PDA

View Full Version : Comic Film Tourney Round 3 - Batman vs Batman Returns

nihilance
07-05-2007, 04:20 AM
tournament motherlink (http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=116979)

Burton Batman Battle!!! Keaton, Nicholson and Prince vs Keaton, Pfeifer, Devito and Walken. Which is the better comic film?

Bill Nolan
07-05-2007, 04:52 AM
I no longer vote when I think neither movie deserves to win.

Patton
07-05-2007, 05:06 AM
I'm fastinated by this one. I had no idea anyone would think Returns was better.

AAlgar
07-05-2007, 05:08 AM
I'm fastinated by this one. I had no idea anyone would think Returns was better.

Apart from the robot penguins, I found it a lot less... I dunno, goofy. I liked the dialogue more. And I never did care for Jack as the Joker.

Bill Nolan
07-05-2007, 06:05 AM
The second one doesn't have "Jack being Jack" rather than actually playing the Joker character, so it's much less annoying. But it does have a freakishly, needlessly creepy Penguin who bites people.

silverboy
07-05-2007, 06:22 AM
Wow, incredibly hard poll. I have to go with Batman just because I loved Nicholsen as the Joker. I think it also the first movie I saw in theaters. Returns started the tradition of "let's see how many villains we can stuff into this movie."

ZombieSpeedball
07-05-2007, 06:24 AM
Batman Returns was the superior film. And I'll go as far as to say it was the only good one of the four. Though, since I already said it was better than Batman, it's not hard to make that connection, is it? :D

Ziolko
07-05-2007, 06:25 AM
Wow, incredibly hard poll. I have to go with Batman just because I loved Nicholsen as the Joker. Returns started the tradition of "let's see how many villains we can stuff into this movie."

Yes, but I think there was a logic behind having two villains in that it was the 2nd movie so it should have the extra bad guy, and the story made it work to the point that it didn't feel forced. Returns made it work.

Anyway, I voted Returns as well. I still like the first movie but I thought Returns was better. Michelle Pfiefer was great in it.

FredC
07-05-2007, 06:27 AM
Batman is better than Batman Returns (for so many different reasons).

ZombieSpeedball
07-05-2007, 06:32 AM
Yes, but I think there was a logic behind having two villains in that it was the 2nd movie so it should have the extra bad guy, and the story made it work to the point that it didn't feel forced. Returns made it work.

Anyway, I voted Returns as well. I still like the first movie but I thought Returns was better. Michelle Pfiefer was great in it.

Exactly. Returns did a wonderful job of integrating the two villains without it seeming totally ridiculous or campy, and it gave the characters their time to shine and develop a story. I just didn't like a lot of stuff with the first Batman, especially Joker being the killer of Batman's parents.

Thank God for Batman Begins.

Kefky
07-05-2007, 06:59 AM
Batman 1 was a good movie full of problems, Returns was shit.

JABSEN
07-05-2007, 07:01 AM
I don't care for either too much. But I prefer Pfiefer's Catwoman to Nicholson's Joker,

Roman Noodles
07-05-2007, 07:56 AM
I know alotta people hate Batman Returns but I just LOVE Michelle Pfifer.

Bill!
07-05-2007, 07:57 AM
This shouldn't even be a contests. Batman hands down. Nicholson makes it the obvious choice. I don't know how anyone can even watch Devito.

A.Huerta
07-05-2007, 07:58 AM
The only thing I likded about Returns was Catwoman. She was HOT.

Akira
07-05-2007, 08:00 AM
Pfifer sucked, Walken was wasted, Devito was only cast because of his stature.

Jack Nicholson was the Joker.

How is this not a landslide?

Jacob Lyon Goddard
07-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Batman's just enough for kids, it's a great mix
my favorite of the Batman movies

NeverWanderer
07-05-2007, 09:46 AM
I always prefer the second movie to the first because I love how they handle the Bruce/Selena & Batman/Catwoman relationship.

The looks on their faces when they both find out still gives me shivers.

PLUS, the suit fit Keaton's face better this time around. In the first movie, he looked like Tiny Guy in a Big Costume.

Still love Nicholson's Joker, though!

Master Jack Rabbitt
07-05-2007, 09:48 AM
The first one, I suppose. Tough choice, though.

Martin J
07-05-2007, 11:11 AM
I had to go with returns I really hated the ham job the jack did in the first, the forced characterization and the crappy musical score. Return always felt a little more darker, had caratcters who interacted and fed of each other.
If thats not enough it should win simply for the lovely moment when Bruce and Selina danced together and reliase who the really are.

MJ

Ryan Elliott
07-05-2007, 11:17 AM
crappy musical score.

The Prince music or the actual score?

Dan McLellan
07-05-2007, 11:19 AM
I like returns because it is weird.

ZombieSpeedball
07-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Pfifer sucked, Walken was wasted, Devito was only cast because of his stature.

Jack Nicholson was the Joker.

How is this not a landslide?

Jack Nicholson can be an amazing actor all he wants. Doesn't make up for a bad story.

Martin J
07-05-2007, 11:40 AM
The Prince music or the actual score?

The Prince musice turned up in the movie so it is part of the score, although alot of his Batman albulm never made it or was inspired by there was still to much of the crap in there.

MJ

Ryan Elliott
07-05-2007, 11:44 AM
The Prince musice turned up in the movie so it is part of the score, although alot of his Batman albulm never made it or was inspired by there was still to much of the crap in there.

