PDA

View Full Version : DC's New Frontier Animated Movie Preview

Evan the Shaggy
08-06-2007, 05:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Hb_d5Qnts

Not too shabby. Wish they would have kept a couple of the old DCAU voices (Conroy as Batman for example.) but I'm digging it.

SteveZegers
08-06-2007, 05:16 AM
Looks great Would have been nice to see a little more of the actual movie animation, but so far, so good.

The Cheap-Arse Film Critic
08-06-2007, 05:18 AM
Bruce Timm looks really wierd shaven.

ThisSpaceForRent
08-06-2007, 05:33 AM
Paul Levitz just looks like a guy who would ruin the DCU.

dEnny!
08-06-2007, 05:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Hb_d5Qnts

Not too shabby. Wish they would have kept a couple of the old DCAU voices (Conroy as Batman for example.) but I'm digging it.

Looks great.

Very talented voice actors, could care less that Conroy isn't Batman.

Bill Nolan
08-06-2007, 05:50 AM
Seems unclear if they're going to keep much of the "America was very bad until Kennedy rode in on his white horse and saved us all for all eternity" theme, but there's no way they could have kept everything in or it would have been too long.

mayhemspider
08-06-2007, 05:56 AM
hopefully this will be better than the Ultimate Avengers crap. But it looks good so far. Lets hope it stays close to the story.

dEnny!
08-06-2007, 05:57 AM

He must be doing something right since he's the President of the company.

I'm not going to say he's not made some boneheaded decisions, but DC seems to be doing pretty well while he's been there.

And he LOOKS like a comic book guy. ;)

Paul Levitz (born 21 October 1956) is an American comic book writer, editor and executive. Currently the President of DC Comics, the oldest comics company in the United States, he has previously served as a writer, editor, vice president, and executive vice president at DC.

Levitz was born in Brooklyn, New York to Hannah and Alfred Levitz. He attended Stuyvesant High School during which time he co-wrote and published a popular comic fan magazine, "The Comic Reader." He later enrolled at New York University but left before graduating to work full time at DC Comics, where he had begun working during high school.

Since the mid 1970s, Levitz has been an integral part of DC. Along with publisher Jenette Kahn and managing editor Dick Giordano, he was responsible for the 1980s revitalizing of the company's entire line of heroes—such as Superman, Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman, the Justice League and Green Lantern. Others who played vital roles in the process were writers Marv Wolfman, John Byrne and Alan Moore, artists George Perez and Keith Giffen, and editor Karen Berger. Also, Marvel Comics' then editor-in-chief Jim Shooter, played an inadvertent role in the revitalization when he fired or alienated many important Marvel creators whom DC was delighted to pick up.

Levitz has also worked as an editor, most notably on the Batman line of comics. As a writer he is best-known for his work on the title The Legion of Super-Heroes, which he wrote off and on from 1974 until 1989. Of particular note are his collaborations with artists Michael Netzer (Nasser), James Sherman and Keith Giffen. He also wrote the Justice Society series in All Star Comics during the late 70's after Gerry Conway left the book. He was the co-creator of the Earth-2 Huntress with artist Joe Staton and of Lucien the Librarian with artist Nestor Redondo. Levitz recently returned to writing the JSA with issue #82 of JSA.

While he has sometimes provoked controversy — for example, an attempt to tone down sexual references in the title The Authority spawned a public fight with its then writer, Mark Millar — Levitz's reign at DC helped the company weather steeply declining sales for superhero comics in the late 1990s. Levitz was also instrumental in the push towards graphic novels and trade paperback collections, which could be sold in bookstores and have a longer shelf life than the traditional monthly pamphlet format.

Levitz married Jeanette Cusimano in 1980 and has three children, Nicole, Philip, and Garret. One of the characters he introduced to the Legion in his second run on the book, GiGi Cusimano, was named after his wife. He currently resides in Chappaqua, New York.

dEnny!
08-06-2007, 05:57 AM
hopefully this will be better than the Ultimate Avengers crap. But it looks good so far. Lets hope it stays close to the story.

