PDA

View Full Version : how much is late art hurting bendis' skrull masterpiece? spoilers

nick maynard
09-16-2007, 04:51 PM
at the end of NA 34, we see the NA come upon the mighty avengers fighting an army of symbiotes. with the might avengers, we see jessica drew, aka spiderwoman. we know now that the last issue of illuminati involves spiderwoman bringing the skrullektra body to tony / illuminati.

my question is, how much do you imagine this will harm the impact of the OVERALL avengers story?

in a perfect world, i imagine this was planned so that we got spiderwoman leaving with the skrull body, then jess bringing the body to the illuminati, with mighty avengers catching up to symbiotes, then the NA come upon the symbiote fighting and see spiderwoman already with the mighty avengers.

personally, i think that bendis is writing the best books of his career right now, but i cant help but wonder how much the late art is harming the overall story, or at least how hard the story hits me.

any other thoughts?

JoeE
09-16-2007, 04:53 PM
The lateness of Mighty Avengers is really pissing me off. It's definitely hurting the story, in my opinion.

I say take Cho off the book until the Skrull storyline is over next year. At a time when Mighty Avengers and New Avengers are tying together so extensively, there's no justification for one of them to be running 2-3 issues behind the other.

nick maynard
09-16-2007, 04:55 PM
The lateness of Mighty Avengers is really pissing me off. It's definitely hurting the story, in my opinion.

I say take Cho off the book until the Skrull storyline is over next year. At a time when Mighty Avengers and New Avengers are tying together so extensively, there's no justification for one of them to be running 2-3 issues behind the other.

i definitely think that bagley got put on the book just to catch mighty up to na.

Matt O'Keefe
at the end of NA 34, we see the NA come upon the mighty avengers fighting an army of symbiotes. with the might avengers, we see jessica drew, aka spiderwoman. we know now that the last issue of illuminati involves spiderwoman bringing the skrullektra body to tony / illuminati.

my question is, how much do you imagine this will harm the impact of the OVERALL avengers story?

in a perfect world, i imagine this was planned so that we got spiderwoman leaving with the skrull body, then jess bringing the body to the illuminati, with mighty avengers catching up to symbiotes, then the NA come upon the symbiote fighting and see spiderwoman already with the mighty avengers.

personally, i think that bendis is writing the best books of his career right now, but i cant help but wonder how much the late art is harming the overall story, or at least how hard the story hits me.

any other thoughts?

I think Bendis wrote the best of his career when he was on USM, DD, and Alias all at once. Only because he had four extremely high quality books at once, while he was only producing one or two at a time in his indy days.

NickT
I'm pretty sure what you speak of comes up in the first Bagley MA issue over the Illuminati. Illuminati might deal with it too, but I think the bringing is in MA.

I'm hoping that the books stand alone enough that delays in one book wont affect others, like how some books carried on post-CW while CW was late.

chazbot
09-16-2007, 04:57 PM
the internet probably also effects "how hard the story hits (you)"
let's all stab the internet!

nick maynard
09-16-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm pretty sure what you speak of comes up in the first Bagley MA issue over the Illuminati. Illuminati might deal with it too, but I think the bringing is in MA.

the most recent wordballoon interview with brian reed says the last illuminati issue deals with it.

JoeE
09-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Illuminati #5 is going to be HUGE for the Skrull storyline.

nick maynard
09-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Illuminati #5 is going to be HUGE for the Skrull storyline.

just as i imagine the whole series was, sans secret war issue.

NickT
09-16-2007, 05:04 PM
the most recent wordballoon interview with brian reed says the last illuminati issue deals with it.
Yeah, but we've also seen a preview of the first Bagley issue ;)

Kefky
09-16-2007, 05:07 PM
The MA lateness makes me angry, but at the same time, it makes me sad too. Cho is absolutely perfect for that book, and I've been waiting for a long time for marvel to give him this kind of break. I really, REALLY don't want him to leave the book. I just hope he manages to crank things up a bit for the second year of MA.

JoeE
09-16-2007, 05:09 PM
At best, Cho should only be doing one arc a year, rotating on and off with a slate of superstar artists.

Kefky
09-16-2007, 05:11 PM
At best, Cho should only be doing one arc a year, rotating on and off with a slate of superstar artists.

Eh, but I like consistency. :-? It'd be nice he could manage to do 6-8 issues an year, and leave the rest to one other artist.

