PDA

View Full Version : Who are the great Japanese film directors?

Mister Mets
09-02-2007, 09:29 AM
A conversation about the Japanese box office of Letters from Iwo Jima (three times better than the United States box office) got me wondering whether Japan has great film directors at the moment.

So I ask you guys assuming a few would know: who are the great Japanese film directors?
I'm curious about living directors, not dead greats such as Kurosawa or Ozu.
At the moment, I'm also not interested in anything related to anime.

Fourthman
09-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Beat Takeshi is pretty good. Nagisa Oshima. Arguably Takashi Miike

Jason California
09-02-2007, 09:55 AM
I saw this move "Tetsuo" once.. that movie was out there bu pretty good.

Rosemary's Baby
09-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Hirokazu Koreeda.

He made a film called Nobody Knows, amongst others. It was about four little kids trying to make it in Tokyo after their mother splits. It's a great movie.

Tim Simmons
09-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Beat Takeshi is pretty good. Nagisa Oshima. Arguably Takashi Miike

Beat Takeshi is really good-- I saw "Fireworks" (Hana-bi) and was quite impressed...
Miike is really hit or miss with me. But, the dude does pump out a considerable amount of films.

Patrick J
09-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Takeshi Miike if you're into that sort of thing.

Satoshi Kon is fantastic but probably doesn't get the respect he likely deserves from American viewers since he directs anime. Same for Hayao Miyazaki.

Yamada Yoji has made some impressive Samurai epics in recent years.

Nagisa Oshima was very good, but I don't think he's directed anything in a number of years.

Beat Takeshi Kitano is unique but can be hit-or-miss IMHO.

I would say right now there's better films coming out of South Korea myself, with films such as Oldboy, Attack the Gas Station, H, and for better or worse Hwasango (aka Volcano High)

Mister Mets
09-02-2007, 11:22 AM
The main reason for this thread was the amount of American financed films set in Japan (Letters from Iwo Jima, Babel, The Last Samurai, Memoirs of a Geisha)

I was curious to see if this reflected a dearth a Japanese directorial talent.

Hirokazu Koreeda.

He made a film called Nobody Knows, amongst others. It was about four little kids trying to make it in Tokyo after their mother splits. It's a great movie.
I did see that one. Twas good, but if it's the best a country has to offer.....