one be doing if they weren't being social? What's the net energy consumption for each choice. My computer uses very little electricity. Telling it to surf the internet causes it to consume a slight amount more. If I wasn't in here, I'd be in my living room with the TV on or the lamp on reading.

If you cared about the environment you would choose actions that cause no damage.

moonspider
10-14-2007, 05:34 PM
dress up a cow in sexy clothing and get that vegetarian reeeeeeeealy drunk

Ben
10-14-2007, 05:36 PM
If you cared about the environment you would choose actions that cause no damage.You still have to live, and you can't be alive without doing some damage. Once I actually get a real job and have some money, I plan on doing as much as possible. I can't wait to get solar panels on my roof.

You're missing the point, though. I'm talking about when you have the choice between two nearly identical options. You're asking me to choose between having lights on and having no lights on - eating and not eating. Those are not close to the same. But asking a dish with meat vs. one without is a pretty close choice. Include the fact that the difference in environmental damage between those choices are higher than the difference between using the internet or leaving my computer on without using the internet.

xyzzy
10-14-2007, 05:43 PM
For a rational person that cares about the environment, all the many other reasons not to each chicken probably outweigh the possibility that real chicken tastes slightly better (or just different) than the "fake" stuff.

I care in a very superficial way.

I do what I can as long it means a minimum of sacrifice on my part.

NickT
10-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Hannibal Lector?

WillieLee
10-14-2007, 05:55 PM
You still have to live, and you can't be alive without doing some damage. Once I actually get a real job and have some money, I plan on doing as much as possible. I can't wait to get solar panels on my roof.

You're missing the point, though. I'm talking about when you have the choice between two nearly identical options. You're asking me to choose between having lights on and having no lights on - eating and not eating. Those are not close to the same. But asking a dish with meat vs. one without is a pretty close choice. Include the fact that the difference in environmental damage between those choices are higher than the difference between using the internet or leaving my computer on without using the internet.

The only difference is that you're rationalizing your harmful actions while condemning others.

silverboy
10-14-2007, 06:03 PM
I'm not militant about being a vegetarian in relation to pushing my diet on others. I don't condemn anyone or chastise them for eating meat. It's my own personal disdain for the treatment of animals in processing plants/farms and my own qualms about eating a once living animal that convinces me to not ingest meat, poultry or sea food. If you do, more power to you.

I've yet to meet a person who didn't eat meat, poultry and seafood simply because they don't like the taste. I've known people who didn't eat poultry. I've known people who didn't eat meat. I've known people who didn't eat seafood, but never a combination of the three on mere taste alone.

As I've always understood it, being a vegetarian is a conscious choice based on a desire to avoid eating a once living animal. Vegetarianism is an ideological choice based on a philosophical concept. Not eating meat, poultry and seafood because of taste is nothing more than an issue of diet. Again, that's how I always understood it.

Regardless, I'm not trying to reprimand you Silverboy, but thinking you can change a person's commitment to not eat formerly-living animals because something tastes good is silly. Yes, there are vegetarians who eventually wain themselves back to meat, but that's a commentary on their devotion/commitment and not necessarily a reflection of them being swayed by a hearty dish.

Well, you're wrong. There are many people who just don't like the taste of meat, no conscious or morals behind it. Not everybody thinks the same way you do.

Have you read anything I said? It was just a fun question, a topic of discussion. I don't want nor do I believe I can change anybody's food habit. Lighten up.

silverboy
10-14-2007, 06:07 PM
The levels of self-righteousness going on in this thread is just unreal.

Masculine Todd
10-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Well, you're wrong. There are many people who just don't like the taste of meat, no conscious or morals behind it. Not everybody thinks the same way you do.

I don't doubt there are people who eat neither meat, poultry or seafood out of taste. However, I associate vegetarianism with the ideological movement for animals. This just seems like a matter of diet and taste. I explained it a few posts ago. That's how I always understood vegetarianism.

Have you read anything I said? It was just a fun question, a topic of discussion. I don't want nor do I believe I can change anybodies food habit. Lighten up.

