PDA

View Full Version : Killer cop shot himself in head...3 times...

RebootedCorpse
10-10-2007, 04:37 AM
Wisconsin gunman shot himself 3 times

Wisconsin police say the off-duty deputy argued with his ex-girlfriend before killing 6 and fleeing to the woods, where he turned a gun on himself.

By P.J. Huffstutter, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
October 10, 2007
CRANDON, WIS. -- The 20-year-old off-duty police officer who gunned down six young people later shot himself three times during a confrontation with law enforcement, once in the right temple, police said Tuesday.

They also released a chilling timeline and grim details of Tyler Peterson pursuing his victims through his former girlfriend's house, killing one girl as she hid in a closet.

This town of nearly 2,000 about 120 miles south of Lake Superior was no closer to understanding why Peterson, a well-liked hometown son known for his friendly demeanor and love of sports, went on a killing spree Sunday.

Those who were killed either were attending or were recent graduates of Crandon High School, Peterson's alma mater.

During a news conference, Wisconsin Atty. Gen. J.B. Van Hollen described what happened around 2:30 a.m. Sunday as the group celebrated a victorious homecoming football game.

Peterson stopped by the two-story duplex home of his ex-girlfriend Jordanne Murray, 18, where she was eating pizza and watching movies with friends. The house is about a block from the town's police station.

Peterson accused her of dating someone else. The pair argued. Peterson left, but minutes later he broke down the door carrying a police-issued AR-15 rifle.

"He didn't speak. He simply opened fire," Van Hollen said.

In the chaos that followed, Peterson shot the first three victims -- Aaron Smith and Bradley Schultz, both 20, and Lindsey Stahl, 14 -- in the living room as they sat on the couch or stood in front of it.

Murray was killed in the kitchen. Katrina McCorkle, 17, had run into a bedroom. She was killed in front of a closet where Lianna Thomas, also 17, was hiding. Peterson then shot Thomas.

Returning to the kitchen, Peterson shot Charles Neitzel, 21, in the leg. Neitzel fell, then struggled to stand while pleading for his friend to stop. Peterson shot him two more times, Van Hollen said. Neitzel lay still. He was listed in serious condition at St. Joseph's Hospital in Marshfield.

Peterson left the residence. Outside, he fired at a Crandon police officer responding to the gunshots and then fled, driving aimlessly and calling in false reports about his location.

He eventually stopped at a friend's home in the woods of Argonne, about 7 miles to the north.

In conversations with friends and law enforcement, he confessed to the crimes but refused to surrender to police, who had surrounded the cabin.

Peterson died in those woods.

Peterson was shot four times: He was struck in his left bicep by a bullet from a long-range, high-powered rifle. The other three shots were apparently self-inflicted. Two of those gunshot wounds entered under his chin; the fatal third, at the right side of his head. All three appear to have come from Peterson's .40-caliber Glock pistol.

As investigators perform an autopsy on Peterson and as nearby communities hold candlelight vigils for the victims, many residents here were reluctant to talk.

Some fled from television camera crews or begged reporters to leave town and let them grieve privately. Others criticized the Police Department for not requiring psychological tests of prospective officers.

"He was so young, too young, to do the job," said Kendal Maertz, 50, who was a member of the town's volunteer fire department for 18 years. "I hate watching the news now. It's like a horror movie, only we're the cast."

Still, the chance to see evidence from that night drew Maertz and dozens of other residents to the Forest County sheriff's office Tuesday.

In the parking lot, officials displayed police Officer Greg Carter's vehicle. Carter, 21, joined the police force at the same time as Peterson.

The mourners slowly walked around the silver Ford Crown Victoria, snapping pictures of the three bullet holes in the driver's side windshield with their cellphone cameras.

Today, students in this rural community will return to classes. The school district's staff includes two parents and a grandparent of the victims, according to officials.

"I'm torn about going back," said Malora Walentowski, 16, who worked with Stahl and Murray at a restaurant. "I can't wait to see everyone. And I can't imagine how sad everyone's going to be. We all want to talk about it -- and we don't."

p.j.huffstutter@latimes.com

MAK15
10-10-2007, 04:41 AM
this shit it seriously messed up.

nihilance
10-10-2007, 05:01 AM
If at first you don't succeed...

Seriously though...I hate this murder/suicide bullshit. Why can't these fucks just kill themselves and leave the innocents alone.

dEnny!
10-10-2007, 05:15 AM
I'm questioning whether a 20 year old should be a police officer. It just seems that is still a time period of growth, maturity...where events like a girlfriend breaking up with you is magnified, blown out of proportion, end of the world...it's not handled in an adult manner. I just don't think giving these guys guns is the best idea, but this could happen at any age.

