PDA

View Full Version : Shoppers ignored woman dying of stab wound

sumopanda
07-05-2007, 12:53 AM
Wow I can't believe this crap... what's wrong with people?

The Associated Press

Shoppers gawk as woman bleeds to death
WICHITA | Stabbing victim LaShanda Calloway lay dying on the floor of a Wichita convenience store.

Instead of dialing 911, five shoppers stepped over Calloway to carry out purchases — and at least one used a cell phone to take pictures of the stabbing victim.

With a murder investigation ongoing, police aren’t releasing the store surveillance video, but they have described the June 23 incident.

“It was tragic to watch,” police spokesman Gordon Bassham said Tuesday. “The fact that people were more interested in taking a picture with a cell phone and shopping for snacks rather than helping this innocent young woman is, frankly, revolting.”

Calloway was stabbed in an altercation at the store, but it was not part of a robbery, Bassham said. It took about two minutes for someone to call 911 to report the crime, he said.

Calloway, 27, died later at a hospital.

Cherish M. McCullough, 19, has been charged with first-degree murder in the case. Another person, who turned himself in a few days later, had not been charged as of Tuesday, according to the Sedgwick County prosecutor’s office.

The Wichita Eagle first reported the killing in a brief.

But only later, after a call from a reader spurred Eagle columnist Mark McCormick to ask more questions, did information about the tape develop. McCormick said the reader complained about a policy that requires emergency medical personnel to wait until police secure a potentially dangerous crime scene before rendering aid.

Wondering whether police response time could have made a difference in the Calloway case, McCormick asked Police Chief Norman Williams about that policy and wrote a column about it.

In a follow-up conversation, the chief mentioned that the response time of passers-by may also be worth questioning, McCormick said.

“It’s on the video,” Williams was quoted in another of McCormick’s columns. “She laid on the floor while people continued to do their shopping. They’re taking photographs. That’s our frustration. They didn’t call immediately. If people would have been calling us, who knows what the outcome might have been.”

Bassham said the district attorney’s office would decide whether any of the shoppers could be charged.

It was uncertain what law, if any, would apply. A Kansas statute for failure to render aid refers only to victims of car accidents.

Bassham said police have heard that the cell-phone photo has appeared on the Internet. However they haven’t been able to substantiate the reports.

“The lack of concern for humanity over this young woman’s life is deeply troubling,” Bassham said.

Patrick King
07-05-2007, 12:57 AM
Kinda like the case with Kitty Geneveve (I think that's what her name was), who was raped repeatedly and murdered while people just looked on and did not do a damn thing. Tragic and disgusting, especially that people were just gawking and taking pictures instead of, y'know, CALLING 911 or something!!

morlock with a day pass
07-05-2007, 01:01 AM
maybe there was a really good sale. or it was one of those 7-11/kwik-e-mart mash-ups. they're neat.

SAVETHEB
07-05-2007, 01:14 AM
maybe there was a really good sale. or it was one of those 7-11/kwik-e-mart mash-ups. they're neat.

right.

Joe Kalicki
07-05-2007, 01:17 AM
Maybe they didn't realize she was stabbed? Maybe they just thought she was punched. I don't know. I would probably ask if she was okay and then call 911 if necessary. But I'm a good samaritan.

Angeles
07-05-2007, 01:24 AM
What the fuck? This is damn appalling. They should figure out something to charge these people with, especially that asshole who took the cell pic.

Fucking put down the Twinkies and show some compassion for a dying woman. Just sickening.

The Hodag
07-05-2007, 01:36 AM
Maybe they didn't realize she was stabbed? Maybe they just thought she was punched. I don't know.

Yeah, I'm wondering if there's more to this story. I don't put a lot of stock in humanity, but I don't see people continuing to shop while someone's dying on the floor. Were they really shopping? Is it possible they thought the killer was still around or had he warned them not to touch her or something? I just think there's gotta be more to this one.

morlock with a day pass
07-05-2007, 02:11 AM
i believe it as it now stands. there was just a report on tv about a mother microwaving her own infant to death. we're doomed.

