PDA

View Full Version : ROME Season 2 - Only 10 Episodes

dEnny!
08-03-2007, 08:35 AM
That's pretty lame, especially for the cost of an HBO Box Set. :frustrat:

Taxman
08-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Production costs on that show were supposed to be off the scale.

Garth
08-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Yup and it is the same price as the first season, if memory serves. I need to look for both, though. Are they worth a blind-buy?

dEnny!
08-03-2007, 08:39 AM
Yup and it is the same price as the first season, if memory serves. I need to look for both, though. Are they worth a blind-buy?

I really enjoyed Season 1 and was debating on buying Season 2 since it is $50 at Amazon right now.

dEnny!
08-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Production costs on that show were supposed to be off the scale.

Sounds like they needed a budget officer. Each episode is costing me as much as renting a full length feature film.

Fourthman
08-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Season 2 was better, IMHO, but no single episode beats the Gladiator fight.

SteveZegers
08-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Yeah, that's why I didn't buy them. Just too damned expensive.

dEnny!
08-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Yeah, that's why I didn't buy them. Just too damned expensive.

I got Season 1 for $45, which I felt was a good price considering the cost of similar TV shows like The Sopranos.

Taxman
08-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Sounds like they needed a budget officer.Aren't you one of the guys who says that people should not complain about comics missing their schedule?

Humphrey_Lee
08-03-2007, 08:47 AM

Uh, yes. I've seen maybe only 3 or 4 TV shows better than it, and I'm close to 100 box sets by now. :)

Garth
08-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Uh, yes. I've seen maybe only 3 or 4 TV shows better than it, and I'm close to 100 box sets by now. :)

Awesome, I am gonna pick them up then! (once I sell a kidney to afford it...or ya know...donate a couple times, like I mentioned in that SAT thread a couple days ago). Just out of curiosity, what shows have you deemed better?

Simps
08-03-2007, 08:51 AM
I really enjoyed Season 1 and was debating on buying Season 2 since it is $50 at Amazon right now.
Best Buy, Circuit City, and Target all have it for $50 next week, and you even get a $5 gift card with it at Target.

JHickman
08-03-2007, 09:08 AM

You should get both - it's amazing. BUT - cutting season II to ten episodes really hurts the stroytelling in the last 3 episodes. There was just too much to cover.

Best series in a long while though.

It's beautiful and the language is amazing.

JoeE
08-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Rome for only five bucks an episode is an absolute steal. Buy.

Garth
08-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Best Buy, Circuit City, and Target all have it for $50 next week, and you even get a $5 gift card with it at Target.

next week starting on sunday? or what?

ClintP
08-03-2007, 09:14 AM

Yes, but I enjoyed renting the first season with blockbuster online. But if I was buying dvds and found that one cheap, I would so get it.

Garth
08-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Yes, but I enjoyed renting the first season with blockbuster online. But if I was buying dvds and found that one cheap, I would so get it.

shameless plug ;-)

ClintP
08-03-2007, 09:18 AM
shameless plug ;-)

How so? I don't work for BB.

dEnny!
08-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Aren't you one of the guys who says that people should not complain about comics missing their schedule?

Is that the same thing?

Comics shipping late don't impact me as I buy way too much (though I'm looking to cut down).

A better thing to throw in my face is how I will stand up for comic companies raising their prices to stay in business and that a superior product is worth the cost.

dEnny!
08-03-2007, 09:23 AM

I was thinking about using my Amazon gift certificates, but an extra $5 gift card from Target might be worth it so I can buy another movie.

Garth
08-03-2007, 09:25 AM
How so? I don't work for BB.

I know, I was just teasing. It just seemed funny that instead of saying you rented it and enjoyed it you enjoyed the rental from Blockbuster Online.

Taxman
08-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Is that the same thing?I think it is similar in that a common defense of late comics is that it takes the additional time to get the artistic quality being out put. Production cost on Rome are so high because of the focus on artistic reproduction of the historical period. In either case the the effort to remedy the perceived problem might restrain the artistic position.

In your case it seems you are not concerned with schedules primarily because you are not reading things when they are released anyway, I guess.

This discussion actually stared because I misread your first post. I read "set" rather than "box set". I thought that you were talking about the sound stages in Italy. Thus, my initial comment was regarding why the show was ended, not justifying the relative cost of the product. I can agree with a complaint of paying the same price for reduced content. As always though, one has the option getting it from the library, or a service such as Netflix, or just not watch it.

