PDA

View Full Version : Looking at the upcoming solicits for DC, I must ask

changingshades
07-14-2007, 04:04 PM
Is it so much to ask that I be able to pick up book that doesn't tie into a weekly comic that requires at least 5 books I don't normally read, be they minis or ongoing, in order to be understood?

Seriously, I've had it up to here with DC and am dropping everything that isn't JSA or written by Sean McKeever. Maybe Green Lantern, but I don't really want to get the Corps.

jason hissong
07-14-2007, 04:06 PM
Yes.

It is too much to ask.

ZombieSpeedball
07-14-2007, 04:07 PM
I know, it sucks. DC is at a very frustrating time for me. Read more Marvel instead.

DrMachine
07-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Is it so much to ask that I be able to pick up book that doesn't tie into a weekly comic that requires at least 5 books I don't normally read, be they minis or ongoing, in order to be understood?

Seriously, I've had it up to here with DC and am dropping everything that isn't JSA or written by Sean McKeever. Maybe Green Lantern, but I don't really want to get the Corps.

...but aren't you glad they didn't tie everything into 52?

Right now I'm reading GL books and JSA and Countdown...but I suspect Countdown will be off my pull list soon.

TIP
07-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Yeah!

When did things like this start happening? Thank Odin Marvel doesn't do things like this...otherwise I'd have nothing to read at all.

Whew!

T
(oh...wait...World War Hulk...Civil War...House of M...Annihilation...Endangered Species...er...uhm...er...)

Thommy Melanson
07-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Green Arrow: Year One #1 was alright.

Green Arrow generally is a pretty solid book.

Matt O'Keefe
07-14-2007, 04:17 PM
I know, it sucks. DC is at a very frustrating time for me. Read more creator-owned books instead.

Fixed:D

I'm just reading JSA, Detective & Green Lantern.

changingshades
07-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Yeah!

When did things like this start happening? Thank Odin Marvel doesn't do things like this...otherwise I'd have nothing to read at all.

Whew!

T
(oh...wait...World War Hulk...Civil War...House of M...Annihilation...Endangered Species...er...uhm...er...)

yeah, but I've been reading the books already that they crossovers spun out of, and, thanks to the recap page, I don't feel I have to read stuff I don't want to. Marvel, while grubbing my money, is at least nice about it. If I read the wrong book from DC in the wrong order, I'm spoiled on something or just confused as to what the hell is happening.

I don't know how to explain it any better, but DC just feels like one jumble of stories that tie to each other in random ways just to say they tie together. Marvel feels like an over arcing story that doesn't have to be read entirely to get the story but is enhanced if I do.

changingshades
07-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Green Arrow: Year One #1 was alright.

Green Arrow generally is a pretty solid book.

I liked Green Arrow, but decided to drop it with the relaunch

changingshades
07-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Fixed:D

I'm just reading JSA, Detective & Green Lantern.

I like creator owned books, and will give most anything a shot if someone recommends it, but I've only really stuck with a few things that are really creator owned and not just Vertigo or Image books.

Thommy Melanson
07-14-2007, 04:22 PM
My DC purchases have dropped to near-zilch.

Occasionally something will pique my interest, but the constant ping-ponging with the continuity makes me scramble for dramamine.

I like the Dr. Fate character, so I'll be picking up Countdown To Mystery #1 solely based on the cover.

chazbot
07-14-2007, 04:27 PM
buy more DC back issues instead :D

changingshades
07-14-2007, 04:28 PM
buy more DC back issues instead :D

I honestly can't think of any DC back issues I want to get. I completed my run of the giffen justice league (minus a few quarterlies) a while ago

DrMachine
07-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Yeah!

Whew!

T

The difference is in the way they are executed I bought Civil War and House of M minis only...none of the tie ins and followed the story just fine. I bought 1 Annihilation mini and then the main series...again no problem following it....WWH I'm not buying at all, same for Endangered species so I can't speak for them.

In Countdown they are specifically intercutting events that happened in JLA, JSA as well as implying that a main plot point (finding Ray Palmer and exploring the multiverse) will be done in a totally different series.

Thommy Melanson
07-14-2007, 04:33 PM
I honestly can't think of any DC back issues I want to get. I completed my run of the giffen justice league (minus a few quarterlies) a while ago

Ever read Giffen's Legion Of Substitute Heroes from around '86, '87?

That was one of my favorite books growing up.

The "Great Lakes Avengers" of its day.

changingshades
07-14-2007, 04:34 PM

yeah, some of it
I've only actually have the DC Presents issue where they team up with Superman

I wish DC would collect Giffen's LoSH run. I'd buy that in trades in a second.

Bedlam66
07-14-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm reading all the Monthly book that tie into countdown anyway and I'm reading the minis even if I'm not buying them. ( the Joys of working in a comic shop.) Besides I buy 90% of all my books in trade/HC format anyway.

