PDA

View Full Version : How does Paypal work?

Masculine Todd
07-05-2007, 04:30 PM
So, I'm considering registering with eBay 'cause I have a boatload of stuff I'd love to unload. I don't know how papal works, so, anyone that could give me a crash course, that would be much appreciated.

YouStayClassy
07-05-2007, 04:32 PM
You sign up for Paypal for free, and they take a cut of whatever money you make off auctions. If you sign up for a Premium Account (i.e. you accept credit cards), they take a little bit more.

It's all good though. 100% reliable, and they go after nonpayers and people that don't send stuff with a VENGEANCE.

Ryan Elliott
07-05-2007, 04:41 PM
You sign up for Paypal for free, and they take a cut of whatever money you make off auctions. If you sign up for a Premium Account (i.e. you accept credit cards), they take a little bit more.

It's all good though. 100% reliable, and they go after nonpayers and people that don't send stuff with a VENGEANCE.

I'll believe THAT when I see it.

YouStayClassy
07-05-2007, 04:43 PM
I'll believe THAT when I see it.

They've got my back on at least a dozen occasions. I've gotten 100% of my money back every single time.

bradical
07-05-2007, 04:47 PM
They've got my back on at least a dozen occasions. I've gotten 100% of my money back every single time.

that's good to know. i've bought a few things over the last few months and am going to start auctioning off most of my collection soon. plan on accepting paypal as my only form of payment.

Masculine Todd
07-05-2007, 04:48 PM

Thanks Justin.

How does Paypal give you money? If someone pays me through paypal, will paypal send my a money order or something to that effect?

YouStayClassy
07-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks Justin.

How does Paypal give you money? If someone pays me through paypal, will paypal send my a money order or something to that effect?

You put your bank account information on their completely secure file (bank #, routing #, that whole number), and then you can deposit the money from your Paypal account into your bank account. It takes 2-3 business days to do so.

They can also cut you a check, but I've never done it so I don't know how long that takes.

Brad N.
07-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks Justin.

It is connected thru your bank account or credit card or whatever and you can add funds any time you want (though it usually takes a few days to get transferred). When someone pays you via PayPal you can then withdraw up to $500 for the regular account per month from your PayPal account and transfer it to your designated bank account.

Edit: DRAT!

Tom G.
07-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks Justin.

You can do a direct deposit transfer to a bank account. If you're not comfortable with that you can get a paypal debit card that will let you spend whatever you have in you paypal account.

Masculine Todd
07-05-2007, 04:52 PM
You put your bank account information on their completely secure file (bank #, routing #, that whole number), and then you can deposit the money from your Paypal account into your bank account. It takes 2-3 business days to do so.

They can also cut you a check, but I've never done it so I don't know how long that takes.

Sounds awesome.

Will eBay take their commission directly from the money paid in paypal?

Oh, and sorry to continually bombard you with questions, but is ebay and paypal's commission predicated upon how much you make or how much you initially start your bidding at?

YouStayClassy
07-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Sounds awesome.

Will eBay take their commission directly from the money paid in paypal?

Oh, and sorry to continually bombard you with questions, but is ebay and paypal's commission predicated upon how much you make or how much you initially start your bidding at?

eBay takes a cut, and then Paypal takes a separate cut. It kind of sucks, but it's never anything too major. I just sold Twin Peaks season 2 on DVD for 28 bucks, and each company took around 2 bucks.

eBay takes their cut on how much you make at the end of the auction, and Paypal just takes a cut of however much gets put into your account.

Masculine Todd
07-05-2007, 05:09 PM
How is shipping configured? Do you have to ask the postal office how much it will cost and figure that into everything or does eBay establish shipping?

YouStayClassy
07-05-2007, 05:22 PM
How is shipping configured? Do you have to ask the postal office how much it will cost and figure that into everything or does eBay establish shipping?

eBay has a shipping calculator that rocks.

Or, you can do what I do, and charge a flat fee for shipping using those flat rate boxes. It made life MUCH easier for me.

Modok Gas
07-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Not that you're buying anything on Paypal now, but there is one precaution about Paypal.

If you pre-order something and pay with Paypal you should make sure that the item is available within 30 days. If the item is to be delivered after 30 days, you have no purchase protection from Paypal.

I found this out the hard way. I had bought a $250+ statue from the creepy company NonStop Toys and they never delivered anything. Paypal couldn't help me out since the pre-order period was so long. I should have used a credit cad instead.

You may have better follow-up if the item is pre-ordered on eBay.... but I wouldn't bank on it.