PDA

View Full Version : Why did YOU get into comics?

Kristoffer
05-16-2005, 01:49 PM
I'll start! I got into comics because of the X-Men cartoon in '92 and just loved the stories. My brother collected the comics, but wasn't interested until I was 13. He went off to college and I was left with them.

(I just want to interrupt my story to tell you all, I just won BATMAN #608, 614, 617-619 for only $14 as I write this. Now back to my story.)

I really liked the art, but couldn't grasp the stories in my head. I was primarily into X-Men comics. But now, at 24, I'm into a whole lot more than just X-books. Check my subscription to see what I collect now. Even the hardestcore (if that's even a real word) will shit a brick. :cool:

BriRedfern
05-16-2005, 01:53 PM
Because I got into comics. I don't remember why, thats like asking why I got into movies. I tried 'em, I liked 'em. I did not know anyone who read them. I still don't. Well, except for all of you. Other than that I don't know a single comic book reader. Well, I got my wife's younger brother a subscription to USM for his birthday so I guess he kinda' counts.

Ashton
05-16-2005, 01:54 PM
while a child because I loved them.
when I went to college I lost interst in them (more interested in girls and political issues), but then when I started my brilliant career in the government- it was so mind numbingly boring that I began to look for more entertainment options. So I started collecting comics for the first time in 5 years and am back for good this time.

DigiEmissary
05-16-2005, 01:55 PM
Because i found my dad's collection (at least 5000) around the time i learned to read.

Kristoffer
05-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Because i found my dad's collection (at least 5000) around the time i learned to read.5,000? JESUS CHRIST! GA? SA? BA? MA?

Kristoffer
05-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Not to change the subject, but did I mention I got BATMAN #608 and four other Bat books for only $14? Talk about a bargain price! Here's the eBay auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6532373365&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6532373365&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT)

Tyeron
05-16-2005, 02:04 PM
i dug ironman.. and he's been an off and on favorite for a while waaay back when i was 10 or so

Balthazar
acne

Victor Cabanelas
I loved the watching the old (Spidey, FF, Batman, etc) cartoons and series (Hulk, Batman, Spidey) when I was a little kid and my family was kind enough to buy me a some mexican translations of Marvel and DC comicbooks. When I grew up, I started buying them myself. I still have some of those books that my parents gave me when I was a kid and I still love reading them!

Olivier E.
05-16-2005, 02:24 PM
Because of him:
http://www.sequart.com/xmen/newXmen129.jpg

Kristoffer
05-16-2005, 02:25 PM
Because of him:
http://www.sequart.com/xmen/newXmen129.jpgAh, yes. Fantomex and had prominent crotch.

ERNIE_E
05-16-2005, 02:26 PM
I always loved them as a child but actually started buying them after reminicing over stealing my brother's when I was a wee tot. I tore up his X-Men # 1, and felt super guilty. We rapped and rapped, and eventually talked us both back into comics. I started branching out in college and looking at indies. This was the early 90's a great time for that. I worked a shop for 3-4 years and got into journalism. I wanted to get closer to comics than usual, and hence, I'm here trying to get in and work as close to the field as possible, meeting wonderful people, reading fantastic comics, and witness to amazing art.

Visit Buzz Scope!

anThONY_s
05-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Step 1: Fox X-Men Cartoon
Step 2: Fleer X-Men Trading Cards at the corner store
Step 3: Friend's boyfriend letting me read X-Men comics in the other room while they made out.
Step 4: *SHUDDER* Wizard magazine telling me what to keep an eye out for. Seriously. I read a lot off good comics when I was just starting out because of this mag. Too bad it sucks balls now.

xyzzy
05-16-2005, 02:27 PM
I bought Goldfish on a whim at a Virgin Megastore. A month later I bought Powers: Roleplay at a local bookstore. Really enjoyed them both. About 3 months later, I realized they were by the same author. I came here and the rest is history.

DanLTaylor
05-16-2005, 02:28 PM
I got into comics for the women.

Wait? What's that? There aren't a lot of women to be had by being into comics?

