PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help (Speakers/Sound card)

Afny
07-05-2007, 12:24 AM
Yesterday, I started listening to some music on my computer, and found my left speaker dead (or so I thought). To make sure the speaker really was the problem, I made sure the l/r balance on my volume was set right, and I tried using a different program. So today, I got some new speakers, and I have the same problem. I have to think the problem is either it the input, or the sound card itself...the bad news is, I don't have a soundcard, just onboard sound. I'm not really sure what to do, has anyone ever had this problem?

Jim T.
07-05-2007, 05:49 AM
Have you gone into Control Panel and looked at Sounds & Multimedia Properties? Check the audio and hardware tabs to see if there's anything obviousy funky? (like showing the wrong Preferred Device or a note that a particular device isn't working properly)

Ben
07-05-2007, 05:50 AM
Are both speakers plugged in?

ClintP
07-05-2007, 05:51 AM
It could be that there are conflicting drivers too. Try uninstalling all of them and re-installing the one you know to be the correct one.

KingMob
07-05-2007, 05:51 AM
how is the hearing in your left ear?

Afny
07-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Okay, I've got an update to this problem...
I tried all the things you guys suggest to no avail, so I ended up mucking around with some of the cables in my computer. Nothing was unplugged, but I unplugged/replugged some, and jiggled others. And for a while, I could hear out of the left speaker again! But the problem is, with onboard sound, I have no idea what cables even deal with that. Do any? Did I just get lucky? Well, the left speaker has gone out again, and jiggling things around isn't helping this time.