I have high hopes since Darwyn Cooke has an active role in its production as does Bruce Timm, who's proven himself time and again.

Bill Nolan
08-06-2007, 05:58 AM
He must be doing something right since he's the President of the company.

I'm not going to say he's not made some boneheaded decisions, but DC seems to be doing pretty well while he's been there.

And he LOOKS like a comic book guy. ;)

And this video makes Dan Didio look like Levitz's Lex Luthor. The dichotomy is shocking.

JABSEN
Sisto is gonna be a great Batman

Lab-Rat
Looks great. I'm really excited for this.

mayhemspider
08-06-2007, 05:59 AM
I have high hopes since Darwyn Cooke has an active role in its production as does Bruce Timm, who's proven himself time and again.

Yeah, Timms involvement fills me with hope, but its too soon to upgrade from cautious optimism yet.

mayhemspider
08-06-2007, 06:00 AM
Sisto is gonna be a great Batman

what else has he done?

dEnny!
08-06-2007, 06:01 AM
Yeah, Timms involvement fills me with hope, but its too soon to upgrade from cautious optimism yet.

I'm wishing I could have picked up the other seasons of Batman The Animated Series; only got Season 1 when it was on sale at Best Buy.

dougmac
08-06-2007, 06:02 AM
And this video makes Dan Didio look like Levitz's Lex Luthor. The dichotomy is shocking.

that's dead on

mayhemspider
08-06-2007, 06:03 AM
I'm wishing I could have picked up the other seasons of Batman The Animated Series; only got Season 1 when it was on sale at Best Buy.
Thats ok, the first season is by a wide margin the best.

JABSEN
08-06-2007, 06:07 AM
what else has he done?He was in Six Feet Under.

mayhemspider
08-06-2007, 06:08 AM
He was in Six Feet Under.

You flatter me by assuming i can afford Shotime/HBO. :D

Jef UK
08-06-2007, 06:09 AM
Very talented voice actors, could care less that Conroy isn't Batman.

How much less could you care?

(Sorry. Pet-peeve. Must correct.)

JABSEN
08-06-2007, 06:14 AM
You flatter me by assuming i can afford Shotime/HBO. :DI never really watched Six Feet Under, I'm basing what I said more on his voice.

Oh and looking over IMDB, it looks like he;s done quite a bit of voice acting.

FredC
08-06-2007, 07:08 AM
I'm just wondering what reason they chose to not get Kevin Conroy to be Batman.

And, yeah, a bit pissed he's not Batman here.

WAKKAJAWAKKA
08-06-2007, 07:10 AM
Awesome. No Idea They Were Doing This.

Wayno.

abuddah
08-06-2007, 07:14 AM
I attended SDCC, This preview was met with loud applause almost everywhere, except when they show Sisto as Batman. Timm and co adressed this once the lights came up saying that we know you want Conroy, but you'll be blown away by his performance. We shall see....

I think this will be great, hopefully a big step up from Superman: Doomsday which was really sub-par.

Dark Sasha
08-06-2007, 07:15 AM
Nph!

modungo
08-06-2007, 07:19 AM
I attended SDCC, This preview was met with loud applause almost everywhere, except when they show Sisto as Batman. Timm and co adressed this once the lights came up saying that we know you want Conroy, but you'll be blown away by his performance. We shall see....

I think this will be great, hopefully a big step up from Superman: Doomsday which was really sub-par.

You've seen Superman: Doomsday? Without spoilers, what's wrong with it?

modungo
08-06-2007, 07:23 AM

Paul Levitz may have done some silly things(pissin' off Alan Moore, passing on Grant Morrisson 7 Mark Waid's Superman proposal) but he has mostly been a positive force. particularly in the 80's. It hard to imagine how different comics might be now if DC hadn't published alot of the things they did in the 80's and i'm pretty sure Levitz was in charge.

modungo
08-06-2007, 07:27 AM
Oh and this looks fantastic. I like that they're trying something different with the voices. I dig the regular ones but it helps to make the point that this is stand alone.

