PDA

View Full Version : Favorite X-Men run/creators ever

Masculine Todd
08-16-2007, 03:16 PM
So I'm experiencing an X-Men kick lately.

What's your favorite era/creative team/run of X-Men? Go!

Dark Sasha
08-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Whedon/Cassaday

jason hissong
08-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Grant Morrison.

artimoff
08-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Claremont/Byrne/Cockrum/Smith

Team: Cyclops, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Wolverine with Banshee or Kitty.

Ryan F
08-16-2007, 03:26 PM
1. Claremont's first run (especially Claremont/Smith + the Asgardian crossover)
2. Morrison's New X-Men
3. Carey's making a solid pitch for #3 at the moment;
4. Whedon's also in the mix
5. Roy Thomas and Neal Adams

Alan Davis and Joe Kelly get honorable mentions for not sucking too hard during the 90s.

For other x-books:

1. Claremont's New Mutants
2. Alan Davis Excalibur
3. One (or both) of PAD's X-Factor runs
4. BKV's Mystique was criminally underrated
5. Joe Casey/Ladronn Cable surprised me

Caska
08-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Claremont and Silvestri/Outback era

NickT
08-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Current Astonishing or X-Factor.

xanderharris
08-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Whedon or Claremont (not current Claremont....80s Claremont)

HomerGator
08-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Roy Thomas/Neal Adams
Chris Claremont/Dave Cockrum
Chris Claremont/John Byrne
Chris Claremont/Paul Smith
Chris Claremont/Jim Lee
Fabian Nicieza/Andy Kubert
Scott Lobdell/Joe Madureira (SP)
Grant Morrison/Frank Quitely
Joss Whedon/John Cassaday

All of those were great for the X-Men, and for X-Factor:

Louise Simonson/Walt Simonson
Peter David/Larry Strohman (I can't remember the guys' name, he pencilled X-Factor starting with issue 71...)
Peter David/Joe Quesada

I also really dug Chris Claremont/Alan Davis on Excalibur, Fabian Nicieza/Greg Capullo on X-Force, and the Bill Sinkiewicz issues of New Mutants (I can't remember off the top of my head if he pencilled Claremont issues or Simonson).

Also, I think Mike Carey is fucking amazing, and I believe that if he had different pencillers to work with I would have him as my current favorite X-creator. The guy's just awesome.

Another current X-creator that is just crushing right now is Chris Yost on New X-Men. Yeah, he works with Craig Kyle, but I get the feeling that Yost does the heavy lifting on the book. Kyle's busy with the Marvel animated features.

Ed Brubaker is an amazing writer, and I really like his run on Uncanny, but Whedon, Carey, and Yost are really pushing my buttons the most right now.

Eric Williams
08-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Some of my favourite X-Men stuff has been fairly recent, actually.

Grant Morrison's New X-Men - I love how it challenged the stagnant status quo of the '90s and managed to introduce some very promising new ideas (Cassandra Nova/Mummudrai's, X-Corporation, mutant subculture, etc). Frank Quitely, Ethan Van Sciver, and Phil Jimenez also brought some stunning artwork to the equation.

Peter David's X-Factor - PAD knows these characters, and it's a pleasure to see him explore new ground with some of them, including Madrox, Quicksilver, and Monet, to start with. There's also some very strong story arcs being developed at the moment, and a genuine effort to work with such a poorly planned and executed concept as M-Day. Also, the art, whether it's courtesy of Ryan Sook, Denis Calero, or Pablo Raimondi, is just beautiful.

Mike Carey's X-Men - There's a great mix of old school and utter insanity in this book. Although the stories aren't the best in X-Men history, there's something very enthusiastic and intriguing that keeps me coming back for more. And despite his sometimes odd storytelling, I'm a huge sucker for Chris Bachalo's artwork.

There's also the default answer - Claremont in his prime on the title.

Jef UK
08-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Morrison and Quitely
Morrison and Jiminez
Claremont and Cockram
Claremont and Smith
Claremont and Byrne
Whedon and Cassaday

changingshades
08-16-2007, 04:12 PM
In very specific Order, and assuming you mean X-men not just random X-titles
Claremont Davis
Claremont Leonardi
Claremont Paul Smith
Claremont Byrne
Whedon Cassidy
Claremont JRjr
Brubaker Lee
Morrison various

joeAR
08-16-2007, 04:36 PM
125-142: Proteus, Dark Phoenix Saga, and Days of Future Past. Claremont and Byrne

162-175: The Brood, Morlocks, rumble with the New Mutants, Professor X is a jerk, Wolvie's wedding and the return of "Phoenix". Claremont and Paul Smith

176-210 or so: The Trial of Magneto, Mutant Massacre, Freedom Force. By Claremont and Silvestri

221, 222, 225-227 233-237: First Sinister, Fall of the Mutants, The Brood, and Genosha. Claremont and Silvestri.

