PDA

View Full Version : Edward Norton is now WRITING "The Incredible Hulk"!

Dan McLellan
07-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Certainly a step up from Zack Penn. Didn't know he gave a shit about comics.

ED NORTON KNOWS THE HULK INSIDE AND OUT
By Russ Fischer

Just finished the Iron Man roundtables -- full transcriptions will be up soon -- but I wanted to quickly clarify what's up with Ed Norton writing The Hulk.

The dirt paraphrased from Marvel Studios producer Kevin Feige goes like this: Zack Penn wrote a few drafts that were great starting material, and that when Ed Norton came on board he started suggesting ideas as a fan of the character. Eventually, Feige asked if he wanted to just write the script, which Norton did. So in addition to being Bruce Banner and performing whatever mocap or percap will be used to make the Hulk, his name will be riding high as screenwriter.

Take all this as you will. Or more specifically, take it to mean that Norton's participation was contingent upon writing the script. We'll see how this turns out. At least his Hulk is green.

nick maynard
07-28-2007, 07:37 PM

well, not writing alone.

Jerome Gibbons
07-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Eh?

Dan McLellan
07-28-2007, 07:43 PM
well, not writing alone.

Is he writing with Penn? Or a new writer?

Magnum V.I.
07-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Eh?

Like Favreau writing Iron Man.

InBendiswetrust
07-28-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm so confused!!! I think they want to win an oscar with this movie.

Simps
07-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Sounds like he did a polish, which wouldn't be new for him.

EDIT: Oh wow, sounds like we'll see a legitimate "Screenplay by" credit. Good for him, I'll be really interested to see what his take was.

Dark Sasha
07-28-2007, 07:48 PM
What has he written before?

The Zevad
07-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Link please.

The Hodag
07-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Weird.

On an instinctive level, I kind of like this.

Simps
07-28-2007, 07:55 PM
From http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6100

Edward Norton rewrote the screenplay and both he and Letterier talked about the influence of the "Hulk" TV show and the performance by Bill Bixby. Liv Tyler also said that she was a fan of the TV show because of the "humanity and what the man is going through." She was drawn to the love story between Bruce and Betty.

After they showed a concept sketch of the direction they're going for, which looked similar to the previous version but with longer, mussed-up hair, Edward Norton told everyone why he was interested in the project "I came into this and wrote the screenplay. I was a Marvel kid. I had subscriptions to a lot of Marvel comics. I loved the early incarnation of the Hulk and then the television show, and then in later years, where they took it in the Bruce Jones Return of the Monster series. I always felt like it was like one of those great contemporary myths. Comes right out of the tradition of Greek mythology, notion of suppression of your inner demon. Initial idea of starting from scratch and reconceiving the story as a mythic saga was really appealing to me and I liked the idea of the lonely fugitive aspect of it."

Norton will be playing both parts of it, which makes one assume he'll be doing some sort of performance capture.

It was mentioned that in this story, they're looking for a cure for Banner.

Hurd on the new direction of the movie: "We have a great character story to tell in the tradition of the Hunchback and Frankenstein. We have a terrific misunderstood character at the heart of it. We have the technology now to have the Hulk come to life. We're very confident in Rhythm and Hues and Kurt Williams as our visual effects supervisor, that we're going to bring the humanity."

When asked whether there'll be a new origin story in the movie and whether it'll be based on the television show version, Norton replied, "I'd say two things about that. I don't even like the phrase origin story and I don't think in great literature and great films, that explaining the roots of the story doesn't mean it comes in the beginning."

He wasn't into the idea of doing an origin, rushing though it to get to the heart of the film. With that in mind, the origin will probably spool out over the course of the story rather than be at the beginning. It won't be completely based on the TV series, though, but spun together from all different versions of the Hulk.

InBendiswetrust
07-28-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm so interested to see if Tyler Durden writes this.

thatguyfromsyracuse
07-28-2007, 08:27 PM
I....I really don't know how I feel about this. Call me forgetful, but has Edward Norton actually ever written a movie before? I'm not saying he can't, I just don't want this to turn into some kind of "ego" movie (if that makes any sense at all.) I really like Norton, this just seems odd...

