PDA

View Full Version : 6 Years ago today...

HCMarvel
09-11-2007, 04:57 AM
Thoughts and prayers for any one having a hard time

dasNdanger
09-11-2007, 05:57 AM
Sad day....

I was fortunate enough not to lose anyone that day, but I did have three friends who - for various reasons - either didn't go to work that day, or were running late. My brother-in-law's son (from another marriage - guess that would make him my step-nephew?) was running late to work - he was across the water when he saw his tower hit. The trauma of losing friends and workmates has scarred him for life, and now he's totally wrapped up in conspiracy theories and anarchy and all sorts of crazy crap. I think he just snapped that day.

19 years ago today I met my husband. 9/11/88 - it used to be a good date. We'd go out for a special dinner every year - the anniversary of meeting each other - it was nice. But since 2001, we just can't bring ourselves to celebrate on this day anymore.

And today I'm irritated with the news media. They are talking about the people who did this thing. I don't know about you guys, but honestly - THIS should be a day for the victims and survivors only - and NOT a time to acknowledge the ones who did this horrible thing. They should be ignored, as if they never existed.

das

Gregory
09-11-2007, 06:01 AM
It was my first day at my new job: a weekly newspaper. I had left a daily in the NYTimes syndicate, and I thought all day that I should be back at my old job to help put the special afternoon edition together.

jess
09-11-2007, 06:04 AM
my husband's birthday is tomorrow...

I remember how much different everything was that day. I was in high school & needed to go get some prescriptions and the sky just looked weird. No one was outside, the air just felt so wrong.

But what a precursor to your 15th birthday, eh? What a shitty day to have had a birthday that year.

SteveZegers
09-11-2007, 06:05 AM
I spent most of the day not knowing ifmy sister-in-law was alive. She worked in the WTC. When I think what could have happened, my nephew never would have been born... all that. It's still scary.

I wish that more had been done down there.

Jim T.
09-11-2007, 06:09 AM
We were at the Jersey shore - I had to keep flipping back and forth from the news to Barney b/c our 2 year old wanted to watch it. During one of the flips the second plane hit and when I flipped back it was pretty damn clear that this was all intentional. Then we had a surreal day at the zoo and the beach....

Foolish Mortal
09-11-2007, 06:18 AM
At first, I was going to speak about the Bush administration's incompetence in my post here. But I changed my mind.

This should be about the people that died that day. The victims of the attacks, and the heroic men and women that gave their lives trying to save them.

That's what this day should be about. Remembering them.

HCMarvel
09-11-2007, 06:27 AM
This reading of all the names...amazing how much that alone is getting to me.

Brian Defferding
09-11-2007, 06:30 AM
I was working the morning shift at Best Buy in Roseville and we had the radios blasting to the Half-Ass morning show to 93x, they just got done with an interview with Jamie Navarro, when the news broke. The DJ's were in denial of the news, they were like "This isn't real, is it?" And then another plane crash, and another one... :nonono2: I can't imagine what it would feel like to be directly affected from those attacks. One minute it's just business as usual, the next...

Rafiennes
09-11-2007, 06:37 AM
I was temping up at Columbia University and my boss's window had a wonderful view of the towers alllll the way down at the other end of the island. I went into her office, looked out at the skyline then, talked with her, went down for breakfast, and by the time I came back up, the first plane had hit.

My wife (then fiancé) was working at Chelsea Piers and ended up having the only working phone. She and her co-workers stood there and watched the 2nd plane hit.

Everything went in to lockdown.

Later, when we were released from work, I caught a working subway to Times Square and walked down to Chelsea piers to try and find my wife (who had told me to go back to Queens as she was volunteering and to NOT go find her)

I spent about two hours trying to find her (cell phones weren’t working) and figured she went home as well.

I got home, she wasn’t there and eventually called me to tell me she was still down there. I went all the way back into the city at midnight and got her and brought her home, visibly shaken by what she had seen coming from the site.

She went back continued to volunteer 9as did I) until the triage became over-run with out of work actors who felt they were important because they had been given a walkie talkie.

We knew that there wasn’t anymore we could do down there.

18 days later, we were in California getting married.

September is such a strange month these days…

Evan the Shaggy
09-11-2007, 06:40 AM
It was my first week of college, the night before I had actually dislocated my knee playing basketball and was going to go to the hospital the next day to get it checked out. I was awoken to my new roommate waking me up and telling me one of the towers had been hit.

My entire floor was made up of kids who were predominantly from New York so everyone was flipping out. I remember walking around campus, thinking that this could have been the last time I walked around anywhere. It really did seem like end of the world stuff at the time.

Amos Moses
09-11-2007, 06:43 AM
Was in high school. Somebody turned on the T.V and it had the smoking towers on, I thought it was an ad for a movie or something.

