PDA

View Full Version : Bought/Thought: 7/5/07

andrew french
07-05-2007, 11:03 AM
All Star Superman 8- Ridiculous.

but really cool.

The dialogue hurt my head after a while, but it was still amusing. I really like the Zibarro character, and it was cool to see Bizarro Justice League (the explanation for Bizarro Batman was hilarious).

Though, I was disappointed in the reveal to Lois, but otherwise, it's still my favorite comic from the big companies.

Jef UK
07-05-2007, 11:10 AM
I bought

ASS - That was appropriately Bizzare! Still one of my favorite series on the shelves when it comes out. I can't wait for an Absolute, one day. I reread this last night, along with Thor, and I have to say, I enjoyed it so much more. Bizarro speak isn't really hard, people.

Punisher 49 - I love this book. With issue #50, I'm going to go back and amass the hardcovers and give up the singles.

Thor 1 - I liked this. Slow opening, I guess, and people are going to complain that "nothing happened" but I liked the sense of mysticism and portent that JMS and Coipel infused in to the book. That said, I'll wait for the trade to read the rest. I love the way Coipel portray's Thor's face and bone structure. He looks at once Nordic and otherworldly.

Fallen Son #5: overall, I liked this little series. Beautiful Cassaday art. Good, interesting take on the fate of Cap's body.

Marvel Zombies v. Army of Darkness #5: I love the Marvel Zombies world. I don't care how many times they dip in to this well, as long as everytime is as fun as this and the previous series were.

nihilance
07-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Thor 1 - I liked this. Slow opening, I guess, and people are going to complain that "nothing happened" but I liked the sense of mysticism and portent that JMS and Coipel infused in to the book. That said, I'll wait for the trade to read the rest. I love the way Coipel portray's Thor's face and bone structure. He looks at once Nordic and otherworldly.

Yeah...I picked it up and flipped through it. When I saw what it had to offer I put it back on the shelf. I might get the first trade should things pick up, but I said the same thing for the first issue of JMS's Dr. Strange a few years ago so I'm not sweating the decision.

Y the Last Man was pretty good. Can't believe it took Yorick by surprise that Beth was about to break up with him right as the plague hit though. I did NOT like the dialogue where Beth and Yorick talk about how no answer would have been satisfactory. That seems like such a self-conscious crutch when writers insert that in a story, and fans eat it up every time.

Really liked the scene with 355 and the misunderstanding regarding the gun. I hate to think that she's probably going to die in the next 3 issues now because she gave up that weapon though.

Marcdachamp
07-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Oy. Not only did Runaways sell out at my shop (wasn't in my pullbox, either), but I accidently picked up two copies of AoD/Marvel Zombies.

Matt Jay
07-05-2007, 11:50 AM
I received so many trades this week from a mailing service that I could post in this thread for a couple weeks. Instead, I will bequeth to you only a few of my impressions as I have read them.

Ultimate Fantastic Four: Devils tpb- Carey knocks it out of the park again. This time, he Ultimizes the uber-lame Diablo, and naturally, makes him cool. Great character moments all around, and some surprisingly funny scenes. The art was much better in this trade than the last, and it even has some Immonen goodness in the annual. This book deserves more props. 9/10

Fantastic Four: Disassembled tpb- Jesus this sucks. Granted, I'm only halfway through so it could get better, but it's damn hard to force myself to read it. It'd be nicer if I had some Wieringo art to distract myself from the writing, but I haven't yet gotten to his part. Definitely not Waid's best. 4/10 so far, I may change my opinion when (if?) I finish it.

Marcdachamp
07-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Fantastic Four: Disassembled tpb- Jesus this sucks. Granted, I'm only halfway through so it could get better, but it's damn hard to force myself to read it. It'd be nicer if I had some Wieringo art to distract myself from the writing, but I haven't yet gotten to his part. Definitely not Waid's best. 4/10 so far, I may change my opinion when (if?) I finish it.

Does that cover the issues where Sue and Johnny switch powers? If so, yes, it gets a LOT better.

Matt Jay
07-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Does that cover the issues where Sue and Johnny switch powers? If so, yes, it gets a LOT better.

Is that where Johnny becomes Herald to Galactus? I think that starts at the end of this trade. I hope it gets better. So far I just finished up the Frightful Four arc.

Freeway
07-05-2007, 12:07 PM
If 355 and Yorick do not hook up, I will be sad.

Ryan F
07-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Another great week.

