PDA

View Full Version : Has a woman ever...

adamgreenberger
07-05-2007, 07:17 AM
said you are a such a guy??

What does that mean? And for the women on here, what can a guy do to not be such a guy?

JABSEN
07-05-2007, 07:18 AM
Sex change?

adamgreenberger
07-05-2007, 07:19 AM
Sex change?

I think she means it in the negative way of thinking about a guy and our traits.

Gregory
07-05-2007, 07:20 AM
On the contrary, most are surprised how much of a stereotypical guy I turn out to be.

"You listen to xxx?
"You like xxxx?"
"You watch xxxx?"

Apparently I strike people as a junior college English professor.

adamgreenberger
07-05-2007, 07:21 AM
On the contrary, most are surprised how much of a stereotypical guy I turn out to be.

"You listen to xxx?
"You like xxxx?"
"You watch xxxx?"

Apparently I strike people as a junior college English professor.

That is what she means...that there are sterotypical things that guys do and I guess I do them sometimes.

Matt Jay
07-05-2007, 07:25 AM
That's racist!!

Bill?
07-05-2007, 07:26 AM
no. they say other things. :sad:

Ben
07-05-2007, 07:27 AM
She means you want to fuck her.

Dr. Blasphemy
07-05-2007, 07:27 AM
Only when i pull my pants down....:)

adamgreenberger
07-05-2007, 07:29 AM
She means you want to fuck her.

this is someone that I am interested in...so I am trying to show her that I am not a typical guy.

T-Dro
07-05-2007, 07:29 AM

What does that mean? And for the women on here, what can a guy do to not be such a guy?

Believe me, it's better than if a girl says to a guy, "You're such a girl!"

Most women expect men to behave like men. If you burp or fart or only watch movies with Bruce Willis and explosions, it's okay. It's much better to do that and at least be respected than to be a whiny crybaby who will only watch art films and wants to share his feelings all the time.

So, don't do anything to change. You'll lose her respect if you do.

/(. . )/
07-05-2007, 07:30 AM
That is what she means...that there are sterotypical things that guys do and I guess I do them sometimes.
Well, look at the images in your sig.

There's a clue.

Sometimes, girls who I am dating will say this to me if I say/do something sleezy. Doesn't matter the country or culture, men are men. or pigs. ;)

On another note, I saw your website and there are some questionable pics that i could see a woman saying that. again, your sig is a hint.

Blane
I dunno. I got that from a girl once. It's generally in regards to the fact that I like to watch sports and I enjoy chicken wings, burgers and beer.

Stereotyping and all.

Ben
this is someone that I am interested in...so I am trying to show her that I am not a typical guy.I think you should be yourself. And a cool chick won't be turned off by a guy that wants to fuck her.

Jef UK
this is someone that I am interested in...so I am trying to show her that I am not a typical guy.

That's such a typical guy thing to do.

/(. . )/
07-05-2007, 07:32 AM
That's such a typical guy thing to do.
it's a typical people thing. we're wired like that.

now that's a good excuse!!

adamgreenberger
07-05-2007, 07:32 AM
On another note, I saw your website and there are some questionable pics that i could see a woman saying that. again, your sig is a hint.

what website?

Ben
07-05-2007, 07:34 AM
what website?Good! Practice saying that until it sounds believable.

Evan the Shaggy
Whenever a girl says, "You are such a...." the word that follows is always bad.

noble
I'm not a pig.

I'm just pro-titty.

/(. . )/
what website?
last year. you posted a pic, i thought it was funny or something and followed the link from it. then, i wish i hadn't because.. I'm sorry, but you need to becareful of what you put on the internet. google can pic up pics by numbers.

RickLM
07-05-2007, 07:35 AM
You need to find the right balance. Do some typical guy things, like watching televised football or zombie movies, but mix it up with going to art museums and cooking her dinner. Be somewhere in between "total brute" and "total fruit."

Brian Defferding
07-05-2007, 07:36 AM
Oh yeah. For instance, I had a bunch of people over at my place to bake cookies, when they came I realized I had absolutely no cooking utensils to make the batter. So this girl just laughs and says "You're such a boy."