Taxman
08-03-2007, 09:41 AM
I know, I was just teasing. It just seemed funny that instead of saying you rented it and enjoyed it you enjoyed the rental from Blockbuster Online.I rented the first season from a Blockbuster store under the online exchange program.

dEnny!
08-03-2007, 09:45 AM
I think it is similar in that a common defense of late comics is that it takes the additional time to get the artistic quality being out put. Production cost on Rome are so high because of the focus on artistic reproduction of the historical period. In either case the the effort to remedy the perceived problem might restrain the artistic position.

In your case it seems you are not concerned with schedules primarily because you are not reading things when they are released anyway, I guess.

This discussion actually stared because I misread your first post. I read "set" rather than "box set". I thought that you were talking about the sound stages in Italy. Thus, my initial comment was regarding why the show was ended, not justifying the relative cost of the product. I can agree with a complaint of paying the same price for reduced content. As always though, one has the option getting it from the library, or a service such as Netflix, or just not watch it.

Yeah, I really need to start utilizing the library.

I was sad to hear they are only doing two seasons; thought this show had a lot of potential.

I definitely want to watch it, a Netflix membership isn't worthwhile for me as I don't think I'd fully use it to justify the cost and I definitely wouldn't want to rent it for the same cost as owning it you know. At least I can then loan it out to friends.

It just seems a somewhat reduced price is in order due to it's abbreviated season.

Simps
08-03-2007, 10:18 AM
It just seems a somewhat reduced price is in order due to it's abbreviated season.
It's the same number of discs, which is what HBO Home Video is going to be more concerned with when pricing it.

Jonny Z
08-03-2007, 10:21 AM

amazon has it up for $50 right now- no tax and free shipping

Garth
08-03-2007, 10:25 AM

That is a good price...or you could just buy it bundled with the first season for 179.89? Who the hell did the pricing on that one?! 90 bux-a-season???? lol! Still want to know about when Target's sale goes live, as I have a 50 dollar g/c I would like to use. Did you see it in an ad or something, Simpson?

Simps
08-03-2007, 10:44 AM
But then I'd have to wait another 4 or 5 days to receive it. No way, I don't own Season 1 either, so I'll be able to pick up both for $100 + tax on Tuesday.

And yeah, the sale doesn't start until next week when it's released, according to the ad someone posted.

Jonny Z
08-03-2007, 10:59 AM
But then I'd have to wait another 4 or 5 days to receive it. No way, I don't own Season 1 either, so I'll be able to pick up both for $100 + tax on Tuesday.

And yeah, the sale doesn't start until next week when it's released, according to the ad someone posted.

I have amazon prime so i usually get stuff on the day it's released :cool:

Humphrey_Lee
08-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Awesome, I am gonna pick them up then! (once I sell a kidney to afford it...or ya know...donate a couple times, like I mentioned in that SAT thread a couple days ago). Just out of curiosity, what shows have you deemed better?

Next week when Season 2 comes out, you should be able to by both at Best Buy for $100 plus tax. Both should be $50 a pop.

Cheers.

Simps
08-03-2007, 11:16 AM
I have amazon prime so i usually get stuff on the day it's released :cool:
Sorry we're not all as rich as you. I'll just have to send my lowly butler over to Best Buy first thing in the morning.

Garth
08-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Next week when Season 2 comes out, you should be able to by both at Best Buy for $100 plus tax. Both should be $50 a pop.

Cheers.

Lovely, thanks!

Sorry we're not all as rich as you. I'll just have to send my lowly butler over to Best Buy first thing in the morning.

I usually buy dvds on release date, also. Probably alot more then I should, just because they tend to be on sale for those first couple of days or so, before skyrocketing up in price.

ClintP
08-03-2007, 11:45 AM

This post was funnier than it should have been. I think the new avatar and title worked in it's favor!

Garth
08-03-2007, 11:48 AM
This post was funnier than it should have been. I think the new avatar and title worked in it's favor!

Hah, true, I didn't pick up on that till you mentioned it.

Thudpucker
08-03-2007, 12:35 PM
It's worth it, season 2 was some of the best TV ever made.

Thudpucker
08-03-2007, 12:38 PM

oo, that's what I''l do. Target has the Cooler for 5.50, I've been wanting to see that movie.

dEnny!
08-03-2007, 05:23 PM

Sadly, since there is a distribution center in Kentucky I do have to pay tax. :(

artimoff
08-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Sounds like they needed a budget officer. Each episode is costing me as much as renting a full length feature film.

I doubt you'ld find 10 features you'ld enjoy as much as Rome.