Doc Randy
08-06-2007, 07:43 AM
Seems unclear if they're going to keep much of the "America was very bad until Kennedy rode in on his white horse and saved us all for all eternity" theme...

That sure is a goofy reading of NEW FRONTIER.

Ben
08-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Looks good, but I didn't see any Martian Manhunter. Did that stuff get cut? The MM stuff was my favorite part of NF.

mayhemspider
08-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Looks good, but I didn't see any Martian Manhunter. Did that stuff get cut? The MM stuff was my favorite part of NF.

the clip i saw said the story focuses mainly on MM and Hal Jordan. Can't remember where i saw that now....

Yannick_B
08-06-2007, 07:54 AM
That sure is a goofy reading of NEW FRONTIER.

Well, the Justice League was truly fucked until he arrived on his rocket to make his inspirational speech.

Ben
08-06-2007, 07:58 AM
Well, the Justice League was truly fucked until he arrived on his rocket to make his inspirational speech.I can see you really approached this comic with the right attitude.

Yannick_B
08-06-2007, 08:01 AM
I can see you really approached this comic with the right attitude.

Well, it was really hard. The sheer volume of JFK scenes really bogged down the comic for me. I mean, JFK giving Hal his ring instead of Abin Sur? WTF?

Ben
08-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Well, it was really hard. The sheer volume of JFK scenes really bogged down the comic for me. I mean, JFK giving Hal his ring instead of Abin Sur? WTF?Did you understand the historical/nostalgic approach he was taking? Do you understand what Kennedy meant to the Baby Boomer generation?

Yannick_B
08-06-2007, 08:05 AM
I guess I didnt, but then again, I'm from Canada.

Ben
08-06-2007, 08:09 AM
I guess I didnt, but then again, I'm from Canada.Didn't take World History in high school?

Doc Randy
08-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Ben,

I think your sarcasm detector might be broken. I think Yannick was agreeing with me that the bnolan's comments about JFK were a bit absurd - as evidenced by Yannick's statement, "The sheer volume of JFK scenes really bogged down the comic for me. I mean, JFK giving Hal his ring instead of Abin Sur? WTF?":twisted:

Dark Sasha
08-06-2007, 08:19 AM

He was there.

Ben
08-06-2007, 08:22 AM
Ben,

I think your sarcasm detector might be broken. I think Yannick was agreeing with me that the bnolan's comments about JFK were a bit absurd - as evidenced by Yannick's statement, "The sheer volume of JFK scenes really bogged down the comic for me. I mean, JFK giving Hal his ring instead of Abin Sur? WTF?":twisted:You know, it is broken... I wasn't really paying attention to who you were posting with. The fact that I don't really remember the details of any non-Martian Manhunter scenes didn't help. Also, I'm high. Ooops!!

abuddah
08-06-2007, 08:27 AM
You've seen Superman: Doomsday? Without spoilers, what's wrong with it?

First let me get the the fan boy issue out of the way. They tweaked the Superman design again. Put the cheekbone lines back in again ala Justice League S1 and they still look horrible. Plus they give him a jutting chin similar to The Tick which also doesn't work.
OK onto the real criticism. DCAU voice casting has always been stellar, however Ann Heche as Lois Lane was so grating and distracting, it took me out of the movie several times. Balwdwin and Marsters do serviceable jobs as Supes and Lex, but I do miss Daly and Brown. The plot suffers under the 90 minute time constraint. There is no real chance to morn the man of steel. Metropolis also seems to be a Ghost town. We don't really get to see the people's reaction to the man of steel's death or to the fight in metropolis. There just seems to be abandoned buildings and cars and Lois and Jimmy. You might argue that this is done to keep violence @ a minimum. Not so. There is plenty of gratuitous violence here. In fact there's so much that it seems like it's just been put in just because they can and often seems inappropriate. There's also a real moral ambiguity in the final outcome that perplexed me. I won't say what it is but I left saying "Well why doesn't Superman just kill bizarro?" My reccomendation is to save your $ and buy Justice League season 2 and watch Hereafter. It's a far Superior death of Superman story. And if your looking for Doomsday, buy JLU season 1.