JoeE
09-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Personally, I don't mind rotating artists as long as the artists aren't rotated mid-arc. That's why New X-Men was such a mess artistically (well, most because Quitely has got to be the flakiest creator in comics).

NickT
09-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Eh, but I like consistency. :-? It'd be nice he could manage to do 6-8 issues an year, and leave the rest to one other artist.
I agree. If they need to rotate I'd hope they have a consistent rotation team, especially if we know they will be needed again.

Taxman
09-16-2007, 05:14 PM

I say take Cho off the book until the Skrull storyline is over next year. At a time when Mighty Avengers and New Avengers are tying together so extensively, there's no justification for one of them to be running 2-3 issues behind the other.Sounds like good cause to switch to the trade.

Matt O'Keefe
09-16-2007, 05:16 PM
Personally, I don't mind rotating artists as long as the artists aren't rotated mid-arc. That's why New X-Men was such a mess artistically (well, most because Quitely has got to be the flakiest creator in comics).

I didn't even start liking Quitely until he changed his style in ASS.

Cho should do minis (either high-profile or ones he has personal interest in) with a lot of lead time.

JoeE
09-16-2007, 05:16 PM
New Avengers has had 10 different artists already. Pretty nuts when you think about it.

Matt O'Keefe
09-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Sounds like good cause to switch to the trade.

Already did (for all of the event stuff, but the wait for Secret Invasion will be tough)

bartleby
09-16-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm I the only person reading both books who isn't really all that concerned about this?

JoeE
09-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Sounds like good cause to switch to the trade.

I don't think so, I'm kind of digging following this Skrull storyline issue-to-issue and speculating on this board over what's going on. That's a bit harder to do when one of the main series telling the story is running consistently behind.

Joe Henderson
09-16-2007, 05:23 PM
I agree. If they need to rotate I'd hope they have a consistent rotation team, especially if we know they will be needed again.

I hoping Cho's next arc is a smaller arc, something 4 issues or so. Keep him on smaller stories to minimize the impact of lateness.

MAK15
09-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Im actually kinna surprised that its taken Cho this long to get the books out, specially since MA was supposed to start earlier (like how Civil War was supposed ta end later).
I guess ya cant rush art.
and if ya did, then we'd bitch about that, instead.

Jerome Gibbons
09-16-2007, 05:42 PM
With Bagley on art, I imagine they could publish Mighty Avengers twice a month for one month or two, and then the book will have caught up with New Avengers.

As for Cho being late, I've heard it was because he got involved with some other projects whilst drawing MA, and thus couldn't give the book his full attention. But I understand he's back for the Annual and the arc following Bagley's, and I look forward to that. He's an amazing artist.

If it ever comes down to Cho needing an artist to alternate with, I'd love it if it was Terry Dodson.

Ryan Elliott
09-16-2007, 05:43 PM
I'd imagine a lot.

nick maynard
09-16-2007, 06:01 PM
With Bagley on art, I imagine they could publish Mighty Avengers twice a month for one month or two, and then the book will have caught up with New Avengers.

As for Cho being late, I've heard it was because he got involved with some other projects whilst drawing MA, and thus couldn't give the book his full attention. But I understand he's back for the Annual and the arc following Bagley's, and I look forward to that. He's an amazing artist.

If it ever comes down to Cho needing an artist to alternate with, I'd love it if it was Terry Dodson.

the dodson's are a great idea for an alternate with cho.

Joe Henderson
09-16-2007, 06:02 PM

Which is funny, because it's an inverse of what they did with Millar's Spider-man (Cho filling in for a couple issues of Dodson's work). I think they're DC exclusive for awhile still though...

Matt O'Keefe
09-16-2007, 06:02 PM

Doing Wonder Woman with Simone.

Jerome Gibbons
09-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Which is funny, because it's an inverse of what they did with Millar's Spider-man (Cho filling in for a couple issues of Dodson's work). I think they're DC exclusive for awhile still though...

Yeah, they have similar art styles. Dodson doesn't make his women quite as voluptuous, though. I mean...aside from the Black Cat.

nick maynard
09-16-2007, 11:56 PM
Doing Wonder Woman with Simone.

yes.

Akira
09-17-2007, 04:24 AM
just as i imagine the whole series was, sans secret war issue.

Wait for the whole mini to finish before you say that. There may be more to that than meets the eye.

nick maynard
09-17-2007, 08:37 AM
Wait for the whole mini to finish before you say that. There may be more to that than meets the eye.

true.