It's sad that he actually felt this was the best decision to make and that 6 others had to pay the price.

silverboy
10-10-2007, 05:27 AM
Man, there's a lot of contradictory details coming out about this story.

silverboy
10-10-2007, 05:28 AM
I'm questioning whether a 20 year old should be a police officer.

You and everyone else. I didn't even think it was possible. It definitely doesn't seem like it should be.

nihilance
10-10-2007, 05:39 AM
I'm questioning whether a 20 year old should be a police officer. It just seems that is still a time period of growth, maturity...where events like a girlfriend breaking up with you is magnified, blown out of proportion, end of the world...it's not handled in an adult manner. I just don't think giving these guys guns is the best idea, but this could happen at any age.

But it's okay to send thousands of kids in their late-teens/early twenties into another country armed to the teeth to represent our country in "peace keeping" efforts?

I'm not saying you are wrong.

dEnny!
10-10-2007, 05:46 AM
But it's okay to send thousands of kids in their late-teens/early twenties into another country armed to the teeth to represent our country in "peace keeping" efforts?

Please keep your political views of Iraq out of this thread.

dEnny!
10-10-2007, 05:48 AM
You and everyone else. I didn't even think it was possible. It definitely doesn't seem like it should be.

20 seems very young. I wouldn't have thought you'd finished Academy and your training for at least 4 years, not that 22 makes that big a difference.

It's great you know what you want to do young in life, but you have a responsibility and a duty when you put on that badge.

silverboy
10-10-2007, 05:52 AM
20 seems very young. I wouldn't have thought you'd finished Academy and your training for at least 4 years, not that 22 makes that big a difference.

It's great you know what you want to do young in life, but you have a responsibility and a duty when you put on that badge.

I'm 22, and I don't think I should be a cop. My friends either. But, then again, I guess being a police officer isn't something you know you can do/are good for until you do it.

nihilance
10-10-2007, 05:52 AM

Oh it wasn't an Iraq statement...more of a military statement. Young guys with more ammo than sense fuck up our reputation in way more places than just Iraq.

dEnny!
10-10-2007, 06:07 AM
Oh it wasn't an Iraq statement...more of a military statement. Young guys with more ammo than sense fuck up our reputation in way more places than just Iraq.

I may be biased, but coming from a military family it seems they receive a LOT of extensive training to prepare them for their career in the military. The military has a different job from a police officer. The military is here to defend, to soldier. While police officers job is to protect and serve and enforce laws. I wonder how equipped this young man was to perform his role as a police officer. I'm not aware of this young man's path to becoming a police officer, what type of education and training he received, but 20 just struck me as young to carry the weight of that responsibility.

RebootedCorpse
10-10-2007, 06:26 AM

Excellent point

WAKKAJAWAKKA
10-10-2007, 06:28 AM

It's sad that he actually felt this was the best decision to make and that 6 others had to pay the price.

Not All 20 Year Old Guys Are Potential Murder/Suiciders.

Wayno.

Khrutch
10-10-2007, 06:41 AM
Very sad situation. It does seem strange that a 20 year old could be a police officer. A person can't even enter my local police academy until they're 21 years old.

dEnny!
10-10-2007, 06:45 AM
Not All 20 Year Old Guys Are Potential Murder/Suiciders.

Wayno.

I never made that implication, I would never say "all" in this situation.

WAKKAJAWAKKA
10-10-2007, 06:54 AM
I never made that implication, I would never say "all" in this situation.

"I'm questioning whether a 20 year old should be a police officer."

That To Me, Is Bullshit. Age Doesn't Count For Dick In Situations Like This.

Wayno.

dEnny!
10-10-2007, 06:59 AM

Wayno.

"Should" probably wasn't the best wording.

I was referring more to the maturity an average 20 year old has developed. I'm not saying ALL 20 year olds are immature, I just know at 20 I wouldn't be able to carry out the duties of a police officer as this man demonstrated he was unable to do as well. I'm not trying to say ALL OR NOTHING, trying to have a discussion and point out that I felt 20 was VERY young to be a police officer. I don't see many 20 year olds being able to carry that type of authority, responsibility, etc. It also seems 2 years from high school to police officer is very quick, but I don't know any 20 year old cops, don't know how many there are.

Gunter
10-10-2007, 07:13 AM

On a small town police force, more often than not they're just happy to have someone to put the uniform on. They also don't have the same expectations as a larger city, as far as duties go.