Matt Jay
07-05-2007, 06:00 AM
As has been mentioned, this reminds me of Kitty Genevese. I swear, after 27 years of meeting people, I think I know about 5 decent ones.

silverboy
07-05-2007, 06:06 AM
These people should be charged as accomplices to murder.

Ben
07-05-2007, 06:08 AM
Maybe the store had installed cell phone jammers.

KingMob
07-05-2007, 06:10 AM
can the new iPhone take pictures?

ZombieSpeedball
07-05-2007, 06:27 AM
These people should be charged as accomplices to murder.

That's what I was thinking.

JABSEN
07-05-2007, 06:34 AM
Maybe the store had installed cell phone jammers.HA

But yeah, this is horrible.

Ben
07-05-2007, 06:37 AM
Maybe people did dial 911, but the police just forgot? We don't have all the facts!

ZombieSpeedball
07-05-2007, 06:38 AM
Maybe people did dial 911, but the police just forgot? We don't have all the facts!

Maybe the stab victim was being super mean to all the shoppers? Come on people, work with me here!

Matt Jay
07-05-2007, 06:40 AM
Maybe the stab victim was being super mean to all the shoppers? Come on people, work with me here!

The stabber shouldn't be villified in this situation. Yes, he made a mistake, but that doesn't mean we can't respect his accomplishments as a profesional wrestler.

Foolish Mortal
07-05-2007, 06:41 AM
What fuck is wrong with people? What the fuck!!?

Ben
07-05-2007, 06:41 AM
The stabber shouldn't be villified in this situation. Yes, he made a mistake, but that doesn't mean we can't respect his accomplishments as a profesional wrestler.And maybe that guy that took the cell phone photo will grow up to be a famous photojournalist!

moonspider
07-05-2007, 06:42 AM
people are scared to get involved, mostly because they think the more they are in no way involved, the better it is for them

Ben
07-05-2007, 06:42 AM
What fuck is wrong with people? What the fuck!!?They're jerks.

ZombieSpeedball
07-05-2007, 06:45 AM
They're jerks.

Yeah. Welcome to Earth.

Akira
07-05-2007, 06:52 AM
Christ... :(

Bill?
07-05-2007, 06:59 AM
it's not just that people walked around her, but someone stopped to take a cellphone picture? thats messed up. you have a cell, use it to call 911 at least! thats just a crazy story.

Bill!
07-05-2007, 07:19 AM
Unfortunately you won't be able to charge them with anything if there are no applicable laws on the books and who knows if it would stick anyway. I fully believe the story, because people are for the most part insensitive to the needs of others. You see it everyday. There's no reason to think it doesn't extend to life and death. The best thing to punish these people, is to write a scathing editorial in a major newspaper that lists their names. I hope someone does that.

half guard
07-05-2007, 08:43 AM
right.

they are neat and no amount of denying it on your part will make them any less neat.

half guard
07-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Christ... :(

i think it's a bit late to start praying in this situation.

The Dean
07-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Yet another thing to make me ashamed to live in this state...

WillieLee
07-05-2007, 08:58 AM
If people helped her, how would I be able to judge society while excusing myself as a participant in said society?

Matt Jay
07-05-2007, 09:00 AM
If people helped her, how would I be able to judge society while excusing myself as a participant in said society?

?
If people helped her, they would have done what that they are supposed to do in a situation like that. We wouldn't be talking about it.

WillieLee
07-05-2007, 09:02 AM
?
If people helped her, they would have done what that they are supposed to do in a situation like that. We wouldn't be talking about it.

I'm more interested in making blanket statements about the state of humanity than caring about people.

Matt Jay
07-05-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm more interested in making blanket statements about the state of humanity than caring about people.
Ok.