Ray G.
07-14-2007, 04:37 PM
McKeever has said his Titans will cross as little into Countdown and events as he can.

Buy it. Or I brain youse. :)

Masculine Todd
07-14-2007, 04:38 PM
You could take this time to try Robin, which has no ties to any other DC title, and is, essentially, the Marvel equivalent of Ultimate Spider-Man under Adam Beechen's pen, while still maintaining a very unique feel. A strong superhero/teen drama title. For my money, it's the best ongoing DC is publishing at the moment and has been consistently entertaining since OYL.

changingshades
07-14-2007, 04:39 PM
McKeever has said his Titans will cross as little into Countdown and events as he can.

Buy it. Or I brain youse. :)
I'm picking up McKeever's Titans AND his BoP

but that is about it

chazbot

Dunno what all you own, but most my suggestions are from the mid/late 90s when I was big into DC and I can suggest tracking down the old Brave and the Bold by Waid, or Aztek, or Resurrection Man.
Nightwing and Hitman are both two you might have already collected, but any issues or trades you can pick up for them were great. I dunno, kind of like shooting in the dark.

Thommy Melanson
yeah, some of it
I've only actually have the DC Presents issue where they team up with Superman

I wish DC would collect Giffen's LoSH run. I'd buy that in trades in a second.

I'm specifically thinking of this issue...it was from '85, not later as I thought.

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/7488/sub17if.jpg

And I'd buy that trade in a heartbeat myself.

changingshades
07-14-2007, 04:40 PM
You could take this time to try Robin, which has no ties to any other DC title, and is, essentially, the Marvel equivalent of Ultimate Spider-Man under Adam Beechen's pen, while still maintaining a very unique feel. A strong superhero/teen drama title. For my money, it's the best ongoing DC is publishing at the moment and has been consistently entertaining since OYL.
I've tried it and didn't care for it.

TIP
07-14-2007, 04:41 PM

A classic.

T
(currently rereading my copies of Levitz/Giffen's run on LOSH)

Ray G.
07-14-2007, 04:42 PM

....For the last three issues of his run, at least.

I've loved it, but we have to hope that the next writer can carry on that feel.

Also, I would like to pimp Blue Beetle and Shadowpact, two books that could use the sales and generally tie in only rarely to Countdown. Blue Beetle had a fantastic issue a few weeks ago. It's also very close to USM in tone, in that it's a really realistic depiction of a teen superhero. And Shadowpact is just plain fun.

Patrick J
07-14-2007, 04:42 PM
I've already dropped most DC books. Not counting Vertigo or WildStorm I only read 5 DC books.

Green Arrow (Year One)
Green Lantern
GL Corps
Shadowpact
The Spirit

Anything else I'm just going to wait for trades so long as there's good buzz.

Freeway
07-14-2007, 04:43 PM
The only DC I read are JSA and JLA. I could care less about everyone else since the whole Infinite Crisis/Flash debacle.

YC Comics!
07-14-2007, 04:43 PM
yeah, I'm having enough trouble sticking with countdown itself, much less the fifteen thousand tie ins it now has. I just pray the Sinestro corps war is untouched by countdown.

Jerome Gibbons
07-14-2007, 04:44 PM
When did McKeever's Titans start? Or is that upcoming?

Ray G.
07-14-2007, 04:45 PM
When did McKeever's Titans start? Or is that upcoming?

50. One more likely dreadful Amazons Attack tie-in to go.

Jerome Gibbons
07-14-2007, 04:50 PM
50. One more likely dreadful Amazons Attack tie-in to go.

Cool, I was thinking about maybe giving it a look. I'll see how I can get my hands on it.

Wubbs
07-14-2007, 05:14 PM
I have the cure you seek. (http://www.dccomics.com/vertigo/)

changingshades
07-14-2007, 05:26 PM
I have the cure you seek. (http://www.dccomics.com/vertigo/)

I already get Fables, Y, Jack of Fables and...and I think that's it

bradical
07-14-2007, 05:50 PM
I'm specifically thinking of this issue...it was from '85, not later as I thought.

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/7488/sub17if.jpg

And I'd buy that trade in a heartbeat myself.

love that special

A classic.

T
(currently rereading my copies of Levitz/Giffen's run on LOSH)

my favorite older stuff. the shrinking violet storyline and the cosmic boy spotlight especially.

I already get Fables, Y, Jack of Fables and...and I think that's it

add ex machina in there, and i'm with you. currently i buy no main dc titles. i'm in for the legion stuff with johns and frank and will give booster gold a try, but even then, i'm wary.

changingshades
07-14-2007, 05:53 PM
love that special

my favorite older stuff. the shrinking violet storyline and the cosmic boy spotlight especially.

add ex machina in there, and i'm with you. currently i buy no main dc titles. i'm in for the legion stuff with johns and frank and will give booster gold a try, but even then, i'm wary.

I'll give Booster a try and I'm getting ex machina, but I consider that and Astro City more wildstorm than anything else