PDA

View Full Version : Michael Cera: Arrested Development ended because of Mitch Hurwitz

JoeE
08-20-2007, 08:56 AM
http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/jonah_hill_michael_cera_and/2

AVC: How close did it come to getting picked up by another network?

MC: Oh, it was ready. Showtime had all the money that it needed, and then it came down to Mitch Hurwitz not wanting to make any more. He created the show. They were ready to go, Showtime, it was just, Mitch decided he didn't want to do it.

THAT'S why the show ended? :no:

Ben
08-20-2007, 08:57 AM
So fans have to hate the show's creator now? That's gotta be confusing.

bartleby
08-20-2007, 08:57 AM
Welcome to 2006.

SteveFlack
08-20-2007, 08:59 AM
Um, that's not why it got canceled. It got canceled by Fox for low ratings. They tried their best, but the show just didn't have an audience. When Fox finally canceled it, Showtime was interested in picking it up, but Mitch Hurwitz was just burnt on TV, and decided to just end the show rather than try it out in cable. And really, I can't blame him.

This is a very misleading thread title.

-Steve!

Dark Sasha
08-20-2007, 08:59 AM
I don't really care if it comes back. The Series Finale ended it on a high note.

Gregory
08-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Sorkin walked away from SportsNight when cable networks wanted it too.

Dark Sasha
08-20-2007, 09:00 AM

But if he went with it, do you think we would have West Wing?

Sy-Klone
08-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Yep. That's why it ended.

I hated to lose it, but if Hurwitz felt it was time to let it end, I respect that.

lonesomefool
08-20-2007, 09:02 AM
What's Hurwitz doing projects wise these days?

JoeE
08-20-2007, 09:03 AM
At least he gave it an actual ending, unlike David Milch.

JoeE
08-20-2007, 09:03 AM
What's Hurwitz doing projects wise these days?

He produced a pilot of an adaptation of a British TV series called The Thick of It, but it wasn't picked up.

Gregory
08-20-2007, 09:04 AM

I think West Wing would have taken a different initial tact if he was already tackling an office romance show with SN. WW started off as a breezy romance show and became darker in the second season. Also they made Moira Kelly's character vanish, and that left Josh isolated.

LenNWallace
08-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Yeah, as much as I would have loved some continuation to the lives of the Bluth family, after the way they ended things on the last episode, it didn't feel like there would have been that much more for them to say.

Dark Sasha
08-20-2007, 09:07 AM
I think West Wing would have taken a different initial tact if he was already tackling an office romance show with SN. WW started off as a breezy romance show and became darker in the second season. Also they made Moira Kelly's character vanish, and that left Josh isolated.

But if he were to continue with Sport Night, we would not have Two Cathedrals.

Gregory
08-20-2007, 09:10 AM
But if he were to continue with Sport Night, we would not have Two Cathedrals.

No, I think we'd have it even sooner. West Wing allowed him to continue the light air of SN and only later did WW get serious.

bartleby
08-20-2007, 09:11 AM
He produced a pilot of an adaptation of a British TV series called The Thick of It, but it wasn't picked up.

Last I heard, there was still a good possibility of it being picked up for midseason or shopped around to other networks. Of course, I also heard that it wasn't all that great.

jason hissong
08-20-2007, 09:13 AM
I just watched the first two episodes for the first time last night.

It's great.

ImYrWoodbury
08-20-2007, 09:16 AM
I don't really think Fox tried all that hard to save Arrested Development. They couldn't find away to properly promote the Emmy winner for Best Comedy? Really?

JoeE
08-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Fox did as much as it could for Arrested Development. The fact that it was even around for a third season shows a huge amount of generosity to the show on Fox's part.

bartleby
08-20-2007, 09:19 AM
I don't really think Fox tried all that hard to save Arrested Development. They couldn't find away to properly promote the Emmy winner for Best Comedy? Really?

Do people still think that ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT was a show that was ever going to appeal to a large enough audience to justify its production cost regardless of what network did what to promote it?

Kirblar
08-20-2007, 09:20 AM
It was a Serialized comedy. That was the show's major issue, and one it would never be able to recover from. People love the show on DVD (as do I) but I can totally understand why it didn't work well on broadcast TV. So many of the jokes come from what has happened before that it makes walking into a random episode inaccessible for a first-time viewer.