Ben
07-05-2007, 07:37 AM
You need to find the right balance. Do some typical guy things, like watching televised football or zombie movies, but mix it up with going to art museums and cooking her dinner. Be somewhere in between "total brute" and "total fruit."And make sure you don't forget to do that whole 'penis-vagina' thing.

adamgreenberger
07-05-2007, 07:38 AM
You need to find the right balance. Do some typical guy things, like watching televised football or zombie movies, but mix it up with going to art museums and cooking her dinner. Be somewhere in between "total brute" and "total fruit."

I try that...but there are times when she asks me thing that the only answer can be a total guy answer...and that is usually when I get the "You are such a guy comment

Matt Jay
07-05-2007, 07:38 AM

Depends on the chick, I say. My lady always calls me gay, mainly because I can do an awesome flamingly gay rendition of any song. It's a gift. Yet she still says she'll marry me.

Whip
07-05-2007, 07:40 AM

Wear a dress.

RickLM
07-05-2007, 07:45 AM
I try that...but there are times when she asks me thing that the only answer can be a total guy answer...and that is usually when I get the "You are such a guy comment

The girls who can tolerate your guyness are the keepers. The ones who try to crush the typical guy stuff out of your life are the harpies, and should be avoided.

Brian Defferding
07-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Girls LOVE typical guys. You just gotta have that little something.

http://www.letitloose.com/clientuploads/directory/store/pj_originalcans.jpg

noble
07-05-2007, 07:46 AM

To that you should say, would you be fucking me if I were a chick? ;)_

T-Dro
07-05-2007, 07:49 AM
The girls who can tolerate your guyness are the keepers. The ones who try to crush the typical guy stuff out of your life are the harpies, and should be avoided.

Totally 100% agree.

Once a guy friend of mine was dating a chick who tried to get him to not watch his favorite football team on Sundays. Six other days of the week, and she picks Sunday to see him, knowing that he is a HUGE Eagles fan. She wouldn't come over and hang out with him and watch the game, she wanted him to take her out to dinner. At which point, we told him he needed to find a SANE girlfriend.

I don't even like football, but I know better than to try to come between a man and his favorite sport.

Blane
07-05-2007, 08:06 AM
Totally 100% agree.

Once a guy friend of mine was dating a chick who tried to get him to not watch his favorite football team on Sundays. Six other days of the week, and she picks Sunday to see him, knowing that he is a HUGE Eagles fan. She wouldn't come over and hang out with him and watch the game, she wanted him to take her out to dinner. At which point, we told him he needed to find a SANE girlfriend.

I don't even like football, but I know better than to try to come between a man and his favorite sport.

That's messed up. Any person that aims to change the other person in a relationship is a bad partner. So, yea. Just because she says "you're such a boy" doesn't necessarily mean that she doesn't like that. Might just be an observation.

RickLM
07-05-2007, 08:10 AM
That's messed up. Any person that aims to change the other person in a relationship is a bad partner. So, yea. Just because she says "you're such a boy" doesn't necessarily mean that she doesn't like that. Might just be an observation.

Exactly. And telling your girlfriend she is a "such a girl" isn't bad, either. Sometimes we like it that our girl takes time to get made up or is really picky about her clothes or shoes.

dasNdanger
07-05-2007, 10:22 AM

Oh, geez...yer SUCH a guy askin' this question! ;)

What does it mean?

It all depends. I say it to my husband (or something similar - like...'Men!'), but it's not always in a negative way. For instance, if he does something really annoying in a 'guy' way - like, only noticing women for their boobs...then, yeah...I'll say it in a negative way. But if he does something that is endearing in a guy kinda way - like, getting excited over some new gadget he just bought...then I'm saying it in an affectionate way.

But that's me. Your woman (women) might be different.