I've got to rethink my masterplan.

adamgreenberger
05-16-2005, 02:31 PM
It was something that me and my dad could do together when I was younger

Opus Croakus
05-16-2005, 02:33 PM
Because I saw a cover that I couldn't ignore:

http://www.fm3d.com/collectables/comics/thor/380.jpg

AAlgar
05-16-2005, 02:38 PM

Tell that to David Mack.

joeAR
05-16-2005, 02:43 PM
I was 9 years old(23 now) and I used to live across the street from a comic shop. The curious person that my friends and I were we walked in and the first thing I see was the cover to Uncanny X-Men#274 with Rogue, Magneto, Nick Fury, and Kazar drawn by Jim Lee(I swear my balls dropped when I saw that Rogue pic) Cool story with awsome art I was automatically hooked, Lee's still my favorite artist

Kristoffer
05-16-2005, 02:49 PM
I was 9 years old(23 now) and I used to live across the street from a comic shop. The curious person that my friends and I were we walked in and the first thing I see was the cover to Uncanny X-Men#274 with Rogue, Magneto, Nick Fury, and Kazar drawn by Jim Lee(I swear my balls dropped when I saw that Rogue pic) Cool story with awsome art I was automatically hooked, Lee's still my favorite artistLMAO about the balls dropping. Jim Lee is the man, though. BTW, I just bought BATMAN #608 and four other books from the HUSH storyline for $14. Did I mention that? Oh, I guess I did.

Bill?
05-16-2005, 03:01 PM
I thought I was in line for Gilbert Godfreid and Jerry Seinfeld and by the time I realized it was for Rob Liefeld and Chuck Austen it was too late.

TonyFleecs
05-16-2005, 03:06 PM
When I was a kid I'd spend a month or so each summer at my cousin's house in small town Nebraska. There's not a lot to do out there so we'd spend a lot of time sneaking into my uncle's Playboy stash, building forts, playing Atari & nintendo and walking down to the Jack & Jill grocerie where there was a comic rack. I started picking up archie double digests (value baby, that's a shitload of pages in there) and TMNT books and I remember getting "The Adventures of Bayou Billy" comic because we were so excited about the NES game where you could use not just the controller but also the Zapper & the powerpad...

Soon after that The Batman movie came out & I really started to want comics in a big, big way... I had to beg for them though because I got a bunch of younger siblings & their shit took precedence to my mom driving me to a comic store.

TIP
05-16-2005, 03:08 PM
I first discovered them on my own when my mom would take us along to the pharmacy or the corner market. I'd wandered off, encountered the newstand and saw the cool ass drawings on the covers. I must have been 4 or 5 when this happened (circa 74/75) and, other than the 5 or 6 years in the 90s when I was away from comics I haven't looked back.

T

DanLTaylor
05-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Tell that to David Mack.
I'm no Mack.

ItsDLEVY
05-16-2005, 03:09 PM
When I was in elementary school, I somehow came into possession of a big box of old comics - I think they might have been my uncle's. Mostly old Archies whose covers had long since fallen off, but also some superhero stuff, and a healthy serving of those promo books featuring the TRS-80 Whiz Kids and their ilk. I must have read every one of those a thousand times, but somehow it never translated into buying new comics.

When I was a little older, I had some friends who read (and drew) comics, which got me interested in both. I subscribed to Avengers, because - as Stan Lee once said - why buy a book with one character when you can buy another book for the same price with a whole team of them?

That lasted a couple of years, then I lost interest.

A few years ago, I was working retail on Citywalk at Universal Studios, LA. On my breaks I would browse through other stores. I got an employee discount at them, too. There were two comics stores there (Thing From Another World and its sister store, whose name I forget at the moment), so I started buying stuff to read during my lunch breaks. It's been a long, slow, expensive descent ever since.

AAlgar
05-16-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm no Mack.

Says you. :heybaby:

St.-
05-16-2005, 03:18 PM
I got into comics cause they were at the local store. But more recently i got back into comics because of Bendis.

Kristoffer
05-16-2005, 03:26 PM
I got into comics cause they were at the local store. But more recently i got back into comics because of Bendis.Me, too! I think the whole Avengers Disassembled and IDENTITY CRISIS got me back into comics in a huge way. My comics renaissance, if you will. Thanks to Bendis & Meltzer.

justjeffery
05-16-2005, 03:46 PM

I've got to rethink my masterplan.

Hey, it works for me! I got into comics for the chics and now I've got chicks... where's the mystery?