I'm not personally angered or offended. I never said I was. I just found the premise silly. Sounds like what you were going for. Where's the dilemma here?

Corwin: Bear Fighter
10-14-2007, 07:38 PM
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3065739/2/istockphoto_3065739_bullet_45_caliber.jpg

Ashwin Pande
10-14-2007, 07:55 PM
You don't think that a child of a vegetarian will have significant social pressure on him to try meat?

I know I try and make them feel stupid for not trying meat.

Not the ones who don't do it by choice though... they've made a choice and I respect that.. I make fun of the ones who don't do it because of religious bullshit because I feel they never really made a choice... their parents kind of forced their own beliefs on them and I always felt restricting yourself from trying anything new because of fear of backlash from a so-called loving god was weak.

But then I'm kind of a dick.

andeparks
10-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Beef stroganoff.

Anj

King of Mars
10-14-2007, 08:13 PM

Have you read anything I said? It was just a fun question, a topic of discussion. I don't want nor do I believe I can change anybody's food habit. Lighten up.I can't believe there's anyone out there who doesn't like ANY type of meat, no matter how it's prepared. Fine if it's a moral choice, or perhaps just the fact that you can't get past the notion that you're eating another living thing...but the choice to become a vegetarian is never based on taste alone.

Albert
10-14-2007, 08:15 PM
I can't believe there's anyone out there who doesn't like ANY type of meat, no matter how it's prepared. Fine if it's a moral choice, or perhaps just the fact that you can't get past the notion that you're eating another living thing...but the choice to become a vegetarian is never based on taste alone.

Don't you know anyone who doesn't like any vegetables?

King of Mars
10-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Don't you know anyone who doesn't like any vegetables?Sure, but they're all neurotic, "everything is nasty" sort of people who only seem to enjoy, like, five very specific types of food.

silverboy
10-14-2007, 08:23 PM
I can't believe there's anyone out there who doesn't like ANY type of meat, no matter how it's prepared. Fine if it's a moral choice, or perhaps just the fact that you can't get past the notion that you're eating another living thing...but the choice to become a vegetarian is never based on taste alone.

You're speaking for the millions of vegetarians in the world? You can't say that.

Albert
10-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Sure, but they're all neurotic, "everything is nasty" sort of people who only seem to enjoy, like, five very specific types of food.

So how can you not consider the possibility that there are people that just don't like any type of meat?

King of Mars
10-14-2007, 08:31 PM
You're speaking for the millions of vegetarians in the world? You can't say that.Sure I can. There are, like, four million types of meat in the world and six gazillion ways to prepare them. No one who is completely separated from the moral/mental issues that surround eating meat is going to find every type of meat abhorrent.

Afny
10-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Sure I can. There are, like, four million types of meat in the world and six gazillion ways to prepare them. No one who is completely separated from the moral/mental issues that surround eating meat is going to find every type of meat abhorrent.

I do. Unless you are speaking from a taste perspective? I really haven't been keeping up with this argument.

silverboy
10-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Sure I can. There are, like, four million types of meat in the world and six gazillion ways to prepare them. No one who is completely separated from the moral/mental issues that surround eating meat is going to find every type of meat abhorrent.

You're being ridiculous. I've met people--hell, I've dated girls--who just don't like to eat meat. Nothing moral about it. Just didn't like it. You can't speak for every person on the planet.

King of Mars
10-14-2007, 08:33 PM
So how can you not consider the possibility that there are people that just don't like any type of meat?I'm sure there are...but that dislike is tied to larger mental/moral issues. It's not simply a matter of taste for them.

Albert
10-14-2007, 08:35 PM
I'm sure there are...but that dislike is tied to larger mental/moral issues. It's not simply a matter of taste for them.

So it is possible for someone to not like all vegetables simple as a matter of taste, but not possible for someone to not like all meat as a matter of taste?

King of Mars
10-14-2007, 08:39 PM
You're being ridiculous. I've met people--hell, I've dated girls--who just don't like to eat meat. Nothing moral about it. Just didn't like it.I'd wager that, in all of those cases, there was some sort of unspoken aversion to eating living things that prevented them from enjoying meat. From a biological standpoint, we're built to enjoy that shit. It's only some sort of mental or physical "error" (for lack of a better term) that turns us off to it.