Jason California
10-10-2007, 07:38 AM
I am thinking that they need a more rigorous psyche check on these guys. I don't think it was being a cop that made him do this. This was not a case of abusing his power. He most likely had it in him all along.

Either way, it is very sad for those families.

/(. . )/
10-10-2007, 07:45 AM

i couldn't take a 20 year old trying to arrest me seriously.

half guard
10-10-2007, 10:35 AM

to be fair i don't think his is an iraq specific complaint. we still have people in kosovo, bosnia, croatia, etc. also, it's not specific to any particular political party.

when i was deployed to bosnia back in the 90s, it was under the order of then-president clinton.

Whip
10-10-2007, 10:53 AM
I thought this guy was offed by a sniper when he was leaving the house? :-?

Amos Moses
10-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Whoa whoa whoa! It took THREE rounds from an AR-15 to take him down?! THREE 5.56? IN THE HEAD!?

What the batshit!?

Jason California
10-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Whoa whoa whoa! It took THREE rounds from an AR-15 to take him down?! THREE 5.56? IN THE HEAD!?

What the batshit!?

No, he did the killing with the ar-15. he took himself out with a hand gun.

Fourthman
10-10-2007, 11:16 AM

What the batshit!?

Read much?

All three appear to have come from Peterson's .40-caliber Glock pistol.

Captain Sensation
10-10-2007, 11:19 AM

thats what i heard too. Then this morning i heard he shot himself.

Generic Poster
10-10-2007, 11:19 AM

I don't see that question as "political." If you don't think 20 year olds should be cops, it's hard to see how you could think 18 year-olds should be soldiers (if you do think that).

Jason California
10-10-2007, 11:20 AM

looks like the sniper only shot him in the leg.

Generic Poster
10-10-2007, 11:21 AM

What the batshit!?

Well, three 10mm/.40 cal pistol rounds. Still suprising, though.

Generic Poster
10-10-2007, 11:21 AM
i couldn't take a 20 year old trying to arrest me seriously.

I see a tazing in your future, bro.

Amos Moses
10-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Well, three 10mm/.40 cal pistol rounds. Still suprising, though.

Oops my bad. Still, surviving two shots to the head, very impressive.

Whip
10-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Every time I read about this, something new comes up that contradicts something from before.

That's never a good sign.

KingMob
10-10-2007, 11:42 AM

Wayno.

or his profession even.

dEnny!
10-10-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't see that question as "political." If you don't think 20 year olds should be cops, it's hard to see how you could think 18 year-olds should be soldiers (if you do think that).

so you're a troublemaker too.

dEnny!
10-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Read much?

In all fairness there were no pictures and this is a comic message board.

Generic Poster
10-10-2007, 12:19 PM
so you're a troublemaker too.

:sad:

adam_warlock_2099
10-10-2007, 12:26 PM

The great responsibilty of having a drink (which is a responsibility, as there are 40 year old assholes that drink and drive too) has to wait to 21? But you'll give a 20 year old a gun and shoulder the responsibilty of the safety of a town/county/city?

dEnny!
10-10-2007, 12:28 PM
The great responsibilty of having a drink (which is a responsibility, as there are 40 year old assholes that drink and drive too) has to wait to 21? But you'll give a 20 year old a gun and shoulder the responsibilty of the safety of a town/county/city?

So you want to give them a drink while I give them a gun and responsibility to protect a town/county/city? Seems a little irresponsible to me. :p

TheTravis!
10-10-2007, 12:29 PM

Why should he? It's an excellent question, and spot on appropriate for this thread.

adam_warlock_2099
10-10-2007, 12:32 PM
So you want to give them a drink while I give them a gun and responsibility to protect a town/county/city? Seems a little irresponsible to me. :p

No, I meant the law forces one to wait for the responsibility to drink legally until they are 21 years old. However, it appears that the responsibilty of being a police officer can be at 20. It seems like the responsibilty of drinking is more important than owning a gun . . . much less with the authority that a police officer has.

silverboy
10-10-2007, 12:33 PM

Being a soldier is less responsibility than being a cop, I would think. More potential harm and duty, less responsibility. A soldier follows orders and does what he's told, a cop has to quickly make decisions and moral decisions based on complex laws and procedures, etc. If a soldier makes a mistake and kills an enemy combatant, people won't think much of it. If a cop makes a mistake and kills someone, it's a big deal.