MJ

There's a difference between the Prince Music and the Danny Elfman score. And they were even released on two different albums.

So was it the score you hated or the Prince music?

Kefky
07-05-2007, 11:45 AM
I like returns because it is weird.

I suppose that's a good description of it... But the main reason why I hate it is because the movie doesn't seem to know what the hell it's supposed to be. Is it dark or funny? Am I supposed to laugh at the penguin or pity him?

Sure you can have both in the same movie, but there has to be a balance. If you go too far both ways, it gets messy.

Oh, and the dialog is just fucking terrible.

Dan McLellan
07-05-2007, 11:49 AM
I suppose that's a good description of it... But the main reason why I hate it is because the movie doesn't seem to know what the hell it's supposed to be. Is it dark or funny? Am I supposed to laugh at the penguin or pity him?

Sure you can have both in the same movie, but there has to be a balance. If you go too far both ways, it gets messy.

"You didn't invite me, so I CRASHED"

AAlgar

I disagree.

Alfred: And let's not forget about repairing the Batmobile. There's security to consider. It's not as if we can just take it to any Joe's Body Shop, is it, sir?

Bruce: Security? Who let Vicki Vale into the Batcave? I'm sitting there working and suddenly I'm like "oh hi Vic, come on in."

BrianS
Up until Batman Begins, Batman Returns was the greatest movie ever made. Now its just the second greatest movie ever made...

Batman doesn't even rate in the top ten...

JABSEN
07-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Jack Nicholson can be an amazing actor all he wants. Doesn't make up for a bad story.And he wasn't a good Joker.

BrianS

I'd go so far as to say the dialog in Batman Returns isn't just good, its incredible.

Ryan Elliott
I disagree.

Alfred: And let's not forget about repairing the Batmobile. There's security to consider. It's not as if we can just take it to any Joe's Body Shop, is it, sir?

Bruce: Security? Who let Vicki Vale into the Batcave? I'm sitting there working and suddenly I'm like "oh hi Vic, come on in."

I liked that bit.

Kefky
07-05-2007, 11:57 AM
I'd go so far as to say the dialog in Batman Returns isn't just good, its incredible.

.....You like Lost in Space! All is right with the world! :)

Kefky
07-05-2007, 11:59 AM
I disagree.

Okay, that was pretty good.

"You didn't invite me, so I CRASHED"

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c100/Vonn_Hennigar/Blammo.gif

Dan McLellan
07-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Okay, that was pretty good.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c100/Vonn_Hennigar/Blammo.gif

Haha I'm not going to pretend Batman Returns was high art but it sure was entertaining and silly.

AAlgar
07-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Batman Returns was written by the same guy who wrote Heathers, Hudson Hawk and Demolition Man. Do with that information what you will.

Dan McLellan
07-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Batman Returns was written by the same guy who wrote Heathers, Hudson Hawk and Demolition Man. Do with that information what you will.

1 for 3 for most, 3 for 3 for me!

AAlgar
07-05-2007, 12:06 PM

Me too.

Ryan Elliott
07-05-2007, 12:07 PM

Me too.

Ew. Demolition Man?

AAlgar
07-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Ew. Demolition Man?

Good, cheesy fun. Worth it for Denis Leary.

JABSEN
07-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Good, cheesy fun. Worth it for Denis Leary.3 sea shells

Kefky
07-05-2007, 12:12 PM

Hudson Hawk was hardly written by one person. Willis himself fucking with the dialog every 5 seconds.

I wouldn't be surprised if Returns and Demolition Man went through the same deal too.

YouStayClassy
07-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Bob, gun. I'm horrified Batman Returns is getting this many votes.

KarlH
07-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Up until Batman Begins, Batman Returns was the greatest movie ever made. Now its just the second greatest movie ever made...

We agree on something 100%. I just felt the earth's plates shift a bit. ;)

Mister Mets
07-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Batman 1 was a good movie full of problems, Returns was shit.
I actually agree with this statement.

What was it about Batman Returns that made you love it so much you liked it better than Casablanca/ Citizen Kane/ The Godfather/ it's a Wonderful Link/ Pulp Fiction/ Shawshank Redemption/ The Departed/ and any random movie that appears on more traditional "Best of" lists?

I'd love to read Karl H's answer too.

Patton
07-05-2007, 01:11 PM

What was it about Batman Returns that made you love it so much you liked it better than Casablanca/ Citizen Kane/ The Godfather/ it's a Wonderful Link/ Pulp Fiction/ Shawshank Redemption/ The Departed/ and any random movie that appears on more traditional "Best of" lists?

Is that the Zelda movie? That is awesome!

KarlH
07-05-2007, 02:20 PM

I'd love to read Karl H's answer too.

Speaking for myself I really like Tim Burton's worlds. His set design, the score and the dialogue. I am always a sucker for Chris Walken, Pfeiffer was as good as she can be and it was just fun. His sets are live action versions of a Nightmare Before Christmas. I also really loved Sleepy Hollow. Batman Begins was just exceptional though. Nolan, Bale and Neeson were just pitch perfect.

If I am being completely honest most "important" movies are worth 1-2 viewings. As far as classic movies I prefer the old Basil Rathbone Sherlock Homes movies, the Thin Man series and for a Bogey film it does not get better than To Have and Have Not.

ZombieSpeedball
07-05-2007, 02:25 PM
3 sea shells

But I don't know how to use the three sea shells. :Oops: