PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Help, Please!

Gail Simone
07-05-2007, 03:57 PM
I gots two problems with my PS3, and I'm not getting much help on their message boards, and you guys seem to know everything about anything and THAT'S GOOD!

Any help would be appreciated.

First, I had spotty online access through my PS3 from the beginning...mostly it wouldn't connect even though my wireless router works fine with my laptop and such. But then it just wouldn't connect at all. It always says, "This is a DNS error."

Is that correctable?

Second, I've heard a lot of people have this problem, but even brand new ps2 games look very muddy and terrible on the PS3. I just bought Ratatouille (ps2 version) and it looks like the bottom of a tub of vaseline that's been used for weeks by Robin Williams.

What's that about? I've heard there's a fix but I don't know what it is.

Help me Obi Wan Benbonobi! You're my only hope!

Thanks!

Gail

Buk Was Right
07-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Some games don't look good in the 1080i setting so you have to force your ps3 into 720p mode.

I have no idea how to do this, as I do not own a ps3, but I've read about it.

Fat Randy
07-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Make sure you have all the current updates. The updates have upscale and other graphic enhancers for PS2

For the internet stuff try moving your router closer the wifi is very short.

Let me know if this help if not I have other ideas

DrMachine
07-05-2007, 04:08 PM
Wouldn't it be great if this thread were merged with the "all things ps3" thread.

:lol:

Gail Simone
07-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Sure, merge away. Sorry, forgot for some reason.

But I can't really move my router, so any other idears?

Gail

Lyfeforce
07-05-2007, 04:12 PM

Gail

places like Best Buy and Circuit City have range boosters for wireless signals, that might help alot.

However, nine times out of ten, the best answer always comes back to having a wired connection. It might even fix your gateway (DNS) problem.

Jake
07-05-2007, 04:14 PM
I've always had the problem that when I log into my X-Box 360, the network for my PS3 get cut off giving me that "DNS Error" message. Likewise when I finally log into my PS3 - the 360's network gets dropped. That might be the same problem for you too, Gail. As for a solution, I wish I knew. :(

DrMachine
07-05-2007, 04:15 PM

Gail

Don't apologize to me, I'm no fan of the "MEGA THREAD" nonsense. They are too difficult to find things in.

I'd connect it to the net with a cable first and get the updates...could be there is a fix for the wifi in there somewhere.

kari
07-05-2007, 05:08 PM
First off go get the latest update for your PS3 online. If you are unable to get that go into the PS3 menu change the resolution to whatever the resolution of the game is.

I hope that helps!

P.S. I don't have a wireless router so I don't know how to fix that problem.
-Noble

Fat Randy
07-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Have you done the simple things likes power cycle?

haloJONES
07-06-2007, 04:01 PM
call 1-800-nintendo-I-am-stupid

Fat Randy
07-12-2007, 06:53 PM
I was wondering if Gail got her PS3 issue fixed

Akira
07-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Hey Gail, for you router check that you have the latest firmware update. I had that issue when I got my new router. A quick firmware fix on my router and it was all good. After that, make sure that you get the latest PS3 firmware update. It will actually make your old DVDs and PS2 games look better than they did on your old systems. Hope this helps.

Modok Gas
07-12-2007, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure how accurate this is. I read this from a review earlier today:

"After hours and hours of talking with sony and linksys I finally got my ps3 to be able to connect to the store. It turned out that I had a old router and I needed to get the most recent one which is the 802.1g."

Gail Simone
07-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Hey Gail, for you router check that you have the latest firmware update. I had that issue when I got my new router. A quick firmware fix on my router and it was all good. After that, make sure that you get the latest PS3 firmware update. It will actually make your old DVDs and PS2 games look better than they did on your old systems. Hope this helps.

How do I check for that, Jared, do you know?

And thanks, everyone!

Gail

Smokinblues
07-13-2007, 10:30 AM
How do I check for that, Jared, do you know?

And thanks, everyone!

Gail
instructions should have come with your router, or you can find them on the website for your router.

depending on who made your router, the router has an i.p. address that logs you into the settings, etc. for linksys it's usually 192.168.1.1, my dlink is 192.168.0.1. Default password is usually admin or something like that. In those settings there should be a place to update firmware.

Gail Simone
07-13-2007, 10:59 AM
thanks, guys! Trying that now!

Gail

Akira
07-13-2007, 11:05 AM
instructions should have come with your router, or you can find them on the website for your router.

depending on who made your router, the router has an i.p. address that logs you into the settings, etc. for linksys it's usually 192.168.1.1, my dlink is 192.168.0.1. Default password is usually admin or something like that. In those settings there should be a place to update firmware.

You can also check the manufacturer's website. Thier FAQ section will tell you what their latest firmware is and when it was made availible. Out of curiosity, what brand of modem do you have?

Corey A.
07-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Go back to your Xbox 360.