PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have hearing aids?

Shane W
10-04-2007, 08:18 PM
I went in for my consultation for hearing aids today and I'm a bit overwhelmed with the differences not only in style, but in function. :surrend:

The two brands they recommend is Phonak and Widex. And then there are 5 different levels of digital aids and a basic digital/analog one. Ugh, this is confusing.

Don't get me started on the price of these things either. :cry:

Caley Tibbittz
10-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Try to get something that reduces background noise.

Jay Wesson
10-04-2007, 08:22 PM
I wish. I can't afford them.

I have terrible hearing loss in both ears, though it's somewhat compensated -- high-frequencies are gone in the left ear, low-frequencies are dead in the right.

I say "huh?" a lot.

dEnny!
10-04-2007, 08:23 PM
I probably should go in for a hearing exam myself. I've done a lot of damage to them and when there is a lot of background noise I have a hard time hearing what people are saying.

Caley Tibbittz
10-04-2007, 08:24 PM
I probably should go in for a hearing exam myself. I've done a lot of damage to them and when there is a lot of background noise I have a hard time hearing what people are saying.
Usually nothing terribly important.

Shane W
10-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Try to get something that reduces background noise.

That's the thing, all 5 of the levels of digital claim to, but to different extents andabilities. Supposedly, the top level can determine what direction the sound is coming from and if you're "paying attention" to it and either lower or raise the amplification. It is supposed to also recognize if the sound is speech or noise and adjust accordingly also. Do I need that? I don't know!!

dEnny!
10-04-2007, 08:25 PM

That's true, but it's frustrating because I'd like to know if the hearing issues are related to me or people being low talkers or mumblers you know.

Jay Wesson
10-04-2007, 08:26 PM

You wouldn't believe some of the shit you accidentally agree to when you nod because you're tired of asking people to repeat themselves.

Shane W
10-04-2007, 08:26 PM
I wish. I can't afford them.

I have terrible hearing loss in both ears, though it's somewhat compensated -- high-frequencies are gone in the left ear, low-frequencies are dead in the right.

I say "huh?" a lot.

As do I. I received some serious sticker shock today, and the fact that insurance doesn't cover them.. Ugh.

Kingsumo
10-04-2007, 08:29 PM
That's the thing, all 5 of the levels of digital claim to, but to different extents andabilities. Supposedly, the top level can determine what direction the sound is coming from and if you're "paying attention" to it and either lower or raise the amplification. It is supposed to also recognize if the sound is speech or noise and adjust accordingly also. Do I need that? I don't know!!

Damn, that is a lot to go through. Is insurance covering this, or are you having to pay? I don't think you would need top of the line, but you should probably go mid - high range if you can.

That's true, but it's frustrating because I'd like to know if the hearing issues are related to me or people being low talkers or mumblers you know.

I am guilty of this a lot, usually when talking to myself which really pisses people off around me.

dEnny!
10-04-2007, 08:29 PM
You wouldn't believe some of the shit you accidentally agree to when you nod because you're tired of asking people to repeat themselves.

HA HA HA! Dude, my wife catches me all the time. She'll say something and I"ll just say, "Yes." And she looks at me and asks, "Yes, what?" "Um...yes to whatever you said." "You have no idea what I just said." "No, but you're my wife, don't call me out." :Oops:

Jay Wesson
10-04-2007, 08:30 PM
HA HA HA! Dude, my wife catches me all the time. She'll say something and I"ll just say, "Yes." And she looks at me and asks, "Yes, what?" "Um...yes to whatever you said." "You have no idea what I just said." "No, but you're my wife, don't call me out." :Oops:

BINGO! :lol:

Shane W
10-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Damn, that is a lot to go through. Is insurance covering this, or are you having to pay? I don't think you would need top of the line, but you should probably go mid - high range if you can.

Well, all of them do this to different degrees. The higher end have supposedly better polarity recognition.. And this will be completely out of pocket, insurance won't touch them and I've learned recently that most don't.

Kingsumo
10-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Well, all of them do this to different degrees. The higher end have supposedly better polarity recognition.. And this will be completely out of pocket, insurance won't touch them and I've learned recently that most don't.

That certainly sucks. I don't suppose they have any trail programs or anything do they?

