PDA

View Full Version : JLA Wedding Special, WTF?!? (SPOILERS)

Glixy
09-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Can someone explain to me why this wasn't just a regular issue of JLA? Because it has a few pages of Bachlor/Bachlorette parties? Aren't you supposed to have a wedding in a wedding special?

I like McDuffie's take on the JLA, his Bats is great, and it was a cool comic, but I just really have NO idea why this was a "wedding special", so strange...

Akira
09-12-2007, 02:45 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/eb/Money_1973.jpg

Akira
09-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Seriously, it was probably to give McDuffie a little extra time with the characters before jumping right into his first JLA arc. I havent read it yet though, mine wont come till Friday

Albert
09-12-2007, 02:47 PM
I agree. People might skip it thinking it's sort of inconsequential, when it's actually pretty important with the rest of what's going on in the book. Weird!

Ray G.
09-12-2007, 02:54 PM
It was kind of ridiculous. Why was half of the JLA Wedding special devoted to Firestorm?

NickT
09-12-2007, 02:55 PM
I agree. People might skip it thinking it's sort of inconsequential, when it's actually pretty important with the rest of what's going on in the book. Weird!
That's what bugs me about important to the ongoing annuals.

Albert
It was kind of ridiculous. Why was half of the JLA Wedding special devoted to Firestorm?

Maybe he's getting married! :confused:

skinnyrunaway
McDuffie's name was on it. I bought it. I loved it.

But yeah, this was definitely part 1 that lots of people might miss.

I wish McKone was on JLA proper.

Criden
I might try McDuffie's run on JLA. I hope the first issue of that isn't confusing due to an expectation that the reader will have read this.

Master Jack Rabbitt
09-12-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm just angry that I didn't know this was integral when I was filling out my DCBS order. I did pick it up in the shop today, and I'm actually glad that it focuses more on the new team and villains than it does on this wedding.

Briomega
09-12-2007, 02:56 PM

I skipped it because of that. Oh well, will pick it up next week.

Jerome Gibbons
09-12-2007, 02:58 PM
So...we see superheroes getting lapdances or anything of the sort?

Albert
09-12-2007, 02:59 PM
I skipped it because of that. Oh well, will pick it up next week.

At the shop I help out at, we're just putting it in people's boxes who get JLA - which can be an annoying sales tactic, but in this case, it really basically is an issue of JLA!

skinnyrunaway
09-12-2007, 03:03 PM

We get one shot of the lady strippers. One is Rogue, another is the girl from Gen13 with pink hair.

You get a rather large panel of the male strippers. Dinah's dancing with one, etc.

Glixy
09-12-2007, 03:03 PM

Well, Ollie didn't want strippers, so Hal had to get rid of them (great scene)

But the ladies party looked pretty raunchy. They were dancing w/ some male strippers dressed like heroes, and Zatanna looks like she's pole dancing.

Weirdly, it looks like Barbara is there, and just sitting there with her chair nowhere to be seen... that seemed really weird to me.

And a big C'MON DC EDITORS GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER, for the shot of Starfire dancing (? is that her name, you know, the hot alien chick that nightwing used to bang), considering what is going on in Challengers, she shouldn't be there...

MAK15
09-12-2007, 03:17 PM
I liked that this happened. now I dont have to wait a whole month to see the league's reaction to the legion of doom's attacks.
also, Joker's outfit was fan-fucking-tastic.

bachman
09-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Loved the book, loved the story, loved the art.

And I agree, Joker looked AWESOME! I want a purple trench coat and hat, and a cane.

But yeah, it was a bit odd that it was put out in a stand alone "Wedding Special" format, when it's part of the ongoing series and didn't have a lot of wedding stuff.

MAK15
09-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Loved the book, loved the story, loved the art.

And I agree, Joker looked AWESOME! I want a purple trench coat and hat, and a cane.

But yeah, it was a bit odd that it was put out in a stand alone "Wedding Special" format, when it's part of the ongoing series and didn't have a lot of wedding stuff.

well, maybe the wedding stuf will be in next weeks countdown, it does have stragirl and supergirl I think on the cover trying to get in on BC's party. but hey, do we really wanna see a wedding, or just Green Arrow getting clipped?