KingMob
08-20-2007, 09:20 AM
OMFG

NooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo!

please.

Yannick_B
08-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Do people still think that ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT was a show that was ever going to appeal to a large enough audience to justify its production cost regardless of what network did what to promote it?

Its not crazy considering how it keeps living on in DVD--of course getting all those DVD buyers to watch it while it was still on the air didnt seem likely but hey.

bartleby
08-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Its not crazy considering how it keeps living on in DVD.

This sounds like one of those claims that has no concrete evidence to back it upójust like the myth that FIREFLY/SERENITY is catching on. So just how well is ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT selling on DVD these days?

Yannick_B
08-20-2007, 09:25 AM
Its selling awesome.
I have invented charts that support it.

bartleby
08-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Its selling awesome.
I have invented charts that support it.

Edit them into a Wikipedia article, and I'll believe you. ;)

Rosemary's Baby
08-20-2007, 09:31 AM
http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/jonah_hill_michael_cera_and/2

THAT'S why the show ended? :no:

I'd prefer that over wearing the show out. If he was done with the story, then it should be done with.

ImYrWoodbury
08-20-2007, 09:32 AM
This sounds like one of those claims that has no concrete evidence to back it upójust like the myth that FIREFLY/SERENITY is catching on. So just how well is ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT selling on DVD these days?

I'd imagine that it's slowed down now that it's on G4.

SteveFlack
08-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Fox did as much as it could for Arrested Development. The fact that it was even around for a third season shows a huge amount of generosity to the show on Fox's part.

I'd agree with you if not for one thing: they never put it on after American Idol. Shows put on after Idol has usually seen a major bump. It's even credited with saving 24 and House, two shows that you would never think would share the same audience as Idol.

-Steve!

Joe Henderson
08-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Last I heard, there was still a good possibility of it being picked up for midseason or shopped around to other networks. Of course, I also heard that it wasn't all that great.

Both are true. It's a shockingly unfunny pilot.

bartleby
08-20-2007, 09:55 AM
Both are true. It's a shockingly unfunny pilot.

Truth be told, I may have heard both those things from you. Although, I'm thinking I read it first on Televisionary.

LordKinbote
08-20-2007, 09:58 AM
I'd agree with you if not for one thing: they never put it on after American Idol. Shows put on after Idol has usually seen a major bump. It's even credited with saving 24 and House, two shows that you would never think would share the same audience as Idol.

-Steve!

You're incorrect. There were a few episodes that did air after American Idol, like the second Julia Louis Dreyfus episode. They experienced a bump, but a very minor one, relatively speaking.

BCD
08-20-2007, 09:58 AM

-Steve!

Why not? All three require little to no thinking.

Andrew j
08-20-2007, 10:01 AM
It had a great ending.

BClayMoore
08-20-2007, 10:02 AM
This was reported quite a while ago.

Bummer.

-BCM

bartleby
08-20-2007, 10:04 AM
This was reported quite a while ago.

Yeah, in the third post of this thread... :p

David Aspmo
08-20-2007, 10:06 AM
That's not quite the way I heard it. As I remember the leaked narrative of events (and I have no idea how first-hand this account was), Sorkin was holding out for ABC to keep the show until the last minute, because he really thought it had a chance to stay there. But in doing so, he made whatever exec at HBO that was in charge of these things feel like he was getting jerked around (and I guess he was never all that enthralled with the idea of picking up the leftover scraps of network television, so it didn't take much). So, when ABC finally did cancel the show, HBO's deal had been taken off the table.

I'm not following your point here, unless you're not aware that the first season of West Wing and the second season of SportsNight were on the same year. Thus, Sorkin was already tackling an office romance show with SN when WW started off.

David Aspmo

HoldFastNow
08-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Has anyone heard anything about a possible arrested development movie? i thought i heard talks of one after the show ended but then nothing since then...

bartleby
08-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Has anyone heard anything about a possible arrested development movie? i thought i heard talks of one after the show ended but then nothing since then...

Ask yourself: Does an ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT movie make any sense whatsoever?