:D

Angel
05-16-2005, 04:08 PM
i got into comics because of my older brother. i was the annoying little sister who wanted to do everything her older brother did. i use to sneek into his room and look at them. then one day he caught me, sat me down, and said if i was going to look at his comics i was going to do it right. he told me to pick one out and he would show me how to read it. i picked dd 181 because i liked to cover and handed it to him. he showed me how to hold it without bending the spine and to bag and board it after i was done. when i finished reading it, i was hooked. later that week he took me to his comic shop and i bought that very issue. i also picked up some transformers, thundercats and x-men comics to. i was ten i think.
i lost interest in 96 because i was going to college and i had to pay my own way and i couldn't afford both. plus, i was liking comics at that time because they were sucky. then about 5 years ago i was at looking for some anime and i remembered that my old comic shop had anime so i went there. when i got there i say ultimate spiderman and read it. i thought it kicked ass and started to pick up comcs again. so, it's all bendis' fault that i got back into comics. :D

Kristoffer
05-16-2005, 04:13 PM
i got into comics because of my older brother. i was the annoying little sister who wanted to do everything her older brother did. i use to sneek into his room and look at them. then one day he caught me, sat me down, and said if i was going to look at his comics i was going to do it right. he told me to pick one out and he would show me how to read it. i picked dd 181 because i liked to cover and handed it to him. he showed me how to hold it without bending the spine and to bag and board it after i was done. when i finished reading it, i was hooked. later that week he took me to his comic shop and i bought that very issue. i also picked up some transformers, thundercats and x-men comics to. i was ten i think.
i lost interest in 96 because i was going to college and i had to pay my own way and i couldn't afford both. plus, i was liking comics at that time because they were sucky. then about 5 years ago i was at looking for some anime and i remembered that my old comic shop had anime so i went there. when i got there i say ultimate spiderman and read it. i thought it kicked ass and started to pick up comcs again. so, it's all bendis' fault that i got back into comics. :DYes, let's all blame Bendis! :-x

The Human Target
05-16-2005, 04:27 PM
As a kid I watched the Spidey and X-Men cartoons. My parents would occasionally bring me comics when I was sick or sad, even though they had never read any. Then my mother got a job at a Rite-Aid that had a lot of Marvel comics on the racks. She saw that I didn't really have a hobby other than reading, so she started to bring me different comics. Soon I was going to see her at work and buying different books. Eventually I discovered comic shops and I have only stopped once for half a year. But then books like New X-Men and X-Force (X-Statix) came out and I realized comics could be cool.

Kristoffer
05-16-2005, 04:40 PM
As a kid I watched the Spidey and X-Men cartoons. My parents would occasionally bring me comics when I was sick or sad, even though they had never read any. Then my mother got a job at a Rite-Aid that had a lot of Marvel comics on the racks. She saw that I didn't really have a hobby other than reading, so she started to bring me different comics. Soon I was going to see her at work and buying different books. Eventually I discovered comic shops and I have only stopped once for half a year. But then books like New X-Men and X-Force (X-Statix) came out and I realized comics could be cool.What are talking about? Comics have always been cool! Don't listen to those meathead jocks!

copypastepuke
05-16-2005, 04:47 PM
cosco wholesalers had twenty comics for like 12 bucks. they were random collections from the different companies. it got me into batman and xmen. my mom would pick them up for me so i would stay quiet during long car rides.

the first book i bought and followed the continuity of was spawn. yep. spawn.
and i started branching out to all of images books. i even have TROLL number one.
it was a good book. i liked the art. i loved grifter as well.

then i fell out of it for a few years, still with much love for batman and certain marvel characters. then in college someone reintroduced me to comics, starting with the authority and midnight nation. i got hooked, and then started spending all my money on it. i was 40 bucks every week for a long time, just reading EVERYTHIGN i could. then i went to europe and spent all my money, so now i am spending about 12 a week and trying to limit it to that until this summer, when it will be back to 60 bucks a week.

Ben Rosen
05-16-2005, 04:49 PM
my dad sent me some spiderman comics at summer camp after sixth grade. a few months after i got home, i went to the comic store and bought daredevil and a bunch of other marvel and dc books.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
05-16-2005, 04:53 PM
probably finding the Peanuts and Prince Valiant collections my father had as a child
they taught me how to read

V-Man
05-16-2005, 05:55 PM
Well...

I have always been extremly passionate about movies and i remember this epiphony i had in a local AMC theatre.I turned around and saw a giant silver X with a circle around it and asked my friend what it was. He told me that they were making an X-Men movie. Suddenly i remembered watching a few of those shows when i was really young and my already movie loving mind went wild at the thought at that kind of stuff in live-action. So i went home and just researched on the X-Men for like a year for hours a day until i became an expert. My aunt (who is more like my sister) had a boyfriend who also liked X-Men and comics. Well, put it this way, by the time i watched the movie i was a hardcore X-Men fan. And from there my love for comics rapidly grew, My aunt married her boyfriend and comics have consumed my life. Not just X-Men, i'm so passionate about all great comics and characters (esp. Daredevil).

I'm now 15 and a half, and i spend every cent i have on comics. I buy everything Bendis writes (everything!!!) because he is the greatest creative force who i believe will be with Eisner, Lee, Kirby, Miller and Moore as far as long-term genuises in the industry. Sure i got into comics through movies, but i stay in them because of guys like Bendis.

