PDA

View Full Version : My final thoughts on SDCC 07.

Pat Loika
07-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Hell of a show.

It's the first time we've exhibited as Dial R Studios, and to say that it was a successful outing is an understatement. For one thing, we've sold out all of our alloted stock of Pantheon books at the show, and we had to use some of the books we were saving for Wizard World Chicago.

Despite what a lot of people say, this show is all about comics. The smallest of small press can come here and be successful, and there were hundreds of them all over the show. The programming kicked ass, too.

To everyone who stopped by the booth to chat, buy stuff, or just hang out, thank you. This is probably my most successful convention outing...and I owe it to you guys.

I had the pleasure of seeing a lot of great people over the weekend. There's way too many, actually. If I forget your name, I apologize, my brain's fried.

To those I can actually remember off the top of my head...

Ernie PCS - Welcome to San Diego, man. You're living in a good part of town, so you shouldn't have any problems in the city. We'll do something soon.

Ben - You're one of the funniest motherfuckers I've met here, and it's great to finally put a face to the name.

Albert - Good seeing you again, man. Always great to run into you at a panel.

Ethan Van Sciver - Thanks for the sketchbook, sir. I'm looking forward to seeing you again in a few days!

Sean McKeever - I saw you all too briefly this time, I hope you didn't find any condoms in your bedroom...

Mike Norton - I really didn't recognize you. Did Azzarello punch you in the gut yet? :)

Jamie Rich - It's not a con unless I run into Jamie Rich...and we point at each other. Thanks for facilitating the Joelle Jones sketch.

Professor Oreo - Great seeing you again, thanks for handing me one of those sample packets again. LOVE the new sculptures.

Tibbitz & David Aspmo - Always a pleasure to see you guys.

CB Cebulski - Great chatting with you, as always. I look forward to seeing more of the Chesterquest.

Len Wallace - Did you ever find Tracy Rogers?

Steve Flack - Good to see your vacation went well. If you ever need help with the hotel stuff again, let me know.

Gaspar - Good to finally meet you, I hope you liked the sketch, too.

Chris Moreno - Nice to see you're adjusting well after the move. LOVED flipping through your portfolio. Congrats again on the WWH: Frontline gig. The first one was hilarious!

Pia Guerra - Great seeing you at the bar, though it was too brief. That bar's way too loud and cramped...

Brian Reed - I almost didn't recognize you with the hair.

Ramtower - Good seeing you again, Rich!

Jon Hickman - A pleasure to finally meet you, thanks for showing me those PAX ROMANA pages. They are gorgeous!

Matt Fraction - I never got a chance to get you to sign the Casanova hardcover, but it was at least good to chat with you for a little bit. You doing any other cons this year?

Sackhead - Nice meeting you, man. You should post more often!

Philip Clark - Congrats on the successful CAG panel. Good seeing you, and it's unfortunate you, Jim, and Dave weren't able to play for a bit.

Corey - Thanks for stopping by and picking up our books! Enjoy, and it was a pleasure to meet you.

M. Sean McManus - I hate you! You ruined my life! :lol:

Tony Fleecs - I wish we got to hang out more, there some stuff I wanted to show you. I still need you to sign my copy of Postcards.

John/Comicbookink - I know you didn't take home the Eisner, but at least the nomination was there. I'll see you in Seattle next year?

Mario Boon - Hope you had a good trip, man. You should come back next year!

Christian Beranek - I don't care what you say, you're STILL the master of the 'deer in front of the headlights' look. See you in Chicago!

Adam Beranek - We need to find you an opponent for Chicago, and fast!

Alex Maleev - I hope the Ethiopian place was to your liking. Thanks for the kickass sketch, too. Have fun in Europe!

David Mack - The Shy Creatures turned out really good. I can't wait for my copy to arrive. It was good seeing you, as always.

Mike Oeming - Good seeing you again, bro. Sorry again for missing out on the Thursday stuff. Hopefully we'll be able to hang out more in Chicago.

Ed Brubaker - Congrats on the Eisners! Criminal deserved it, you deserved it. Thanks for coming down, and for putting out all these great books.

Jim McCann - Thanks for stopping by the booth, thanks for putting together some fun panels. It looks like you had a good time, too.

Jen Grunwald - So what color IS your hair, exactly? Good seeing you again.

Taki - Great seeing you again, it was too brief. I hope the show was fun for you. See you in Chicago!

Bendis - Thanks for coming down, and for doing some fun panels. Thanks also for continuing to put out some of the best comics I've ever read. Oh and 'fook' you. :)

Phil Hester - It was great hanging out with you last Saturday. And please, don't worry about the commission. I can wait. See you in Chicago! :)

Ande Parks - You were probably the most stylish guy I've run into over the weekend. I really did dig the hat, you'll have to hit me up on where I can get it. See you in a few days!

Andy Kuhn - Good seeing you here, looking forward to reading more Firebreather from you and Phil.