Xorn
09-11-2007, 06:55 AM
I did my homework while watching TV. Suddenly the normal broadcast-the german version of weakest link- was interupted by the news coverage and the first plane crashing into the towers. i was horified, because my sister at this point was working as Au Pair in the US, occasionally visiting New York for shopping and stuff. It was just unreal. Moreover, the repeated use of the images and the feel of not having the power to do anything against it.

Jono
09-11-2007, 07:33 AM
For some reason this is hitting me pretty hard this year, for the first time really. Being from the tri state area, it's a little oveerwhelming to think of the people you know within only a degree or two of separation who died.

My dad still can't talk about it, he worked in the towers for ten years and did business with dozens and dozens of people who were still there. He guesses he knew at least a hundred people who died that he used to work with. Plus a couple guys from his hockey team. Plus a few guys from my high school. Plus a couple of their parents. Plus old neighbors, plus the husband of the girl every guy in school had a crush on growing up, plus, plus, plus.

It's all sad as hell, I think I'm going back to bed.

SteveZegers
09-11-2007, 07:35 AM
For some reason this is hitting me pretty hard this year, for the first time really. Being from the tri state area, it's a little oveerwhelming to think of the people you know within only a degree or two of separation who died.

My dad still can't talk about it, he worked in the towers for ten years and did business with dozens and dozens of people who were still there. He guesses he knew at least a hundred people who died that he used to work with. Plus a couple guys from his hockey team. Plus a few guys from my high school. Plus a couple of their parents. Plus old neighbors, plus the husband of the girl every guy in school had a crush on growing up, plus, plus, plus.

It's all sad as hell, I think I'm going back to bed.

It feels really creepy to be in the city on 9/11, even years later. I just hate seeing the date and looking out the window. It's an odd feeling.

Ryudo
09-11-2007, 07:40 AM
I remember the day clearly. It is pretty memorable now, seeing that 9/11/01 was a Tuesday and this is the first year that the date falls on a Tuesday.

I woke up and didn't have to work until the afternoon, but my mother turned on the Today show and she saw the plane hit the first WTC tower. So we were pretty much in shock. Then the second... I still remember Tom Brokaw pretty much came in and co-anchored everything with Matt and Katie on the show. I had errands to run and it was kind of surreal, because every radio station was carrying news coverage of the event... there was NO music on. And I was supposed to go into work around 4 but decided to go in at 2. We had decided to just have the three of us managers and then the drivers work on Tuesdays to save labor, and this was the first day. And we just got hammered, because people were staying home and watching the coverage and not really wanting to do much cooking or anything. So they ordered pizza. It was insane. But it is a memorable and sad day for me. I remember the picture in the paper of the dude jumping out of the high-rise window...

My thoughts will always be with those who lost or nearly lost someone in 9/11.

Gabbra49
09-11-2007, 08:01 AM
I remember sitting in class with my girlfriend. The teacher went to put a video in for us to watch for class and the news station on at the time was showing the first plane hit the building. Sad time, I think thats when i realized your never completely safe. Even though i didn't happen to lose anyone close to me i will never forget the feeling that ran through man that day. I'm sorry for those of you who have lost loved ones. My thoughts are with you.

bachman
09-11-2007, 08:01 AM
My girlfriend called and woke me up.

I called my best friend.

Then I drove to my parents to... I don't know... "watch televison together".
I listened to Stern on the way there.

LazyComix
09-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Watched most of it from the Marvel Bullpen. What a weird day.

Mister Mets
09-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Sad anniversary. And it's sometimes hard to remember that the day has good connotations for some people (I just finished a Happy Birthday e-mail to my grandmother in Estonia.)

HCMarvel
09-11-2007, 08:06 AM
My girlfriend called and woke me up.

I called my best friend.

Then I drove to my parents to... I don't know... "watch televison together".
I listened to Stern on the way there.

What was Howard Stern like that day?

Jim T.
09-11-2007, 08:09 AM

They played the replay a few weeks ago - it was riveting.

T-Dro
09-11-2007, 08:09 AM
I was driving to work, running a bit late. I was listening to Stern, and thought it had to be some sort of horrible joke. When I got to work, everyone was clustered around the tv in one office. It was devastating to me. I live and work in the DC metro area, so when the Pentagon was hit, it was a huge shock. I don't know anyone who died that day personally, but my heart goes out to anyone whose loved ones didn't make it.

I've been trying to avoid the news coverage today, but it's pretty much impossible. That event hit me very hard, and for some reason, today it's just like it's happening all over again.