274-277: The X-Men, Shiar, Magneto, Rogue, Nick Fury, Savage Land, Space. Claremont and Lee

New X-Men 114-116: Granted not a big fan of the majority of Morrison's run but I do love these first 3 issues. Morrison and Quietly

Astonishing X-Men: My personal favorite X-Men story of the past 16 years. Awesome stuff here, IMO. Whedon and Cassaday.

Patrick J
08-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Scott Lodbell during the Age of Apocalypse stuff. My favorite X-Men stuff ever. Still holds up over 10 years later. All of Lodbells other stuff with X-Men was kinda cliche', hackneyed and predictable.

Really loved Morrison's run for what it was.

JAK
08-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Whedon and Cassady.
Lots of other creators have done great work, but these two put the fuckin cherry on top. Took all that came before and birthed a new organic life for the characters

Happy Time Harry
08-16-2007, 04:58 PM
In this order...

Claremont/ JR JR (That's when I first started reading the title, so it holds a special place)
Whedon/Cassady (1st 6 issues)
Claremont/ Silvestri
Morrison/Quitley
Claremont/ Byrne PAD/Quesada (X-Factor Relaunch)
Claremont/Davis (Excalibur)
Claremont/Lee

joeAR
08-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Scott Lodbell during the Age of Apocalypse stuff. My favorite X-Men stuff ever. Still holds up over 10 years later. All of Lodbells other stuff with X-Men was kinda cliche', hackneyed and predictable.

Ah I forgot about the Age of Apocalypse. Really really good stuff. Especially Astonshing X-Men by Lobdell and Mad!

Supajoe
08-16-2007, 05:01 PM
claremont/davis
claremont/silvestri
claremont/byrne
claremont/smith
claremont/lee
morrison/quitely
seagle/bachalo

The Human Target
08-16-2007, 05:28 PM
The best one?

http://www.emeraldcitycomics.com/uploaded_images/newxmen-744637.jpg

Eric Williams
08-17-2007, 08:21 PM
The best one?

http://www.emeraldcitycomics.com/uploaded_images/newxmen-744637.jpg
Yep. This is when I first started getting into the X-books, and Morrison's run feels like THE era for me. Astonishing doesn't even hold a candle to the highlights of Morrison's run (E is for Extinction, Riot at Xavier's, Planet X), in my opinion.

hellblazer72
08-17-2007, 08:25 PM
claremont and silvestri
claremont and davis the just davis on excalibur
david and stroman on x-factor

/(. . )/
08-17-2007, 08:28 PM
you know what was a great run?

Francis/Pollina x-force

joeAR
08-17-2007, 08:29 PM

Francis/Pollina x-force

Oh if we're talking about books aside from Uncanny/X-men/Astonishing then X-force by Peter Milligan and Mike Allred. Such an amazing book.

Eric Williams
08-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Oh if we're talking about books aside from Uncanny/X-men/Astonishing then X-force by Peter Milligan and Mike Allred. Such an amazing book.
I've been searching for the trades for eons, because I've heard so much about their run. At this point, I might just cave in and see if Amazon has them.

Mister Mets
08-17-2007, 08:33 PM
Claremont/ Byrne

No other run comes close in terms of quality.

Masculine Todd
08-17-2007, 08:34 PM

Francis/Pollina x-force

Loeb and Pollina was also pretty cool. I'll never forget that on my 9th birthday, I had enough money to buy X-Force #50, where Domino and Cable have a badass battle against the rest of the members of X-Force who were brainwashed by Holocaust and Sebastian Shaw. One of the coolest comic fights ever.

joeAR
08-17-2007, 08:34 PM
I've been searching for the trades for eons, because I've heard so much about their run. At this point, I might just cave in and see if Amazon has them.

http://www.amazon.com/X-Force-New-Beginning-TPB/dp/078510819X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-6972931-2573561?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187411623&sr=8-1

Honestly such an amazing book. This along with Astonishing by Whedon and Cassaday are my favorite X-Books of the last 16 years.

joeAR
08-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Claremont/ Byrne

No other run comes close in terms of quality.