If you want to avoid the negative 'you're such a guy', then avoid doing annoying guy things...like talking about other women's boobs in front of your lady, or leaving the milk on the counter all night, or forgetting where you PUT EVERY BLOODY THING YOU OWN, then asking your woman where SHE put it...like:

REAL exchange with Mr. Das:

HIM: "Where did YOU put MY glasses??!"

ME: "They're on top of YOUR HEAD!"

HIM: "Well...I didn't know..."

ME (rolling eyes): "Yer such a guy...."

Yeah - avoid crap like that...

das

Masculine Todd
07-05-2007, 10:28 AM
It's much better to do that and at least be respected than to be a whiny crybaby who will only watch art films and wants to share his feelings all the time.

Sounds like, if I were straight, I wouldn't be getting laid much.

Thank god for being gay. Conversely, my "Arty, eccentric, sensitive, metro" vibe seems to attract girls...which is useless to me. I'm confused.

Jen Grunwald
07-05-2007, 10:29 AM
or forgetting where you PUT EVERY BLOODY THING YOU OWN, then asking your woman where SHE put it...like:

REAL exchange with Mr. Das:

HIM: "Where did YOU put MY glasses??!"

ME: "They're on top of YOUR HEAD!"

HIM: "Well...I didn't know..."

ME (rolling eyes): "Yer such a guy...."

Man, I've had to listen to crap like that b/t my mom and dad for YEARS! It's ALWAYS where SHE put his stuff. Takes NO blame... ::sigh::

:rogue:

Jen Grunwald
07-05-2007, 10:29 AM

Thank god for being gay. Conversely, my "Arty, eccentric, sensitive, metro" vibe seems to attract girls...which is useless to me. I'm confused.

:rofl: :rofl:

Roman Noodles
07-05-2007, 10:31 AM

Three Words. Hormone Replacement Therapy. ;)

T-Dro
07-05-2007, 10:36 AM

The point that I was trying to get accross is that if you're a very "manly" guy, that's ok, and you shouldn't have to change yourself to suit a girl.

There are girls who like sensitive guys too...but I don't know any girls who like it when they find out their supposedly sensitive guy is really a beer-swilling, football-loving guy.'

So basically, just be yourself!

Mylazycat
07-05-2007, 10:43 AM

Oh, sweet irony!

Masculine Todd
07-05-2007, 10:45 AM
There are girls who like sensitive guys too.

I know there are...they're the girls who hit on me. :smile:

Wow...that sounded more arrogant than I meant it to.

Ashwin Pande
07-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Man, I've had to listen to crap like that b/t my mom and dad for YEARS! It's ALWAYS where SHE put his stuff. Takes NO blame... ::sigh::

To be fair men are lazy and rarely ever move their stuff around from place to place.. wherever it lands is where it stays.. women however move stuff around for some reason or the other..

For example I present to you one of many discourses I've had with my mother over this subject :

Me : Mom! Where's my blue pen??!

Her : What blue pen??

Me : The blue pen I bought yesterday! I kept it on top of my pile of papers that were on the floor!

Her : Oh. I threw that away. It was on the floor...

Me : Why the hell do you move my stuff??! I kept it right there on the floor so I'd know where it was! You always do this! *SLAM DOOR*

Thusly Proven.

Masculine Todd
07-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Oh, sweet irony!

Not so sweet for Todd :sad:

Seriously, if I go to a local show, my band plays a local show, or I'm chillaxing at a Panic! concert, being gay is essentially being scene, so girls just naturally assume, oh, dude in the eyeliner and hair that must have had hours spent on it must be straight. Dame scenesters.

Roman Noodles
07-05-2007, 10:50 AM
I know there are...they're the girls who hit on me. :smile:

Wow...that sounded more arrogant than I meant it to.

Go ahad sound arrogant. It's nice to know that if you wanted something you could have it . . . even if you don't want it.

chazbot
07-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Not so sweet for Todd :sad:

Seriously, if I go to a local show, my band plays a local show, or I'm chillaxing at a Panic! concert, being gay is essentially being scene, so girls just naturally assume, oh, dude in the eyeliner and hair that must have had hours spent on it must be straight. Dame scenesters.

