PDA

View Full Version : I know three women who stayed home Saturday night to read Harry Potter

Evan Wiener
07-23-2007, 12:02 PM
NO SPOILERS in this thread!

Ok, I know three friends of my wife who stayed home to read Harry Potter all weekend. I am happy to say I called them all nerds, and I have superhero stuff all over my home office. I don't think I ever stayed home on a Saturday night to read a comic book or trade paperback, and I'm the "geek." :)

This is so going to be material for my comic strip about everyone being a nerd about something.

And apparently, Harry Potter fandom can be a big chick magnet? :)

Jerome Gibbons
07-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Man, I've stayed home on a Saturday just so's I could read something so many times.

Gregory
07-23-2007, 12:13 PM
The cute, 25ish, black, female airport gate attendant completely destroyed the stereotype of the adult Potter reader for me. She talked to me about the book and her plans to borrow it from her sister-in-law. The airports were filled with people carrying and reading the Potter books.

I'm halfway through. I'd love to be stay home from work tomorrow and finish the book.

jenifu
07-23-2007, 12:40 PM
I bought the book Friday/Saturday, picked up a giant Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee on the way home, and camped out in my living room from 3:00a.m. to 8:30a.m. until I finished them both.

Then I crawled into bed, woke Travis up, and handed off the book - which he finished during the day while I slept off my own nerd bender.

It was GLORIOUS.

HUZZAH!

Evan Wiener
07-23-2007, 12:50 PM
The cute, 25ish, black, female airport gate attendant completely destroyed the stereotype of the adult Potter reader for me. She talked to me about the book and her plans to borrow it from her sister-in-law. The airports were filled with people carrying and reading the Potter books.

I'm halfway through. I'd love to be stay home from work tomorrow and finish the book.

That same description can be applied to my wife's assistant, who went apeshit for the Transformers movie, and shattered that stereotypical demographic for that movie. I was floored and thrilled. ;)

Evan Wiener
07-23-2007, 12:51 PM
I bought the book Friday/Saturday, picked up a giant Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee on the way home, and camped out in my living room from 3:00a.m. to 8:30a.m. until I finished them both.

Then I crawled into bed, woke Travis up, and handed off the book - which he finished during the day while I slept off my own nerd bender.

It was GLORIOUS.

HUZZAH!

Oh man, I am stealing "nerd bender" and using it, if that's cool? That is brilliant!

adam_warlock_2099
07-23-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm guilty of it, with comics. Can't remember any particular example, but I know I've done it.

Jonny Z
07-23-2007, 12:57 PM

It was GLORIOUS.

HUZZAH!

you read it in 5 and a half hours? you are faaaaaaaaast.

I got home at 2 AM friday night and i got 29 pages in and passed out, i was so tired (caffeine doesn't really do much for me). so i woke up saturday around 11 and read on and off all day until i finished at about 3 AM saturday night.

so yeah, i stayed home saturday too to read :) i see nothing wrong with it. i go out on week nights quite frequently, so there's nothing wrong with staying in on a weekend.

Evan Wiener
07-23-2007, 12:59 PM

I got home at 2 AM friday night and i got 29 pages in and passed out, i was so tired (caffeine doesn't really do much for me). so i woke up saturday around 11 and read on and off all day until i finished at about 3 AM saturday night.

so yeah, i stayed home saturday too to read :) i see nothing wrong with it. i go out on week nights quite frequently, so there's nothing wrong with staying in on a weekend.

I never meant anything was wrong with it, but it floored me how many cute women in their 20s are all over this thing.

jenifu
07-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Oh man, I am stealing "nerd bender" and using it, if that's cool? That is brilliant!

ha!
feel free. :)

jenifu
07-23-2007, 01:18 PM

i have to say - the reading pace was more frenetic than enjoyable, at that point. i was just determined to find out how it ended before anyone could accidentally spoil it for me, for better or for worse.

when i finally staggered to bed in the morning, i looked more strung-out than a fucking heroin addict. big bags under my eyes, pasty (which is a feat, considering my normal skin color), dehydrated - i even had the shakes from all the freaking caffeine.

SEX-AY!!!

artimoff
07-23-2007, 01:20 PM

It was GLORIOUS.

HUZZAH!

Reading/Sleeping in shifts? how cute.

Joe Henderson
I finished in 11 hours, reading fairly fast but never so fast that I didn't enjoy myself.