The Hodag
07-28-2007, 08:35 PM

Edward Norton rewrote the screenplay and both he and Letterier talked about the influence of the "Hulk" TV show and the performance by Bill Bixby. Liv Tyler also said that she was a fan of the TV show because of the "humanity and what the man is going through." She was drawn to the love story between Bruce and Betty.

After they showed a concept sketch of the direction they're going for, which looked similar to the previous version but with longer, mussed-up hair, Edward Norton told everyone why he was interested in the project "I came into this and wrote the screenplay. I was a Marvel kid. I had subscriptions to a lot of Marvel comics. I loved the early incarnation of the Hulk and then the television show, and then in later years, where they took it in the Bruce Jones Return of the Monster series. I always felt like it was like one of those great contemporary myths. Comes right out of the tradition of Greek mythology, notion of suppression of your inner demon. Initial idea of starting from scratch and reconceiving the story as a mythic saga was really appealing to me and I liked the idea of the lonely fugitive aspect of it."

Norton will be playing both parts of it, which makes one assume he'll be doing some sort of performance capture.

It was mentioned that in this story, they're looking for a cure for Banner.

Hurd on the new direction of the movie: "We have a great character story to tell in the tradition of the Hunchback and Frankenstein. We have a terrific misunderstood character at the heart of it. We have the technology now to have the Hulk come to life. We're very confident in Rhythm and Hues and Kurt Williams as our visual effects supervisor, that we're going to bring the humanity."

When asked whether there'll be a new origin story in the movie and whether it'll be based on the television show version, Norton replied, "I'd say two things about that. I don't even like the phrase origin story and I don't think in great literature and great films, that explaining the roots of the story doesn't mean it comes in the beginning."

He wasn't into the idea of doing an origin, rushing though it to get to the heart of the film. With that in mind, the origin will probably spool out over the course of the story rather than be at the beginning. It won't be completely based on the TV series, though, but spun together from all different versions of the Hulk.

This gives me hope. The TV show obviously had its faults, but at its best it was surprisingly affecting. Ang Lee's movie was about as affecting as a cold fish.

If Norton's channeling the TV show plus early Hulk comics plus the (hopefully) better aspects of Bruce Jones' run, the movie sounds way up my alley. Here's hoping...

Kingsumo
07-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Fuckin Rad.

I am pretty confident it cannot be worse then the last attempt, and I am really interested to see Norton's take on the charecter.

I wonder if we will see things like the Hulk curb stomp someone, or use lines like "You do not talk about the Gamma Project." :lol:

The Hodag
07-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Fuckin Rad.

I am pretty confident it cannot be worse then the last attempt, and I am really interested to see Norton's take on the charecter.

I wonder if we will see things like the Hulk curb stomp someone, or use lines like "You do not talk about the Gamma Project." :lol:

How 'bout a take on his 25th Hour soliloquy?

"Fuck the Hulkbusters. Bunch of S.H.I.E.L.D. reject bullies, probably beat their kids with a belt 'cause they couldn't catch the Hulk for the umpteenth time. Fuck the mutants! Emo shits with no more worth than their doe-eyed faces on a Hot Topic t-shirt for some middle class white kid. You're oppressed because you can shoot lasers from your eyes? Bullshit! Pick some cotton in a baking sun all day, find out what real oppression is. And fuck the Avengers! Smug in their tower, wait for some villain to take a dump on New York - and THEN they go into action?! Assholes, try some preventative maintenance..."

Modok Gas
07-28-2007, 08:53 PM
... We have the technology now to have the Hulk come to life. We're very confident in Rhythm and Hues and Kurt Williams as our visual effects supervisor, that we're going to bring the humanity."...

So basically, ILM is surrendering their computer model to Rhythm & Hues? What has that company done lately? My only association of them is with the old Coke polar bear commercials. Hulk ice-skating with Betty would be cool.