Anyways, I dug up the psychological theory underlying what happened in case anyone's interested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_responsibility

Eric Williams
07-05-2007, 09:24 AM
Man, the bystander effect is really sick when it applies to a situation like this. Really awful. :(

Alex(sadly)Maleev
07-05-2007, 09:26 AM
A quote I read regarding the incident:
I’m not an American but I can tell you that all over the world it’s been said that if you drop dead in the middle of a busy street in the USA, nobody will lift a finger to help you. And you brought it upon yourself. There have been instances where a good Samaritan decided to help someone in her most desperate moment of need, and when she recovered, the good helper was sued for a lot of money because she sustained permanent injuries because of help she received from someone who isn’t medically trained.

Now, would you take the risk of someone ruining your life after you helped him? I’d let that bitch die too. Charity starts at home.

Matt Jay
07-05-2007, 09:28 AM
I’m not an American but I can tell you that all over the world it’s been said that if you drop dead in the middle of a busy street in the USA, nobody will lift a finger to help you. And you brought it upon yourself. There have been instances where a good Samaritan decided to help someone in her most desperate moment of need, and when she recovered, the good helper was sued for a lot of money because she sustained permanent injuries because of help she received from someone who isn’t medically trained.

Now, would you take the risk of someone ruining your life after you helped him? I’d let that bitch die too. Charity starts at home.

This is true. If you negligently help someone and cause them further harm, you can be sued.

But I don't think that really applies here. All they needed to do was call the police. Can't get sued for that.

KingMob
07-05-2007, 09:39 AM
One time this electrician was doing some wiring in our cafe (up underneath the ceiling) when I used to work at Borders. He shocked himself and fell out of the ceiling tiles onto a table after he let out a loud scream. Since I was working the information desk at the time I dialed 911 for him even though he didnt want me to, but man was it funny!

Foolish Mortal
07-05-2007, 10:01 AM
I honestly don't know what else to say. I'm too damn appalled to discuss it any further.

Ryan Elliott
07-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Jesus that's sick.

Roman Noodles
07-05-2007, 10:04 AM
This makes me SICK. I can't exaggerate that enough. SICK TO MY STOMACH. I could never do such a thing I find it mind boggling that anyone COULD.

Foolish Mortal
07-05-2007, 10:06 AM

Well before this turns into "Lets bash Americans", let us not forget Wesley Autrey (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-01-02-subway-rescue_x.htm). There are many like him. Not enough for my liking though.

Mylazycat
07-05-2007, 10:32 AM
I honestly don't know what else to say. I'm too damn appalled to discuss it any further.

Agreed. We use "Words fail" as a joke a lot on this board. This is one of those times it's real.

Roman Noodles
07-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Well before this turns into "Lets bash Americans", let us not forget Wesley Autrey (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-01-02-subway-rescue_x.htm). There are many like him. Not enough for my liking though.

Yes. America is a big country made of ALOT of different people. Just because people act one way in ONE part of the country doesn't mean they ct the same in another part. In my experience people Southeast Louisiana are very friendly. I mean I've never had to depend on the Kindness of strangers but my mother and I always used to help people around whatever neighborhood we lived.

ZombieSpeedball
07-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Yes. America is a big country made of ALOT of different people. Just because people act one way in ONE part of the country doesn't mean they ct the same in another part. In my experience people Southeast Louisiana are very friendly. I mean I've never had to depend on the Kindness of strangers but my mother and I always used to help people around whatever neighborhood we lived.

Even that isn't right to do, because you can't just generalize that good or bad people are going to come from a particular area of anywhere.

Roman Noodles
07-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Even that isn't right to do, because you can't just generalize that good or bad people are going to come from a particular area of anywhere.

I never said anything about people in other areas. I was just saying you can blame everyone for the sins of a few people.

J. R. Scherer
07-05-2007, 10:55 AM

That guy is awesome. Thanks for providing the link!

sumopanda
07-05-2007, 05:11 PM
It's not that hard to dial 911. I mean, i've dialed 911 to stop a buncha guys jumping another guy on the street, and I didn't even have to get more involved than that. Nobody even needs to know you're the one making the phone call, that's what's so infuriating when people take on the mentality of not wanting to help because nobody else is helping either.

