PDA

View Full Version : Gift Help Please

Shepherd
08-28-2007, 04:12 AM
My one year anniversary is coming up, and I have no idea what to get my wife. I'd like to get her something good and personal, but I'm out of ideas. Anyone have some good ideas?

Here's a little about my wife:

--She's currently teaching English to save money, but she's a cook by trade. She loves cooking and hopes to own her own 5-star restaurant someday.
--She likes yoga.
--I'm a cyclist, and she's been getting into cycling with me lately.
--She likes to watch movies, but she already has pretty much all of them that she likes.
--She's been getting into comics lately, but mostly just random ones. She gets Spider-man Loves Mary Jane on her own, and she reads a few of mine, mostly real-life based indie comics.
--She started learning French recently (we're moving to France in a couple years so she can go to a 5-star cooking school).
--She's a devout Buddhist and likes to read Buddhist books (mostly in Korean though).
--She loves her iPod and laptop.
--She likes to watch baseball, but only in the stadium.

Hmmm, I'll add more when I think of it.

R

Smokinblues
08-28-2007, 04:14 AM
French dubbed version of Bull Durham?

BenH
08-28-2007, 04:22 AM
The one year is the paper anniversary. I just had my own 1-year and I joked to my wife that I was going to buy a new flat screen TV and give her the receipt.

But you could always get her a book about Yoga. Or a gourmet cookbook.

Shepherd
08-28-2007, 04:23 AM
French dubbed version of Bull Durham?

You're thinkin'. I like that.

R

Shepherd
08-28-2007, 04:24 AM
The one year is the paper anniversary. I just had my own 1-year and I joked to my wife that I was going to buy a new flat screen TV and give her the receipt.

But you could always get her a book about Yoga. Or a gourmet cookbook.

I thought about the gourmet cookbook, but I've gotten her a cookbook as a gift before, so I don't want to repeat gifts. Maybe the yoga book, though.

R

Angel
08-28-2007, 04:31 AM
you two could ride bikes to a baseball game, then have dinner at a french restaurant.

Shepherd
08-28-2007, 04:33 AM
you two could ride bikes to a baseball game, then have dinner at a french restaurant.

That's actually not a bad idea. I was thinking of trying to plan a really good day for her. Thanks.

R

Angel
08-28-2007, 04:35 AM
That's actually not a bad idea. I was thinking of trying to plan a really good day for her. Thanks.

R
not a problem. i like it a lot more when something like that is done for me. it shows how much you know about each other.

eroz
08-28-2007, 04:43 AM
diamond earrings.

Shepherd
08-28-2007, 04:45 AM
diamond earrings.

She's not into jewelry very much. She wears earrings, but usually pretty simple ones.

R

eroz
08-28-2007, 04:51 AM
yeah same with my wife. She usually wears small hoops, that barely go around the earlobe or small studs. I bought her small diamond studs for our 1 year anniversary. Once she saw them, she loved them.

dasNdanger
08-28-2007, 04:51 AM
This year for our anniversary my in-laws gave us a Japanese tea ceremony kit. I love it, and consider it a very special gift.

Koreans also have a tea ceremony. Perhaps - if she doesn't have a ceremony tea set, you could get that for her, even setting up a special place in the house to enjoy it. Of course, you might already have this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_tea_ceremony

das

/(. . )/
08-28-2007, 04:52 AM
Actually, a necklace, especially for someone not into jewelry, sounds sweet. It would be special because she doesn't have many jewels. And accompany that with a fine cookbook in French (language).

dougmac
08-28-2007, 05:14 AM

plus baseball tickets cover the paper aspect if you're trying to stick to tradition

Marc Lombardi
08-28-2007, 05:17 AM
1st year - Paper Anniversary - Maybe a subscription to a Magazine she likes (or one about cooking?)? Also -- make one of those "coupon books" for her with things like "Get out of cooking tonight," "I'll do dishes," "You get to choose what movie we see," stuff like that. My wife and I actually did stuff like that for each other last year. We both still use our coupons too -- even the one's that don't have anything to do with sex.

Shepherd
08-28-2007, 07:02 AM
yeah same with my wife. She usually wears small hoops, that barely go around the earlobe or small studs. I bought her small diamond studs for our 1 year anniversary. Once she saw them, she loved them.