modungo
08-06-2007, 08:33 AM
First let me get the the fan boy issue out of the way. They tweaked the Superman design again. Put the cheekbone lines back in again ala Justice League S1 and they still look horrible. Plus they give him a jutting chin similar to The Tick which also doesn't work.
OK onto the real criticism. DCAU voice casting has always been stellar, however Ann Heche as Lois Lane was so grating and distracting, it took me out of the movie several times. Balwdwin and Marsters do serviceable jobs as Supes and Lex, but I do miss Daly and Brown. The plot suffers under the 90 minute time constraint. There is no real chance to morn the man of steel. Metropolis also seems to be a Ghost town. We don't really get to see the people's reaction to the man of steel's death or to the fight in metropolis. There just seems to be abandoned buildings and cars and Lois and Jimmy. You might argue that this is done to keep violence @ a minimum. Not so. There is plenty of gratuitous violence here. In fact there's so much that it seems like it's just been put in just because they can and often seems inappropriate. There's also a real moral ambiguity in the final outcome that perplexed me. I won't say what it is but I left saying "Well why doesn't Superman just kill bizarro?" My reccomendation is to save your $ and buy Justice League season 2 and watch Hereafter. It's a far Superior death of Superman story. And if your looking for Doomsday, buy JLU season 1.
Hereafter does rule. Way better than either of the comic book Death of Superman stories.
One of the reasons I was kind of perplexed by this movie is the had already done Doomsday so well on JLU. I'll probably still get it just cause I'm a sucker for Timm & co. and I bought Ultimate Avengers so it can't possibly be worse than that.

Bill Nolan
08-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Ben,

I think your sarcasm detector might be broken. I think Yannick was agreeing with me that the bnolan's comments about JFK were a bit absurd - as evidenced by Yannick's statement, "The sheer volume of JFK scenes really bogged down the comic for me. I mean, JFK giving Hal his ring instead of Abin Sur? WTF?":twisted:

Perhaps a little absurd to make a point, but you must admit that the book, which I like btw, has a main theme which is that America in the 1950s was "bad" and in the 1960s was "good." It's a simplistic view of the country written by an outsider with very obvious political leanings. That's not a bad thing, either, it's just very heavy-handed at times in NF. The book ignores the positive aspects of 1950s America society and the negative aspects of 1960s society in order to tell a specific story. It's a highly-charged political piece. It's very well done, but it's definitely not light, escapist entertainment some might expect from these specific characters.

Ben
08-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Perhaps a little absurd to make a point, but you must admit that the book, which I like btw, has a main theme which is that America in the 1950s was "bad" and in the 1960s was "good." It's a simplistic view of the country written by an outsider with very obvious political leanings. That's not a bad thing, either, it's just very heavy-handed at times in NF. The book ignores the positive aspects of 1950s America society and the negative aspects of 1960s society in order to tell a specific story. It's a highly-charged politic piece. It's very well done, but it's definitely not light, escapist entertainment some might expect from these specific characters.You're not being sarcastic are you?

It's not supposed to be a history lesson! It's nostalgia! I grew up watching 50s-bad/60s-good stuff written by Baby Boomers. That's how it's done! That was the perception by that generation!

Bill Nolan
08-06-2007, 08:53 AM
You're not being sarcastic are you?

It's not supposed to be a history lesson! It's nostalgia! I grew up watching 50s-bad/60s-good stuff written by Baby Boomers. That's how it's done! That was the perception by that generation!