HCMarvel
09-11-2007, 08:13 AM
http://www.onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/2006/09/nine_eleven.html

Jon Stewart's first show after 9/11. Truly an amazing moment

Aspiring Fanatic
09-11-2007, 08:17 AM
I remember the day vividly as well. My daughter was six days old. We'd already slipped into a feeding routine, so when she woke me up at about 8:45am I got myself comfortable and began feeding her. We were in a small apartment and she was sleeping in our room. Luckily for me we had a small TV in there, so during feedings I could turn on the tube and keep myself entertained.

I didn't find entertainment that morning. About five minutes after the initial crash I turned on the TV. I usually watched Breakfast Television during our morning feeding (Canada's version of the Today Show, basically), but it had been pre-empted. I stared in awe and disbelief at what I was watching, not sure what was going on; but after a few minutes I woke up my husband and told him something was happening in NY. A few minutes after he awoke we both sat with our jaws agape as we watched the second plane hit.

It was the most surreal day of my life. Yes, I live in Canada, but I'm an American, and I felt my throat constrict and an emptiness in the pit of my stomach as I watched the events unfold, thankful that if I knew anyone who even lived in the city, I was glad I wasn't aware; but also so horrified at what those who did live there or who had loved ones and friends there might be experiencing. I couldn't help but think, "What kind of world have we brought this little girl into? Will she ever know anything other than war, terrorism, and heartache?"

As I sit here and tear up, that same constriction in my throat, I can say that the vow my husband and I made that day, to raise our children surrounded by love, but without naiveté where the world is concerned, has allowed us to raise two very loving, caring children. I don't know how different things would've been if it hadn't have happened when it did, but I can be thankful that the events that occurred on that day spurred a renewed love of family and a surge of empathy that lives on in my family and so many others.

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by the events that occurred on 9-11-01, today and always.

Jason California
09-11-2007, 08:51 AM
I had just woke up from taking my sister out for 21st birthday. The previous night everyone was happpy, my sister was now a full blown adult and we had no cares in the world.

I woke up to my moms voice on the answering machine crying but was so groogy I had little comprehension about what was going on.

I turned on Fox News and saw what I thought was a bad accident. a few minuites later the second plane hit.

such stark contrast between 2 days.

that was my "where were you when Ken nedy died ?"moment.

PhilipClark
09-11-2007, 09:06 AM
I was in Manhattan that day. It was very much like being inside a Godzilla movie. My thoughts and prayers go out to all my east coast brethren today.

johnny whiplash
09-11-2007, 09:30 AM
My brother-in-law was in the Pentagon that day, the side that was hit. He went home for the weekend on the 14th of September and nine months later, my niece was born.

SteveZegers
09-11-2007, 09:39 AM

Yeah, it was amazing. I heard the entire show that day, only found out about the WTC because I was listening. (I was off that day, so I was out for a long bike ride. If I didn't have my radio I would have had no idea what was going on) It really helped in alot of ways. I'd been a fan for a long time so going home and watching everything by myself was made a little easier because the show made it feel like I was taking it in with old friends.

johnny whiplash
09-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Amazing is a great word for Stern that day.

Lyfeforce
09-11-2007, 09:49 AM
I was in class at AiPH learning how to work with Flash and everyone's cell phones started going off at once and the internet ground to a halt. The guy next to me said the trade center was being attacked and left. I stayed a little longer to get some info and the only time I could get Yahoo up was when I saw what was happening. The teacher canceled class and I went scrambling through the city to find a ride out of there (I was a few blocks from City Hall and within ten minutes from Independence Hall. Seemed like a good place as any for another attack to happen at the time.)

Finally found a ride out with a family member and spent the night sick as a dog, but got back up and went to classes the next morning.

MAK15
09-11-2007, 09:51 AM
I remember seeing it on the news with my parents righgt before I left for school. It was on all the TVs in the classrooms. lotsa kids had some parents over there, fortunately, none of them lost anyone.

Ryan Elliott
09-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Yeah, not a very fun birthday day.

I remember it very clearly. Got home from school, and there it was on TV. Turned 13 that day.

Relaunched
09-11-2007, 10:44 AM
I had just moved to LA from NYC. That monring My mom called to tell me something hit the towers. I used to live on Tower Dr. so I was confused until I turned on the tv. The phones were all busy and all I could do was listen to the poeple calling in on Stern.

I remember watching the towers fall and never really thinking about there actually being people inside. It was just this surreal shocking movie moment. Six months later,when watching that fireman documentary, the shock wore off. I never want to cry that hard again.

SteveZegers
09-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Yeah, not a very fun birthday day.

I remember it very clearly. Got home from school, and there it was on TV. Turned 13 that day.

Geez, that's rough. I thought it was bad when my grandmother died on my birthday, but that's not a national day or mourning.

Ryan Elliott
09-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Geez, that's rough. I thought it was bad when my grandmother died on my birthday, but that's not a national day or mourning.

Yeah, it's my Step-Aunt's birthday today too.

But not as rough as I'd imagine for the people that were directly effected by it.