Uncanny X-Men #488 - This book is still dragging a bit under Bru, which surprises the hell out of me. We're still setting up the arc, but it is a promising set-up, and I'm excited to see where things go from here. Speculation: It'd be cool if the precog stuff is connected to Destiny's Diaries - that subplot got a shitty ending. Also, maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'm starting to feel like Xavier is a Skrull.7/10
Endangered Species #2 - Great stuff. It's short, so it's mostly just Beast climbing Wundagore Mountain, but very well executed. I think this is going to be a great weekly story. 9/10

Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America: Civil War Tie-in: Subtitle Extravaganza: Iron Man: Acceptance: Dealin' With It - This was pretty solid with some beautiful splash pages from Cassaday. I liked what they did with the body. Sorta light otherwise. 7/10

Thor #1 - First of all, Coipel is my favorite artist right now (rivalled only by JH Williams), so it's worth the price of admission just to look at his stuff (even though I don't think this is the best fit for him). Storywise: good job bringing Thor back from the dead - straightforward and fair to the preceding story. I'm also glad it gives us Donald Blake back, who was always a great anchor for the cosmic character. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes - a solid start. 9/10

Runaways #27 - This issue was jam packed with goodness. I loved all the stuff with the Wonders. Great cliffhanger! 9.5/10 Book of the week.

New Warriors #2 - This is just barely keeping my interest. While I like using Sofia as the POV character and building things gradually, this is moving a tad too slowly. Still, it's a good idea, and other than the pacing, very well executed. I'm intrigued. 7/10

Action #851 - 3D sucks. Ridiculous delays to integral storylines suck. Nevertheless, some decent ideas (especially at the end). 5/10

ASS #8 - Bizarro hurts my brain. Morrison does some great stuff with Zibarro and Supe's escape (and builds some great suspense to boot). I still contend that these Bizarro issues have been the low-point of an otherwise excellent book. 8/10

Y the Last Man #57 - BKV plays the B&Y reunion perfectly - it's emotional, it's satisying, and it's heartbreaking. I'm also worried about 355 now, even though that was a great scene. I'm not rating issues this book anymore - this arc is too dependent on the finale for validation - but it's looking promising so far.

UltimateFactor
07-05-2007, 12:15 PM
If 355 and Yorick do not hook up, I will be sad.

If Yorick, doesn't hook up with 355 AND both Beth's, I will be sad. He needs to father an army with them being his baby momma triad. :twisted:

Marcdachamp
07-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Is that where Johnny becomes Herald to Galactus? I think that starts at the end of this trade. I hope it gets better. So far I just finished up the Frightful Four arc.

Didn't even read the Frightful Four arc. I think that arc was Kesel, and his FF stories aren't for me. The Glactus stuff is great, though. Keep with it.

Transformers Spotlight: Galvatron- PICK OF THE WEEK! Simon Furman is really knocking the IDW books out of the park. Instead of rehashing the past (like Dreamwave's ill fated books), he gives us interesting new takes on classic characters. For example, here's Galvatron. His personality remains intact, but he's no longer the same bot as Megatron. Instead, he's a powerful new foe. Dreamwave's blunders may have been big, but it brought us a few great gems, one of which being the very talented Guido Guidi. Guidi impresses with some stunning visuals, and some great Cybertronian takes on classic characters. Major props on using some forgotten Generation 2 characters, as well. Skram was my first Transformer, and I still have Leadfoot. Plus, this issue gets some big points for tying in more with the last arc (Escalation). Often times these spotlights are a little too distantly tied in. 9/10

Fallen Son- Well, the mini has ended. Some felt it was filler, but I can't deny the power Loeb brought across with some of the most talented artists Marvel has. This issue is the always amazing John Cassaday. Cassaday gives us some breathtaking visuals this issue, while Loeb gives us Cap's final goodbye, and a resting place I hadn't considered. Here's hoping the death sticks, because Marvel has crafted a fantastic send off for the legend. 9/10

New Warriors- A slower start than last issue, but I'm falling in love with this book's premise. Civil War has reinvigorated a lot of books. Here's hoping Grevioux keeps it up. 8/10

Ant-Man- I'm gonna miss this book. Only two issues left with a lot of ground to cover. I really hope Kirkman doesn't kill off Eric at the end. It'd be a shame to lose such a fun character. 8/10

New Avengers/Transformers- Goofy, but fun. I'm glad Cap's attitude was explained, I was worried Moore was doing a poor job with his characterization. Slow start, but I'm eager for the rest of this mini. I hope we actually get a few of them. There's tons of potential to include the Initiative and Galactus and Unicron (Furman doesn't plan on using him anyway) at some point. 8/10

Marvel Zombies/AoD- A fun end to a fun mini. Nothing could touch Nextwave's awesome appearance earlier in the mini, but the end of this issue definitely keeps the fun tone of the end of the first one. Glad I picked this up, even if the AoD stuff had me lost a few times. 8/10

Dark Tower- Starting to regret this. It's just not keeping my attention. Oh well, just one more issue. It really is a beautiful sight, though. 5/10

Matt Jay
07-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Didn't even read the Frightful Four arc. I think that arc was Kesel, and his FF stories aren't for me. The Glactus stuff is great, though. Keep with it.

Ah! It's not Waid! That makes sense. Thanks!

andrew french
07-05-2007, 12:43 PM
did anyone pick up that Lapham OGN? i don't have the money right now, but it's something i want to check out. I think it's called Silverfish.

