PDA

View Full Version : Thor #1 (spoilers)

Juggernaut
07-05-2007, 10:37 AM
The first few pages are just short words with pictures to elaborate the history of thor. From fighting,to being donald blake,knowing love and pain and death and war. It has been noted that Thor is just existing within nothingness of the void and Donald Blake appears to call to Thor from the void. Thor ask's him how he could exist if he was just an odin spell that cease to exist once odin decreed it,apparently without an odin being around his spell wore off and Blake began to exist again.

Donald was explaining how Men decide when gods exist not the other way around. How he can give his life new meaning now that he broke the cycle and that other powers that be don't want him to come back to life. That also (hidden spoiler) A bleak war torn future will come to fruition if he does not come back to the mortal world.

Demons start to appear and tear at thor,he is told in order to be born again he must go through pain of birth as in death. He is getting cut up as he reaches for his hammer and a massive lightning bolt appears as he grabs it,destroying all the demons. he then wishes himself to live again

On earth on way to oklahoma on a dirt road....blake picks up a walking stick. He then checks into some kind of motel...saying he will be there for a while. Lady behind the desk say's "heard a thunderstorm is a comin" blake said count on it....he goes into his room and slams the stick to the ground as a massive lightning storm appears.

Very good intro issue.

Jef UK
07-05-2007, 10:39 AM
I liked this. I love how Coipel draws Thor's face and bone structure. He looks at once Nordic and otherwordly.

This is definitely a trade-waiter story, though. I feel there's going to be lots of complaints about "nothing happened."

ClintP
07-05-2007, 10:42 AM
I liked this. I love how Coipel draws Thor's face and bone structure. He looks at once Nordic and otherwordly.

This is definitely a trade-waiter story, though. I feel there's going to be lots of complaints about "nothing happened."

I am not a Thor fan, but I am going to check it out. I ordered the first issue and will probably get the tpb if I like it.

Matt O'Keefe
07-05-2007, 10:43 AM
I am not a Thor fan, but I am going to check it out. I ordered the first issue and will probably get the tpb if I like it.

:nonono2:

ClintP
07-05-2007, 10:50 AM
:nonono2:

What? I never liked the character. I still don't, but I am going to give him a try with JMS.

Matt O'Keefe
07-05-2007, 10:51 AM
What? I never liked the character. I still don't, but I am going to give him a try with JMS.

I know, I'm just joking with you:p

You ever read Ragnarok by Oeming?

ClintP
07-05-2007, 10:52 AM
I know, I'm just joking with you:p

You ever read Ragnarok by Oeming?

No, but I did pick up that what If that Kirkman wrote and Oeming drew for a quarter and I liked it. I figured a quarter wasn't too much to go outon a limb for. :)

Ashwin Pande
07-05-2007, 10:53 AM
What's Thor talk like? Is it the annoying old school language or does he talk like a normal human being?

ClintP
07-05-2007, 10:54 AM
What's Thor talk like? Is it the annoying old school language or does he talk like a normal human being?

HA! That is why I never liked him!

I am going to give it a try because JMS said he was ditching that crap to make him sound more Norse instead of old english (which makes zero sense why he ever talked like that)

Jef UK

I'd describe his current dialouge as regal but not faux Shakespearian.

jamestolliver

No more annoying old school language, or so I've heard.

Juggernaut
07-05-2007, 10:58 AM
It's pretty much regular english...nothing to fancy. The best way I can explain this comic is that it is alot like all-star superman #1 where superman's origin was described in 3 words per section. Same thing with Thor in this comic in the first few pages.

The whole point is to make thor truly a god which is a new thing for marvel to do given that thor was never truly acknowledged as a god but more as a really powerful being. So he is being shown here as a living abstract concept.

Ashwin Pande
07-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Sounds cool.

I have doubts about this because I really did not like JMS's reimagining of Doc Strange.

But you guys make it sound pretty interesting.

I'm getting a very American Gods vibe from what you guys have described so far.

Jef UK
07-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Sounds cool.

I have doubts about this because I really did not like JMS's reimagining of Doc Strange.

But you guys make it sound pretty interesting.

I'm getting a very American Gods vibe from what you guys have described so far.

I hated JMS' Doc Strange. This is a different beast all together, especially as his Strange comic was just an adaptation of a screenplay he had written for the good 'ol Doc.

RebootedCorpse
07-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Thor - Olde English= Not Thor

Masculine Todd
07-05-2007, 11:10 AM

I'm with you. I don't dislike the character, but have never been partial to Greek, Norse, or most other mythologies, hence my apathetic feelings toward the character. The only instance of the character being used in a way that excited me was Busiek and Perez' Ultron Unlimited story where, after fighting his way through an Ultron Army, he crashes through the wall where the main Ultron has Hank Pym captured and says something to the effect of "Ultron, we would have words with thee." Just a badass, one-liner kind of thing.

But I am definitely on board for this book. JMS and Olivier Coipel are two of my favorite creators working today, and after this first issue, I'm quite interested in this direction. I enjoy the duality of the Norse god and it's struggle against mere humanity. I'm glad to see JMS attempting to create friction between the tethered nature of Thor to Donald.

adam_warlock_2099
07-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Thor - Olde English= Not Thor

Cap's Corpse's comment + my agreement = AMEN

Masculine Todd
07-05-2007, 11:16 AM

What type of math is this? Trig? Algebra? Geometry? Calculus? I've never seen this on a test. :razz:

ClintP
07-05-2007, 11:17 AM

:rofl: Well, if they make Thor with "ye olden speak", I will drop it like a bad habit. I have only one Thor comic, but it was because it tied in with some Spiderman story line. I could only read 4 pages before I had to put it back in the box. I just couldn't do it.

adam_warlock_2099
07-05-2007, 11:17 AM
What type of math is this? Trig? Algebra? Geometry? Calculus? I've never seen this on a test. :razz:

Doust thou not see the truth in thy words?

adam_warlock_2099
07-05-2007, 11:19 AM
:rofl: Well, if they make Thor with "ye olden speak", I will drop it like a bad habit. I have only one Thor comic, but it was because it tied in with some Spiderman story line. I could only read 4 pages before I had to put it back in the box. I just couldn't do it.