King of Mars
10-14-2007, 08:42 PM
So it is possible for someone to not like all vegetables simple as a matter of taste, but not possible for someone to not like all meat as a matter of taste?That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that, in both cases, the dislike arises from "mental" issues. It's not just a matter of taste, it's a matter of perception.

Boris the Blade
10-14-2007, 08:52 PM
You have one thread to convince Ray to eat cock.

And by that, I mean male game hen.

King of Mars
10-14-2007, 09:10 PM

And by that, I mean male game hen.Heh. I was thinking about starting a "You have one vagina to convince a gay man that pussy is good..." thread, but I didn't think it was worth the ban that would inevitably follow.

Corwin: Bear Fighter
10-14-2007, 10:49 PM

And by that, I mean male game hen.

See, the funnier direction to take with this would be "to convince Ray to seek sexual relations with a legal adult."

Christian Beranek
10-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Double-double from IN-N-OUT burger.

Shepherd
10-14-2007, 11:07 PM
See, the funnier direction to take with this would be "to convince Ray to seek sexual relations with a legal adult."

Indeed it would, since the cock one wouldn't take a lot. Ray's door swings both ways.

R

DAVE
10-15-2007, 08:17 AM
I am a vegetarian, and I know that meat tastes good. I just chose not to eat it.

Ray G.
10-15-2007, 08:18 AM

Still trolling away, eh, Corwin? :roll:

Ryudo
10-15-2007, 08:19 AM
Filet mignon with the bacon wrapped around it, with a baked potato and salad.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Shane W
10-15-2007, 08:21 AM
I am a vegetarian, and I know that meat tastes good. I just chose not to eat it.:mistrust:

Where do you plant your fish?

dasNdanger
10-15-2007, 08:25 AM
BACON!!!! Bacon, bacon, bacon!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/dasNdanger/bacon.jpg

(I swear, it is the only meat - when done right - that I'd really miss if I went vegetarian...)

das

Ben
10-15-2007, 08:28 AM
Double-double from IN-N-OUT burger.
BACON!!!! Bacon, bacon, bacon!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/dasNdanger/bacon.jpg

(I swear, it is the only meat - when done right - that I'd really miss if I went vegetarian...)

dasVegetarians are probably not going to be tempted by fatty, greasy, disgusting crap like that. It's kind of like how whole milk tastes disgusting after you switch to 1% or skim for a few weeks.

Buk Was Right
10-15-2007, 08:32 AM

I have a bottle of it in my fridge and I bought a bottle for my dad the Christmas after our trip to Ireland. I forget where I found it, but I don't think it was at a proper grocery store...

dasNdanger
10-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Vegetarians are probably not going to be tempted by fatty, greasy, disgusting crap like that. It's kind of like how whole milk tastes disgusting after you switch to 1% or skim for a few weeks.

I disagree. Bacon rules supreme...and the way I do it - crispy, but not burnt, with all the excess grease blotted away...it's just soooo damn good, and since most of the fat's been cooked away, it's also not that 'fatty'.

Also...I tried low fat and skim milk once...well, for a while when I was a kid and mom was dieting...and then later...and OH MY GOD!! WHO CAN DRINK THAT CRAP??!

(sorry - I don't drink a lot of milk, but when I do, it's gotta be whole. The low fat and skim shit is just TOO sweet for me! :sick: )

So...anyways....one taste of bacon done right, and it could change a vegetarian forever. And to be fair, perhaps it's best if that taste is accompanied by a nice, Cobb salad....just to ease 'em into the experience....

das

Albert
10-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Vegetarians are probably not going to be tempted by fatty, greasy, disgusting crap like that. It's kind of like how whole milk tastes disgusting after you switch to 1% or skim for a few weeks.

Who drinks whole milk to begin with? Were you raised on a dairy farm?

Ben
10-15-2007, 08:42 AM
I disagree. Bacon rules supreme...and the way I do it - crispy, but not burnt, with all the excess grease blotted away...it's just soooo damn good, and since most of the fat's been cooked away, it's also not that 'fatty'.