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-05-2007, 12:44 PM
did anyone pick up that Lapham OGN? i don't have the money right now, but it's something i want to check out. I think it's called Silverfish.

I wanted to pick it up, but I'm lacking in funds.

andrew french
07-05-2007, 12:44 PM
ASS #8 - Bizarro hurts my brain. Morrison does some great stuff with Zibarro and Supe's escape (and builds some great suspense to boot). I still contend that these Bizarro issues have been the low-point of an otherwise excellent book. 8/10

i agree. i'm not disappointed to any real extent, i'm glad to have gotten a sillier arc, as i'm sure the final four issues will be pretty serious (god i don't want this book to end.. ever).

andrew french
07-05-2007, 12:46 PM
I wanted to pick it up, but I'm lacking in funds.

we gotta sell some plasma, brother.

Marcdachamp
07-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Ah! It's not Waid! That makes sense. Thanks!

No problem. I'm PRETTY sure it's not Waid, but I could be wrong. Like I said, stick it out, that next arc is a lot better. 'Ringo rocks with the cosmic stuff.

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-05-2007, 12:48 PM
we gotta sell some plasma, brother.

Amen.

nihilance
07-05-2007, 01:20 PM

I picked it up but have not read it yet. It's a gorgeous little book though. Really looking forward to it.

Fake Pat
07-05-2007, 02:09 PM
ASS is deep-fried heaven dipped in chocalate.
8 certainly isn't the best issue so far, but it remains light-years ahead of the competition.
9.5/10

Besides that:

Runaways: Awesome. 9/10
Ant-Man: Fairly Awesome. 8.5/10
Thor: Very close to awesome. 8/10
Fallen Son: Much more awesome than I expected. 7.5/10

jamestolliver
07-05-2007, 02:15 PM
ASS is deep-fried heaven dipped in chocalate.
8 certainly isn't the best issue so far, but it remains light-years ahead of the competition.
9.5/10

Besides that:

Runaways: Awesome. 9/10
Ant-Man: Fairly Awesome. 8.5/10
Thor: Very close to awesome. 8/10
Fallen Son: Much more awesome than I expected. 7.5/10

How did they send cap off if you don't mind spoiling it for me?

Fake Pat
07-05-2007, 02:30 PM
How did they send cap off if you don't mind spoiling it for me?

There's a big public service at Arlington where Falcon speaks, then at the very end Stark, Jan, and Hank take the real body to the arctic where Namor sinks it to the bottom of the sea and promises to protect the body at all costs. Cooler than it sounds, and Cassaday's art ain't too shabby either

bradical
07-05-2007, 03:02 PM
i really enjoyed all star supes. better tha the last issue with a good kind of silly to it.

the cover is my favorite of the year and a top fiver for image of the year.

Clayton James
07-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Action Comics: I knew we were going to get an ending like that. Luthor and everyone else who have been trying to kill superman for years are about to kill themselves some kryptonians. The 3-D is SO much better than I thought it would have been. It works really well with the cover and with all the shards dancing around in the Phantom Zone. I really like these creators and can't wait untill the book gets back on schedual with the Bizarro arc and Legion stuff. 8/10

All-Star Superman: Then again, the Bizarro stuff here is kinda annoying so maybe I should just look forward to the Legion stuff. most of All-Star has been about taking the silver age wackiness and adding a sense of wonder and cool to it, but this was just kind of bland and annoying. and i guess thats the point. cause its ... bizarro world... but still.. it wasnt fun to read. Plus superman was kind of a dick to Zibarro. What is it with that El family and only making the space ship big enough for one? 6/10

Thor: I've never had a problem with JMS and pacing. I still don't. Which surprises me because after reading and enjoying this book I realized that from any other team, the pace would have irked me. Yeah, theres a primer on who thor is... but its so beautifully drawn. There's a sense of mysticism here that I enjoyed in Spider-man even when it was sorely out of place. Here it fits and works all the better. btw, the Ironman bit is in issue 3. So we hopefully get 2 issues without Civil War. And if this really is about defining Thor's place in the MU, Iroman is a figure you really cant sidestep. 9/10

Wolf-Man: Things were going way too well for Wolfie so I guess the ending was to be expected. Its shaping to be an interesting book. I was afraid is wasn't going to be different from Invincible to merit me reading it. With the invincible homages, it felt like Kirkman addressed those sentiments and then tried his best to dismiss them with the last page. I'm actually digging this more than I thought. I'll keep it on my pull. 8/10

Patton
07-05-2007, 05:16 PM

I wanted that and the Jimmy Olsen Transformations book but am broke.

ASS was great. I really felt bad for Zibarro. It was very heartbreaking in that Morrison way. I didn't hate the Bizarro speak. It was kinda like watching a foreign film, in a way.

