PDA

View Full Version : All Flash

Dreg
07-18-2007, 02:54 PM
OK, I read All-Flash...and it's pretty awesome. Not even awe"some", but awe"a-shit-load." Anyway, I have never gotten so much satisfaction from a single comic while at the same time being so darn thirsty for more. In All-Flash, Waid excels both at tying up loose ends and dangling juicy details for future stories.

The showdown with Inertia really showcased both Kerschl and Waid's knack for storytelling. At the beginning of the book, You're purposely made to feel sorry for Inertia...first by the Rogues trying to use him as a "sacrificial lamb," and then as he flees, wide-eyed and trembling, from an extremely menacing Wally West. But then later on, as he's getting totally pwned, the facade melts away all of a sudden and you see him for the monster he is. His childlike features turn into this goblinesque mask of villainy, and he says just about the cruelest thing imaginable to Bart's grieving cousin. "He screamed like a bitch." It was a total 180. You go from hoping Wally doesn't do anything too severe to cheering for him to cave the runt's skull in. I doubt we're meant to believe Inertia's telling the truth, here, only to believe that he's capable of pure evil. And trying to pin everything on Wally was even worse. According to JLA, it was the LOSH who opened the gate to the Speed Force, Wally just hitched a ride out along with SOMEBODY ELSE. But you could really feel those words dig into Wally's skin regardless.

I also could not have been happier with the way Inertia was dealt with.

Forcing him to live as a frozen exhibit in Bart's wing of the Flash museum was genius. It keeps the character on the table for future use and serves as another tribute to the great Bart Allen. But while Wally was previously shown to have a lot to learn from Bart's life, Inertia is trapped in the knowledge that he'll never be as accomplished, admired, or loved as Bart was. And for someone whose initial plans were to replace Bart, that has to sting a lot. Some people are thinking this punishment is too harsh, but I'm going to have to disagree with them 100%. Let's ignore the horrible crime that Thad's committed for just one second. What was waiting for him if Wally hadn't put him on ice? I'd say the most likely fate would be an emphatic death sentance at the hands of Wonder Girl or any number of crazed vigilantes. And the best case scenario? Going to jail. But just think about that for a minute. What treatment do cop killers frequently receive in prison? Now try to imagine what treatment the killer of a superhero as universally beloved as the Flash would receive. And if you can fathom that, imagine if the Flash in question were also a studying to become a forensic scientist for the police. Pretty bad, huh? Oh, and it's probably not best to dwell on the thought of a kid looking like Thad winding up in a place like Iron Heights, for example. Compared to what would either be a life of brutal torment or an agonizingly prolonged death, I'd say Wally's little "time out" was the best thing Inertia could have hoped for. Especially given how close his display is to a certain time machine...

And I loved the art. ALL of it. And what a variety, too. no weak links, in my opinion. Just strong links and stronger links.

As for "holy crap, I cannot believe what I'm seeing, when the heck are they going to expand on that?" moments...

Iris' prophesy of a Flash ring...spitting out BATMAN'S SUIT. Holy Fuckaroni and CheeseTM!

This re-relaunch could have been fouled up so many ways, not the least of which is if they just returned everything to the pre-crisis status quo and pretended nothing happened. But exciting new changes have been made, Bart is being remembered and honored in a way that Wally never was during the original relaunch, and Waid is full of ideas for more to come. It's a great day to be a Flash fan! My only complaint: this should have been supersized! I was tricked into believing it was due to the obscenely long MAD magazine/hot dog ad.

Total score: 9/10

Ray G.
07-18-2007, 03:03 PM
It wasn't bad...but that hideous last two-page spread pretty much convinced me to drop it on the spot.

Kingsumo
07-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Good review Dreg. I am really looking to get this.. Having read, would one need a lot of DC knowledge to get into it?

I have a fairly decent amount, but I don't know that many of the Flash's villians.

Albert
07-18-2007, 03:04 PM
It wasn't bad...but that hideous last two-page spread pretty much convinced me to drop it on the spot.

I haven't read it yet, but just wanted to see if you liked it or not...and the fact that you of all people didn't dig a DC comic that I was psyched about reading has me bummed. :(

Bill Nolan
07-18-2007, 03:06 PM
He screamed like a bitch.

Is that a joke, or did he really use those words?