Taxman/Beep Beep! - Happy to see you both. You guys should start a Roadrunner gallery...that Maleev piece was amazing.

DrMachine - Good to see you, and the wife again, sir. I hope you had a good time.

John 'sonnylarue' Siuntres - I'm glad you were able to come out for the weekend. Even happier to hear you do the Harry Caray voice live. Heh heh. See you in a few days!

Batmanbooyah - John, you're a crazy motherfucker. Good to see you again, and we really, really need to find a way to run into each other more often.

Mikie - Mike, thanks for all the help leading up to the show. I hope all the meetings went well, too. I'll get you my script soon...

GeniusJ - Jim, I'm sorry I never got to sketch in your kids' sketchbook. I'll make up for it next year...or sooner. Thanks for the help with the booth, too. I'm still amazed at how far we got from a year ago...

CitizenDave - Dave...it was great having you in town. Love watching you work, too. Your art never ceases to amaze me. In fact, having you, Chris, and Tim in the booth makes me want to push myself even further as an artist. See you in a few days...

MAZEhimself - Chris, brother, it's finally over. After months of prepping and stressing out, we finally got through the show. Thanks for all the hard work you've put in, I'm sure everyone in the crew will echo this: it would've fallen apart without you.

Thanks again, everyone, for making this my best con experience yet!

P.

Christian Beranek
07-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Rock and double rock. Chicago will be balls forward, for sure.

Albert
07-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Yay for all of us!

Pat rules!

Michael Blacklist
07-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Pat rules!

He does! I got to meet him while I was waiting in line for Jeph Loeb... sorry I never got to swing by the booth!

gaspar
07-30-2007, 09:53 PM
Gaspar - Good to finally meet you, I hope you liked the sketch, too.

Good to meet you too! I had a blast! The Cookie Monster was excellent, and even more importantly, my brother liked it :) Thanks for hooking me up. Hope to see you again at future cons. Y'all hitting WWTX this year?

PhilipClark
07-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Philip Clark - Congrats on the successful CAG panel. Good seeing you, and it's unfortunate you, Jim, and Dave weren't able to play for a bit.

You guys going to NYCC? Let's make it happen.

BTW, Terry Moore is down for a jam, in theory.

Pat, congratulations on the success of the Dial-R booth. I really want to interview all of you. And I think y'all will be instrumental with CAG/SD. I have a coordinator; all you have to do is show up.

SteveFlack
07-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Pat is my hero.

-Steve!

Andy Kuhn
07-30-2007, 11:29 PM
pat.
it was great to see you again. somebody in this thread already mentioned it, but, you do indeed rule! now get back to work and STOP THAT CONGA LINE!!!

TonyFleecs
07-30-2007, 11:44 PM
You're the man Pat. Always great to see you.

Keep that Postcards on you & I'll knock out a sketch when next we meet.

comicbookink
07-31-2007, 05:22 AM
Your genuine kindness always precedes you, sir!

We had a great time...met a LOT of incredible people...helped Marvel beat DC in Softball again...and had a great time at the Eisners with the "two Joes" as well as being there to give Ed "never going to win/my wife made me come to this" Brubaker a hard time and numerous pats on the back as well as congratulations.

But...seeing you...was, and will always be, one of the highlights.

As far as the Eisner win goes? EARTH-2 totally deserved to win! They are great folks at a great shop!!

Next year...there is always next year and another chance to see you.

(here's hoping you, AND DIAL R STUDIOS, make it to Seattle)

KingMob
07-31-2007, 05:31 AM
you know what comes up on the 9th right?

big AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaYy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

TV Zombie
07-31-2007, 06:56 AM
Wow congrats Pat, after reading that it makes me want to make an even bigger push to get a booth next year. I think I was able to convince my creative team to get a small press booth next year. Hopefully I can whore out posting in here for the next year so people know me so that I can get some traffic next year.

Again congrats it's always good to hear some success stories.

Taki Soma
07-31-2007, 07:02 AM
word Pat, very short visit but it was great seeing you for 3 seconds ;)

MAZEhimself
07-31-2007, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the kind words! I just have one thing to say as a reply:

GARBAGE DAY!!!

Pat Loika
07-31-2007, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the kind words! I just have one thing to say as a reply:

GARBAGE DAY!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/PatLoika/57599-tiny.jpg
"Nyahahahahahaha!"

Taxman
07-31-2007, 07:32 AM
I never get to meet ramtower. :(

Sackhead
07-31-2007, 07:58 AM
It was good to meet you, too. Thanks for all the stories.

Pat Loika
07-31-2007, 09:45 AM
I never get to meet ramtower. :(

He's usually seen shadowing Brian Reed. He is a mysterious fellow.

Oeming
07-31-2007, 09:58 AM
Chicago will be much easier to hang out and commune with everyone!! Cant wait!!!

sonnylarue
07-31-2007, 10:03 AM
always a pleasure, Dude.