YouStayClassy
07-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Y The Last Man 57 - Damn. I was PRAYING the arc wouldn't continue like this, and instead would have gone the "wrap-up months/years later" route. This is probably the first issue of Y I've outlike disliked, for several reasons:

1. The break up was way too predictible, and something that we pretty much knew in the first issue way back when.

2. I HATE cliffhanger endings where the character learns something we, the readers, already knew.

3. Beth couldn't hook up with a Lady Bic or a Venus 3?! COME ON!

But this is still Vaughan. I'm still confident without a shadow of a doubt the book'll end very strong.

New Avengers/Transformers 1 my Book Of The Week. I've been turning into a cranky old man and bemoaning the lack of fun comics in the wake of NextWave's and Ant-Man's untimely ends, and this, in part makes up for it. Along with the Army Of Darkness, Mavel's putting out some HELLA FUN old school minis lately, and I'm loving them for it. This was pretty much a warm up for the fun, but damn I loved every single panel. Stuart Moore, God Bless you.

Fallen Son Iron Man - Marvel's character assassination of Hank Pym continues unabated. I can't wait til he smacks down Jan again. That's all I have to say about this issue really. I could say Cassady's art nearly make my eyes explode out of my head, but what Cassady art DOESN'T do that.

And, now that I think about it, the last few pages were quite choice. AWESOME use of Namor there.

Justice League Of America 10 - little behind, but my LCS finally got some copies in. I've missed the previous 2 chapters of the book so I was pretty lost, but it's all irrelevant. Wally's back, and the world's a little brighter for it.

Marcdachamp
07-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Fallen Son Iron Man - Marvel's character assassination of Hank Pym continues unabated. I can't wait til he smacks down Jan again.

Classy, what are you talking about? Was there something I missed?

YouStayClassy
07-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Classy, what are you talking about? Was there something I missed?

I strongly believe Marvel's going out of their way to make Pym look like the biggest jackass, biggest moron, biggest idiot possible. And this issue only confirms my theory. Case in point:

That panel with him acting stupid talking about Tony and Carol possibly hooking up. I mean, I'm sure that's all he thinks about is petty shit and not the death of one of his best and most respected friends.

Marcdachamp
07-05-2007, 06:50 PM
I strongly believe Marvel's going out of their way to make Pym look like the biggest jackass, biggest moron, biggest idiot possible. And this issue only confirms my theory. Case in point:

That panel with him acting stupid talking about Tony and Carol possibly hooking up. I mean, I'm sure that's all he thinks about is petty shit and not the death of one of his best and most respected friends.

Ah, I kind of glanced over that.

Andrew j
07-05-2007, 07:27 PM
The First Criminal Trade: Pretty much everything I don't like about crime stories. Humorless, melodramatic and uninteresting. Don't think I'll be reading anymore.

Defenders Indefensible Trade: Not as good as their JLA goofs, except that it was Maguires best work(king of the facial expressions). Some of the humor seemed forced but I did still laugh out loud a few times. Hope these guys keep working together.

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Y The Last Man 57 - Damn. I was PRAYING the arc wouldn't continue like this, and instead would have gone the "wrap-up months/years later" route. This is probably the first issue of Y I've outlike disliked, for several reasons:

1. The break up was way too predictible, and something that we pretty much knew in the first issue way back when.

2. I HATE cliffhanger endings where the character learns something we, the readers, already knew.

3. Beth couldn't hook up with a Lady Bic or a Venus 3?! COME ON!

But this is still Vaughan. I'm still confident without a shadow of a doubt the book'll end very strong.

Those things didn't bother me nearly as much.

1. Yes, it was predictable, but it's been foreshadowed since issue 1. It had to play out in some capacity. Will they get back together? Maybe.

2. Eh, the ending didn't bother me. It was a nice revelation for her and mirrored nicely the shock that Yorick felt earlier in the issue (though how he could possibly be so surprised astounds me).

3. Heh. Yeah, I noticed that, too. But, that's never been a big issue with me. :D

Michael John Wheeler
07-05-2007, 08:29 PM
I loved ASS 8. Going from the slow first issue into this wacky second one was great. Zibarro proved to be so much more interesting than he intially seemed at the end of the first one.

YouStayClassy
07-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Those things didn't bother me nearly as much.

1. Yes, it was predictable, but it's been foreshadowed since issue 1. It had to play out in some capacity. Will they get back together? Maybe.

2. Eh, the ending didn't bother me. It was a nice revelation for her and mirrored nicely the shock that Yorick felt earlier in the issue (though how he could possibly be so surprised astounds me).

3. Heh. Yeah, I noticed that, too. But, that's never been a big issue with me. :D

1. I really hope they don't. Yorick and 355 all the way baby!

2. Visually, it was awesome how Beth's page mirrored Yorick's. Those non-reveal cliffhangers REALLY grind my gears though.

3. No guy wants to go down on a gorilla salad. ;)

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-05-2007, 10:09 PM
1. I really hope they don't. Yorick and 355 all the way baby!