Glixy
09-12-2007, 03:34 PM
well, maybe the wedding stuf will be in next weeks countdown, it does have stragirl and supergirl I think on the cover trying to get in on BC's party. but hey, do we really wanna see a wedding, or just Green Arrow getting clipped?

Its not that I cared about getting "wedding content", I had actually heard that this was pretty much a regular issue of JLA, so I picked it up, even thought I didn't plan on getting it.

I mean, call it the Bachlor Party special or something. Whats bothering me is that they ARE going to have the wedding at some point, and its not going to be in the Wedding Special, thats what is so weird to me.

I know it was supposed to be a one shot... But it has a #1 on the cover, maybe when they realized they didn't want to do the wedding yet they decided they were going to do a few of these issues?

MAK15
09-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Its not that I cared about getting "wedding content", I had actually heard that this was pretty much a regular issue of JLA, so I picked it up, even thought I didn't plan on getting it.

I mean, call it the Bachlor Party special or something. Whats bothering me is that they ARE going to have the wedding at some point, and its not going to be in the Wedding Special, thats what is so weird to me.

I know it was supposed to be a one shot... But it has a #1 on the cover, maybe when they realized they didn't want to do the wedding yet they decided they were going to do a few of these issues?

they also did that last week with black canary wedding planner.

d.j.
09-12-2007, 04:02 PM
We get one shot of the lady strippers. One is Rogue, another is the girl from Gen13 with pink hair.

You get a rather large panel of the male strippers. Dinah's dancing with one, etc.

Really? Good thing young kids don't read superhero comics anymore... BRING ON THE STRIPPERS!

Boris the Blade
09-12-2007, 04:03 PM
I told my buddy at school today, who was going to pass because it looked like an inconsequential "wedding special!" that it is more or less the "Sinestro Corps Special" for Justice League. DC is winning me back.

Taxman
09-12-2007, 04:13 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/eb/Money_1973.jpg:rock:

Blandy vs Terrorism
09-12-2007, 04:46 PM

One-shots always have a #1 on the cover...

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
09-12-2007, 06:23 PM
This was a weird read for me. I enjoyed some of it, I didn't other parts. Very inconsistent. Some of the dialogue was great, some of it was straight up corn. Art was nice though.

Albert
09-12-2007, 06:27 PM
This is going to maybe make me sound like the lamest person alive, but the reason I was attracted to it was because I really LIKE wedding comics. When I realized it wasn't really about the wedding, I was kinda bummed.

Joe Henderson
09-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Did Mike McKone become DC exclusive and no one notice?

Criden
09-12-2007, 06:29 PM

I thought he did a few months ago?

ETA: Couldn't find anything out about an exclusive, but I did discover that his Marvel exclusive expired in December.

THWIP!
09-12-2007, 06:53 PM
I really liked it and loved McDuffies take on Batman.

09-12-2007, 06:57 PM
I liked McDuffie's Hal. Interestingly enough... I did NOT like his John, which kinda surprised me. And I really don't like the idea that's he's already changing around the lineup. From a chemistry and team dynamic standpoint, Hal works better than John, Jasonstorm doesn't fit at all, and if he takes either Jeff or Roy off this team, I will not be a happy camper.

lonesomefool
09-12-2007, 07:19 PM

I dont think he signed exclusive, but he is back at DC/Wildstorm now. Apparently he has a creator owned project coming out through Wildstorm soon. He's also doing covers for Stormwatch:PHD.

lonesomefool
09-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Oh, and as for McDuffie, I am glad DC put him on JLA. His FF has been a good, fun ride, and while I am excited Millar and Hitch are taking the book over, I must admit I was a bit sad that it meant McDuffie and Pelletier were on the way out.

Humphrey_Lee
09-12-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm just angry that I didn't know this was integral when I was filling out my DCBS order. I did pick it up in the shop today, and I'm actually glad that it focuses more on the new team and villains than it does on this wedding.

I didn't buy it just out of principle. It's stuff like this, and having to finish stuff like Heinberg's WW arc and the first Donner/Johns Action arc in Annuals that is costing DC a lot of goodwill. If they're that hard up for sales, just ship JLA twice in a month. Or, better yet, get most of your big sellers out, I dunno, on time.