Jerome Gibbons
07-28-2007, 08:58 PM
I hope the Hulk kills a bunch of people and eats a live dog.

Matt Jay
07-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Going off the commentary in Fight Club, Norton sounds like a very intelligent guy, but a writer? I don't know. This is weird.

nick maynard
07-28-2007, 09:11 PM
I hope the Hulk kills a bunch of people and eats a live dog.

people would hate it but I would LOVE it.

thatguyfromsyracuse
07-28-2007, 09:13 PM
people would hate it but I would LOVE it.

Hmmm, I don't even know you, but I'm going to say yes. That fits for some reason. :)

bartleby
07-28-2007, 09:59 PM
It's not too surprising as Ed Norton has a bit of a reputation for steering projects in the direction he wants.

Magnum V.I.
07-28-2007, 10:00 PM
It's not too surprising as Ed Norton has a bit of a reputation for steering projects in the direction he wants.

Except for The Italian Job...:nonono2:

nick maynard
07-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Hmmm, I don't even know you, but I'm going to say yes. That fits for some reason. :)

haha, nice. :)

Simps
07-28-2007, 10:14 PM
Going off the commentary in Fight Club, Norton sounds like a very intelligent guy, but a writer? I don't know. This is weird.
He's had a number of uncredited writing gigs in the past.

Bedlam66
07-28-2007, 10:29 PM
How 'bout a take on his 25th Hour soliloquy?

"Fuck the Hulkbusters. Bunch of S.H.I.E.L.D. reject bullies, probably beat their kids with a belt 'cause they couldn't catch the Hulk for the umpteenth time. Fuck the mutants! Emo shits with no more worth than their doe-eyed faces on a Hot Topic t-shirt for some middle class white kid. You're oppressed because you can shoot lasers from your eyes? Bullshit! Pick some cotton in a baking sun all day, find out what real oppression is. And fuck the Avengers! Smug in their tower, wait for some villain to take a dump on New York - and THEN they go into action?! Assholes, try some preventative maintenance..."

Where is that from? it's Awesome.

The Hodag
07-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Where is that from? it's Awesome.

Thanks. That was just me doing a Marvel riff on Norton's incendiary soliloquy in the excellent movie, The 25th Hour. It's a Spike Lee flick based on a book, and I don't know if that scene was in the novel but it certainly reminded me of the scene in Do the Right Thing where all the ethnic cliques go off on each other.

Here's the 25th Hour scene I was tributing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyhw8Z1cZ-c&mode=related&search=

Taxman
07-28-2007, 11:25 PM
The weirdest thing about it is that when they announced him as the writer, there was really no reaction of any kind. I have not been following anything to do with this film at all and just assumed it was common knowledge that Norton was the writer prior to reading this thread.

Ryan Elliott
07-29-2007, 02:34 AM
Huh. Cool.

A.Huerta
07-29-2007, 02:42 AM
People hated the first movie (not enough smashing) but its funny, when Norton was describing the direction he went with the new movie he said he wants to flesh out the origin/demon within aspect. :lol:

And the Hulk looks more like Savage Hulk fom the comics.

Joe Kalicki
07-29-2007, 03:41 AM
Huh. I figured Norton just wanted a paycheck with this one. Only really acting half a role. . .

Guess not.

Hate_Prime
07-29-2007, 03:55 AM
Hope he can write as good as he acts.

Joe Kalicki
07-29-2007, 04:52 AM
Hope he can write as good as he acts.

And better than he directs.

silverboy
07-29-2007, 05:54 AM
Except for The Italian Job...:nonono2:

I liked that movie...

Joe Kalicki
07-29-2007, 05:55 AM
I liked that movie...

But Norton didn't.

Gecko
07-29-2007, 07:15 AM
I'd take the writing of Edward Norton over Zak Penn any day.

Thank god someone's going in there to make some sense out of that.

ZombieSpeedball
07-29-2007, 07:20 AM
Are we gonna see the Hulk curbstomp the Abomination? Because if so, I want to buy my ticket now.

I think this should go well. I mean, why wouldn't it?

