PDA

View Full Version : Would you ever own a scooter?

Thudpucker
08-26-2007, 02:07 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6962970.stm

There is an article on the BBC page palking about the benifits of owning scooters, especially in largish cities.

I admit I think they are kind of cool. I don't think I could bring myself to ride on one though.

ClintP
08-26-2007, 02:09 PM
I am thinking about getting one actually. Since I moved to Amarillo, I work pretty close to wear I am staying. Where we are building a house it might not work so well though. I have seen some people riding them here though, which is odd since it is Amarillo.

Thudpucker
08-26-2007, 02:14 PM
I am thinking about getting one actually. Since I moved to Amarillo, I work pretty close to wear I am staying. Where we are building a house it might not work so well though. I have seen some people riding them here though, which is odd since it is Amarillo.

I see them around Austin from time to time, there are a few dealerships here. There is still an 'artsy' feel about it to me though, a fashionable trendiness. It hasn't seemed to catch on with the general population yet.

Taxman
08-26-2007, 02:14 PM
They are much more dangerous here than there.

NickT
08-26-2007, 02:18 PM
No. Firstly I don't trust two wheels. Secondly they sound really, really stupid :)

Brad N.
08-26-2007, 02:19 PM
If I lived in Italy I'd ride one all day and wave to people and I'd say "Ciao!" all day long with a real snooty accent. Maybe on a Vespa.

For cramped big cities I can see owning one over owning a car maybe but I'd always feel silly riding on one. Especially considering how tiny they are and how big I am. I'd feel like those huge twins riding tiny motorcycles they used to always have in the Guinness Book. Plus whenever I think of scooters I think of high school kids.

Brad N.
08-26-2007, 02:19 PM
No. Firstly I don't trust two wheels. Secondly they sound really, really stupid :)

Well, you could always put baseball cards in the spokes to make them sound even cooler. :)

Jef UK
08-26-2007, 02:22 PM
I'd love to have a Vespa.

Thudpucker
08-26-2007, 02:23 PM
If I lived in Italy I'd ride one all day and wave to people and I'd say "Ciao!" all day long with a real snooty accent. Maybe on a Vespa.

For cramped big cities I can see owning one over owning a car maybe but I'd always feel silly riding on one. Especially considering how tiny they are and how big I am. I'd feel like those huge twins riding tiny motorcycles they used to always have in the Guinness Book. Plus whenever I think of scooters I think of high school kids.

That's exactly my problem too. There would have to be a major overhaul on the public image scooters have before it can catch on.

It's kind of a shame, there really is alot going for owning a scooter. Price and insurance, traffic and parking, pollution, fuel consumtion. So many pluses.

Sackhead
08-26-2007, 02:33 PM
My grandfather gave his to my mother, who gave it to me, and I gave it to my younger cousin when I moved. If/when I move back, I think I'm going to seek it out. It actually might keep me from getting speeding tickets.

WillieLee
08-26-2007, 03:04 PM

If there ever was a man that needed to own a Vespa, it would be you.

kari
08-26-2007, 03:11 PM

I look at your avatar and then I giggle at the above post. I just get this image of you on a scooter with you rocking a mowhawk pulling up next to a Hummer flipping them the bird. :lol:

Fat Randy
08-26-2007, 03:14 PM
They are much more dangerous here than there.

There is no way I would ride a scooter here in Vegas. It's too hot and the drivers here would aim for me

Brad N.
08-26-2007, 03:37 PM
That's exactly my problem too. There would have to be a major overhaul on the public image scooters have before it can catch on.

It's kind of a shame, there really is alot going for owning a scooter. Price and insurance, traffic and parking, pollution, fuel consumtion. So many pluses.

They should have mega macho dudes start doing commercials. Just heavily pump ads to the public.

Brad N.
08-26-2007, 03:37 PM
I look at your avatar and then I giggle at the above post. I just get this image of you on a scooter with you rocking a mowhawk pulling up next to a Hummer flipping them the bird. :lol:

:lol:

half guard
08-26-2007, 03:44 PM
my wife has talked about getting herself one for years, but has yet to actually get one.

RebootedCorpse
08-26-2007, 03:52 PM
I'd pwnd a scooter...
http://girlbike.com/scooterimages/scene442.jpg

Wagon
08-26-2007, 03:55 PM
if I lived and worked downtown, I would totally ditch my car for a scooter. It would just be a lot easier to get around, for the times when it would be a little to far to walk.