PhilipClark
07-31-2007, 10:05 AM
As far as the Eisner win goes? EARTH-2 totally deserved to win! They are great folks at a great shop!!

I have to disagree with you on this one. The Comic Bug continued to do business last year, even after their shop was destroyed by a fire. I think Mike and Jun's tenacity to stay in business should have earned them that award. I know a lot of folks who would have just thrown their hands up and given up. I truly feel like their "spirit" was superior to any of the other shops nominated.

Corey
07-31-2007, 10:08 AM
Corey - Thanks for stopping by and picking up our books! Enjoy, and it was a pleasure to meet you.

I'm impressed you remembered since it must've been within the first hour the Con was open on Saturday that I stopped by. It was great to meet you, as well! Thank you for the books! Looking forward to reading them.

Now on to serious matters: Did I win the wii???

Pat Loika
07-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Also, I had WAY too many people I don't know come up to me asking me about the conga line story from last week...

P.

Ben
07-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Also, I had WAY too many people I don't know come up to me asking me about the conga line story from last week...

P.Like how they could get involved in one?

Corey
07-31-2007, 10:25 AM
A conga line should've been done through the entire floor. That would've been amazing!

jason hissong
07-31-2007, 10:26 AM
Chicago will be much easier to hang out and commune with everyone!! Cant wait!!!

What's interesting that you'll have at your booth?

KingMob
07-31-2007, 10:28 AM
What's interesting that you'll have at your booth?

probably arm wrestling.

Taxman
07-31-2007, 11:21 AM
He's usually seen shadowing Brian Reed. He is a mysterious fellow.I stalked Reed 'til I was able to force him to talk to me. ramtower was nowhere to be found though. That is the most disappointing part. :(

Jim McCann
07-31-2007, 12:46 PM
Pat,

Great booth, man! I'm so glad to hear that you did well. This was the first con that I got to really walk through the indy press area and check out what's happening and you guys really had one of the best booths in the area-- you should be proud.

See you in Chicago!
Jim

citizenDave
07-31-2007, 03:47 PM
Pat, what can I say, brother? If it wasn't for you and Chris we never would have been able to pull this thing off. Thanks for the place to crash on Wednesday, thanks for all the hard work, thanks for being so welcoming and a perfect representative for your city, and thanks for being such a great friend. This was the best con yet for me and you're a big part of that.

Next target acquired: Chicago!

MAZEhimself
07-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Pat, what can I say, brother? If it wasn't for you and Chris we never would have been able to pull this thing off. Thanks for the place to crash on Wednesday, thanks for all the hard work, thanks for being so welcoming and a perfect representative for your city, and thanks for being such a great friend. This was the best con yet for me and you're a big part of that.

Next target acquired: Chicago!
Dave...I just want to say that "you're the BEST...AROUND..." :cool:

citizenDave
07-31-2007, 04:14 PM
Dave...I just want to say that "you're the BEST...AROUND..." :cool:

"OH MY GAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWD!!!"

Jamie S. Rich
08-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Good seeing you, too. I wish I had a better head for this stuff these days, but I just find them so hard (and crowds so psychologically daunting), I feel I barely get to talk to anybody. Glad we connected ever so briefly.

Adam Beranek
08-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Word!!!!

comicbookink
08-01-2007, 11:39 AM
I have to disagree with you on this one. The Comic Bug continued to do business last year, even after their shop was destroyed by a fire. I think Mike and Jun's tenacity to stay in business should have earned them that award. I know a lot of folks who would have just thrown their hands up and given up. I truly feel like their "spirit" was superior to any of the other shops nominated.

I think they did a phenomenal job as well!! But, speaking from a shop that was buried behind construction (including scaffolding and a yellow debris container that blocked our shop for five months)...then forced to move completely across town to another location just before the construction was finished...I applaud the Comic Bug AND Atomic Comics (for their car through the shop/flood). Every shop nominated has been through that kind of adversity and I KNOW in my heart of hearts that Comic Bug will be nominated again and win soon!

PhilipClark
08-01-2007, 12:08 PM
I think they did a phenomenal job as well!! But, speaking from a shop that was buried behind construction (including scaffolding and a yellow debris container that blocked our shop for five months)...then forced to move completely across town to another location just before the construction was finished...I applaud the Comic Bug AND Atomic Comics (for their car through the shop/flood). Every shop nominated has been through that kind of adversity and I KNOW in my heart of hearts that Comic Bug will be nominated again and win soon!

Wow, now that I think about it, you're right. Who's going around trashing all the shops :-P

Looks like The Bug will be moving back to their old location soon as well.

mario
08-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Yo Pat!
I got back safe after my fifteen hour flight (seem to have lost tuesday somewhere)
great meeting you and I'll definitely will be back when I strike it big. Should be in a year or two :)