Hmmm, maybe just diamond studs then. Something to consider, thanks.

R

Shepherd
08-28-2007, 07:04 AM
This year for our anniversary my in-laws gave us a Japanese tea ceremony kit. I love it, and consider it a very special gift.

Koreans also have a tea ceremony. Perhaps - if she doesn't have a ceremony tea set, you could get that for her, even setting up a special place in the house to enjoy it. Of course, you might already have this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_tea_ceremony

das

Thanks for the idea, but we have several tea sets already. We did a ceremony like that one at our wedding, and it was pretty fun.

R

Shepherd
08-28-2007, 07:05 AM
Actually, a necklace, especially for someone not into jewelry, sounds sweet. It would be special because she doesn't have many jewels. And accompany that with a fine cookbook in French (language).

Actually, the cookbook in French is a really good idea, since the whole reason she's learning french is to attend a cooking school in France. Thanks.

R

The Dean
08-28-2007, 07:15 AM
My girlfriend always likes "experiences" as gifts. I think we may go for a hotair balloon ride or skydiving. Of course, she also loved Guitar Hero 2...

Shepherd
08-28-2007, 07:18 AM
plus baseball tickets cover the paper aspect if you're trying to stick to tradition

Good point.

R

Shepherd
08-28-2007, 07:19 AM
My girlfriend always likes "experiences" as gifts. I think we may go for a hotair balloon ride or skydiving. Of course, she also loved Guitar Hero 2...

Yeah, I'm sure she'd love that kind of stuff too. She's really interested in going bungee jumping, but I have no idea where to find a place here in Korea.

R

dasNdanger
08-28-2007, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the idea, but we have several tea sets already. We did a ceremony like that one at our wedding, and it was pretty fun.

R

Yeah, I kinda figured you may have... ;-) But I thought I'd give it a try anyway...

Since your wife really likes French cooking, etc...then perhaps arrange for a 'night in Paris'. Not sure if you have any French-style restaurants there, but you could go that route. You could also do it at home (even some fancy restaurants provide take-out).

If you do it at home, you can google all sorts of ideas - how to set the table to give it a Parisian flare, what sort of music to play (I personally like Django Reinhardt-style gypsy swing), and, of course, pick up a nice French wine, and serve it up with warmed brie and grapes. Perhaps pick a movie that has a French flare to it - Chocolat is a delight...(gotta have chocolate on hand while watching it!), or the suspense classic, Charade, with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn. There are, of course more modern movies, but having been in Paris, there is something about Charade that reminds me so much of the city...it takes me back everytime I watch it.

Then...perhaps a little gift. A piece of jewelry...maybe a silver or gold (depending on her tastes) Eiffel Tower charm to wear on a chain, reminding her of her goal.

Just some ideas I'm throwing out there....

das

eroz
08-28-2007, 07:25 AM
Yeah, I'm sure she'd love that kind of stuff too. She's really interested in going bungee jumping, but I have no idea where to find a place here in Korea.

R

there was a company called Macho Vu based in Seoul. Not sure if it is still around.

Shepherd
08-28-2007, 08:05 AM
there was a company called Macho Vu based in Seoul. Not sure if it is still around.

How...how did you know that? :mistrust: Are you the global entertainment information king? Alright, time for a test: where's the best place to play table tennis in Alexandria, Egypt?

R

Shepherd
08-28-2007, 08:08 AM
Shit, I just remember she lurks here sometimes. Hye Sook, if you're reading this don't open the thing below.

Okay, so I just bought a huge hardcover French cookbook in French online. I think I'm going to weave this into a whole day of shenanigans, using many of your ideas, including maybe a French themed dinner if I can pull it off. Thanks a lot to everyone who replied. It was very helpful.

R

eroz
08-28-2007, 08:09 AM
How...how did you know that? :mistrust: Are you the global entertainment information king? Alright, time for a test: where's the best place to play table tennis in Alexandria, Egypt?

R
None....Egypt is banned by the ITTF (International Table Tennis Federation)

nope...:D I typed korea bungee jumping into google and got a site of bungee clubs around the world. for Korea they listed that company but the website they listed gives me nothing.