Keep on Truckin,

V-Man

Amos Moses
05-16-2005, 06:25 PM
I loved the 90's Spidey toon as a kid. Then finally when the 1st movie came out I decided, what the hell, and bought my first issue at 17. I've been hooked ever since.

chris page
05-16-2005, 09:14 PM
my mom got me one of them boxes of 50 random comics when i was six, and that started it. (btw, there was really cool shit in there, i miss the mail order comic companies- got me some kraven's last hunt, some early jim lee alpha flight and other nifty stuff) then a friend of mine picked picked up some xmen issues of inferno, and took me to his brother in law's house to read comics and we got hooked. (dude's brother in law had a ROOMFULL of long boxes, we're talking well over 10,000 issues)

makes me smile just thinking about it..

batphone begins
05-16-2005, 09:17 PM
i don't have to explain myself

Mike Haseloff
05-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Why did YOU get into comics?I got my first comic when I was about two, or three.

Both my parents were into comics when they were kids, so I guess it was just a natural part of parenting. :p
Comics, golden books or matchbox cars.

dEnny!
05-17-2005, 04:54 AM
Not to change the subject, but did I mention I got BATMAN #608 and four other Bat books for only $14? Talk about a bargain price! Here's the eBay auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6532373365&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6532373365&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT)

I'd have sold you the whole run for cover price plus shipping.

moonspider
05-17-2005, 05:04 AM
...meet girls!
:lol:

SimiBoyz
05-17-2005, 05:06 AM
The Clone Saga dragged me into the murky world of comics.

That's the short version.

Bart A Thompson
05-17-2005, 05:07 AM
Because I'm a storyteller and TV or movies take too long and pass through too many hands.

dEnny!
05-17-2005, 05:11 AM
One of my dads coworkers was moving back to the states. I guess he needed to lower his shipping weight, so much was free, and after that you had to pay for it yourself so he gave me a big box of comics. Many of which I still have today. I started buying new comics when my family moved to Fort Knox in the summer. Hard to make friends when school is out and you're living in a hotel so that's one thing I did to stay busy. I've never stopped buying comics, I've cut back and picked up more over time, but comics have always been a consistent part of my life.

SteveZegers
05-17-2005, 05:14 AM
I was a complete GI Joe junkie. I would buy anything GI Joe. My friend's dad was a comic collector, and told us about the book. I was lucky enough to have a really good comic book store very close to me house, and my parents figured it would be a great way to get me to read. I started buying GI Joe, and then just starting picking up other comics that looked interesting. (They were 75 cents!) That hooked me.

chrisfasowned
05-17-2005, 05:20 AM
oddly enough, i guess it was my grandmother. when i would stay with her when i was little and we'd go to the grocery store, i remember sitting in the underneath part of the shopping cart. she'd let me pick a comic to read under there while she shopped and pushed me around, then i'd put it back befor we left and she'd buy my one i hadn't read yet.

Kristoffer
05-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Well...

I have always been extremly passionate about movies and i remember this epiphony i had in a local AMC theatre.I turned around and saw a giant silver X with a circle around it and asked my friend what it was. He told me that they were making an X-Men movie. Suddenly i remembered watching a few of those shows when i was really young and my already movie loving mind went wild at the thought at that kind of stuff in live-action. So i went home and just researched on the X-Men for like a year for hours a day until i became an expert. My aunt (who is more like my sister) had a boyfriend who also liked X-Men and comics. Well, put it this way, by the time i watched the movie i was a hardcore X-Men fan. And from there my love for comics rapidly grew, My aunt married her boyfriend and comics have consumed my life. Not just X-Men, i'm so passionate about all great comics and characters (esp. Daredevil).

I'm now 15 and a half, and i spend every cent i have on comics. I buy everything Bendis writes (everything!!!) because he is the greatest creative force who i believe will be with Eisner, Lee, Kirby, Miller and Moore as far as long-term genuises in the industry. Sure i got into comics through movies, but i stay in them because of guys like Bendis.

Keep on Truckin,

V-ManThat's all that counts.

spencerdidyrmom
05-17-2005, 02:54 PM
I blame my nerd obsession on illiteracy and my love for G.I. Joes. My friend's little brother asked me to read him a G.I.Joe comic when I was 8. From there, the rest is history.

CraigM
05-17-2005, 02:57 PM
Because I love the creativeness behind it. I love writing fun, epic size, stories. I love talking with other readers and fans of my work (all two of you).