It's okay, you can tell all those girls hitting on you that you don't date 14 year olds 8-)

Roman Noodles
07-05-2007, 10:52 AM
It's okay, you can tell all those girls hitting on you that you don't date 14 year olds 8-)

:lol: . . . wait I like Panic!

Lemonade Lady
07-05-2007, 10:52 AM
I hate phrases like that, they only reinforce the negative gender stereotypes that are the subject of complaint.

Why would anyone think that telling a male that their negative traits are "male" would be a good way of making them stop? What are they to infer from it? That it would be unmale to act another way? That they should be ashamed of being male? That their sex can be used as an excuse for their behaviour? None of those mindsets can be healthy.

(Replace "male" with "female" in the above paragraph if you like, for the reverse is also true.)

Just be the person you would like to be. It's a good thing to re-evaluate your behaviour from time to time but don't feel you should have to change yourself or not change negative behaviours simply because of your sex.

chazbot
07-05-2007, 10:55 AM
:lol: . . . wait I like Panic!

quit dressing like a 14 year old scene girl and hitting on Kearns when you're both at the Panic! show, he's not into that!

:rofl:

Masculine Todd

15 and a half, c'mon, 15 and a half. :smile:

On a related note. I go to a Panic! at the Disco concert when nobody but their mothers know these 18 year old cats in the spring of 2005. Must have been one of their first shows ever. Other than a few light tricks and fog, there was no bells and whistles, and maybe 100 kids there. Two years later, I open up for a band called Halifax, who, in turn is opening up for Panic! three days later and they score us comp tickets. My band goes to the show to see how they've evolved. Now it's packed with screaming 13-20 year old girls who think "scene" is Hot Topic wristbands and heavy eyeshadow. Oh, and the fucking band has tigers, moving platforms, projectile cannons, full firework displays and a cabaret vibe going down. It's like a multimillion dollar movie on stage.

They've done a lot in 2 years.

stevapalooza
It sounds like a throw-away comment to me. I wouldn't really pay it much mind. Don't start overanalyzing everything she says or you'll come off as creepily over-attentive. And if you do like her, then act quickly. Don't linger around for months and years working up the courage to make a move. Act early while there's still some mystery to you.

Roman Noodles
07-05-2007, 10:56 AM
quit dressing like a 14 year old scene girl and hitting on Kearns when you're both at the Panic! show, he's not into that!

But it's fun messing with his head!!! :(

Masculine Todd
07-05-2007, 10:56 AM

Effeminate guys are my fav...where have you been? :twisted:

KingMob
07-05-2007, 11:05 AM
I usually only hear this when I flop my bag onto the remote control whenever my team makes the big play.

Roman Noodles
07-05-2007, 11:06 AM
I usually only hear this when I flop my bag onto the remote control whenever my team makes the big play.

I like the Sig Banner Mob.

KingMob
07-05-2007, 11:07 AM

Thanks! I stole it.

Jen Grunwald
07-05-2007, 11:33 AM

I don't! :evil:

Roman Noodles
07-05-2007, 11:36 AM

If it makes you feel better I love your avatar.

Zack
07-05-2007, 11:47 AM

you could start by removing that animated picture from your sig.

....don't really do it though. i'm just saying--that you could could less like a guy if you removed the hot girl grabbing the other hot girl's crotch

chess
07-05-2007, 11:51 AM
I think she means it in the negative way of thinking about a guy and our traits.

The comment does not need to be negative.

Let's say you like fishing, hunting, football, etc...
Let's say you are messy, you like certain foods (bologna, mac and cheese)...
Let's say you have messy clothes, etc...

The comment, "You're such a guy!" could mean you fit the stereotype. She could find manliness attractive.

Knightspider
07-05-2007, 11:51 AM
best advice i have gotten about woman:

"You treat the nice girls like whores and treat the whores like nice girls"

thinking about this and looking at the types of relationships i'm around all the time, i find this too be true

but never put into pratice myshelf

Dr. Omega
07-05-2007, 12:07 PM
My wife tells me that all the time. Whenever I want to pull a prank or tickle her or something, she says, "you are such a boy!"