Brian Defferding
07-29-2007, 07:24 AM
This gives me hope. The TV show obviously had its faults, but at its best it was surprisingly affecting. Ang Lee's movie was about as affecting as a cold fish.

If Norton's channeling the TV show plus early Hulk comics plus the (hopefully) better aspects of Bruce Jones' run, the movie sounds way up my alley. Here's hoping...

I agree. As a kid I loved the Incredible Hulk parts of it, but as an adult I really appreciate how they portrayed Banner's character.

Looking forward to seeing all of this.

JAK
07-29-2007, 07:45 AM
Norton has had a hand in the script for several flics, almost all of them uncredited-
Down in the Valley, The Score, Fight Club, Frida...
there may be 1 or 2 others that I'm missing, and surely shit I don't know aboot.
The news that he's involved in the thing acting-wise is good news, but that he is involved to the degree of shaping the story and working on the script is even better news for HULK fans, IMO.

Joe Kalicki
07-29-2007, 07:46 AM
Oh, that's right, he did do a draft of Frida.

bartleby
07-29-2007, 08:10 AM
Norton has had a hand in the script for several flics, almost all of them uncredited-
Down in the Valley, The Score, Fight Club, Frida...
there may be 1 or 2 others that I'm missing, and surely shit I don't know aboot.

The big one would be AMERICAN HISTORY X, which Norton basically wrestled away from director Tony Kaye.

Garra
07-29-2007, 09:06 AM
The big one would be AMERICAN HISTORY X, which Norton basically wrestled away from director Tony Kaye.

One of the best movies I have ever seen, and certainly Nortons best movie. The man was brilliant.

Norton being more involved on this I have no doubt will be a very good thing.

I just saw something the other day where he was being interviewed and he was all talking about Daredevil and stuff. He was pretty damn knowledgable, I had not realized till this interview that he was a fan of comics.

Scotty
07-29-2007, 09:19 AM
I've always heard that Ed Norton likes to play with scripts anyways. So this isn't a surprise.

moonspider
07-29-2007, 09:40 AM
weird.......guess i'll hafta see how it develops

InBendiswetrust
07-29-2007, 10:54 AM
I will say this:
At least Ed is into this movie enough to even write part of it. not like tobey maguire who didn't even read the comic book until like half way through the first movie. The nice thing is Ed won't be like Nic Cage and fuck it up completely, I hope.

bartleby
07-29-2007, 10:59 AM
I will say this:
At least Ed is into this movie enough to even write part of it. not like tobey maguire who didn't even read the comic book until like half way through the first movie.

I don't know how Tobey Maguire not having ready comics could have had any effect on the movie.

Gecko
07-29-2007, 11:00 AM
I don't know how Tobey Maguire not having ready comics could have had any effect on the movie.

I typically prefer when they haven't read the comics.

Most of the ones that claim to, weren't the best of actors, writers nor directors.

WillieLee
07-29-2007, 11:05 AM

It would have no effect but it gives people something to bitch about.

bartleby
07-29-2007, 11:20 AM
It would have no effect but it gives people something to bitch about.

Yeah, if Tobey Maguire had read the comic books, I'm sure he would have insisted on Peter Parker building webshooters.

JAK
07-29-2007, 12:44 PM
The nice thing is Ed won't be like Nic Cage and fuck it up completely, I hope.

Edward Norton is also much more of a character actor- seems to apply intelligence as well as instinct to his performances, inhabiting or feeling out a role. He's a much more skilled actor than Cage.

Whereas Nic Cage is Nic Cage in nearly any movie (save for a few, very few)-and that is not a good thing. His choices seem less organic and more indulgent- kind of "this is how I"M gonna play this character" as opposed to "this is who the character is".

Mylazycat
07-29-2007, 01:10 PM

Yes, I was going to say I could have sworn he insisted on or did re-writes of American History X to make the lead character morte of a bastard and steer the film:

away from a happy ending.

Mylazycat
07-29-2007, 01:12 PM

ha! You beat me to it.

Mylazycat
07-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Edward Norton is also much more of a character actor- seems to apply intelligence as well as instinct to his performances, inhabiting or feeling out a role. He's a much more skilled actor than Cage.

From what I've read of him in interviews Norton comes across as very intelligent and not the least bit interested in being a movie star. He's stated several times he chooses roles based on quality and the character rather than how much it will gross. Him and John Cusak both seem to have that mindset and this is why I always get interested in any movie either makes. Both have the good looks to go the Tom Cruise route but choose grittier roles. I have a lot of respect for guys like that.

You could put Ralph Fiennes among them though he seems to take the odd Hollywood film, if only to make the money to get by and do the indie stuff without worrying about it. He can probably live off Harry Potter for years.

Matt Jay
07-30-2007, 06:15 AM
I am concerned that Norton likes the Bruce Jones stuff. That stuff to me is remniscent of what didn't work in the first movie. All in the execution I guess.

WAKKAJAWAKKA
07-30-2007, 06:19 AM
Neato.

Wayno.

JoeE
07-30-2007, 06:52 AM
Quite frankly, Zak Penn is not batting high on Marvel scripts, even if X2 was a great movie. This can only be good news.

Cth
07-30-2007, 07:49 AM
http://www.sylvainbureau.com/hulk_test_2007b.jpg

niceguyeddie
07-31-2007, 11:47 AM
this is pretty gosh darn interesting.

Cth
07-31-2007, 11:49 AM
http://stevesimsartstudio.candmlimo.com/images/Hero/TIH.jpg

PS - This is a fan manip with the new head

Ryan Elliott
07-31-2007, 11:50 AM
He looks good.

Cth
07-31-2007, 11:51 AM
And another:

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1892/comparemw2.jpg

Ryan Elliott
07-31-2007, 11:54 AM
That lighter one looks great.

Matt Jay
07-31-2007, 12:02 PM
That lighter one looks great.

It's downright frightening. I love it.

bobinskil
08-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Sounds good.

Icaruss
08-03-2007, 08:35 PM
With what he said on ComicCon, it sounded more like he was polishing it more than actually writing.

dEnny!
08-04-2007, 04:04 AM
I'm hoping a trend is happening in Hollywood where they realize the story is key, not just putting out another "superhero" movie that should gross tons of money.

That is where comics went wrong in the 90's a focus on flash instead of substance. Thinking the characters will just sell themselves.

Without a great story people won't want to see and these movies will flop.

Cth
08-06-2007, 06:28 AM
With what he said on ComicCon, it sounded more like he was polishing it more than actually writing.

TRANSCRIPT:

SAN DIEGO -- Filming on The Incredible Hulk just began two weeks ago, but, because there's not another Comic-Con International between now and the movie's release, Marvel Studios pulled out as many stops as it could for its presentation on Saturday.

After finishing shooting at 7 a.m. in Toronto on Saturday, director Louis Leterrier then hopped on a plane for San Diego. He was joined by actors Edward Norton and Liv Tyler and producers Gale Anne Hurd, Avi Arad and Kevin Feige.

Because it's so early in production, no footage was available, but Marvel did provide a quick glimpse at a character concept for the Hulk, which was quickly posted on youtube.com

Below is an edited transcription of the question-and-answer from the panel:

Question: How does this film fit in with first Hulk movie?

Feige: Well, I think today we'll just officially clarify that question and say this is a part one, this is the beginning of a whole new Hulk saga.

Question: Why another big-screen Hulk?

Feige: Because he's the Hulk!

Hurd: We have a Hulk who is not going to be three different sizes in this movie. I think everyone will be very happy about that.

Question: Louis, I understand growing up in France, you were a fan of the live-action Bill Bixby series. Could you comment on that?

Leterrier: In France, we didn't have Marvel comic books. We had French comic books and Tintin and stuff like that. So my first exposure to the Hulk was the Bill Bixby/Lou Ferrigno TV show. I guess, like a lot of you guys, I loved it. And that's what really attracted me to this project. When I first met them, I told them, "If you want me to do the Hulk, I'd love to go back to the TV show origin, to have the TV show feel."