2. Visually, it was awesome how Beth's page mirrored Yorick's. Those non-reveal cliffhangers REALLY grind my gears though.

3. No guy wants to go down on a gorilla salad. ;)

1. Yeah, I feel the same way, that's why the breakup doesn't bother me.

2. I guess not every issue can have a killer cliffhanger.

3. It wasn't THAT bad.

YouStayClassy
07-05-2007, 10:14 PM
1. Yeah, I feel the same way, that's why the breakup doesn't bother me.

2. I guess not every issue can have a killer cliffhanger.

3. It wasn't THAT bad.
Y The Last Man 57
1. How great would it have been if the previous issue ended with Yorick just walking away from Beth and looking for 355? Kinda like in Swingers when Jon Favreau hung up on his girlfriend at the end?

2. I know, but this is the final stretch of Y The Last Man! Probably the most consistent, quality book of the past 5 years. My expectations are too sky high me fears.

3. :lol:

You're talking to a guy who thinks those Playboy centerfolds are hairy, so I'm probably the wrong guy to listen to on the topic.

scouser
07-06-2007, 02:55 AM
Loners 4. 7/10

A good issue, nothing stellar except from the very heavy hints that Julie Power is a lesbian.

Thor 1. 7/10

Another good issue again nothing mind blowing story wise but Copiels art was amazing. Plus Im sure that they have done the Asgardian Gods living as mortals before. It was just after Onslaught when Thor's book reverted back into Journey into Mystery.

New Warriors 2 7/10 (God, its been quite bland this week!)

Again just good not great. It needs to pick up the pace a bit to keep me interested and bring back Firestar to never leave!

SteveZegers
07-06-2007, 05:04 AM
Action Comics #851 3-D Variant Edition $3.99 This book was so great. (And heck yeah I got the 3-D version.) But as beautiful as it was, I cant see why it took so much longer than a regular book. As much as I loved it, it just shows such a huge amount of wasted potential. Bit of a shame really.

All Star Superman #8 $2.99 There was something really beautiful but sad about this issue. Not as much fun as the others have been, but very satisfying in its own way and the art is geat.

Amazing Transformations Of Jimmy Olsen TP $14.99 What a wonderful collection of some truly goofy comics. This is just my kind of book.

Black Canary Vol 3 #1 $2.99 Dinah dresses kind of slutty to take a kid to the Burger King. This issue was better than I was expecting.

Countdown #43 $2.99 The funeral stuff was really well done. Not sure how I feel about the Monarch stuff. I dont get why Captain Atom went bad so suddenly.

Detective Comics #834 $2.99 I spend too much time trying to figure out what Zatanna is saying. Makes the book take too long to read.

Supergirl Vol 5 #19 $2.99 Again, wasted potential. I really hope they can turn this book and character around. It just jumped from place to place with weak connections and a headband. The end was kind of sweet, but it was a tough trip to get there. Really nice art though. Wish this team was sticking around.

Y The Last Man #57 $2.99 This book made me really sad, even with all the nudity.

True Story Swear To God Vol 2 #7 $3.50- Very good as always. Im always really impressed that Tom is willing to let us readers in so much. Its one of the things that makes this book so special.

Fallen Son Death Of Captain America Iron Man John Cassaday Cover $2.99 Really beautiful, no one draws a better Cap. (Thing looked weird) I dont know though. Still trying to show us that Ironman isnt so bad, Hank and Janet are together for some reason (And yet Hank is something of a moron). So some good, but some bad.

Runaways Vol 2 #27 $2.99 This time travel things seems out of place. I do like the old timey superheroes.

Ultimate Power #6 $2.99 Is this the same fight that stared 4 issues ago? This has to be the slowest book ever.

Uncanny X-Men #488 $2.99 Im having a hard time caring about these characters. I guess all the X-Men I like are in Astonishing.

nihilance
07-06-2007, 05:35 AM
Y The Last Man #57 $2.99 This book made me really sad, even with all the nudity.

:lol:

SeanC
07-06-2007, 05:56 AM
You're all making me scared to read Y: The Last Man this month. It sounds like I don't want anything that happens inside the book to actually come to pass.

If I don't read it then it never happened, right? Right!? :surrend:

nihilance
07-06-2007, 06:12 AM
You're all making me scared to read Y: The Last Man this month. It sounds like I don't want anything that happens inside the book to actually come to pass.

If I don't read it then it never happened, right? Right!? :surrend:

The only problem I had with it is that it almost reads like the last arc (or major portions of dialogue) were written back during issue one and Vaughn has grown a lot as a writer since then and it stands out badly.

YouStayClassy
07-06-2007, 06:27 AM
The only problem I had with it is that it almost reads like the last arc (or major portions of dialogue) were written back during issue one and Vaughn has grown a lot as a writer since then and it stands out badly.

Well, I'm thinking Vaughan is going to take the ol' classic ending of a guy going on a huge adventure to find his long lost love only to have her reject him along the way and add a patented Y The Last Man twist to it. That just HAS to be it.