Also...I tried low fat and skim milk once...well, for a while when I was a kid and mom was dieting...and then later...and OH MY GOD!! WHO CAN DRINK THAT CRAP??!

(sorry - I don't drink a lot of milk, but when I do, it's gotta be whole. The low fat and skim shit is just TOO sweet for me! :sick: )

So...anyways....one taste of bacon done right, and it could change a vegetarian forever. And to be fair, perhaps it's best if that taste is accompanied by a nice, Cobb salad....just to ease 'em into the experience....

dasI doubt it. Bacon is almost all fat. Pure fat, especially animal fat (besides being ridiculously unhealthy) tastes really disgusting when you've been eating well for a while.

Ben
Who drinks whole milk to begin with? Were you raised on a dairy farm?http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showpost.php?p=3741089&postcount=174

And they still sell lots of whole milk, so someone's drinking it.

Albert
Oh wait...

Albert
10-15-2007, 08:43 AM
http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showpost.php?p=3741089&postcount=174

And they still sell lots of whole milk, so someone's drinking it.

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showpost.php?p=3741098&postcount=178

Ben
10-15-2007, 08:45 AM
http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showpost.php?p=3741098&postcount=178
I beat you to it.

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showpost.php?p=3741097&postcount=177

dasNdanger
10-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Who drinks whole milk to begin with? Were you raised on a dairy farm?

Well, in today's terms, whole milk is the stuff that's like 3-4% fat. I find skim milk and low fat milk too sweet because, though the milk has the same amounts of sugars, the reduced fat makes them taste so much sweeter. Ugh. Gimme 1-2% more fat, and the stuff is at least palatable.

das

Albert
10-15-2007, 08:46 AM
I beat you to it.

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showpost.php?p=3741097&postcount=177

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=thwack

dasNdanger
10-15-2007, 08:48 AM
Yes. I drink whole milk. And I eat raw meat. AND I drink beer. Do the bloody math.

das

Ben
10-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Yes. I drink whole milk. And I eat raw meat. AND I drink beer. Do the bloody math.

dasπ ?

Albert
10-15-2007, 08:51 AM

das

Raw meat? Like sushi? Or like you kill animals with your bare hands and tear the flesh from their carcasses with your mouth?

dasNdanger
10-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Raw meat? Like sushi? Or like you kill animals with your bare hands and tear the flesh from their carcasses with your mouth?

Come over here, and find out.... :twisted:

das

Rosemary's Baby
10-15-2007, 08:57 AM

das

I don't know. Bacon can be pretty sick if it isn't of the highest quality.

And whole milk is gross.

dasNdanger
10-15-2007, 08:59 AM

And whole milk is gross.

Sheesh. Buncha lightweights around here.....

das

Ben
10-15-2007, 08:59 AM

And whole milk is gross.What about animals killed with your bare hands and flesh torn from their carcasses with your mouth?

Rosemary's Baby
10-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Sheesh. Buncha lightweights around here.....

das

Not really. I just don't eat disgusting things like fatty bacon or slippery whole milk.

Albert
10-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Come over here, and find out.... :twisted:

das

Are you trying to seduce me, Mrs. dasNdanger?

Rosemary's Baby
10-15-2007, 09:01 AM
What about animals killed with your bare hands and flesh torn from their carcasses with your mouth?

I've ruined so many shirts that way. I stopped a while back.

dasNdanger
10-15-2007, 09:02 AM
Are you trying to seduce me, Mrs. dasNdanger?

Nah. I'm just hungry....

das

Jef UK
10-15-2007, 09:03 AM

What? I've known several people who stopped eating meat because of how their body reacted to it well before they took any ethical stance on the matter. As such, they think meat is gross. Your absolutes are silly.

Ray G.
10-15-2007, 09:15 AM
I agree with Ben that a Bacon Cheeseburger is possibly the worst way to introduce an ex- vegetarian to meat. It would make them sick. Even a great steak might not be the best, because it would be overload. My suggestion of an Oriental noodle soup of some kind would probably be the best way to not hit them with total shock. Same for a stew of some kind.