Because I love it all.

Craig

Kristoffer
05-17-2005, 02:59 PM
Did I mention that I was really into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles the cartoon? I think that was why I got into comics, because I vaguely remember buying the graphic novel adaptation to TMNT 2 while my older brother was busy buying Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, New Mutants, X-Factor, and X-Force.

Kristoffer
05-17-2005, 02:59 PM
Because I love the creativeness behind it. I love writing fun, epic size, stories. I love talking with other readers and fans of my work (all two of you).

Because I love it all.

CraigWhat have you written, Craig?

CraigM
05-17-2005, 04:29 PM
What have you written, Craig?

*points to his sig*

Tyr, a tale of a boy becoming a man and a God all into one. It's a fun story, and so far only the surface has been scratched. It's a real dark tale, driven by emotions, and all of that good stuff.

Issue #1 is available for purchase at ComiXpress.com. Issue #2 is available if you want to purchase it through me. Issue #3 will be available at Wizard World Philly (barring any malfunctions in the next 17 days), Issue #4 will be available at the end of June, Issue #5 will be available at the end of July, and #6 at the end of August.

Craig

Taki Soma
05-17-2005, 04:31 PM
I got into comics because comics are cool

~Hernandez~
05-17-2005, 06:38 PM
I originally remember going toi the newsstand with my dad on sundays to get the paper and i would get a comic. And, when i was age 7-11, we would travel from PA to Florida on vacation a few times a year. We always drove, so I would get a stck of comics at every gas station we stopped. But what really got me into them was the fact that I was a very sickly child, and so when I would be in the hospital people would ask what I wanted from the hospitality shop or whatever, and i would always want MORE COMICS!

Eventually, when I was about 15, I met a couple kids who actually collected and showed me the ropes of collecting and took me to my first comic book shop. Except for the shitty late 90s, Ive been pretty much a reader/ collector all of my life.

Jacob Lyon Goddard
05-17-2005, 06:44 PM
so i'm the only one one who got into them through newspaper strips?
c'mon

RED!
05-17-2005, 06:48 PM
I was named after a cartoonist. When i got old enough to read i liked the pretty pictures in her comic, then i got hooked on the comic, and then i got hooked on another comic, and another, end result i dress up like Red sonja and go to comic cons. I am such a geek. PS; my real name is Wendy by the way.

colleendoran
05-17-2005, 06:54 PM
I had crushes on Aquaman and Prince Valiant. I like blondes and brunettes.

c

andrew french
05-17-2005, 06:55 PM
my dad used to collect them all in the 60's as a kid. only marvel, and he had all the first issues and all that, daredevil, silver surfer, x-men, avengers early spider-man and fantastic four.

so he used to tell me all about them when i was real young, so i learned how to read and write and draw from the sunday spider-man strips, and eventually comics.

i dropped out when the clone saga happened, superman died (??), bat-man got his back broken and was replaced by some robo-bat-man, and i couldn't keep up with x-men.

but two years ago i broke my leg and had nothing else to do as a 16 year old during summer, so i got ultimate spider-man and daredevil... and got pulled back in.

The Clone Ranger
05-17-2005, 07:02 PM
I am from the mythical time when comics were for sale in every grocery store, drug store and corner store in the country. I always remember having them. My friends had comics, and we'd trade back and forth to read the ones we hadn't read yet. One of my earliest memories is sitting at my grandparent's kitchen table, drawing and cutting out little paper dolls of the Justice League and the Justice Society.

Nick_Ardill
05-17-2005, 07:06 PM
Because of him:
http://www.sequart.com/xmen/newXmen129.jpg

Is anyone doing anything with Phantomex anymore? Or is he like Beak and Angel. Just disappeared after Morrison left. Still think Beak is the best character since Douglok.

Mister Mets
05-17-2005, 07:15 PM
I really liked the Spider-Man comic strip, so I was really happy to find out abotu the Spider-Man comic books. I also became an early fan of the Sonic the hedgehog comics, and quickly liked the medium. My mother got pissed off that I was spending money on comic books, and told me to make my own, which is around when I wanted to become a comic book writer.

One good thing about when I came into the industry suring a really bad time (the spectator boom) so I have no nostalgia for the comic books of my childhood, and can thus appreciate a good comic book from any era.

RED!
05-17-2005, 07:23 PM
after reading one comic how can you NOT get addicted to them? Aside from the Name thing my brother (who chose my name) also worked at a comic book store where i spent a fair amount of time in the back room reading back issues of everything i could get my hands on.Thank you comics for teaching me to read! :D ...i'm an even bigger geek then i thought i was.....