That's pretty much why I stay away from DC Comics these days. I actually miss the time when they were dismissed by silly wags as "Dad Comics"... :cry:

Michael Blacklist
07-18-2007, 03:06 PM
I haven't read it yet, but just wanted to see if you liked it or not...and the fact that you of all people didn't dig a DC comic that I was psyched about reading has me bummed. :(

I don't know if I'm feeling the same thing that Ray is, but everything about the book felt right EXCEPT for Acuna's art. The last two pages were really... weird? Silly looking? I can't decide.

NickT
07-18-2007, 03:07 PM
I was tricked into believing it was due to the obscenely long MAD magazine/hot dog ad.

Yeah, what is it with those adverts? They seem to never end!

UltimateFactor
07-18-2007, 03:12 PM
He screamed like a bitch.

Is that a joke, or did he really use those words?

That's pretty much why I stay away from DC Comics these days. I actually miss the time when they were dismissed by silly wags as "Dad Comics"... :cry:

Nope, he really said it. I hated the last two page spread too. However, the guy who did the art during the Wally/Inertia one sided conflict rocks.

Ray G.
07-18-2007, 03:14 PM

I was halfway psyched for this. It's no secret that I was NOT a fan of the decision to kill Bart, but I love Waid and I wanted to see where he took this.

The main story was decent, but not exactly representative of what the rest of his run will be like, I'm sure. However, I loathed the art(and I generally like Acuna), and I especially hated the designs of Wally's kids and their costumes. They look like the ultimate Spy Kids rejects.

Joe Henderson
07-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Kershl's art made Acuna's look all the more disappointing. Kershl's stuff was dynamic and exciting; Acuna's was...strange and unappealing. It could have partially been the contrast of styles, but man did it not leave me excited for the look of the next issue.

John M. Coker (Johnny C.)
07-18-2007, 03:24 PM
I was actually surprised that I didn't hate it, I didn't really liek it all that much, but I didn't hate it.

07-18-2007, 03:26 PM
And personally, I dug the Bennett art the most.

Dreg
07-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Good review Dreg. I am really looking to get this.. Having read, would one need a lot of DC knowledge to get into it?

I have a fairly decent amount, but I don't know that many of the Flash's villians.

There's a decent synopsis at the beginning of the book. It gives you all you need to know about the heart of the current story. Basically, Wally disappeared during Infinite Crisis to parts unknown, and has reappeared just as his cousin is being beaten to death. The story behind where Wally went and why would be pretty confusing I guess, but my advice is to ignore it, since I've read all the Flash issues I can, and DC NEVER explains it adequately.

Most of the bad guys really aren't important except as plot devices. Inertia is the most important one, and the story does a good job of telling you all you need to know about him in a few panels.

Kingsumo
07-18-2007, 03:48 PM
There's a decent synopsis at the beginning of the book. It gives you all you need to know about the heart of the current story. Basically, Wally disappeared during Infinite Crisis to parts unknown, and has reappeared just as his cousin is being beaten to death. The story behind where Wally went and why would be pretty confusing I guess, but my advice is to ignore it, since I've read all the Flash issues I can, and DC NEVER explains it adequately.

Most of the bad guys really aren't important except as plot devices. Inertia is the most important one, and the story does a good job of telling you all you need to know about him in a few panels.

Cool. Thanks for that. I was hoping it would make a good jumping on point without having to wade through or wait for all of the countdown stuff.

Dreg
07-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Cool. Thanks for that. I was hoping it would make a good jumping on point without having to wade through or wait for all of the countdown stuff.

The next issue, the relaunch issue, might be an even better place since it's designed more for that purpose.

I don't know if I'm feeling the same thing that Ray is, but everything about the book felt right EXCEPT for Acuna's art. The last two pages were really... weird? Silly looking? I can't decide.

Acuna seems like he can get the job done when he's "on."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dreg/teetansinkspeque2.jpg

His use of lighting can get a little jarring, though.

Simps
07-18-2007, 04:30 PM
I loved the issue, but wasn't wild about Acuna at the end, despite really liking his turn on GL a few months ago.

YouStayClassy
07-18-2007, 04:39 PM

EXACTLY THE SAME HERE.

I was praying to numbers of various Gods Acuna would be using a new art style for the book, but alas..... mine eyes do bleed.....

