PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Bendis' Sam and Twitch?

joespam
08-18-2007, 07:32 AM
What do folks think of the Bendis Sam and Twitch? I dig it, except for the really-tough-for-me-to read lettering style.

I picked these up monthly when they came out, and have also gotten the more recent trades. Monthly, they suffer a bit for seeming slow in pace for the month break between chapters, but like a lot of Bendis' stuff, the full story comes together brilliantly when read in one go.

So I'm confused when an article blog (and its comments) like this (http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/books/2007/08/tough_images_the_problems_of_g.html) says things like this:
he also worked on Sam and Twitch, a disappointing spin-off from Todd McFarlane's long-running Spawn. Sam and Twitch are two police detectives who live in a New York that is mostly grey, brown, or greyish brown. They sit and chat a lot. They don't get into many fights. It might as well be a radio play. This is the fate that all crime comics should fear.And from the comments:
To speak to the Sam and Twitch thing, though I never read Bendis' work on it, not even Bendis would ever be able to save that. Two very cardboard characters from a fairly silly "universe." Really, the same criticism can be leveled at Alias, it too really threatening to be a radio play sometimes.

However, unlike Sam and Twitch, Jessica was a great character and the style and format of the book was obviously built around Bendis' penchant for long dialogue scenes.And from the author again:
you're right, it might be better to have said 'visually interesting' or 'visually satisfying' as 'visually exciting'. And I knew that might be a contentious point, but I'll stick to it. In Sam & Twitch, for instance, one issue has four full pages of small alternating head-shots during an interrogation - and although the artists that various commenters have mentioned, like Chris Ware and Eddie Campbell, might prefer broody to fast-paced, they'd never be caught dead doing something as lazy as that. This is why Alex Maleev's art on Daredevil was so great - Bendis burdened him with a lot of (admittedly brilliant) long conversations, but there was barely a single panel of boring art.He seems to backpedal a bit by saying his problem is with talking heads, but I'm not clear still on the complaint.

James Patrick
08-18-2007, 07:52 AM
There's nothing wrong with B's Sam and Twitch. For every negative comment, you'll find 10 good ones. It's what attracted me to B's work, and a lot of others. Some people discovered Bendis at Marvel doing different types of stuff, and so when they go back and read that, or even read Alias, it's jut not their thing.

bartleby
08-18-2007, 08:02 AM
Some people discovered Bendis at Marvel doing different types of stuff, and so when they go back and read that, or even read Alias, it's jut not their thing.

Or people that read SPAWN and picked up SAM & TWITCH expecting it to be kewl.

Kefky
08-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Like anything the man's ever written, it just isn't for all tastes.

Adrian B AWESOME
08-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Sam & Twitch is fucking brilliant stuff, especially with some of the layouts and pacing.

Masculine Todd
08-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Like anything the man's ever written, it just isn't for all tastes.

Exactly. It's absurd and borderline ridiculous when people judge a prolific and versatile writer's entire bibliography by one or a marginalized segment of their work.

For the record, I haven't read Sam & Twitch, but Bendis' style is absolutely suited for realistic, character-driven crime stories. I will eventually get around to reading this.

TV Zombie
08-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Is this Collected in a TPB? Was a mini or a longer run?

I need details :-)

Michael Wagner
08-18-2007, 09:48 AM
The Sam and Twitch issue with Jinx and Hellspawn were my first exposure to Bendis. I loved them both.

TV Zombie
08-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Is this Collected in a TPB? Was a mini or a longer run?

I need details :-)

OK I see a Vol 1 (collecting 1-9 + extras) and a Volume 2 (collecting 10-19 + extras) for sale.

Is that it or are there more planned?

As a Bendis fan is this required reading? Or something I can pass on?

bartleby
08-18-2007, 10:02 AM
As a Bendis fan is this required reading? Or something I can pass on?

If you've already read JINX, TORSO, FIRE, FORTUNE & GLORY, and the entirety of POWERS and DAREDEVIL, I'd say that SAM & TWITCH should be the next thing you read.

Matt O'Keefe
08-18-2007, 10:55 AM
They sit and chat a lot. They don't get into many fights. It might as well be a radio play. This is the fate that all crime comics should fear.

Sounds great to me.

Sam Little
08-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Bendis' Sam and Twitch is fuckin' great. If you're a fan of his Jinx, Goldfish Alias, or Powers stuff I would definitely pick up the two trades. I'd never read it before the new editions of the trades came out and I loved it.

TheKraken
08-18-2007, 12:33 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed Sam & Twitch.

SCOURGE
08-18-2007, 12:51 PM
I think that it is an acquired taste thing. I read the first trade, while it wasn't really my cup of tea, a lot of other people really seem to dig it. It is the one and only thing that Brian has done over the years that I can truly say that I didn't enjoy (I have have read just about everything he has ever done). While I haven't always enjoyed everything he's done, Brian has always been able to entertain me on some level S&T is are rare exception. Like I said S&T in an acquired taste thing.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
08-18-2007, 01:18 PM
issue one was the first Bendis comic i'd read that i didn't enjoy

SCOURGE
08-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Out of curiosity, why didn't you enjoy it?

Jacob Lyon Goddard
08-18-2007, 01:30 PM
Out of curiosity, why didn't you enjoy it?

smelled kinda like a superhero comic, and i thought the art was just short of disgusting
all those lumpy, crosshatched people
and i general distaste for McFarlane's properties

remember, prior to this Brian spent many years working on just his crime comics and his Cleveland Plain Dealer stuff
writing a Spawn comic out of nowhere came as quite a shock

SCOURGE
08-18-2007, 01:52 PM
smelled kinda like a superhero comic, and i thought the art was just short of disgusting
all those lumpy, crosshatched people
and i general distaste for McFarlane's properties

remember, prior to this Brian spent many years working on just his crime comics and his Cleveland Plain Dealer stuff
writing a Spawn comic out of nowhere came as quite a shock

Yeah, I can understand that. I have a general dislike of most things Image. There are rare exception, but I can relate...

Jacob Lyon Goddard
08-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I can understand that. I have a general dislike of most things Image. There are rare exception, but I can relate...

i think the Jinx relaunch was the first Image comic i ever bought

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
08-18-2007, 08:19 PM
It's really good. I don't know what the hell they're talking about.