Matt Jay
07-06-2007, 06:39 AM
FF: Disassembled tpb part 2 (see earlier in this thread for the thrilling first installment!): Ok, very glad I finished this one. Great stuff. Waid's dialogue and characterization is pitch perfect. The story itself reminds me of Byrne's FF but with the fun turned up. Ringo's pencils fit perfectly. I don't usually like these kinds of "fun" books but there's a spark here that is hard to deny. 8/10 for this part.

X-Factor Visionaries vol. 2 tpb- I loved this book as a kid. As I am now....meh. He addressed some interesting themes but the execution failed. The humor fell flat and the pop-culture references, while maybe funny 15 years ago, are groan-inducing. Not the good stuff I remember. Even Keown's pencils seem to be missing something. I'm glad PAD has grown as a writer since then, but that doesn't make this any more palatable. I'm going to leave the rest of his old X-Factor to my memory, where it is much better. 3/10

Thunderbolts: Guardian Protocols tpb- I've been keeping up with this title ever since the New Avengers trade. I haven't been impressed with it since that trade. There some good stuff here (I love the Wellspring-as-the-source-of-powers thing) and bad stuff (the cosmic stuff feels silly when tied into the gritty CW stuff). I love the art, and I hope he still has some steady work since almost any book would benefit from his talent. Glad to see how these characters ended up, even though the Atlas thing is WTF-inducing. 5/10- not good, not bad.

Doug
07-06-2007, 06:55 AM
Nobody read Faker by Mike Carey and Jock? The first issue sets up a nice little mystery and a group of 5 friends who for the most part seem pretty sad, and one down right evil (Jessie). When their fifth friend Nick shows up, the other four are the only ones on campus who recognize him.

I'm sure later in the series we'll find out what is really up with Angel's Kiss (unless it is a huge McGuffin).

Carey has set up an interesting mystery, and Jock's art is fantastic as always.

8/10, but we'll see how it ends.

tavella
07-06-2007, 07:15 AM
Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America: Civil War Tie-in: Subtitle Extravaganza: Iron Man: Acceptance: Dealin' With It - This was pretty solid with some beautiful splash pages from Cassaday. I liked what they did with the body. Sorta light otherwise. 7/10

I know we were supposed to be all sentimental and "look how symmetrical!" about the ice burial, but all I could do was grit my teeth in irritation. Yes, it's Marvel's official ideology now that Iron Man is right in all things and the only people that oppose him are those too stupid to understand what is best for them (or evil Skrulls), but where the fuck did Tony Stark get off deciding where Steve would be buried? He kind of gave up that right when he said "sure, we'll hunt him down for you, Mr. President". How about Sam Wilson, who was as close to Cap as Tony ever was, and unlike Tony went looking for Cap to help him when death squads were chasing him. Let someone who was actually his friend when he died make the decisions.

charlie
07-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Nobody read Faker by Mike Carey and Jock? The first issue sets up a nice little mystery and a group of 5 friends who for the most part seem pretty sad, and one down right evil (Jessie). When their fifth friend Nick shows up, the other four are the only ones on campus who recognize him.

I'm sure later in the series we'll find out what is really up with Angel's Kiss (unless it is a huge McGuffin).

Carey has set up an interesting mystery, and Jock's art is fantastic as always.

8/10, but we'll see how it ends.

I read it, liked it a lot. I am not normally a Carey fan, but I am intrigued by the premise and am definitely on board for this series. I mentioned yesterday that I am a big fan of Jock's art and was not disappointed. Kudos to Carey for hitting the ground running -- it seemed like a lot of action was squeezed into this 1st issue, a stark contrast to this week's Thor. I will bump this up to a 9/10 and am really looking forward to the rest of the series.

I would review more, but I only read 7 of the 14 (!) books I got this week, not counting Silverfish, which looks wonderful. Did noybody have a chance to read it yet?

Cth
07-06-2007, 07:24 AM
RE: Y the Last Man..

Didn't Preacher have a similar fake out in their next to last issue?

(Haven't had a chance to get Y yet, just speculating..)

YouStayClassy
07-06-2007, 08:57 AM
RE: Y the Last Man..

Didn't Preacher have a similar fake out in their next to last issue?

(Haven't had a chance to get Y yet, just speculating..)

Well, in Preacher the next to last issue fakeout was Jesse dying. God brought him back in the next issue. At the beginning of the last issue, Tulip leaves Jesse but they reconcile at the very end.

In Y, we still have 3 issues to go, so the field's still wide open hopefully.

Marcdachamp
07-06-2007, 08:58 AM
FF: Disassembled tpb part 2 (see earlier in this thread for the thrilling first installment!): Ok, very glad I finished this one. Great stuff. Waid's dialogue and characterization is pitch perfect. The story itself reminds me of Byrne's FF but with the fun turned up. Ringo's pencils fit perfectly. I don't usually like these kinds of "fun" books but there's a spark here that is hard to deny. 8/10 for this part.