Question: Edward, I understand you're contributing more than acting in the film. Can you talk about what else you're bringing to the project?

Norton: You're making me be immodest. I came into this and wrote the screenplay.

I was a Marvel kid. I had subscriptions to a lot of the Marvel comics. You remember when they came in the plastic wrap with the little piece of scotch tape on them? So I loved Hulk, the early incarnation of the Hulk, and the television show when I was a kid. And then in later years, I really liked where they took it in the "Return of the Moster" seris and the Bruce Jones series. I thought those were, the writing and the graphics, really contemporary.

I always felt like it was one of those great contemporary myths. It comes right out of the tradition of almost like Greek mythology, this notion of this supression of your inner demon. So the whole idea when I started talking with Kevin and Louis of starting from scratch and reconceiving the story as a mythic saga was really appealing to me.

I think lots of stories get re-told. We made a film of The Painted Veil that came out last year and that was the fourth film that's been made out of that one novella. To me, something that has had as many incarnations as the Hulk has and is as rich a story as the Hulk has with limitless potential, to re-make it, to reconceive it...

A lot of people were giving me funny looks when I told them I was really interested in doing it, but I thought it was an amazing opportunity to put our hands on one of the really classic modern mythologies.

And take it seriously. When Kevin, Louis and I were first talking about the TV show, sometimes it gets relegated. People say, "Oh, Ferrigno and the green paint and the 70s kitsch..." But when you watch that show, it really doesn't talk down to the idea of the story. It takes it very seriously. And Bill Bixby, when you watch him acting in it, he's really amazing in it. He brings this incredible, lonely pathos to the character.

That was what drew me to it, this idea of a mortal person at war with this thing inside of me, sort of the lonely fugitive aspect to it.

Question: Liv, Betty Ross, what's your take on yoru character?

Tyler: I haven't actually started filming officially yet so I'm a little behind the group, but I was a huge fan of the TV show when I was a little girl. I used to watch it with my mother all the time. Like Edward was saying, there was so much humanity to it and something so great about what this man was growing through. I just feel really excited to be a part of this. And I am interested and draw to this love story these two people share, that she sees something in Bruce that no one else sees and believes in him in a way that no one else does.

And in this story, we're basically looking for a cure for him.

Question: For Gale and Avi, you've both done these big action films. And with Transformers, it kind started a new era of CG and visual effects. How will you push the envelop with Hulk now?

Hurd: First and foremost, as Edward and Louis and Liv have talked about, we have a great story to tell. In the tradtion of the Hunchback of Notre Dame and Frankenstein, we have a terrific misunderstood character at the heart of it. We have the technology now, as you very briefly saw, to have Hulk come to life. And we're very confident in Rhythm and Hues and the great team we have with Kurt Williams as our visual effect supervisor that we're going to bring the humanity as well as all the action in the film to life.

Arad: I agree with her completely.

Question: Edward, you've play roles with dual qualities before. What are the challenges and process with this one?

Norton: I don't mean to make this sound funny, but making an effects-driven movie is a different sort of a thing for me. I've made a lot of low-fi tough characters, but I haven't done something that involves the interface between acting and effects that this does.

I think one of the things that actually sold it on me kind of early... one of the first questions I asked Kevin and Dave Maisel and other people at Marvel was, once the Hulk pops out or once the other half of this characters emerge, does that take me out the picture as an actor?

And as Gale was implying, there's a whole new set of technologies that have really only come online in the last six months that change completely the degree to which an actor can interfece with the animation that goes into animation a character's face digitally. That was really interesting to me because the notion of not having these two characters be split by me and then a technologically created character, but getting to play both halves of it was really a big part of me deciding I had something to bring to it.

Question: How does it feel to be playing the Hulk?

Norton: It's kind of an honor and it's kind of hilarious and exciting. I will say, you make a choice to do something like that and you kind of have that feeling like, you know, you're going to have to run it by your friends eventually.