I think the thing that bothers me the most is "What if that was one of my friends? One of my family?" How could I survive with that person's death if I knew people stood around taking cell phone pictures instead of helping? I think it would just eat at me for years knowing something like that.

Bedlam66
07-05-2007, 05:30 PM
People like that are trash and should be disposed of. That's just Fucking sick.

Bedlam66
07-05-2007, 05:34 PM
While there is the RARE person like that. They are Literally 1 in 10,000,000. And that who bit about being sued for helping someone is just a fucking Sick as this. Someone saves your life you dont fucking try to get money out of them.

elry
07-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Wasnt there a story a few weeks ago where a World War 2 vet got carjacked and while he was getting beaten there was a group of people hanging out by their car, the spot over, who didnt do anything to help him?

Doc Randy
07-05-2007, 05:40 PM
"All that it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing." - Edmond Bourke

Magnum V.I.
07-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Kinda like the case with Kitty Geneveve (I think that's what her name was), who was raped repeatedly and murdered while people just looked on and did not do a damn thing. Tragic and disgusting, especially that people were just gawking and taking pictures instead of, y'know, CALLING 911 or something!!

Kitty Genovese. *edit never mind*. She was Stabbed and screamed. Then the attacker left. he came back again and stabbed her a few more times. And then Maybe came back again to finish it all with people looking on. It's the whole, well someone else will do it shit that has been pointed out in this thread.

FedEx Fanboy
07-05-2007, 07:44 PM
When I'm out of Orbit's Mint Mojito, NO ONE IS GETTING IN MY WAY! NO ONE!!!

Run-BMC
07-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Wasnt there a story a few weeks ago where a World War 2 vet got carjacked and while he was getting beaten there was a group of people hanging out by their car, the spot over, who didnt do anything to help him?

Yeah.. I just watched that. The attacker was big, the attackee was an old man, getting whaled on, with fists and a car door. People were just watching, just yards away.

There was another instance actually discussed on the boards where a huge guy was beating on a female staff member in a diner while the other people in the diner just watched, and did nothing even after the attacker left and the woman was lying on the floor.

Apathy is disgusting, but I can't help wondering, all these people who were just watching, how would they have answered the question of "what would you do if you saw someone viciously attacking someone weaker and defenseless?" before they witnessed it happening in front of them? How many do you think would say "I'd help the person out."

I think it's human nature to want to mind your own business in the face of this kind of shit. People don't want to watch the news when they see evil happen, as long as it's far away, and doesn't involve THEM. Me changing the channel when CNN is describing human loss of life in Iraq isn't that much different in the end, in my opinion.

Someone said that people are doomed. Maybe it was a joke, but I think we need to change our apathy, or else we ARE doomed. We need to learn to involve ourselves.

We can quote Burke all day, but how many of us really do something when the opportunity presents itself, and yet we still consider ourselves good people?

By the way, Optimus Prime is AWESOME!!!

TRILL, THE CARBON BASED LIFEFORM
07-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Everyone else thinks the other person has already called for help. This is why they teach you in CPR to point directly at someone and tell them to call 911.

HoneyDippinDan
07-05-2007, 09:18 PM
One of my friends that was working at DirecTV got a call from a customer that was calling to ask what she should do about the installer who had fallen off her roof and was laying out in the middle of her front yard, motionless and moaning. As if that it wasn't stupid enough that the customer was actually bothering to call and ask what to do in this situation, when my friend informed to customer to please hang up and call the installer an ambulance, the customer actually had the gall to whine that she shouldn't have to take the time out of her day to do that and it wasn't her responsibility since she didn't do anything to make the installer fall off the roof. Seriously, some people need to get a boot in the ass just to do the right thing.