Dr. Ω

Deej
07-05-2007, 12:09 PM

Do you scratch yourself and like to fart?

KingMob
07-05-2007, 12:09 PM

you dont read anything outside of Marvel?

arthurloewenkamp
07-05-2007, 12:11 PM
The girl I'm dating said the other day "you know, sometimes you really don't try to hide the fact that you're a guy." I take that as a compliment. Women don't want you to be their best friend shopping and stuff. You do have to make sure its known that you are their opposite and that's a good thing.

Jen Grunwald
07-05-2007, 12:22 PM
you dont read anything outside of Marvel?

Nope! Every comic I read, I read in the office! :lol:

KingMob
07-05-2007, 12:24 PM

ugh

Gecko
07-05-2007, 12:29 PM

Just be yourself. Guys wind up doing the wrong thing by trying NOT to be themselves.

Masculine Todd
07-05-2007, 12:37 PM
. Women don't want you to be their best friend shopping and stuff. You do have to make sure its known that you are their opposite and that's a good thing.

Listen to this cat, he speaks for all you ladies :razz:

I can't be the vocal-piece for all women, but I know many girls who love the whole "Scenester, metro" thing. Being 20, in a band, and my generation having been one of the perpetrators of the contemporary scene, many girls have a thing for guys who are very effeminate; well groomed, bright colors, don't gravitate toward sports, indulge in the arts, write poetry, enjoy shopping, have an intricate knowledge of skin and hair care products, even some eyeliner usage from time-to-time.

I know these girls, hang with 'em, in my denial days, I dated them. They exist. The ever-ellusive "Metro Molly." :smile:

Brian Defferding
07-05-2007, 12:43 PM

http://www.gothamist.com/images/2004_02_fredarmisen.jpg

T-Dro
07-05-2007, 01:06 PM

I can't be the vocal-piece for all women, but I know many girls who love the whole "Scenester, metro" thing.

I know these girls, hang with 'em, in my denial days, I dated them. They exist. The ever-ellusive "Metro Molly." :smile:

According to this highly scientific poll (I put it up on my myspace page last week, and fully 24 ladies responded), 50% of all women would not date a man that spends more time and effort on his appearance than they do.

http://www.surveygizmo.com/reports/4521/4664/7D2O26B07DCUSYWDYHD1ITDA9WYW4Q/

:wink:

I'm not saying that most women prefer a more manly man...but most of my close female friends do. And seriously, if I wanted to date a girl, I'd just be a lesbian (and the thought has crossed my mind now and then.)

RickLM
07-05-2007, 01:43 PM
According to this highly scientific poll (I put it up on my myspace page last week, and fully 24 ladies responded), 50% of all women would not date a man that spends more time and effort on his appearance than they do.

I'm not saying that most women prefer a more manly man...but most of my close female friends do. And seriously, if I wanted to date a girl, I'd just be a lesbian (and the thought has crossed my mind now and then.)

I don't know... every Niles Crane eventually finds his Daphne Moon....

Masculine Todd
07-05-2007, 01:49 PM

Wait, so 50% would, then?

Most of my girl friends love the metro thing. I wouldn't dare say, nor imply that the majority do, but there are many that dig a metro ambiance to a man. Metro can be things beyond taking a long time to groom as well. :wink:

Honestly though, I'm not too worried about it, if you get my drift. :smile:

T-Dro
07-05-2007, 01:55 PM
I don't know... every Niles Crane eventually finds his Daphne Moon....

I actually agree with you.

I'm not saying that girls don't like girly boys, I'm just saying that MY friends don't like girly boys.

Although I'm accused by some of my friends for liking girly boys...in truth, I just like ALL boys. :twisted: My husband watches football and wrestling and drinks beer and burps, but he also cooks me dinner every night.