Ben
10-15-2007, 09:18 AM
I agree with Ben that a Bacon Cheeseburger is possibly the worst way to introduce an ex- vegetarian to meat. It would make them sick. Even a great steak might not be the best, because it would be overload. My suggestion of an Oriental noodle soup of some kind would probably be the best way to not hit them with total shock. Same for a stew of some kind.See, here's the problem. A crazy super-meat meal would be overload and would taste disgusting to a vegetarian. But something subtle like soup wouldn't work either because you can get those subtle tastes using non-meat foods.

The only way this would ever work if someone was just a really shitty vegetarian that just wasn't that into it and really liked the taste of animal fat.

Ray G.
10-15-2007, 09:22 AM
See, here's the problem. A crazy super-meat meal would be overload and would taste disgusting to a vegetarian. But something subtle like soup wouldn't work either because you can get those subtle tastes using non-meat foods.

The only way this would ever work if someone was just a really shitty vegetarian that just wasn't that into it and really liked the taste of animal fat.

There is no veggie protein alive that can simulate the taste of a good scotch broth stew. :D

Coincidentally, my friend(the one who was convinced to become vegetarian by his girlfriend and then went off it after they broke up), sometimes called himself the worst vegetarian ever. I don't know what he meant by that, but I can only assume he huffed bacon grease on the sly.

Albert
10-15-2007, 09:25 AM
I'm always creeped out by the vegetarians that secretly (or openly) fantasize about eating meat. I've known a couple who clearly would go back to eating meat if they "could." They also usually don't like vegetables, which is bizarre.

DAVE
10-15-2007, 09:32 AM
:mistrust:

Where do you plant your fish?

I plant your mom in the fish.

Albert
10-15-2007, 09:34 AM

http://www.restaurantcassis.com/images/nice_map.gif

Forrest
10-15-2007, 09:39 AM
I was vegetarian for four years but my wife got me off the train with sushi, In-n-Out burger and sex. (Not all at the same time.)

Albert
10-15-2007, 09:42 AM
I was vegetarian for four years but my wife got me off the train with sushi, In-n-Out burger and sex. (Not all at the same time.)

Sex with meat?

Ben
10-15-2007, 09:43 AM
I was vegetarian for four years but my wife got me off the train with sushi, In-n-Out burger and sex. (Not all at the same time.)That reminds me of those episodes of the Drew Carey show when he got that girlfriend who started getting fatter and fatter with each episode because he got her to pig out so much.

dasNdanger
10-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Sex with meat?

Sure as hell beats sex with a cucumber (OR so I've heard from nurses who must extract those slippery things from various orifices..).

das

Buk Was Right
10-15-2007, 09:46 AM
That reminds me of those episodes of the Drew Carey show when he got that girlfriend who started getting fatter and fatter with each episode because he got her to pig out so much.

Was she the one played by the woman who was on Grey's Anatomy and just got her own spin-off show?

Ben
10-15-2007, 09:47 AM
Was she the one played by the woman who was on Grey's Anatomy and just got her own spin-off show?Yes

Buk Was Right
10-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Yes

So sad with myself that I know that...

Ben
So sad with myself that I know that...I'm happy for you.

HomerGator
Sex with meat?

Why not? It worked in Preacher...

Buk Was Right
10-15-2007, 09:49 AM
Why not? It worked in Preacher...

Work the shaft!

Pluck the hair!

SAY THE NAME!

HomerGator
10-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Work the shaft!

Pluck the hair!

SAY THE NAME!

Odin Quincanon is one of the sickest villains ever.

King of Mars
10-15-2007, 10:26 AM
What? I've known several people who stopped eating meat because of how their body reacted to it well before they took any ethical stance on the matter. As such, they think meat is gross. Your absolutes are silly.Your kneejerk defensiveness is silly. I'm not talking about people who have some sort of physical aversion to meat. Obviously, there can be biological reasons why a person might not like it. However, that's not the case with most of the people who just "don't like meat". Whether they know it or not, their aversion to eating meat is very much tied to negative thoughts surrounding the act of eating another living thing.