Foolish Mortal
07-05-2007, 09:27 PM
One of my friends that was working at DirecTV got a call from a customer that was calling to ask what she should do about the installer who had fallen off her roof and was laying out in the middle of her front yard, motionless and moaning. As if that it wasn't stupid enough that the customer was actually bothering to call and ask what to do in this situation, when my friend informed to customer to please hang up and call the installer an ambulance, the customer actually had the gall to whine that she shouldn't have to take the time out of her day to do that and it wasn't her responsibility since she didn't do anything to make the installer fall off the roof. Seriously, some people need to get a boot in the ass just to do the right thing.
Are you fucking serious?! Was this woman mentally retarded? Fucking hell!

niceguyeddie
07-05-2007, 11:39 PM
[QUOTE]Blinded by love, man stabbed in eye by girlfriend

A Hong Kong woman who blinded her boyfriend in one eye in a fight six years ago has been jailed for jabbing a chopstick into his other eye, a newspaper has reported.[

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/thepress/westcoast/4117844a4560.html/QUOTE]

WillieLee
07-06-2007, 12:07 AM
Nice to see everyone accept the police version of the events which was designed to deflect criticism of their policies.

Matt Jay
07-06-2007, 05:58 AM
Nice to see everyone accept the police version of the events which was designed to deflect criticism of their policies.

Now you're reaching. Even more. Should we wait until the video is released for general consumption? Should we wait for the video of Benoit strangling his family before we believe it?

nihilance
07-06-2007, 06:02 AM
Everyone else thinks the other person has already called for help. This is why they teach you in CPR to point directly at someone and tell them to call 911.

Well according to the story 911 was called within two minutes of the incident...so someone did call. But that doesn't excuse people from trying to help a person lying on the floor bleeding to death. At least a little compassion or comfort could have been spared even if they didn't know what to do for a stab victim.

tavella
07-06-2007, 06:57 AM
Well according to the story 911 was called within two minutes of the incident...so someone did call. But that doesn't excuse people from trying to help a person lying on the floor bleeding to death. At least a little compassion or comfort could have been spared even if they didn't know what to do for a stab victim.

That happened to me the other day. I was pulling out of the Safeway parking lot when I noticed a guy collapsed over the curb. Pulled out of the line of cars, shook his shoulder, checked his breathing, and popped open my cellphone... at which point I could hear distant sirens. So someone had bothered to call 911... but couldn't be bothered to actually get out of their car and check if the guy was still alive.

Which of course meant that the ambulance and cops had no clue where to go, I had to grab a couple of drivebys and ask them to go to the other side of the giant parking lot and tell them where to go (I did two on the principle that one of them might say yes and then take off anyway.)

It was one of those "I really don't understand people" moments for me.

WillieLee
07-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Now you're reaching. Even more. Should we wait until the video is released for general consumption? Should we wait for the video of Benoit strangling his family before we believe it?

Rob Thurman entered the store when the fight was in progress, he separated the women and then one was stabbed, he called 911 at 5:58. The firefighters who were five blocks away arrived at 6:00 but refused to enter the store until the police also arrived,as per the policy, even though they were informed the woman who committed the act had left the scene. At 6:04 the firefighters called in her status as a code blue. So tell me, what were the customers supposed to be doing? If you saw the firefighters waiting in the lot opposite the store would you think it was anything serious?

sumopanda
07-06-2007, 08:22 AM
Rob Thurman entered the store when the fight was in progress, he separated the women and then one was stabbed, he called 911 at 5:58. The firefighters who were five blocks away arrived at 6:00 but refused to enter the store until the police also arrived,as per the policy, even though they were informed the woman who committed the act had left the scene. At 6:04 the firefighters called in her status as a code blue. So tell me, what were the customers supposed to be doing? If you saw the firefighters waiting in the lot opposite the store would you think it was anything serious?

See that's just the thing. It's not just the fucking authorities responsibility to help people when they are in need. It's every HUMAN'S responsibility to act, well, a little human. If someone had taken the time to call 911 and do more than just inform and hang up they could have at least been administering help to the woman WHILE they waited for the professionals to come in and help. It might have made a world of difference. Even guided help by phone is better than no help at all, and that's what 911 is there for. To help you, to guide you. They're not just glorified secretaries who send out calls to the ambulances, you know. What you're arguing is another case of "Well someone else was going to do it so why should i?".