Generic Poster
10-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Being a soldier is less responsibility than being a cop, I would think. More potential harm and duty, less responsibility. A soldier follows orders and does what he's told, a cop has to quickly make decisions and moral decisions based on complex laws and procedures, etc. If a soldier makes a mistake and kills an enemy combatant, people won't think much of it. If a cop makes a mistake and kills someone, it's a big deal.

Eh? Soldiers in Iraq right now have to constantly make life or death decisions while in a foreign culture and environment. Deciding whether to shoot some old lady who may or may not be a suicide bomber seems like a lot more responsibility than dealing with some drunks.

dEnny!
10-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Why should he? It's an excellent question, and spot on appropriate for this thread.

Keep reading the thread you rabble rouser. (And I thought everyone would pick up that my post was a joke.)

dEnny!
10-10-2007, 12:59 PM
No, I meant the law forces one to wait for the responsibility to drink legally until they are 21 years old. However, it appears that the responsibilty of being a police officer can be at 20. It seems like the responsibilty of drinking is more important than owning a gun . . . much less with the authority that a police officer has.

Sounds to me like you advocate gun toting while drinking!

Garra
10-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Eh? Soldiers in Iraq right now have to constantly make life or death decisions while in a foreign culture and environment. Deciding whether to shoot some old lady who may or may not be a suicide bomber seems like a lot more responsibility than dealing with some drunks.

Key words being "right now".

Not every soldier will see combat or be in such situations. In fact, the majority of men and women who enlist into our countries military will never see any conflict in be in the type of situations your talking about.

But a cop, every single day, could be faced with some nut job who could decide to try and blow a cops brains out for pulling them over.

I think the responsibility is greater in a war time situation for soldiers, but the responsibility and risk, is always constant, on a daily basis if your a cop.

Thats my opinion. I have never been a cop, and never will be, I am an ex airborne ranger though. Thankfully when I served my 4 years I didnt see any action.

Generic Poster
10-10-2007, 01:18 PM
I think the responsibility is greater in a war time situation for soldiers, but the responsibility and risk, is always constant, on a daily basis if your a cop.

Fair enough. I probably agree with that.

Garra
10-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Fair enough. I probably agree with that.

I'm sorry, but this is only page 5.

Your not allowed to agree with anyone at least untill page 23. Untill then your suppose to cuss at me, and tell me what a sorry piece of shit I am, and how I wouldnt know an intelligent thought if it came flying out of my ass.

Please, carry on.

Generic Poster
10-10-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm sorry, but this is only page 5.

Your not allowed to agree with anyone at least untill page 23. Untill then your suppose to cuss at me, and tell me what a sorry piece of shit I am, and how I wouldnt know an intelligent thought if it came flying out of my ass.

Please, carry on.

I only said I probably agree, dumbass! You are teh suxxor.

Better?

Garra
10-10-2007, 01:25 PM
I only said I probably agree, dumbass! You are teh suxxor.

Better?

Much better! That was close, you almost single handidly broke the internet.

I dont know what you were thinking agreeing with someone when a topic was only on page 5!

Amos Moses
10-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Key words being "right now".

Not every soldier will see combat or be in such situations. In fact, the majority of men and women who enlist into our countries military will never see any conflict in be in the type of situations your talking about.

But a cop, every single day, could be faced with some nut job who could decide to try and blow a cops brains out for pulling them over.

Thats my opinion. I have never been a cop, and never will be, I am an ex airborne ranger though. Thankfully when I served my 4 years I didnt see any action.

Here's a curveball, what about MPs?

Garra
10-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Here's a curveball, what about MPs?

Pfft what about em. MPs are evil and should all be flogged. :)

yeamon
10-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Back when Dennis Miller was still funny, he said something I always think about in situations like this, when everyone is scrambling, looking for answers. I can't remember the exact quote, but it was something along the lines of...

"You can't save everybody, folks. All you can do is hope you don't live next door to them when they go off."

Amos Moses
10-10-2007, 03:33 PM

I knew that was coming. :D

half guard
10-10-2007, 03:58 PM

seconded! :twisted:

i believe blandy was an 11b or 11m. so i'm sure he knows what it's like to be stuck in bad situations that require quick decisions. i think cote's a commo guy (don't remember the mos code), but i think he's assigned to an 11m unit (or maybe cav, i'm not sure) and has been knee deep in shitty situations while deployed quite a few times.

Fourthman
10-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Much better! That was close, you almost single handidly broke the internet.

I dont know what you were thinking agreeing with someone when a topic was only on page 5!

A tip: view 40 per page.

Gunter
10-10-2007, 04:47 PM

Quoted for truth.

You can't spell wimp without mp.