Look, I'm not anti-vegetarian. I don't care what people eat. I just don't understand why some people try to pretend it's simply a matter of taste when it's clearly not.

Shane W
10-15-2007, 10:27 AM

My mom's dead.. Or Drunk.

Mister Mets
10-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Quiznos Prime Rib sandwich

I'll explain that dinner meals can be better.

adam_warlock_2099
10-15-2007, 11:01 AM
I'm always creeped out by the vegetarians that secretly (or openly) fantasize about eating meat. I've known a couple who clearly would go back to eating meat if they "could." They also usually don't like vegetables, which is bizarre.

I think it's instinct. Most people have had meat in their childhood before they make the choice to be vegetarian, unless of course their parents where vegetarians from birth.

Like sex, if you choose celibecy, it doesn't make the cravings magically stop just because decided to be abstinant for whatever reason. But the stronger your reason for making such a decision, usually dictates how long you can keep that decision.

So, "choosing" to be a vegetarian for a girlfriend/wife/friend/parent, whatever isn't going to last very long. Like choosing to end an addiction. If the resolve isn't there, it isn't going to last.

Marc Lombardi
10-15-2007, 11:07 AM
The chili that my wife made for me last week. Among all of the ingredients it contained 1.3 lbs of filet mignon and 5 lbs of ground sirloin. Plus all the peppers and beans and crushed tomatoes. Oh...and 6 ounces of Guinness.

Ben
10-15-2007, 11:19 AM
I think it's instinct. Most people have had meat in their childhood before they make the choice to be vegetarian, unless of course their parents where vegetarians from birth.That's not what an instinct is. You're describing a learned craving.

Like sex, if you choose celibecy, it doesn't make the cravings magically stop just because decided to be abstinant for whatever reason. But the stronger your reason for making such a decision, usually dictates how long you can keep that decision.

So, "choosing" to be a vegetarian for a girlfriend/wife/friend/parent, whatever isn't going to last very long. Like choosing to end an addiction. If the resolve isn't there, it isn't going to last.A craving for sex, on the other hand, usually IS instinctual. So it's going to be much harder to stop those cravings. For certain types of food, though, the cravings can go away when you stop eating them. Most vegetarians I've talked to find that their craving for meat completely disappears once you stop eating it. I was very skeptical of this, and it's one of the reasons I gave vegetarianism a try in the first place. Besides the loss of cravings, you also notice that meat isn't really where the taste comes from. When you crave a meat dish, you're usually craving the taste of the sauce or the spices or the char, etc. All you're missing in that case is meat texture, and there's plenty of texture substitutes.

You're right about changing for your own reasons and not for someone else. I get teased a lot because I didn't make this switch until I started dating a vegan. And that's fine, it's an easy joke. I can understand that. But for myself, I was very careful about when I made any changes and why I was making them. I didn't do it just to please her. We broke up over my non-veganness. When we got back together, it wasn't because I stopped eating meat. I actually made it clear that I wasn't ready to make that change yet and that if I changed just for her, it wouldn't be sincere and probably wouldn't last. I took my time with it, did some research, and decided to give it a try myself in slow steps, knocking one food category out after another. I made sure to make these changes for myself and, as you can see by how obnoxious I can be about this subject, I do feel like I've changed things for myself. Have a better relationship with the gf is more the icing (made without animal shortening or eggs) on the cake .

AAlgar
10-15-2007, 11:20 AM
That's not what an instinct is. You're describing a learned craving.

A craving for sex, on the other hand, usually IS instinctual. So it's going to be much harder to stop those cravings. For certain types of food, though, the cravings can go away when you stop eating them. Most vegetarians I've talked to find that their craving for meat completely disappears once you stop eating it. I was very skeptical of this, and it's one of the reasons I gave vegetarianism a try in the first place. Besides the loss of cravings, you also notice that meat isn't really where the taste comes from. When you crave a meat dish, you're usually craving the taste of the sauce or the spices or the char, etc. All you're missing in that case is meat texture, and there's plenty of texture substitutes.