This whole thing is just a shame, and I think a shamefully large number of people are guilty in some way of letting this woman just die.

WillieLee
07-06-2007, 08:27 AM
See that's just the thing. It's not just the fucking authorities responsibility to help people when they are in need. It's every HUMAN'S responsibility to act, well, a little human. If someone had taken the time to call 911 and do more than just inform and hang up they could have at least been administering help to the woman WHILE they waited for the professionals to come in and help. It might have made a world of difference. Even guided help by phone is better than no help at all. What you're arguing is another case of "Well someone else was going to do it so why should i?".

He didn't hang up. He informed 911 several times that the suspects had left and then tried to get the firefighters who were waiting across the street to come into the store and help the woman.

But, Thurman said, while he and others frantically waved to firefighters to come and help LaShanda Calloway, the firefighters didn't move until the Kansas (http://www.topix.net/state/ks) Highway Patrol arrived. Calloway later died at a hospital.
'They sat over there in that vacant car wash lot,' said Thurman, adding that he repeatedly told the 911 dispatcher the suspects had gone. 'There was no imminent threat.... I don't understand why it would take so long.... That girl's life could have been saved.'

tavella
07-06-2007, 08:30 AM
So tell me, what were the customers supposed to be doing? If you saw the firefighters waiting in the lot opposite the store would you think it was anything serious?

Well, if someone is bleeding out, I'd be applying pressure to the wound; convenience stores, fortunately, tend to be full of things good for that purpose. I certainly would not be taking cell phone photos.

Alex(sadly)Maleev
07-06-2007, 09:09 AM

Go New York, GO!

Ben
07-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Well, if someone is bleeding out, I'd be applying pressure to the wound; convenience stores, fortunately, tend to be full of things good for that purpose. I certainly would not be taking cell phone photos.For all I know (since I'm not, y'know, TRAINED) stuffing things from around a convenience store onto an open wound will just get it infected and kill the person. If I'm ever stabbed, I'd rather wait for the ambulance people to apply pressure to my wound.

KingMob
07-06-2007, 09:22 AM
For all I know (since I'm not, y'know, TRAINED) stuffing things from around a convenience store onto an open wound will just get it infected and kill the person. If I'm ever stabbed, I'd rather wait for the ambulance people to apply pressure to my wound.

I dont know, it might be fun to have someone jam a bunch of those stay awake pills into your stab wound.

Jef UK
07-06-2007, 09:30 AM
I dont know, it might be fun to have someone jam a bunch of those stay awake pills into your stab wound.

I'd try to get some Transformers toys in there. That way, if I survive, I wake up to a fun surprise!

J. R. Scherer
07-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Kitty Genovese. *edit never mind*. She was Stabbed and screamed. Then the attacker left. he came back again and stabbed her a few more times. And then Maybe came back again to finish it all with people looking on. It's the whole, well someone else will do it shit that has been pointed out in this thread.

Except that a quick Google search will show you that's not really what happened.

http://www.oldkewgardens.com/ss-nytimes-3.html

tavella
07-06-2007, 11:32 AM
For all I know (since I'm not, y'know, TRAINED) stuffing things from around a convenience store onto an open wound will just get it infected and kill the person. If I'm ever stabbed, I'd rather wait for the ambulance people to apply pressure to my wound.

If you are stabbed, the possibility of infection will already be in play, from bacteria on skin and clothes carried deep into the wound. The possibility of further infection from surface contact from having napkins held against the surface of the wound is minor. The possibility of bleeding to death before the ambulance gets there considerably higher. Infection will be taken care of by antibiotics. Death has no prophylactic.

WinterRose
07-06-2007, 01:41 PM
The Pale Rider needs to show up and stomp a clint eastwood sized mudhole in every one of these onlookers' asses.