Jonny Z
i have to say - the reading pace was more frenetic than enjoyable, at that point. i was just determined to find out how it ended before anyone could accidentally spoil it for me, for better or for worse.

when i finally staggered to bed in the morning, i looked more strung-out than a fucking heroin addict. big bags under my eyes, pasty (which is a feat, considering my normal skin color), dehydrated - i even had the shakes from all the freaking caffeine.

SEX-AY!!!
hahaha

i spent most of last week basically exiled from the internet, radio, and TV. i was determined not to be spoiled and i was so glad that i wasn't. it was much more enjoyable not knowing a damn thing about the plot of the book or what happens to anyone.

jenifu
07-23-2007, 01:25 PM
hahaha

i spent most of last week basically exiled from the internet, radio, and TV. i was determined not to be spoiled and i was so glad that i wasn't. it was much more enjoyable not knowing a damn thing about the plot of the book or what happens to anyone.

EXACTLY.
i was so freaking pissy when stuff started leaking early in the week.
i also couldn't believe how much trouble i had getting people to understand that i didn't CARE if the revelations about the plot details weren't hugely dramatic or not, in terms of the narrative.
i JUST FREAKING WANTED TO FIND OUT FOR MYSELF!

(whoa.
head rush.
bleh! i think i had way too much coffee today.)

anyhow - i was so glad to have had it work out.

Jonny Z
07-23-2007, 01:26 PM
EXACTLY.
i also couldn't believe how much trouble i had getting people to understand that i didn't CARE if the revelations about the plot details weren't hugely dramatic or not, in terms of the narrative.

(whoa.
head rush.

yeah and i sent out warnings to people i know who'd spoil it for me, whether intentionally or not, to not even mention the name harry potter, let alone any info on the book.

my brother, a few months ago, had spoiled captain america's death for me early in the morning before my comic shop opened because he read it on the news :-x

AAlgar
07-23-2007, 01:27 PM
EXACTLY.

(whoa.
head rush.

And now it's all over. Forever and ever. No more new Harry Potter, ever again.

You blew your wad in one night.

jenifu
07-23-2007, 01:31 PM
yeah and i sent out warnings to people i know who'd spoil it for me, whether intentionally or not, to not even mention the name harry potter, let alone any info on the book.

my brother, a few months ago, had spoiled captain america's death for me early in the morning before my comic shop opened because he read it on the news :-x

oh, for feck's sake.
i remember that wednesday.
mostly, i remember texting travis (who was teaching onsite somewhere) a message that went something like, 'do not turn on radio. do not go online. do not watch t.v. definitely go to store as soon as humanly possible to pick up your pull list items. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.'

Jonny Z
07-23-2007, 01:32 PM
oh, for feck's sake.
i remember that wednesday.
mostly, i remember texting travis (who was teaching onsite somewhere) a message that went something like, 'do not turn on radio. do not go online. do not watch t.v. definitely go to store as soon as humanly possible to pick up your pull list items. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.'

haha travis is lucky to have you :)

jenifu
07-23-2007, 01:34 PM
And now it's all over. Forever and ever. No more new Harry Potter, ever again.

You blew your wad in one night.

when i first read this, i laughed.
then, i fantasized about poking you in the eye.
then i laughed again, because you wrote, 'blew your wad'.
i also contemplated a rebuttal that included a reference to the endless wealth of new HP slash fiction that will continue to clog the internet until long after i die...but i couldn't even do it in jest, because it made my brain seize with horror.

jenifu
07-23-2007, 01:36 PM

man - we're overdue to come see you guys.
it's been too long.
(okay, february. which isn't SO long. but it FEELS like fucking forEVER.)

AAlgar
07-23-2007, 01:38 PM
i also contemplated a rebuttal that included a reference to the endless wealth of new HP slash fiction that will continue to clog the internet until long after i die...but i couldn't even do it in jest, because it made my brain seize with horror.

I honestly have no real opinion of HP. It's really cool to see everybody getting all excited over it though. It's how I felt when Revenge of the Sith came out. And I just remember that sort of melancholy feeling when it was over, and I realized there was nothing left to anticipate.

Then I saw the opportunity to remind you and everyone else that you now have a reason to be miserable, and I just couldn't pass that up.

Jonny Z
07-23-2007, 01:40 PM
I honestly have no real opinion of HP. It's really cool to see everybody getting all excited over it though. It's how I felt when Revenge of the Sith came out. And I just remember that sort of melancholy feeling when it was over, and I realized there was nothing left to anticipate.