You're right about changing for your own reasons and not for someone else. I get teased a lot because I didn't make this switch until I started dating a vegan. And that's fine, it's an easy joke. I can understand that. But for myself, I was very careful about when I made any changes and why I was making them. I didn't do it just to please her. We broke up over my non-veganness. When we got back together, it wasn't because I stopped eating meat. I actually made it clear that I wasn't ready to make that change yet and that if I changed just for her, it wouldn't be sincere and probably wouldn't last. I took my time with it, did some research, and decided to give it a try myself in slow steps, knocking one food category out after another. I made sure to make these changes for myself and, as you can see by how obnoxious I can be about this subject, I do feel like I've changed things for myself. Have a better relationship with the gf is more the icing (made without animal shortening or eggs) on the cake .

Man, you're right... EVERYTHING you say is comedic! :rofl:!

Beazly
10-15-2007, 11:25 AM
http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=130056

Ben
10-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Man, you're right... EVERYTHING you say is comedic! :rofl:!:rogue:

Albert
10-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Man, you're right... EVERYTHING you say is comedic! :rofl:!

I want to give this post five stars. Five MILLION!

Blake Sims
10-15-2007, 01:00 PM
a fucking rare steak. godamn it's so good.

DAVE
10-15-2007, 01:19 PM

I wouldn't say I fantasize about eating meat (secretly or openly), but I can see something that I enjoyed eating before I gave up meat and remember that I enjoyed and recognize that it looks good, if not good for me.
It's like how I can tell that dude is good looking, but not that I'd fuck him. Maybe fondle a little. I basically stick to fondling meat.
Let's see you find anything to make fun of about those statements!

adam_warlock_2099
10-15-2007, 01:34 PM
That's not what an instinct is. You're describing a learned craving.

Okay, Ill give that based on the fact that Biblically we were not given flesh as food until after the Flood, so no in that case it wouldn't be instinctual. A learned craving I guess could apply, but since meat is so ingrained in the American society, it's maybe somewhere inbetween of instinctual and learned.

A craving for sex, on the other hand, usually IS instinctual. So it's going to be much harder to stop those cravings. For certain types of food, though, the cravings can go away when you stop eating them. Most vegetarians I've talked to find that their craving for meat completely disappears once you stop eating it. I was very skeptical of this, and it's one of the reasons I gave vegetarianism a try in the first place. Besides the loss of cravings, you also notice that meat isn't really where the taste comes from. When you crave a meat dish, you're usually craving the taste of the sauce or the spices or the char, etc. All you're missing in that case is meat texture, and there's plenty of texture substitutes.

I can't really say for sure, as I have never given up meat entirely. I was just making an extrapolation with the comparison of sex. While no one HAS to give up sex, they choose to and so the sexual drive is still there. I just figured as most of us were all raised eating meat, then the same would apply.

Bold: Ohhh so that's why I can still eat at KFC? :)

Didn't know that it was you that was the subject, Ben. Should have read further back. Hope I didn't come off the wrong way.

We all do things for other people, that go against our grain and don't always work out. No one that gives you shit has room, I've failed at things for the wrong reasons as so has everyone else . . . at least you tried.

And when you can both find a medium (which it seems you have) then each person can understand where the other is coming from. I wouldn't have minded if my wife was a vegetarian as long as she didn't teach my children that was the only way to eat . . . and the same for me as a omnivore.

Good luck in making those changes Ben.

Ben
10-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Didn't know that it was you that was the subject, Ben. Should have read further back. Hope I didn't come off the wrong way. No worries. I wasn't the subject, but I thought I could add my own experiences and perspective on the matter. Also, it had just been a while since I posted something wussy and I think Albert and AAlgar wanted a new opportunity to unfairly mock me.

Albert
10-15-2007, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't say I fantasize about eating meat (secretly or openly), but I can see something that I enjoyed eating before I gave up meat and remember that I enjoyed and recognize that it looks good, if not good for me.
It's like how I can tell that dude is good looking, but not that I'd fuck him. Maybe fondle a little. I basically stick to fondling meat.
Let's see you find anything to make fun of about those statements!