Told ya so. ;)

Kingsumo
07-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Maybe I am getting too much sun or something, but I absolutely loved all of my titles this week. So, with that...

Ant Man #10: God I love this series. There were some great lines, and I really like the way they handled him freaking out on Abigail last issue. I really think this could have gone on a lot further then 12 issues. Love that Black Fox stole his Wii. The only thing funnier then a random joke is making it a running one. well played. 9/10

Fallen Son: Iron Man: The end of what was really a filler run. I thought it was well written, and just the right amount of sadness invoked. This does lose points for making Pym look like either a dick or a moron, but the rest was good. 8/10

As an aside, I am so very sick of peoples hate of Stark. Marvel at no point said he was the devil, nor is he the pope. Ultimately, he is human, and he is going to make mistakes, and he has said he is doing what he thinks is best. Ok.. I feel better now.

Loners #4: I really have no idea where this story is going, but honestly, it has been a good ride thus far. For all that I view this as one of my fluff titles I am going to be a little sad when it ends. This issue had some funny moments, and some decent dialogue. All told, C.B. does some great work. 8/10

Marvel Zombies / AOD #5: Really, it is what it is. 7/10

New Avengers / Transformers #1: How this book pulled off not being completely cheese, I am not sure. This was actually a decent read with some pretty artwork. Not award winning by any stretch, but this makes a great replacement for Marvel Zombies / AOD being at an end. 7/10

New Warriors 2: Well shit. I want to say I like this book, I really really do. But honestly this seems to be just someone in the Night Thrasher costume leading the new mutants Story is ok but still really really slow, and the artwork just grates on me. It is pretty, but at one point Iron Man and Ms Marvel look to be about 18. Just does not fly. I will give this one more shot, but if something does not happen next issue it goes in the drop pile. 5/10

Thor #1: More in the BB review thread, but, I am glad I opted to pick this up. Nice read, pretty pictures. 8/10.

Ryan F
07-06-2007, 09:28 AM
I know we were supposed to be all sentimental and "look how symmetrical!" about the ice burial, but all I could do was grit my teeth in irritation. Yes, it's Marvel's official ideology now that Iron Man is right in all things and the only people that oppose him are those too stupid to understand what is best for them (or evil Skrulls), but where the fuck did Tony Stark get off deciding where Steve would be buried? He kind of gave up that right when he said "sure, we'll hunt him down for you, Mr. President". How about Sam Wilson, who was as close to Cap as Tony ever was, and unlike Tony went looking for Cap to help him when death squads were chasing him. Let someone who was actually his friend when he died make the decisions.

I don't get the kneejerk reactions to Iron Man. I think its clear that editorial is pretty ambivalent about Iron Man - the impression I get from most books is that his motives are good, but the means he uses go too far, which I think is a great take. Not everything has to be black and white.

Anyway, for all we know, Sam ok'd the second burial site or said "I don't care." It's by far the most fitting place with the possible exception of Arlington (where he got a service and burial as well). It also makes for a cool beginning to the inevitable 'Return of Steve Rogers" story (hopefully many many years away) - start out by going to the Arctic and recovering the body - or discovering that the body is missing.

Dr. Omega
07-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Everyone hates Iron Man because they know he is still secretly working for Kang and will be reverted to a teenager again.

And because he is a former alcoholic in charge of the most powerful army in the world, just like George Bu... oh crap... we're screwed...

Dr. Ω

Kingsumo
07-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Everyone hates Iron Man because they know he is still secretly working for Kang and will be reverted to a teenager again.

And because he is a former alcoholic in charge of the most powerful army in the world, just like George Bu... oh crap... we're screwed...

Dr. Ω

:-x

Jef UK
07-06-2007, 10:16 AM
I don't get the kneejerk reactions to Iron Man. I think its clear that editorial is pretty ambivalent about Iron Man - the impression I get from most books is that his motives are good, but the means he uses go too far, which I think is a great take. Not everything has to be black and white.

Anyway, for all we know, Sam ok'd the second burial site or said "I don't care." It's by far the most fitting place with the possible exception of Arlington (where he got a service and burial as well). It also makes for a cool beginning to the inevitable 'Return of Steve Rogers" story (hopefully many many years away) - start out by going to the Arctic and recovering the body - or discovering that the body is missing.

I agree about your view on Iron Man.

As to Cap's burial: it could be another ruse unto itself.

Pcfilms
07-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Did nobody get Astounding Wolf-Man #2- that book was the best out of the four I got.

Fallen Son: Iron man- Nice art but CW: Confession was a lot better. 7/10

Ant-Man: Damn you Marvel for cancelling another great book! 8/10

New Avengers/Transformers: It was fun. 7.5/10

Astounding Wolf-Man: HOLY CRAP!!!! Everyone buy this book! Great art, and an awesome cliff hanger!!! 12/10

ClintP
07-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Did nobody get Astounding Wolf-Man #2- that book was the best out of the four I got.