Then I saw the opportunity to remind you and everyone else that you now have a reason to be miserable, and I just couldn't pass that up.

i totally get the correlation between the two...

except that Harry Potter was, you know, good ;)

AAlgar
07-23-2007, 01:43 PM

Don't you fuckin' start on me, Zylerberg! :x

kari
07-23-2007, 01:45 PM

:lol:

I've missed you and your post soooooooo much my sweet fu fu!
You never fail to make me giggle. :)

jenifu
07-23-2007, 01:54 PM

heh.
zylberberg'd!

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
07-23-2007, 01:54 PM
I was the creepy old lady who went to the theater in the middle of the day by myself to see the most recent Harry Potter movie. :surrend::lol:

jenifu
07-23-2007, 01:56 PM

I've missed you and your post soooooooo much my sweet fu fu!
You never fail to make me giggle. :)

hello to you too, darlin'!!! :grin:
how's your passenger?!?
and how are you?!?
oh, crap - i don't want to derail the thread.
PM me...!!!

jenifu
07-23-2007, 01:59 PM
I was the creepy old lady who went to the theater in the middle of the day by myself to see the most recent Harry Potter movie. :surrend::lol:

oh, lauri!
you're SO not a lady!
i would totally have gone with you.
if you weren't, you know, A MILLION MILES AWAY.
:-x

Shwicaz
07-23-2007, 02:00 PM
I know 3 hairy pot-head women who stayed home saturday night.

they don't read, though.

:?

07-23-2007, 02:09 PM
oh, lauri!
you're SO not a lady!

Oh man, no kidding. I stuffed my face with chips & queso and a black bean burger.

i would totally have gone with you.
if you weren't, you know, A MILLION MILES AWAY.
:-x

Ahem. MC Fu and TDAWG should sit up and take notice that Austin is the live music capital.

jenifu
07-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Oh man, no kidding. I stuffed my face with chips & queso and a black bean burger.

i have never wanted you the way that i do right now.
(hmmmm. maybe travis is right.
he is convinced that i am a closet lesbian.)

Ahem. MC Fu and TDAWG should sit up and take notice that Austin is the live music capital.

DAMMIT!
i know this! do you think i don't know this?
and do you not think the knowing is bitter on my tongue, as we sadly spend many, many nights scanning the listings for small, local shows being played in connecticut that do NOT involve a set of nothing but zeppelin covers?!?

kari
07-23-2007, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=ROBOT TRILL VS. AZTEC MUMMY;3358288]Oh man, no kidding. I stuffed my face with chips & queso and a black bean burger.
QUOTE]

:drool: HAWWWWWTTTTTTT!

Shwicaz
07-23-2007, 02:28 PM

:drool: HAWWWWWTTTTTTT!

but wait, there's more:

When Trill and I were together, we visited a locally renowned steakhouse in Fort Worth, TX. She matched me bite for bite on that fucking 32 ounce steak. :shock:

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=120699

AAlgar
07-23-2007, 02:30 PM
but wait, there's more:

Thibideaux, You fucking tattletale! :x

Shwicaz
07-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Thibideaux, You fucking tattletale! :x

you spelled my name wrong.

:babble:

07-23-2007, 02:35 PM
but wait, there's more:

You're trying to stir up a lesbian food frenzy!

Shwicaz
07-23-2007, 02:37 PM

:innocent:

kari
07-23-2007, 02:42 PM

Me you and the Fu.....steakhouse, NOW!:)

thatguyfromsyracuse
07-23-2007, 02:45 PM

I'll uh...videotape...For you know, the records...:lol:

AAlgar
07-23-2007, 02:48 PM

I've seen what Trill can put away. You're eating for two. I fear Fu may be outclassed on this one.

07-23-2007, 02:49 PM

There's no time for formalities. I'll get the knives and forks and meet you two in the pasture!

jenifu
07-23-2007, 02:54 PM

i want a steak right now so bad i could cry.
a rare, rare, rare steak.
*sniffle*

jenifu
07-23-2007, 02:58 PM
I've seen what Trill can put away. You're eating for two. I fear Fu may be outclassed on this one.

pfft.
i may be on weight watchers, but i will ALWAYS BE A RAVENOUS MACHINE ON MY INSIDES.

There's no time for formalities. I'll get the knives and forks and meet you two in the pasture!

i've got a letter opener and a staple remover.
see you there!!!

AAlgar
07-23-2007, 03:00 PM
pfft.
i may be on weight watchers, but i will ALWAYS BE A RAVENOUS MACHINE ON MY INSIDES.