No, that make sense. But I've known at least a couple of people who seem to like meat so much and dislike vegetables so much that I really don't know why they stick with being vegetarian, since it seems that they're pretty miserable with it.

And who hasn't fondled some meat in their day? It's kinda a rite of passage where I come from.

ZombieSpeedball
10-15-2007, 02:15 PM

Damn, I am hungry for real food now. My college has horrible food on campus.

Ben
10-15-2007, 02:16 PM
No, that make sense. But I've known at least a couple of people who seem to like meat so much and dislike vegetables so much that I really don't know why they stick with being vegetarian, since it seems that they're pretty miserable with it.

And who hasn't fondled some meat in their day? It's kinda a rite of passage.They probably need someone show them them how vegetables can be exciting or something? It's not like you have to sit and chew on carrots for every meal. And you can eat more than vegetables.

Albert
10-15-2007, 02:16 PM
No worries. I wasn't the subject, but I thought I could add my own experiences and perspective on the matter. Also, it had just been a while since I posted something wussy and I think Albert and AAlgar wanted a new opportunity to unfairly mock me.

Given how much you've mocked him (for being divorced) and how much you mock me (for being more handsome, more charismatic, better liked and funnier than you), I think it was pretty fair.

Albert
10-15-2007, 02:19 PM
They probably need someone show them them how vegetables can be exciting or something? It's not like you have to sit and chew on carrots for every meal. And you can eat more than vegetables.

Of course, but if you DON'T like vegetables at all, I think it's pretty problematic. Those are the people who just eat like, cheese pizza all day. Which is delicious. But still.

Also, the people who like the veggie burgers that look and taste the most like beef instead of the ones that don't really look or taste like beef but are tasty by themselves.

Ben
10-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Of course, but if you DON'T like vegetables at all, I think it's pretty problematic. Those are the people who just eat like, cheese pizza all day. Which is delicious. But still.

Also, the people who like the veggie burgers that look and taste the most like beef instead of the ones that don't really look or taste like beef but are tasty by themselves.
So they don't like putting things that they DO like on the vegetables? Sauces, dips, etc?

AAlgar
10-15-2007, 02:21 PM

I went vegetarian for 6 months as a New Year's resolution. I made it till early summer because that's when the neighbors started firing up their grills. The smell of grilling steak just destroyed my willpower.

And the steak I had for dinner that night didn't taste nearly as good coming back up as it did going down. :sick:

Albert
10-15-2007, 02:23 PM
So they don't like putting things that they DO like on the vegetables? Sauces, dips, etc?

That's right. I mean, they probably would like that slightly more.

Ben
10-15-2007, 02:24 PM
That's right. I mean, they probably would like that slightly more.That's weird. My favorite vegetable is broccoli, but I don't like eating it plain.

AAlgar
10-15-2007, 02:25 PM
That's weird. My favorite vegetable is broccoli, but I don't like eating it plain.

You just keep letting those closely guarded personal details slip, Ben.

Albert
10-15-2007, 02:25 PM
That's weird. My favorite vegetable is broccoli, but I don't like eating it plain.

You're weird. I love eating it plain.

What do you eat it with?

ZombieSpeedball
10-15-2007, 02:26 PM
You're weird. I love eating it plain.

What do you eat it with?

I eat it with steak sauce. Anything that will mask its flavor.

Albert
10-15-2007, 02:29 PM
I eat it with steak sauce. Anything that will mask its flavor.

I like eating it with broccoli-flavored sauce.

ZombieSpeedball
10-15-2007, 02:39 PM
I like eating it with broccoli-flavored sauce.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a115/greygardensstudio/its-tough-cause-nobody-likes-ya.jpg

adam_warlock_2099
10-15-2007, 07:39 PM
No worries. I wasn't the subject, but I thought I could add my own experiences and perspective on the matter. Also, it had just been a while since I posted something wussy and I think Albert and AAlgar wanted a new opportunity to unfairly mock me.

Well I know that it is personally something that I couldn't do . . . I don't think. I have been eating meat so long, I don't know if I could do that. Although I know that I could do vegetarinism more than I could do that vegan thing. I gotta have my cheese and eggs.