PDA

View Full Version : Edwards pays for time to respond to W's BS

RebootedCorpse
09-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Good for him!

Edwards' Iraq ad response Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 11:20 AM by Domenico Montanaro
Categories: 2008, John Edwards

From NBC’s Mark Murray
As we mentioned earlier, tonight, the Edwards campaign is buying two minutes of airtime on MSNBC to respond to Bush's speech on Iraq.

Here are some excerpts from Edwards’s ad:

"Unfortunately, the president is pressing on with the only strategy he's ever had - more time, more troops, and more war."

"In January, after years of evidence that military actions cannot force a political solution, the president announced a military surge to force a political solution. In May, he vetoed a plan to end the war, demanded more time to show the surge could work, and Congress gave it to him. Now, after General Petraeus reports the surge has produced no progress toward a political solution, what does the president want? More time for the surge to work, when all of us know it won't."

"But Congress must answer to the American people. Tell Congress you know the truth -- they have the power to end this war and you expect them to use it. When the president asks for more money and more time, Congress needs to tell him he only gets one choice: a firm timeline for withdrawal."

JoeE
09-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Well, one thing's for sure; George W. Bush definitely won't be able to beat John Edwards in 2008.

Ray G.
09-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Wow.

If this guy doesn't get the nomination, I'll be stunned.

McAfee
09-13-2007, 09:23 AM
Very shrewd. And well done.

Ryan F
09-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Agreed that this is smart stuff.

Doc Randy
09-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Well, one thing's for sure; George W. Bush definitely won't be able to beat John Edwards in 2008.

best post ever

nick maynard
09-13-2007, 09:32 AM
but....... bush's speech didn't air yet?????? edwards is responding with stock liberal talking points to a speech that didnt air yet? come on.

TheKraken
09-13-2007, 09:36 AM
but....... bush's speech didn't air yet?????? edwards is responding with stock liberal talking points to a speech that didnt air yet? come on.

It's Bush speech. It'll the definition of stock talking points... even of most of them will be mangled with new words he makes up...

Ryan F
09-13-2007, 09:38 AM

They had a rundown of Bush's speech on the news this morning. It always did bother me that they release the content of the speeches before the actual speech. Spoilers!!!

Greenville 90210
09-13-2007, 09:43 AM

Its politics. They already know the bulk of what he's going to say. I doubt there's any real surprises in Bush's speech.

nick maynard
09-13-2007, 09:44 AM
It's Bush speech. It'll the definition of stock talking points... even of most of them will be mangled with new words he makes up...

true! touche.

but i still dont like the idea of writing your "response" before the first person's even spoken.

They had a rundown of Bush's speech on the news this morning. It always did bother me that they release the content of the speeches before the actual speech. Spoilers!!!

oh, i didnt know that! its impressive that these speech writers can write these epic history making speeches as quickly as they seem to be able to.

Akira
09-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Wow.

If this guy doesn't get the nomination, I'll be stunned.

I think all the Obama fanatics will be in for a rude awakening. I liked Edwards as VP 4 years ago and I like him as president today.

WinterRose
09-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Wow... that's damn ballsy of him. Good for him. Can it be Obama/Edwards tikkets tiem pleezKthx.

Ray G.
09-13-2007, 09:57 AM
I think all the Obama fanatics will be in for a rude awakening. I liked Edwards as VP 4 years ago and I like him as president today.

Obama is being schooled on how to rile up the base by Edwards. This was always going to come down to establishment candidate vs. passion candidate, and Edwards is looking more and more like the guy to take down Hillary. Especially with his labor support.

RebootedCorpse
09-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Wow... that's damn ballsy of him. Good for him. Can it be Edwards/Obama tikkets tiem pleezKthx.

There it is...:twisted:

Rosemary's Baby
09-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Obama is being schooled on how to rile up the base by Edwards. This was always going to come down to establishment candidate vs. passion candidate, and Edwards is looking more and more like the guy to take down Hillary. Especially with his labor support.

Christ I hope so.

Akira
09-13-2007, 10:21 AM

Yeah, an Edwards/Obama ticket would be incredible. It would be interesting to see who the GOP would have up against them.

Rosemary's Baby
09-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Yeah, an Edwards/Obama ticket would be incredible. It would be interesting to see who the GOP would have up against them.

In my head, it seems unstoppable. I'd love to vote with confidence.

Ray G.
09-13-2007, 10:24 AM

I don't see Obama being picked as the VP. I could see all three of the front-runners settling on Richardson.

The GOP ticket will likely either be Giuliani/Huckabee(which will win) or Thompson/Martinez(which will not).

Ryan F
09-13-2007, 10:32 AM
I don't see Obama being picked as the VP. I could see all three of the front-runners settling on Richardson.

The GOP ticket will likely either be Giuliani/Huckabee(which will win) or Thompson/Martinez(which will not).

I think Obama is the obvious VP pick for everyone but Hillary. There is also bigger Dem strategy involved, as a seasoned Obama could be pretty unbeatable in 8 years.

I can also see Richardson though - and I agree that he's got a good shot at being Hillary's pick. I thought Warner was the most likely, but he's going for the Senate.

Patton
09-13-2007, 10:38 AM
This is the kind of proactive thing that a lot of the democrats' protractors are always saying they want more of. We'll see if it pays off.

Akira
09-13-2007, 10:41 AM
I think Obama is the obvious VP pick for everyone but Hillary. There is also bigger Dem strategy involved, as a seasoned Obama could be pretty unbeatable in 8 years.

Yep. If they're planning for the future they'd want Obama in office in some capacity ASAP.

Patton
09-15-2007, 06:11 AM
Did anyone see this? I didn't. I wonder if it actually happened.

Foolish Mortal
09-15-2007, 06:32 AM

I can also see Richardson though - and I agree that he's got a good shot at being Hillary's pick. I thought Warner was the most likely, but he's going for the Senate.
Obama already said he wasn't interested in being VP. Of course he could change his mind later, but he did put that statement out there.

Colby
09-15-2007, 09:11 AM
Obama already said he wasn't interested in being VP. Of course he could change his mind later, but he did put that statement out there.

I kinda feel like every young, hot-shot guy running for President has to say that, otherwise everyone will think, "Oh, he's just auditioning for VP", and not pay attention to him. And certainly not give him any bank. As evidence, I point to the fact that Edwards said it in '04.

Ben
09-15-2007, 09:18 AM
Obama already said he wasn't interested in being VP. Of course he could change his mind later, but he did put that statement out there.They have to say that when they're running for President.

I think Edwards said the same thing during the 2004 primaries.

Colby
09-15-2007, 09:21 AM
They have to say that when they're running for President.

I think Edwards said the same thing during the 2004 primaries.

2nd most comedic.

AND

2nd fastest to explain Vice-Presidential politics.

;)

Joe Henderson
09-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Did anyone see this? I didn't. I wonder if it actually happened.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/09/13/john-edwards-response-to-bushs-surge-speech/

Really good speech.

Patton
09-15-2007, 09:40 AM
http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/09/13/john-edwards-response-to-bushs-surge-speech/

Really good speech.

Awesome. Thanks man.

Brad N.
09-15-2007, 09:42 AM

Um, they release the speech to the media long before the speech is delivered.