Weight Watchers?! :x

You can do side bends or sit-ups, but baby, don't lose that butt! :?

kari
07-23-2007, 03:01 PM
I'll uh...videotape...For you know, the records...:lol:

Have you ever seen starving wolves rip apart a still kicking deer? You can videotape but it won't be pretty or sexy. :lol:

07-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Have you ever seen starving wolves rip apart a still kicking deer? You can videotape but it won't be pretty or sexy. :lol:

I'm 99% certain that someone somewhere out there on the net has that particular fetish.

jenifu
Weight Watchers?! :x

You can do side bends or sit-ups, but baby, don't lose that butt! :?

HA!
the butt doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
i've lost almost 20 pounds at this point...but for some freakish reason, IT ALL SEEMS TO HAVE COME OFF, LIKE, MY HEAD.
i think my brain is shrinking.
I'M LOSING WEIGHT FROM MY BRAIN.
this phenomenon, oddly, is NOT covered in the promotional literature.

thatguyfromsyracuse

It could turn into something sexy and beautiful afterwards, and if it does not, I'll put it on YouTube.

kari
07-23-2007, 03:06 PM

I just hope that in my bloody cow frenzy I don't eat someone else's fingers!

I don't need a knife....I'll just rip that cow open with my prenatal vitamin induced fingernails. :)

i want a steak right now so bad i could cry.
a rare, rare, rare steak.
*sniffle*
awwww honey....:sad: *pats* there, there......

AAlgar
07-23-2007, 03:08 PM
HA!
the butt doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
i've lost almost 20 pounds at this point...but for some freakish reason, IT ALL SEEMS TO HAVE COME OFF, LIKE, MY HEAD.
i think my brain is shrinking.
I'M LOSING WEIGHT FROM MY BRAIN.
this phenomenon, oddly, is NOT covered in the promotional literature.

Jokes aside, congrats. That ain't easy.

Donal DeLay
07-23-2007, 03:12 PM
NO SPOILERS in this thread!

Ok, I know three friends of my wife who stayed home to read Harry Potter all weekend. I am happy to say I called them all nerds, and I have superhero stuff all over my home office. I don't think I ever stayed home on a Saturday night to read a comic book or trade paperback, and I'm the "geek." :)

This is so going to be material for my comic strip about everyone being a nerd about something.

And apparently, Harry Potter fandom can be a big chick magnet? :) Everyone IS a nerd about SOMETHING.

Be it sports, cars, comics, novels, computers. Some are just considered more "loser-ish" than others, but I call my co-workers nerds all the time when they talk sports.

"Man, you guys are the nerdiest bunch of closet geeks I've ever seen"
"What? I ain't no nerd"
"exactly"

The grammar always confuses them.

kari
07-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Everyone IS a nerd about SOMETHING.

Be it sports, cars, comics, novels, computers. Some are just considered more "loser-ish" than others, but I call my co-workers nerds all the time when they talk sports.

"Man, you guys are the nerdiest bunch of closet geeks I've ever seen"
"What? I ain't no nerd"
"exactly"

The grammar always confuses them.

I love it when Noble's coworkers try to talk to him about sports and why he should watch.
Noble-
"Do they bases randomly explode as they try to get around? Is the football coated with some kind of time delay acid and if they don't get it a certain distance it will eat thier fingers off? No? well let me know when that happens and I'll watch." :lol:

I like to fish, but he won't go with me unless he can shoot them or blow them out of the water. :lol:

TheTravis!
07-23-2007, 07:05 PM

Yes. Yes, I am.

Mylazycat
07-23-2007, 07:59 PM
I know one who spent the entire weekend reading the book. She's hot, too.

greg donovan
07-23-2007, 08:08 PM
I never meant anything was wrong with it, but it floored me how many cute women in their 20s are all over this thing.

dont forget they were at least 10 when the series started.

fuck i'm old.

several of the girls i work with took the night off on sat. to read the book.

greg donovan
07-23-2007, 08:13 PM
I love it when Noble's coworkers try to talk to him about sports and why he should watch.
Noble-
"Do they bases randomly explode as they try to get around? Is the football coated with some kind of time delay acid and if they don't get it a certain distance it will eat thier fingers off? No? well let me know when that happens and I'll watch." :lol:

I like to fish, but he won't go with me unless he can shoot them or blow them out of the water. :lol:

i am totally stealing that avoidance tactic.