PDA

View Full Version : So, I've got it on good authority who is taking over Punisher MAX after Ennis...

Bald Steve
09-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Mike Benson, new co-writer of Moon Knight, and writer of the upcoming Punisher Max Annual.

Discuss.

NOTE: This is not based on the tip posted at Rich's LITG.

RebootedCorpse
09-20-2007, 07:50 AM
...Dropped.

Fourthman
09-20-2007, 07:51 AM
...Dropped.

Me too.

Simps
09-20-2007, 07:52 AM
...Dropped.
Before even trying the guy's Annual? I'd imagine it would have to be pretty good for them to then offer him the monthly gig.

Jim T.
09-20-2007, 07:54 AM
I'll drop at Garth's last issue only b/c I don't want to have my LCS buying them for me until after I decide if I look the new guy...

Fourthman
09-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Before even trying the guy's Annual? I'd imagine it would have to be pretty good for them to then offer him the monthly gig.

I need someone I trust to tell me that. Marvel knows what sells, but what might usually sell this character is maybe not what I'm reading the book for. And at this point it's not even about the money - it's about the time.

MIKE D
09-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Me too.

Thirded.

NickT
09-20-2007, 09:29 AM
I'll wait and see.

Jerome Gibbons
09-20-2007, 09:30 AM
I'll wait and see.

Me too.

Ray G.
09-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Fail.

S. Earl
09-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Ill give the guy a fair shot. I hope it is good. I also hope he can make Moon Knight readable again. The first arc was awesome, but since then it has become unreadable.

I think they should give Punisher Max to Stuart Moore whose Punisher Christmas special was fantastic.

Fourthman
09-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Does "wait and see" mean not dropping it? Because I interpret it as "I'll wait to buy it and see if it's well reviewed." There's no waiting involved in continuing to buy the book.

NickT
09-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Does "wait and see" mean not dropping it? Because I interpret it as "I'll wait to buy it and see if it's well reviewed." There's no waiting involved in continuing to buy the book.
For me it means I will decide nearer the time. What's the premise, how many books am I getting, previews, reviews, maybe giving it an issue or two and so forth.

WAKKAJAWAKKA
09-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Even If It's Good, It Won't Be What Ennis Made It.

Wayno.

RebootedCorpse
09-20-2007, 11:05 AM
I feel sorry for whoever has to replace Ennis.

MIKE D
09-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Even If It's Good, It Won't Be What Ennis Made It.

Wayno.

I honestly feel bad for the guy. As good as he might be, he's following too seminal a run.

Amos Moses
09-20-2007, 11:08 AM
There is but one Punisher and Ennis is his writer.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
09-20-2007, 11:08 AM
This gig is a poisoned chalise. I feel so sorry for whoever lands it. That said, I won't write the guy off until I've read what he has to offer the character. As great as Garth is, there is room for another interpretation of Frank. See Matt Fraction's take in War Journal.

WAKKAJAWAKKA
09-20-2007, 11:09 AM
I honestly feel bad for the guy. As good as he might be, he's following too seminal a run.

After A Few Months Of Reading Ennis On The Book, I Was Already Of The Opinion It Was Gonna Suck To Be The Guy That Has To Pick Up After He Leaves.

Wayno.

Ben
09-20-2007, 11:09 AM
I hear Ron Zimmerman's free...

Jerome Gibbons
09-20-2007, 11:10 AM

It means I'll wait and see if I drop it after Ennis leaves. As in it's not certain right now if I'll drop it after Ennis leaves.

MIKE D
09-20-2007, 11:11 AM
It means I'll wait and see if I drop it after Ennis leaves. As in it's not certain right now if I'll drop it after Ennis leaves.

For me, it's dropped. Now it's "wait and see" if I pick up the first trade from the guy. And that's going to depend on a whole lot of dude's with valued opinions telling me to get it.

Kefky
09-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Nothin' wrong with giving the guy a try.

I'm worried about the book's sales, though. Once Ennis leaves, sales will get MUCH closer to the edge.

Jerome Gibbons
09-20-2007, 11:14 AM
For me, it's dropped. Now it's "wait and see" if I pick up the first trade from the guy. And that's going to depend on a whole lot of dude's with valued opinions telling me to get it.

You could just read the Annual, which is being written by Benson.

MIKE D
09-20-2007, 11:15 AM
You could just read the Annual, which is being written by Benson.

I'll give it a go, but I usually find annuals to be just over-long fillers. But I'll try him out.

Charles
09-21-2007, 08:07 AM
Dropped as well. It'd have to be pretty damn fantastic to adjust to the change in writer. Remember when Tom Peyer tried to ape Ennis for an arc? Idk, I'll check it out in the store, but not dropping any coin for it.

elry
09-21-2007, 08:13 AM
Ennis has spoiled me on the character, so im not sure if i will be able to really give the new writer a fair chance. I tried with Matt Fraction, but couldnt tell if the book just wasnt a good writer/artist/character fit or if I just dont want to see the Punisher running around in spandex any more fighting goofy comic book villians...

Bald Steve
09-21-2007, 08:47 AM
Okay, here's the final skinny: A rock-solid source just let me know (like, 5 minutes ago) that Benson is definitely not going to be taking over on Big Pun. So, if Ennis does in fact plan to end his run in the near future, it will not be Mike Benson replacing him. Sorry for the false alarm.

Everyone may now collectively exhale with me.

Ahhhhhhhhhh.

Nice.

It's pretty amazing to see how highly regarded Ennis' run is around here. I agree, too - It's pretty much flawless.

Charles
09-21-2007, 08:56 AM
HAHA Hope we didn't all slam Benson for no reason. Actually most of the comments apply to any writer who takes it. I hope Marvel doesn't go with an unknown. That's a strike against him right there. Sure, it could work, but if you put Millar on it, you know his voice, you know type of writing to expect from him and if you like him or not. New writer, you're already thinking "who the hell's this guy".

Doug
09-21-2007, 09:32 AM
It doesn't matter to me who is taking over, I'm dropping the book after Ennis leaves. He's the only writer to really get me interested in the character.

I normally like Fraction's books, but I tried the first few issues of his PWJ, and it just really wasn't for me. I dropped it after issue # 4.

Unless they get Frank Miller (writing and art), Warren Ellis, or Andy Diggle I will be dropping the book.

PeterSparker
09-21-2007, 09:36 AM
It doesn't matter to me who is taking over, I'm dropping the book after Ennis leaves. He's the only writer to really get me interested in the character.

I normally like Fraction's books, but I tried the first few issues of his PWJ, and it just really wasn't for me. I dropped it after issue # 4.

Gotta kind of agree on both.

Bandit Chimera
09-21-2007, 12:52 PM
I'll wait and see.

same Ennis made the book worth reading ...what it gonna be without him :(