Nope, not sarcastic. Has senility really set in for that poor, failed, lost generation so early?

Doc Randy
08-06-2007, 08:56 AM
Perhaps a little absurd to make a point, but you must admit that the book, which I like btw, has a main theme which is that America in the 1950s was "bad" and in the 1960s was "good." It's a simplistic view of the country written by an outsider with very obvious political leanings. That's not a bad thing, either, it's just very heavy-handed at times in NF. The book ignores the positive aspects of 1950s America society and the negative aspects of 1960s society in order to tell a specific story. It's a highly-charged politic piece. It's very well done, but it's definitely not light, escapist entertainment some might expect from these specific characters.

I couldn't disagree more.

The book examines the post-war malaise of the United States. It was a country experiencing massive growth and progress, but also starting to directly confront the demons and contradictions of its past.

The book never said the 60s were all good. Heck... the book doesn't really comment on the 60s at all. In fact, the book is almost exclusively in the 50s. The books ends with Eisenhower still as the President. The title of the book and the speech at the end from Kennedy come from Kennedy's acceptance speech at the 1960 Democratic Convention. Kennedy hadn't even been elected yet.

The book can be summed up by these words from that speech:

We stand at the edge of a New Frontier—the frontier of unfulfilled hopes and dreams. It will deal with unsolved problems of peace and war, unconquered pockets of ignorance and prejudice, unanswered questions of poverty and surplus.

He is simply saying that America was starting to examine and address some serious issues that hadn't been fully addressed yet.

GrandeMaestro FĂĽnke
08-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Glad the animation isn't looking too much like JLU.

Also is it just me or does Darwyn Cooke look like Toby from the office?

arthurloewenkamp
08-06-2007, 09:04 AM
NPH as the flash, awesome.

Bill Nolan
08-06-2007, 09:05 AM
He is simply saying that America was starting to examine and address some serious issues that hadn't been fully addressed yet.

Fair enough. I just find the book to be a bit too heavy-handed at times. That may be related to my belief that Mr. Cooke, while a great artist, is only an OK cartoonist whose art often puts an artificial shine on stories which aren't quite as polished as they could be in the hands of a more capable writer.

Bill Nolan
08-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Glad the animation isn't looking too much like JLU.

When I met him he reminded me quite a bit of William H. Macy's character from Fargo. Perhaps because he was trying to politely explain why he doesn't do free con sketches any more (eBay flippers) while barely holding his exasperation about the situation in check. I don't see it in this video, tho'.

JBElliott
08-06-2007, 09:23 AM
WOW! Looks great! Now if only WB would let those guys work on the live action DC superhero movies . . .

Brandon191
08-06-2007, 10:14 AM
I guess I didnt, but then again, I'm from Canada.

So is Darwyn Cooke. :wink:

Simps
08-06-2007, 10:58 AM

One of my friends from school emailed out a link, with this attached:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/600dollarbananasuit/cooke.jpg

Colby
08-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Angel, Xena, Barney, Brenda's crazy brother, and some guy ARE the JUSTICE LEAGUE!

Darkhawk Fan
08-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Angel, Xena, Barney, Brenda's crazy brother, and some guy ARE the JUSTICE LEAGUE!

They should've gone with Nathon Fillion instead of David Boreanz as the voice of Hal. But who knows, Angel did kick ass as the voice of Leon in Kingdom Hearts 1...only to be replaced in KH2.

Ben
08-06-2007, 11:23 AM
They should've gone with Nathon Fillion instead of David Boreanz as the voice of Hal. But who knows, Angel did kick ass as the voice of Leon in Kingdom Hearts 1...only to be replaced in KH2.If they cast Fillion, the movie would've gotten canceled halfway into it!

Amedeo
08-06-2007, 11:28 AM
One of my friends from school emailed out a link, with this attached:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/600dollarbananasuit/cooke.jpg

Now which one has been acting Skrully.....