PDA

View Full Version : New Englanders: meet Astounding Wolf-Man artist Jason Howard Aug. 5th

Bill Nolan
07-05-2007, 03:47 AM
Astounding Wolf-Man artist Jason Howard at Mass. comic show Aug. 5th

CHELMSFORD, MA - Jason Howard, the super hot new artist on The Astounding Wolf-Man, will be the special guest at the Chelmsford Comic Book Show on Sunday, Aug. 5.

The show, organized by Larry's Comics of Lowell, will be held at the Radisson Hotel and Suites, located at Exit 34 off Interstate 495 in Chelmsford, MA. The event runs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and admission is just $5. The convenient location features plenty of free parking.

Jason Howard has teamed with superstar writer Robert Kirkman (Invincible, The Walking Dead, Marvel Zombies) to produce the new Wolf-Man series, which was the undisputed breakout hit of this year's Free Comic Book Day. His dynamic artwork brings to life the heroic tale of a man struggling to do good while suffering under a horrible curse.

The Aug. 5th show features a new opening time and many new dealers. Top dealers from all over New England will be on hand at the show offering a wide selection of comics from the Golden Age to the hottest new releases, toys, collectibles, anime, and other pop culture ephemera. Past guest have included superstar artists Ethan Van Sciver, Ron Garney, Howard Porter, Dale Eaglesham, and Rags Morales.

For more information, please visit the show's web site:

http://www.larryscomics.net/shows.html

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g104/wanolan/showpress/WOLF-COVER-3-COLORS-B.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g104/wanolan/showpress/WOLF-COVER-2-COLORS.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g104/wanolan/showpress/WOLF_02_06_COLORS.jpg

I'll try to post updates prior to the show, and a report afterward. I met Robert at one of Larry's shows years ago. That was cool.

JeremyDale
07-05-2007, 03:53 AM
Awesome. Wish I was in the area.

- jeremy

Bill Nolan
07-07-2007, 06:08 AM
Greater Boston comic book publisher seeking new artists

CHELMSFORD, MA - Do you think you have what it takes to be a professional comic book artist?

Patrick Cook, Editor-in-Chief of Wicked Good Comics, will be reviewing portfolios and soliciting artists for upcoming projects at the next Chelmsford Comic Book Show.

All interested artists are urged to attend the show on Sunday, Aug. 5, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The show is held at the Radisson Hotel & Suites, located just off I-495 at exit 34. Admission is just $5.

Portfolios should showcase a variety of skills, from sequential storytelling to panel layout and backgrounds to convincing character portrayals, rather than simply an emphasis on "pin-up" artwork. Aspiring artists are urged to bring a small variety of sample pages which best illustrate their artistic skills, with inclusion of a short (three to six pages) sequential story highly recommend.

Sample scripts are also available in advance of the show. E-mail Cook at patrickecook@yahoo.com for more information.

Wicked Good Comics burst onto the publishing scene with its "The Original Nine" Preview Edition, which premiered at Wizard World Boston in 2005. Their new projects promise to fulfill the potential shown in that dynamic debut issue.

For more information, please visit the Chelmsford Comic Book Show web site:
http://www.larryscomics.net

The special guest at the Aug. 5 show will be Jason Howard, artist of "The Astounding Wolf-Man" from Image Comics.

cory w
07-07-2007, 06:13 AM
Jason Howard draws rad comics.

Bill Nolan
07-30-2007, 07:54 AM
OK, San Diego is all done now, so here's an update on this:

Wolf-Man artist Jason Howard at Mass. Comic Show Aug. 5

CHELMSFORD, MA - The Chelmsford Comic Book Show returns to the Radisson Hotel and Suites on Sunday, Aug. 5, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The convention, which has rapidly earned a reputation as one of the best small-town shows in America, is organized by Larry Doherty, owner of Larry's Comics in Lowell, MA. Past guests have included some of the hottest names in the industry, including Ethan Van Sciver, Billy Tan, and Rags Morales, and Doherty has an exciting rising star making his first New England appearance lined up for the Aug. 5 show.

Guest of Honor Jason Howard has quickly become a fan-favorite artist with the hit new book "The Astounding Wolf-Man." Howard, a relative newcomer to the world of professional comics, has teamed with superstar writer Robert Kirkman ("Invincible," "The Walking Dead," "Marvel Zombies") to produce the new Wolf-Man series, which was the undisputed breakout hit of this year's Free Comic Book Day. His dynamic artwork brings to life the heroic tale of a man struggling to do good while suffering under a horrible curse.

Howard, who resides in Michigan, is excited to make the Greater Boston show one of the first appearances of his career as a professional comic artist. "I am looking forward to unchaining myself from my drawing table for a day and heading east to meet the great comic fans in the New England area," he said. "From what I hear, Larry puts on a great show and I feel honored to be a part of it."

Several local creators round out the guest list at the Aug. 5 show. Kris Carter, a long-time friend of the Chelmsford Comic Book Show, will be showing off the artwork from his first professional work and debuting his brand new sketchbook. Mike Dolce, creator of the independent comic sensation "The Sire," will have the first issue of his hot new series available at the show. Other guests include Adam Miller, "Johnny Raygun" creator Rich Woodall, Mike Doherty, "Matman" from the Secret Identity Podcast, and Brian Smith and Ian Robinson of Isolation Disorder Press.

The Chelmsford Comic Show is offering an exciting opportunity for undiscovered artists as well. Patrick Cook, Editor-in-Chief of Wicked Good Comics, will be on hand to review portfolios and solicit artists for upcoming projects.

Portfolios should showcase a variety of skills, from sequential storytelling to panel layout and backgrounds to convincing character portrayals, rather than simply an emphasis on "pin-up" artwork. Aspiring artists are urged to bring a small variety of sample pages which best illustrate their artistic skills, with inclusion of a short (three to six pages) sequential story highly recommend. Sample scripts are also available in advance of the show. E-mail Cook at patrickecook@yahoo.com for more information.

Doherty, who also serves as publisher of Wicked Good Comics, points to Howard's meteoric rise from unknown to professional artist as one reason that talented locals should show off their artwork every chance they get. "Jason is the definition of the aspiring artist's dream," he said. "Just last year he was shagging his portfolio to cons looking for a gig. Guess what? He did it. He's working with one of the top writers in the comic biz, Robert Kirkman."

The Chelmsford Comic Book Show will also feature top dealers from all over New England, many making their first appearances at this location, offering a wide selection of comics from the Golden Age to the hottest new releases, toys, collectibles, anime, and other pop culture ephemera. It will be held on Sunday, Aug. 5, at the Radisson Hotel and Suites, located at Exit 34 off Interstate 495 in Chelmsford, MA. The event runs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., and admission is just $5. The convenient location features plenty of free parking.

For more information, please visit the show's web site:

http://www.larryscomics.net/shows.html

Bill Nolan
08-04-2007, 10:28 AM
One more little bump for this show, which is tomorrow. I'm off to pick Jason up at the airport in a few hours. Should be a fun show.

Bill Nolan
08-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Boo-yah! Fun little show. It was great to meet Jason, who was a great guest and did some awesome sketches for his New England fans. Here's the one a certain creepy weirdo got:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g104/wanolan/howard.jpg

cmoney
08-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Got a nice Wolf Man print signed by him at SDCC. His art is cool.

ZombieSpeedball
08-05-2007, 04:40 PM
I went to the show but did not get ze automograph. It felt wrong considering I do not read Wolf-Man.

kriscarter
08-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Did I meet you?