Varily, friend Clint. Thor fought valiantly alongside Spider-Man and consider him to be a great warrior. Doust thou not enjoy such language thy comrades in arms?

Brian Defferding
07-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Is there a link to a preview of this? I'm at work so I can't stop at the shop.

ClintP
07-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Varily, friend Clint. Thor fought valiantly alongside Spider-Man and consider him to be a great warrior. Doust thou not enjoy such language thy comrades in arms?

:lol: THAT! is too funny. I can see why you would be upset with Thor losing his speach. You must be a fan like I am of the clone saga.

Foolish Mortal
07-05-2007, 11:24 AM
He talks the same way Simonson wrote him. Very eloquently, and with an air of majesty. But not a lot of thee's and thou's nonsense. And thanks very much for that!

That faux-shakespearian speech should have been jettisoned years ago.

RebootedCorpse
07-05-2007, 11:25 AM
He talks the same way Simonson wrote him. Very eloquently, and with an air of majesty. But not a lot of thee's and thou's nonsense. And thanks very much for that!

That faux-shakespearian speech should have been jettisoned years ago.

Base Fiend!

adam_warlock_2099
07-05-2007, 11:27 AM
:lol: THAT! is too funny. I can see why you would be upset with Thor losing his speach. You must be a fan like I am of the clone saga.

Yeah it's fun and all . . . but the speech is only a small part of it. As long as he speaks as a god, whether it be the faux speech are not, is good enough for me. But I'll still miss it.

I guess that's why Johnny Storm stopped saying "groovy" once the Fantastic Four progressed into the 60's. Speech is always going to reflect the times, to some extent.

Brian Defferding
07-05-2007, 11:32 AM
I found a preview. The lettering is refreshing break from the usual comic font.

Patrick King
07-05-2007, 12:07 PM
I think the regular English instead of Ye Olde English is one of the reasons why I thought Ultimate Thor was cooler than 616 Thor. Still, there is something kinda fun about him saying "verily" and such.

Jef UK
07-05-2007, 12:08 PM
I think the regular English instead of Ye Olde English is one of the reasons why I thought Ultimate Thor was cooler than 616 Thor. Still, there is something kinda fun about him saying "verily" and such.

I have a feeling JMS is going to save that sort of lingo for just the right moments, to really add impact to the scene and make readers yell, "fuck yeah" just at the right time. Thor speak would work best as action-movie one-liners, IMO.

ClintP
07-05-2007, 12:10 PM
I have a feeling JMS is going to save that sort of lingo for just the right moments, to really add impact to the scene and make readers yell, "fuck yeah" just at the right time. Thor speak would work best as action-movie one-liners, IMO.

I would be down with that. I love funny one liners btw. :o

Matt Jay
07-05-2007, 12:10 PM

"Get thee to the chopper!"

ClintP
07-05-2007, 12:13 PM

OH MY GOD! That is fucking hilarious!

Kefky
07-05-2007, 12:16 PM

Now do that with "yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker".

ClintP
07-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Now do that with "yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker".

ooo. I like this. Can we make it a game?

RebootedCorpse
07-05-2007, 12:21 PM
"Lo, I returneth, forthwith!"

ClintP
07-05-2007, 12:24 PM
"Lo, I returneth, forthwith!"

Terminator - "I'll be back"?

RebootedCorpse
07-05-2007, 12:25 PM

You win!

Kefky
07-05-2007, 12:25 PM

Dude, you'll kill the joke like that! :nonono2:

ClintP
07-05-2007, 12:26 PM
You win!
Yay!

Dude, you'll kill the joke like that! :nonono2:
In your face!

Kefky
07-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Yay!

In your face!

Pshht, he was obviously being nice! :roll:

ClintP
07-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Here is a tricky one. I hope I did it ok, I suck/hate Thor talk as you know. ")

"Just... Evil... This thy whom posess thee Mjölnir!"

ClintP
07-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Pshht, he was obviously being nice! :roll:

But... I won... :cry:

Masculine Todd
07-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Thou willst be forced to merrily consume thy liquefied remains of the succulent fruit known to thee as apples, female mutt!

Applesauce, Bitch!

Kefky
But... I won... :cry:

Ant-man is still being canceled. What does that tell you?

ClintP
Thou willst be forced to merrily consume thy liquefied remains of the succulent fruit known to thee as apples, female mutt!

Applesauce, Bitch!

Holy hell! Sends clint running for cover...

Matt Jay
07-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Thou shall meet thee in the morn, baby.

ClintP
Ant-man is still being canceled. What does that tell you?

You are evil! EVIL I SAY! :angry:

Marcdachamp
Never cared for the character. Coipel is amazing, though, so if I hear enough good, I'll try the trade.

adam_warlock_2099
07-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Nay, I say thee. Nay, of the odorous extrememt of mere mortals, thine greatest of mortal detectives.

No shit Sherlock.