Shepherd
08-28-2007, 08:22 AM
None....Egypt is banned by the ITTF (International Table Tennis Federation)

nope...:D I typed korea bungee jumping into google and got a site of bungee clubs around the world. for Korea they listed that company but the website they listed gives me nothing.

I see, so you're just impersonating the Global Entertainment Information King (GEIK) then?

Seriously, though, I can probably search for companies in Korean, but I'm not exactly sure where to begin without tipping off the wife. I'm meeting one of my Korean friends for dinner tomorrow, and maybe she can help me out.

R

DaGetHighKnight
08-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Nobody told me about this one year "paper" anniversary thing. I would have saved alot of money and got the girl a cookbook.

eroz
08-28-2007, 10:15 AM
Nobody told me about this one year "paper" anniversary thing. I would have saved alot of money and got the girl a cookbook.

Anniversary Traditional Anniversary Gift

1st Paper
2nd Cotton
3rd Leather
4th Fruit or Flowers
5th Wood
6th Candy or Iron
7th Wool or Copper
8th Bronze or Pottery
9th Pottery or Willow
10th Tin or Aluminum
11th Steel
12th Silk or Linen
13th Lace
14th Ivory
15th Crystal
20th China
25th Silver
30th Pearl
35th Coral
40th Ruby
45th Sapphire
50th Gold
55th Emerald
60th Diamond

Anniversary Modern Anniversary Gift

1st Clocks
2nd China
3rd Crystal or Glass
4th Appliances
5th Silverware
6th Wood
7th Desk Sets
8th Linens or Lace
9th Leather
10th Diamond
11th Jewelry
12th Pearls
13th Textiles or Furs
14th Gold Jewelry
15th Watches
20th Platinum
25th Silver
30th Diamond
35th Jade
40th Ruby
45th Sapphire
50th Gold
55th Emerald
60th Diamond

DaGetHighKnight
08-28-2007, 10:36 AM

1st Paper
2nd Cotton
3rd Leather
4th Fruit or Flowers
5th Wood
6th Candy or Iron
7th Wool or Copper
8th Bronze or Pottery
9th Pottery or Willow
10th Tin or Aluminum
11th Steel
12th Silk or Linen
13th Lace
14th Ivory
15th Crystal
20th China
25th Silver
30th Pearl
35th Coral
40th Ruby
45th Sapphire
50th Gold
55th Emerald
60th Diamond

1st Clocks
2nd China
3rd Crystal or Glass
4th Appliances
5th Silverware
6th Wood
7th Desk Sets
8th Linens or Lace
9th Leather
10th Diamond
11th Jewelry
12th Pearls
13th Textiles or Furs
14th Gold Jewelry
15th Watches
20th Platinum
25th Silver
30th Diamond
35th Jade
40th Ruby
45th Sapphire
50th Gold
55th Emerald
60th Diamond

Well I guess it will always be my 60th anniversary...

Roman Noodles
08-28-2007, 10:38 AM
Wow, that's a lot personalities traits you've got memorized . . . it must be LUUUUVVVVV. :heart:

Jef UK
08-28-2007, 10:40 AM
http://www.thedailyreel.com/spotlight/coffee-break/archive/2006/12/18/d-in-a-box/image

BenH
08-28-2007, 11:12 AM

1st Paper
2nd Cotton
3rd Leather
4th Fruit or Flowers
5th Wood
6th Candy or Iron
7th Wool or Copper
8th Bronze or Pottery
9th Pottery or Willow
10th Tin or Aluminum
11th Steel
12th Silk or Linen
13th Lace
14th Ivory
15th Crystal
20th China
25th Silver
30th Pearl
35th Coral
40th Ruby
45th Sapphire
50th Gold
55th Emerald
60th Diamond

1st Clocks
2nd China
3rd Crystal or Glass
4th Appliances
5th Silverware
6th Wood
7th Desk Sets
8th Linens or Lace
9th Leather
10th Diamond
11th Jewelry
12th Pearls
13th Textiles or Furs
14th Gold Jewelry
15th Watches
20th Platinum
25th Silver
30th Diamond
35th Jade
40th Ruby
45th Sapphire
50th Gold
55th Emerald
60th Diamond

I look forward to only buying gifts in 5 year increments after the 15th anniversary.