Fallen Son: Iron man- Nice art but CW: Confession was a lot better. 7/10

Ant-Man: Damn you Marvel for cancelling another great book! 8/10

New Avengers/Transformers: It was fun. 7.5/10

Astounding Wolf-Man: HOLY CRAP!!!! Everyone buy this book! Great art, and an awesome cliff hanger!!! 12/10

Who are you and why are you reading my comics? I ordered antman and wolfman from dcbs. I am treade waiting on avengers/transformers.

Previews - Good as usual. 9/10

InBendiswetrust
07-06-2007, 12:34 PM
New Warriors #2- A little slow, but still awesome for me. I'm getting this YA vibe that I like a lot.

Runaways #27- Holy fucking shit what an ending!! Whedon is doing a great job with the taking the reins on this one.

Pcfilms
07-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Who are you and why are you reading my comics? I ordered antman and wolfman from dcbs. I am treade waiting on avengers/transformers.

Previews - Good as usual. 9/10

I am your evil twin who lives in Idaho. Maybe we'll meet one day at a summer camp and realize we were twins seperated at birth!!

ClintP
07-06-2007, 01:09 PM
I am your evil twin who lives in Idaho. Maybe we'll meet one day at a summer camp and realize we were twins seperated at birth!!

You may be the evil one, but I know enough to not turn my back on you and expect things to be hunky dory. I also learned a thing or two from movies: Never hesitate to kill you enemy. So while I may be the "good" twin, I am not stupid. :lol:

Pcfilms
07-06-2007, 01:11 PM
You may be the evil one, but I know enough to not turn my back on you and expect things to be hunky dory. I also learned a thing or two from movies: Never hesitate to kill you enemy. So while I may be the "good" twin, I am not stupid. :lol:

Would you be happier if I was reading crappy books! So is no one reading Wolf-Man seriously!!!

ClintP
07-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Would you be happier if I was reading crappy books! So is no one reading Wolf-Man seriously!!!

I am. So that means it will be cancelled soon... the preview pages looked pretty good.

chazbot
07-06-2007, 01:32 PM
I am. So that means it will be cancelled soon... the preview pages looked pretty good.

No it won't... there's a reason Kirkman is having Image put it out and not Marvel... That way it won't be cancelled out from under him
:twisted:

cmoney
07-06-2007, 06:15 PM
I can't wait for the Wolf-Man trade, it looks right up my alley.

Man In Street
07-06-2007, 10:39 PM
New Warriors #2- Not as strong of an issue as numero uno. 7/ 10

Thor #1- Thought it was a bit too decompressed but it might get more interesting later. 6/ 10

Iredeemable Ant-Man #10- Probably the worst issue in the series if it wasn't for the Old Spice plugs on every page and the ending. 6/10

Faker #1- Mike carey's a great writer and Jock's a great artist but i'm not far enough from high school and idiots like the kids in this issue to like the issue. 7/10

All-New Atom #13- went downhill quickly once Chronos left. 7/10

Not a good week but I did picked up Blue Beetle #16 which was excellent.

UltimateFactor
07-07-2007, 04:12 AM
Countdown #43 $2.99 The funeral stuff was really well done. Not sure how I feel about the Monarch stuff. I dont get why Captain Atom went bad so suddenly.

I think it was his time in the Wildstorm univers. You know, his encounter with all the warped heroes controlling the government, seeing all that shit in the bleed, having shiney flesh sex with The Engineer. That kind of stuff. :surrend:

Andrew j
07-07-2007, 05:32 AM
The newest Penthouse magazine gave pretty favorable reviews to The Iredeemable Antman and Fell.

morlock with a day pass
07-08-2007, 04:31 AM
The newest Penthouse magazine gave pretty favorable reviews to The Iredeemable Antman and Fell.

and how was the rest of the issue?

Josh!
07-08-2007, 07:40 AM
Runaways #27- Holy fucking shit what an ending!! Whedon is doing a great job with the taking the reins on this one.

I agree. My jaw hit the floor. A few things in the first two Whedon issues didn't make sense, but now things are starting to fall into place-- I think this will read like one great movie when he's finished this arc.

ClintP
07-08-2007, 08:51 AM

:lol: That seems fitting for Eric O'Grady.

Andrew j
07-08-2007, 04:18 PM
and how was the rest of the issue?

I actually picked it up for my girlfriend and saw the review looking over her shoulder. She's a porn loving freak. How Awesome IS THAT!?!!

:lol: That seems fitting for Eric O'Grady.

Ha!

Bryan H
07-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Not a good week but I did picked up Blue Beetle #16 which was excellent.

You've made me happy.

morlock with a day pass
07-10-2007, 03:07 AM
I actually picked it up for my girlfriend and saw the review looking over her shoulder. She's a porn loving freak. How Awesome IS THAT!?!!

Ha!

up for being my new God? best girlfriend ever!