Kevinroc
07-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Bart's still dead... Meh... That's not very fun at all and Iris' speech towards the end did nothing for me.

hellblazer72
07-18-2007, 07:07 PM
i liked the wally versus inertia part of the book but i didn't pick it up because of acuna and mostly churchill, i refuse to buy a book that he has art in

DaveCummings
07-18-2007, 07:47 PM
I really REALLY wished that Kerschl would of done the whole book. Hell, if he drew the Flash book fulltime, I would pick it up in a heartbeat.

YouStayClassy
07-18-2007, 07:48 PM
I really REALLY wished that Kershel would of done the whole book. Hell, if he drew the Flash book fulltime, I would pick it up in a heartbeat.

Can I get a "Hell Yes!" to that?

Are you LISTENING, DC?!?!

Matt O'Keefe
07-18-2007, 07:50 PM
I was actually surprised that I didn't hate it, I didn't really liek it all that much, but I didn't hate it.

Why bother reading it if you expect to hate it?

jfp2004
07-18-2007, 07:51 PM
I really REALLY wished that Kerschl would of done the whole book. Hell, if he drew the Flash book fulltime, I would pick it up in a heartbeat.

Amen.

07-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Why bother reading it if you expect to hate it?

So I could be pleasantly surprised if I didn't? I try to give everything a chance.

Kingsumo
07-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Well, that was actually pretty good. Dreg, thanks again for the brief fill in earlier, as well as the overall recomendation.

The art on the last two pages was really rather jarring though. I am really hoping that is only a teaser or cover art and not really what the main book will look like. I would like to be able to carry more the one DC book, but I don't really groove on that at all.

The Human Target
07-18-2007, 08:22 PM
I have a question that I may regret asking.

Flash ring with Batman suit?

Wha?

Simps
07-18-2007, 08:23 PM

Wha?
Tease of things to come.

Hock
07-18-2007, 08:38 PM
I really dislike Acuna's art. I think more then anything he needs to stop colouring his own books.

Dreg
07-19-2007, 06:09 AM
So I could be pleasantly surprised if I didn't? I try to give everything a chance.

I think I would have been more pleasantly surprised if there weren't so many pages online. I realize it's my own fault for spoiling myself, but most of the best pages were already up.

Ryan_ZOOM_Turner
07-19-2007, 06:14 AM
I need to pick this up this weekend.

Dreg
07-19-2007, 06:54 AM
One thing I have to say in the Acuna pages' defense...

They're the first place the West children actually look like 8 and 10-year-olds. Even when Jai is shown with the supermuscles, you can tell that they're supposed to be a superpower and look ridiculous...it's a juxtoposition with his youthful face. With the other artists, Jai and Iris look like incredibly well-built teenagers when they are clearly not using their superpowers. Jai has a six-pack and Iris has a rack. Superhero comics really need to show some diversity in body types.

Evan the Shaggy
07-19-2007, 06:59 AM

Wha?

That threw me for the biggest loop in the issue. What the hell could that possibly mean? Wally becoming Batman?

Dreg
07-19-2007, 07:00 AM
That threw me for the biggest loop in the issue. What the hell could that possibly mean? Wally becoming Batman?

I think it will tie into his friendship with Nightwing. Maybe Wally's daughter and Nightwing's future son...?

SteveZegers
07-19-2007, 07:14 AM

Didn't they say at some point, that they all had rings, but Barry (And Wally) were the only ones fast enough to use them. I forget where that was from. Could have been Green Arrow or Justice League, or some other book.

BWC Boston
07-19-2007, 08:27 AM
Didn't they say at some point, that they all had rings, but Barry (And Wally) were the only ones fast enough to use them. I forget where that was from. Could have been Green Arrow or Justice League, or some other book.

I think ARCHER'S QUEST.

dougmac
07-19-2007, 10:48 AM

Wha?

it was a great visual and a great OMG! moment

Clayton James
07-19-2007, 11:01 AM
really enjoyed this but I agree with the anti-Acuna Sentiment.

That said, those Titans panels are well-done so I'll give it a shot.

Albert
07-19-2007, 11:15 AM
I guess maybe I had my expectations way lowered but I didn't find that Acuna section offensive or anything...:scared:

changingshades
07-19-2007, 04:03 PM
I liked it okay but I doubt I'm going to be picking up any more flash in the foreseeable future.

UltimateQuintessa
07-19-2007, 04:07 PM
I liked everything except the two page splash.

A Kid Hulk Flash? Come on? Seriously?