Master Jack Rabbitt
09-12-2007, 07:40 PM
I didn't buy it just out of principle. It's stuff like this, and having to finish stuff like Heinberg's WW arc and the first Donner/Johns Action arc in Annuals that is costing DC a lot of goodwill. If they're that hard up for sales, just ship JLA twice in a month. Or, better yet, get most of your big sellers out, I dunno, on time.

To me, this is a far cry from the travesties that are WW and Action Comics. This wasn't moved due to a scheduling fuckup.
I just wish they'd been more clear from that outset that this issue was the first chapter of McDuffie's run. Hell, maybe they did, and I just wasn't paying attention.

Pat Loika
09-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Wait...this is the first issue of the McDuffie run? Was it double-sized? And was there even any mention of the wedding?

P.

Humphrey_Lee
09-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Wait...this is the first issue of the McDuffie run? Was it double-sized? And was there even any mention of the wedding?

P.

Yes, yes, and barely. It was about the wedding to start and then... stuff happens.

Humphrey_Lee
09-12-2007, 07:55 PM
To me, this is a far cry from the travesties that are WW and Action Comics. This wasn't moved due to a scheduling fuckup.
I just wish they'd been more clear from that outset that this issue was the first chapter of McDuffie's run. Hell, maybe they did, and I just wasn't paying attention.

Yeah, but this is in the same vein, but instead of a scheduling fuck up at the end this is like putting out an Annual and then saying the story begins in the next issue of the regular run without telling a soul. It's just opposite ends of the spectrum. I did like what I read though, I just didn't give them an extra $4 for giving me an unnecessary run around since I didn't order it in the first place.

09-12-2007, 07:56 PM
And it's a shame too, because I thought the banter at the bachelor party was some of the strongest stuff in the issue.

Roger
09-13-2007, 07:11 AM
this book fucking rocked!

i am now really looking forward to his run on JLA

Roger
09-13-2007, 07:25 AM
side note....one thing i did not like about this book is that he didn;t kill the new crappy firstorm.

i got so happy when i thought he was going to die.

WAKKAJAWAKKA
09-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Who Got Married?

Wayno.

Boris the Blade
09-13-2007, 07:27 AM

P.
The League is having their respective Bachelor/Bachelorette parties and the wedding planning is in swing, but this is very much where the new Injustice League is beginning their attack on Ollie/Dinah's wedding, as mentioned back in Countdown.

Simps
09-13-2007, 07:28 AM
I liked McDuffie's Hal. Interestingly enough... I did NOT like his John, which kinda surprised me. And I really don't like the idea that's he's already changing around the lineup. From a chemistry and team dynamic standpoint, Hal works better than John, Jasonstorm doesn't fit at all, and if he takes either Jeff or Roy off this team, I will not be a happy camper.
Yeah, John felt really shoehorned in. And the conversation about John NOT being "The Black Green Lantern" or Hal's Back Up made me feel exactly those things about him this issue. I'm just annoyed that after finally coming back from the dead and joining the League, Hal is in there for exactly 2 "adventures" before it's back to the same boring John we had for a few years.

Dreg
09-13-2007, 07:35 AM
It was weird seeing Cheetah interact with the likes of Joker and Luthor in the recent JLA issue. I mean, she's solid C list, if anything. The only logic I can see behind it is that she's one of Wonder Woman's chief villains, so no matter how lame she is, she goes to the head of the class.

Boris the Blade
09-13-2007, 07:39 AM
It was weird seeing Cheetah interact with the likes of Joker and Luthor in the recent JLA issue. I mean, she's solid C list, if anything. The only logic I can see behind it is that she's one of Wonder Woman's chief villains, so no matter how lame she is, she goes to the head of the class.
Yeah, thought it was weird too. Obviously it's done to mirror the "Big Three" in Justice League.

SteveZegers
09-13-2007, 07:40 AM
They've been using Circe for everything, so she was a nice change of pace.

Boris the Blade
09-13-2007, 07:42 AM
They've been using Circe for everything, so she was a nice change of pace.
Definitely closer in power range than Cheetah.

artimoff
09-13-2007, 07:42 AM
In every interview McDuffie has given he's said that his first 2 JLA scripts seemed to fit what DC wanted in a JLA Wedding Special, so he rewrote 2 pages & suddenly it's a Wedding Special.