PDA

View Full Version : Why Is It Called The Show Me State?

Buk Was Right
10-01-2007, 09:01 AM
My girl and I are divided on the origins of Missouri's state motto/nickname/whatever.

She says it comes from a place of intellectual curiosity. As in "Show me something interesting".

I say it is borne of skepticism, mistrust, and braggart-ism. Such as:

"I caught a fish this big"
"Oh yeah? Show me!"

So?

BriRedfern
10-01-2007, 09:02 AM
I believe that I have heard it is the second, a general mistrust of sorts.

Edit - From Wiki -

The phrase "I'm from Missouri" means I'm skeptical of the matter and not easily convinced. This is related to the state's motto of "Show Me," whose origin is popularly ascribed to an 1899 speech by Congressman Willard Vandiver, who declared that "I come from a country that raises corn and cotton, cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I'm from Missouri, and you have got to show me." However, according to researchers, the phrase was in circulation earlier in the 1890's.[12]According to another story, the phrase was originally a reference to Missouri laborers being brought to Colorado to quell a miner's strike and requiring frequent instruction. [13]

RickLM
10-01-2007, 09:30 AM
For a time, Michigan's license plates bore the slogan, "Fuckin' Prove It!"

Jen Grunwald
10-01-2007, 09:40 AM
I believe that I have heard it is the second, a general mistrust of sorts.

Edit - From Wiki -

The phrase "I'm from Missouri" means I'm skeptical of the matter and not easily convinced. This is related to the state's motto of "Show Me," whose origin is popularly ascribed to an 1899 speech by Congressman Willard Vandiver, who declared that "I come from a country that raises corn and cotton, cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I'm from Missouri, and you have got to show me." However, according to researchers, the phrase was in circulation earlier in the 1890's.[12]According to another story, the phrase was originally a reference to Missouri laborers being brought to Colorado to quell a miner's strike and requiring frequent instruction. [13]

So it seems buk WAS indeed right! ;-)

:rogue:

Buk Was Right
10-01-2007, 09:42 AM
So it seems buk WAS indeed right! ;-)

:rogue:

First time for everything...

PeterSparker
10-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Why Is It Called The Show Me State?

uh, I'm really, well it's just.... I just still can't talk about it, ok

Damian696
10-01-2007, 09:52 AM
My girl and I are divided on the origins of Missouri's state motto/nickname/whatever.

She says it comes from a place of intellectual curiosity. As in "Show me something interesting".

I say it is borne of skepticism, mistrust, and braggart-ism. Such as:

"I caught a fish this big"
"Oh yeah? Show me!"

So?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/MrKitshen/Cats/cats.jpg

Josh!
10-01-2007, 09:55 AM
When I lived in Missouri, I liked to call it "The Blow Me State."

jason hissong
10-01-2007, 09:57 AM
When I lived in Missouri, I liked to call it "The Blow Me State."

growing up we always referred to it as misery.