Shane W
10-04-2007, 08:35 PM
That certainly sucks. I don't suppose they have any trail programs or anything do they?

Nope, no trials. :cry:

Kingsumo
10-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Nope, no trials. :cry:

Hm. Sorry man.

Hopefully someone here can point you in the right direction then. But homework is usually the best way to go.

Shane W
10-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Hm. Sorry man.

Hopefully someone here can point you in the right direction then. But homework is usually the best way to go.

Yeah, I'm having trouble finding web sites with what seems to be accurate descriptions or reviews.

I keep looking at the one model with the term "digital bionics".. That appeals to me for some reason. :lol:

Shane W
10-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Oh, and I can also get two different brands of remote controls if I wish. One brand has keychain, beeper, and watch styles, while the other only has beeper, however, it adds alarm clock capabilities to the aid.

Caley Tibbittz
10-04-2007, 08:47 PM

:lol: My sister wears hearing aids, but she never agrees to anything she can't hear. She just walks away. It pisses people off, but I wish I were more like her when it comes to ignoring morons...

Binx
10-04-2007, 09:21 PM
As do I. I received some serious sticker shock today, and the fact that insurance doesn't cover them.. Ugh.

I have hearing loss and tinnitus. The tinnitus bothers me more than the hearing loss. My hearing loss probably bothers other people more, because of the "what's that?" factor and always turning on captions on movies and TV.

You mind me asking what they cost? I was told in the thousands. With that and insurance not covering them, I just haven't done anything about it.

Shane W
10-04-2007, 09:23 PM
I have hearing loss and tinnitus. The tinnitus bothers me more than the hearing loss. My hearing loss probably bothers other people more, because of the "what's that?" factor and always turning on captions on movies and TV.

You mind asking what they cost? I was told in the thousands. With that and insurance not covering them, I just haven't done anything about it.

Low end digital is about 2k per ear (give or take a hundred) high end is about $3500 per ear.

BenH
10-05-2007, 05:42 AM
I have a profound hearing loss and have had hearing aids since I was 3 years old. Currently I have digital Sonnovation hearing aids, which are able to transfer high frequency sounds (like "S") to lower frequncies. It makes things sound staticcy for a long time, but eventually you get used to it.

I've definitely found digital aids to be better than analog, but if you can hear somewhat without the aids, digital might not be necessary.

Brewtown Andy
10-05-2007, 05:50 AM
You need hearing aids?

Marc Lombardi
10-05-2007, 05:55 AM
Smartass response: Yes. I got them from listering to too many whores.

Actual response: No, but when I used to work in a pharmacy I would hear from people the same complaints you have -- that they're not worth the often exorbitant prices. However if you can find one that works for you it's rather priceless. So, good luck with that, man.

Binx
10-05-2007, 07:49 AM
Low end digital is about 2k per ear (give or take a hundred) high end is about $3500 per ear.

Fuck! I was thinking maybe 2 grand TOTAL.

Shane W
10-05-2007, 07:53 AM
Fuck! I was thinking maybe 2 grand TOTAL.

Yeah. me too.

Binx
10-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Yeah. me too.

I'll have to sell an organ to support the ones that don't work! :-? :sad:

(akaRyanHoffman)
10-05-2007, 08:21 AM
I remember a psychology teacher saying people sometimes unconsiously talk quite so you'll have to pay attention to them. I tend to think this is true and it bugs the hell out of me. A LOT of people talk waaaaaaaaaaaay too low.

It also doesn't help that I'm going deaf.

I think more people need to talk like David Lynch's character from Twin Peaks. Except when I'm sleeping.

Jamie Howdeshell
10-05-2007, 08:37 AM
I have two hearing aids and know quite a bit about them.

Too bad you have me on ignore.

:lol:

(akaRyanHoffman)
10-05-2007, 08:40 AM

Maybe me quoting you will help.

Jamie Howdeshell
10-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Maybe me quoting you will help.

Huh?

(akaRyanHoffman)
10-05-2007, 09:01 AM
Huh?

you don't know?

Binx
10-08-2007, 08:14 AM

Or maybe he just can't hear you!

Jamie Howdeshell
10-08-2007, 08:32 AM
you don't know?

No, I just didn't hear what you said.

Get it! GET IT!!??

:scared:

KingMob
10-08-2007, 08:47 AM

no shit?