And I was really, really surprised. There were certain people in my life that I thought I would say, (in soft tone) "I'm going to do The Incredible Hulk" and I was shocked at how excited people in my life who I had know idea like the Hulk were. I have one friend, she's a really soft-spoken environmental lawyer, very cerebral, very intense. And when I told, she almost started crying, she was so excited. She was like, "Oh, my God! That was my favorite, favorite super-hero!"

It sounds like a lark in the beginning, but then you start realizing there's a big responsibility with it. People are invested in this character and in this story and the spirit of it. And it goes from being a whim to being something that you've got to start making sure you take it seriously and bring all the stuff you bring into every other film into it.

Question: How did you approach and prepare for this?

Tyler: I'm always growing and learning from every experience, but I definitely approach everything in a really new kind of way.

Question: Are you going with the TV show origin or more of a comic-book origin?

Norton: I think two things about that. I don't ever like the phrase even, "origin story," because I think that sometimes seems to imply that you begin at the beginning. I don't think in great literature or great films that explaining the roots or the history in the story necessarily comes at the beginning. Or in a multiple-part saga, that you get all of it the first time out.

I think the arc of telling a story well is answering those questions and explaining those histories but not necessarily just by front-loading all of it. And if there's something that I've tended to wish that was done better sometimes in these movies is that I always don't want them to race through that origin and get through it and then get on to the story. Because it just seems like obligatory, like you're hustling through it.

One thing Louis and I talked about when we were sitting down to re-approach this as a script was let's grapple with what our own version of the history in this story is, but spool it out in an artful way throughout the story. I don't think we really wanted to go into a lot of detail about certain things, but I certainly wouldn't say this film is rooted in the television show at all.

We've had a deep exploration of the Bruce Jones series and Hulk: Gray and a lot of different incarnations of Hulk that all have a lot to offer. The fun in this was not to remake anything, but to just spin our own sort of fantasy of the interface between all these things.

I will say there are many characters that have nothing to do with the television show but are deeply rooted in the comic, like Leonard Samson and other characters like that, are a part of this. So anyone who's familiar with the books will definitely find it rooted in those as well.

Question: Louis, you want to touch on the comic-book roots as well?

Leterrier: Edward and I, we really love the Bruce Jones series, "Return of the Monster." It was really, for me, a fix of the show and the comic books, the old and new. I just don't think that you guys, because you know the comic books so well and the TV show so well, that you want to see a film version of the comic book. Edward scratched his head very hard to come up with a very original story.

A regular movie has 150 scenes. Our movie has 350 scenes. So you really have a lot of understand of who this character is and what he's been through -- and where he's been because we're pretty much shooting all around the world.

Norton: Part of the fun of this for me was, if you read Marvel comics, there's all these great tropes that weaves through all the comics. There's the whole the Super Soldier serum history with Captain America, and part of the fun of this was reference other parts of the Marvel Universe in creative ways.

And the way I looked at this in terms of writing it was any time Marvel goes to a Bruce Jones or a new writer or a new editor, they come up with their own spin on all these things. They re-tweak the way that things are connected. That's the fun of it, coming up with our generation's spin on these things, making it relate to our experiences and our taking on things.

Question: I'm a huge fan of the TV series, and will there be a dedication to Bill Bixby in the credits?

Feige: There will definitely be respect to Bill Bixby, absolutely.

Norton: In one form or another.

Leterrier: And look for lots of Easter Eggs and homages. You know, homage is French for stealing from American films!

Gecko
08-06-2007, 06:51 AM

Certainly is a huge step up from ZAK who is nothing but a hack living off of favors.

bartleby
08-06-2007, 06:53 AM
Certainly is a huge step up from ZAK who is nothing but a hack living off of favors.

You should just put something about how much you hate Zak Penn in your signature, so you don't have to keep mentioning it in every relevant thread.

mayhemspider
08-06-2007, 07:43 AM
now this has me excited! i fucking love norton! Hopefully it has more in line with the early stages of the Return of the Monster storyline, and not so much the conveluted and confusing last 3 quarters. I would also love to see some Azzarello's Banner work its way into the movie as an influence.