Whenever I go to the Old Point Tavern in downtown Indy to eat, I always see these two guys who pretty much define trying too hard riding around on their scooters, though. They wear long pants, sweaters, a black coat, a woolen hat, and a scarf. and, keep in mind, I'm talking about now, not during the winter. I keep expecting to see lying them on the sidewalk dying of heat exhaustion.

Queen of the Ban Age
08-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Would I? I actively want one. Either a Vespa or a Lambretta.

the_wallcrawler
08-26-2007, 03:57 PM
I've thought very heavily about getting one. I'm secure enough to drive one around.

Two big negatives: 1.) It rains a lot here. 2.) I live 15 miles from work, most of which is highway miles.

Taxman
08-26-2007, 04:08 PM
There is no way I would ride a scooter here in Vegas. It's too hot and the drivers here would aim for meI don't even want to drive in Vegas.

Barry Hollifield
08-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Two things that you don't want your friends seeing you ride: A Scooter and a FAT chick !!:twisted:

ImYrWoodbury
08-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Only for comedy purposes. I love on a reservation. We don't have any sidewalks. Heck, our roads barely have shoulders. Terribly impractical.

Gene Reginato
08-26-2007, 04:36 PM
I worked at Monaco for 45 days last year and scooters are huge there. I even took a picture of the parking lot, in front of the building, to show people how crowed with scooters it was,

Big plus: There, girls ride their scooters while wearing skirts .

greg donovan
08-26-2007, 10:01 PM
i thought about it but i could really only drive it for about 5 months out of th year here in Fargo and the cost of just buying a good one would cost more than i am spending on fuel for my gas hog sports sedan. and i would still have to drive the car to take the kids places.

Brian Defferding
08-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Had a scooter for several years. A red 1984 Honda Spree. Sold it when I was in college. Wish I never sold it though; that thing would have saved me a ton of money nowadays.

SteveFlack
08-26-2007, 10:04 PM
I once had a co-worker offer me a ride home the week I met him. As we exited the building, I saw that the ride would be on his Vespa. I declined because I didn't want hug this dude I just met all the way across town.

Now, if he bought me a nice dinner first, I would have considered it.

-Steve!

The Human Target
08-26-2007, 10:16 PM

My sister just moved into a new place and her roommate is a Vespa dealer.

I kinda want one, but I live in rural Ohio.

SteveZegers
08-27-2007, 04:29 AM
They look like fun, but I've got a bike and my feet. I'm good.

ItsDLEVY
08-27-2007, 08:00 AM
I want one, but it's not practical for me because of the snow and how often I need to haul crap around in my car for work. Also, one of my neighbors had her scotter stolen out of a parking lot in our neighborhood - someone just lifted the damn thing into the back of a truck or something, despite it being locked up - so I'm not sure it's a wise investment.

YouStayClassy
08-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Three pages in and no one's made the "riding a scooter is like a riding an ugly girl, it's fun until your friends see you doing it" joke?

Wow.

Shane W
08-27-2007, 08:04 AM
If we had constant good weather then I would probably pull the trigger on one.

Lab-Rat
08-27-2007, 08:13 AM
If the opportunity came up, sure I'd own one...and would drive it around regularly.

However I'm not going to out of my way to get one. If I'm going to go out of my way to get a motor vehicle that is on 2 wheels...I'm gonna get a Motorcycle. But I don't see that happening any time soon either.

Buk Was Right
08-27-2007, 08:40 AM
If I actually lived in SF instead of just commuting here from across the bay I'd consider it.

Maybe not a scooter. Maybe a kickass mo-ped...

Blandy vs Terrorism
08-27-2007, 08:41 AM
No, but I'd own a Segway.

Buk Was Right
08-27-2007, 08:43 AM
No, but I'd own a Segway.

With a sound system wired to blast nothing but The Final Countdown!

(But still... where did the lighter fluid come from?)

Jumbopimp
08-27-2007, 09:03 AM
I just got back from Europe and they were everywhere. I would consider getting one to ride since it would save alot of money on gas.

On a side note, my brother is a farmer in a very rural area (he's also a highway patrolman now). When he had just bought a new truck, his father-in-law asked him to haul things in it or would put him in situations where he had to use it for short trips. He got tired of this, so he used an old scooter/bike (looking at the thing now it looks like it was where scooters branched off from motorcycles) to go from the farm to town and back so he wouldn't have to use his truck.