You just don't fuck with The Dark Phoenix Saga.

Eric Williams
08-17-2007, 08:36 PM
http://www.amazon.com/X-Force-New-Beginning-TPB/dp/078510819X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-6972931-2573561?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187411623&sr=8-1

Honestly such an amazing book. This along with Astonishing by Whedon and Cassaday are my favorite X-Books of the last 16 years.
:heart:
Awesome.

Masculine Todd
08-17-2007, 08:37 PM
You just don't fuck with The Dark Phoenix Saga.

I've never read it, nor any of Claremont's stuff, because of fear that the expositionary dialogue will hinder my enjoyment of it.

joeAR
08-17-2007, 08:38 PM
I've never read it, nor any of Claremont's stuff, because of fear that the expositionary dialogue will hinder my enjoyment of it.

You will be able to get past it. Trust me. Quite simply my personal favorite comic story ever.

joeAR
08-17-2007, 08:39 PM
:heart:
Awesome.

:thumb:

Masculine Todd
08-17-2007, 08:39 PM
You will be able to get past it. Trust me. Quite simply my personal favorite comic story ever.

I'm leaning toward getting the essetials, but again, that old-ish dialogue really kills comics for me.

Eric Williams
08-17-2007, 08:40 PM
I'm leaning toward getting the essetials, but again, that old-ish dialogue really kills comics for me.
It's always a bit clunky at first, but once you really sit down and get into it, it's not much of an issue. Worth a read, either way.

Jerome Gibbons
08-17-2007, 08:41 PM
I haven't read a lot of X-Men. It just ain't my thing. But of what I've read, Morrison's run definitely comes out on top.

Eric Williams
08-17-2007, 08:43 PM
I haven't read a lot of X-Men. It just ain't my thing. But of what I've read, Morrison's run definitely comes out on top.
I truly believe that it's this generation's Claremont run. It's just a shame that most of the components of Morrison's run have already been reversed. :no:

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
08-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Morrison and any freakin' artist he worked with. He and Quitely were quite the team, though.

People bitch, but Morrison took the comic out of the 90s story style put into motion by writers like Nicieza and Lobdell. It was great in the 90s, but I was so getting sick of Cable/Stryfe/Apocalypse/Legacy Virus/Jeans & Summers & Sinister bloodline stories.

I think the greatest thing Morrison did was convince everyone he was doing incredibly innovative stories when they were really rehashes with his own spin on them: Phoenix, Weapon X (Plus), Days of Future Past ("Tomorrow People"), not to mention the fact that his last storyline (before "Tomorrow People") was exactly like the storyline right before he came onto the book (with Mags starting a revolution, Xavier's body as his symbol, and a ragtag team of 3rd-rate X-Men fighting him right down to Wolvie skewering him. I personally think he was trying to see if he could do it without anyone catching on that he was just repeating Claremont stories, all the while stating publically that he was sick of people repeating Claremont stories. That might rub people the wrong way, but I thought it was brilliant, and the comic ended up entertaining for the first time in a long time.

I miss Morrison, and I hate that Whedon's run is kind of being treated like a mini (Whedon being the only other writer that I think has really taken the characters out of the 90s), secondary to the other titles, but I guess they have no choice with the rate at which those books are coming out. To me, the stuff that Bru and Carey are doing (while totally awesome) just feel to much like old X-Men.

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
08-17-2007, 08:55 PM
I truly believe that it's this generation's Claremont run. It's just a shame that most of the components of Morrison's run have already been reversed. :no:

It didn't take long either. The stuff Austen and Claremont did immediately after Morrison's run (like a month after) was like a big fuck you to his run. 2 Xorns? Magneto still alive? Cassandra Nova isn't Ernst? I was tearing my luscious curly hair out of my fucking head.

joeAR
08-17-2007, 08:56 PM
It didn't take long either. The stuff Austen and Claremont did immediately after Morrison's run (like a month after) was like a big fuck you to his run. 2 Xorns? Magneto still alive? Cassandra Nova isn't Ernst? I was tearing my luscious curly hair out of my fucking head.

To be fair those weren't neither Austin nor Claremont's decison. The editor's pretty much wanted people to forget Morrison's run immedietly and forced this upon Chris and Chuck.

Mark Mavro (kryptic6)
08-17-2007, 09:01 PM
To be fair those weren't neither Austin nor Claremont's decison. The editor's pretty much wanted people to forget Morrison's run immedietly and forced this upon Chris and Chuck.