Donal DeLay
07-05-2007, 02:10 PM
That is what she means...that there are sterotypical things that guys do and I guess I do them sometimes. Watch sports. Get excited about sports?
Love cars.
Belch a lot.
Fart a lot.
Require meat on 95% of your meals.
Like blowing shit up.
Play video games.
Make sexist comments.
Stare at women's breasts or ass.
Like hard rock/metal bands.
Like sexist rap.
Adjust your package every 20minutes.
Scratch your butt, or nuts every 30minutes.
Prefer pizza and beer/soda as a daily meal.
Grunt.
Toss clothing items randomly as you walk through the apt/house.
Wear 3day old socks/underswears because you don't want to do laundry.
Drink from the bottle of soda.
Drink from the carton of milk/OJ.
Let your dishes pile up and wash what's needed for that moment.
Lounge around in your boxers, despite your appearance.

Just off the top of my head.

Masculine Todd
07-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Watch sports. Get excited about sports?
Love cars.
Belch a lot.
Fart a lot.
Require meat on 95% of your meals.
Like blowing shit up.
Play video games.
Make sexist comments.
Stare at women's breasts or ass.
Like hard rock/metal bands.
Like sexist rap.
Adjust your package every 20minutes.
Scratch your butt, or nuts every 30minutes.
Prefer pizza and beer/soda as a daily meal.
Grunt.
Toss clothing items randomly as you walk through the apt/house.
Wear 3day old socks/underswears because you don't want to do laundry.
Drink from the bottle of soda.
Drink from the carton of milk/OJ.
Let your dishes pile up and wash what's needed for that moment.
Lounge around in your boxers, despite your appearance.

Just off the top of my head.

Other than playing videogames, I'm the antithesis of the average manly man. Huh.

Jen Grunwald
07-05-2007, 02:15 PM
ugh

Haw haw!

Jen Grunwald
07-05-2007, 02:18 PM

I can't be the vocal-piece for all women, but I know many girls who love the whole "Scenester, metro" thing. Being 20, in a band, and my generation having been one of the perpetrators of the contemporary scene, many girls have a thing for guys who are very effeminate; well groomed, bright colors, don't gravitate toward sports, indulge in the arts, write poetry, enjoy shopping, have an intricate knowledge of skin and hair care products, even some eyeliner usage from time-to-time.

ugh! No way. I like a guy to be clean, yes, but it totally turns me off if they spend too much time on their looks. Unless it's spiking up a mohawk... ;-) But a REAL one! None of that fauxhawk shite!!

I don't mind being friends with guys like this, I'm just not attracted to it. Even when they end up looking good...just the idea of it. Don't know why, probably a father thing! haha

PS ESPECIALLY the poetry thing! BLECH!!! :sick:

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
07-05-2007, 02:19 PM
I agree with the people who said it's a throw away line.

I've gotten, "You're such a girl." from my boyfriend and all it means is that he thinks the stuff I do is cute or endearing. I usually stare really hard at my own chest and say, "That's because I am a girl..."

jamestolliver
07-05-2007, 02:21 PM
ugh! No way. I like a guy to be clean, yes, but it totally turns me off if they spend too much time on their looks. Unless it's spiking up a mohawk... ;-) But a REAL one! None of that fauxhawk shite!!

I don't mind being friends with guys like this, I'm just not attracted to it. Even when they end up looking good...just the idea of it. Don't know why, probably a father thing! haha

I'm so going to write a ton of bad poetry for you. ;)

Masculine Todd
07-05-2007, 02:24 PM

:sad:

And poetry is like the coolest thing ever. But I'm in a band, so I must constantly write to provide us with lyrics, if that's an excuse. :smile:

When I was in my denial high school days, before I came out I would annoy the hell out of my first girlfriend. She found me super attractive and dug my personality, but hated how long I'd be in the bathroom and the clothes I wore. She would say stuff like "don't you ever just wear a T-Shirt" and "How long does it take to style your hair." Hell, I could apply eyeliner better than she could. I don't know why, but I always told my friends that with a sense of pride.

kari
07-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Is it strange for a girl to be told "Your such a guy." ? :scared:

Foolish Mortal
07-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Well it depends on how it's said. "You're such a guy" can come across like it's intended as an insult.