True, this is definitely something I've heard. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to slander those two writers cuz I respect them immensely, it just sucks as a buyer to be so heavily invested in a run and then have it kind of mean nothing.

Reminds me of the Stormwatch Team Achilles book and how after collecting every issue of the run, DC wouldn't publish the last issue. They just made it seem like the comic never existed because of the whole Micah Wright fiasco, but the hole in my wallet said otherwise.

Eric Williams
08-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Yep, I'm not a huge fan of the editorial decisions that have been made over the past few years in the X-department. Thankfully, the books at least have some great creative teams on board at the moment.

Jerome Gibbons
08-17-2007, 09:07 PM
I think the greatest thing Morrison did was convince everyone he was doing incredibly innovative stories when they were really rehashes with his own spin on them

Yeah. He's said his run was basically his love letter to the Claremont years on Uncanny. It was like X-Men: Greatest Hits or something, complemented by a couple new ideas here and there.

changingshades
08-17-2007, 09:19 PM
The lack of New Mutants love makes me sad

Blake Sims
08-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Morrison/ Quitely. I wish so bad that Quitely drew all 40 issues of that run. It would have been so amazing.

Mike McNeely
08-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Every book that Claremont touched during his original tenure on the X-Men is gold. Even with that wonderful exposition.

Jordan K
08-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Loved the Morrison and Wheadon runs, and I am looking forward to reading the Brubaker, Carey, and Ellis runs.

Its funny cause really I don't follow the X Men comics, the Morrison run was the first X comic I had picked up since the 90s with Jim Lee. But I follow all of these writers so we will see how the comics are now when the HC annd TPS come out

JD
08-17-2007, 11:37 PM
I thought the late 90's team of Seagle/Kelly w/ Bachalo/Pacheco/Garcia run ahd the potential to be truly great but unfortunatley they clashed with Mark Powers and instead of comprimising left the books. They got stuck with a lot of baggage and lame characters and made it interesting instead of ignoring it. Cecilia Reyes remains my fave post-Claremont mutant.

Claremont/Cockrum-JRJR(Mutant Massacre); pick back up at Claremont/Lee...Piss off about your exposition complaints, fact is thats how editors expected comics to be written...and Claremont still made his comics a lot more readable than most...especially as he became comfortable with an artist...anyway, this run will always be the bar, no contest

Whedon/Cassady This is the love letter to X-fans and Claremont...Im gonna miss this team

Other X-Books:
Joe Kelly Deadpool...so much fun with a character I never thought could hold my interest in an on going

Steve Seagle Alpha Flight...I was never an AF fan so I didnt care about the changes he made, but I loved the mystery

Claremont/Miller/Bucema/Seinkiweitz Wolverine Mini; 1-10...my fave Wolvie stories

Claremont/Davis Excalibur...goofy book but always interesting

Peter David X-factor now and then....one of the few non- Claremont defining runs

Mike Carey has a shot at this list with his current run
JD

artimoff
08-17-2007, 11:49 PM
The lack of New Mutants love makes me sad

It was only great til about 35. That means that 2/3rds of it's run sucked. I did like the guice/baker run though.

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
08-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Claremont/Cockrum
Claremont/Byrne
Austen/Larroca
Austen/Garney
Claremont/Silvestri
Whedon/Cassaday

Mike McNeely
08-17-2007, 11:57 PM
I had no problem with the exposition. It's why I called it "wonderful".

changingshades
08-18-2007, 03:05 AM
It was only great til about 35. That means that 2/3rds of it's run sucked. I did like the guice/baker run though.

I say Claremont's run on the book was as good, if not better t han the stuff he was doing on X-Men at the time. I didn't start sucking until he left the book, which was issue 56 or so.

Georgie
08-18-2007, 05:00 AM
Claremont/Bryne is so fucking classic is has to be on the list.
As far as artists go, Jim Lee MADE the X-Men in the 1990s. Still my favorite versions of some of the characters (pretty much all but Wolverine. I still prefer brown/yellow)

But if I had to do my personal fave, it's gotta be Whedon/Cassaday. I can't remember a time when I've craved new issues of an X-Men title so badly. I feel like Whedon REALLY understands the characters and gives them life (with maybe the exception of Wolverine...He feels somewhat tacked onto the team after issue #1).

RebootedCorpse
08-18-2007, 05:48 AM
Morrison/Quitely
Byrne/Claremont
Thomas/Adams