PDA

View Full Version : Who has a SanDisk Sansa Express MP3 Player?

gaspar
07-04-2007, 02:49 PM
I want a small, inexpensive MP3 player that I can throw in my pocket and listen to/from work and school and around campus. I was thinking about getting a Shuffle, but I'd rather have some sort of screen if possible. I saw a SanDisk Sansa Express 1GB at Best Buy today for $60 and just from what I've briefly read, it sounds perfect.

I am really just looking for something that I can play podcasts on...I don't need top quality audio output like some audiophiles. I also don't need a ton of storage because I'm pretty much just listening to the podcasts and then deleting them.

Anyway, most of the reviews I've read sound good, but I wanted to see what any of you who have one thought of it. Also, if you have something similar that you'd recommend, let me know about that too.

Thanks!!

artimoff
01-19-2008, 07:15 PM
I know it's 6 months later, but Sansa is a great brand.

changingshades
01-19-2008, 07:26 PM
I got a 4 gb one for christmas and it's fucking perfect. I have had no problems with it whatsoever.

TheKraken
01-19-2008, 08:08 PM
I would go batshit insane with such a tiny harddrive. I have 87GB of music on my iPod and I haven't even come close to ripping my whole CD collection. But the Sansa does have a nice looking interface.

sonnylarue
01-19-2008, 09:17 PM
sansa works just fine

artimoff
01-19-2008, 09:19 PM
I just got the 16 gig Sansa View. I love it.

t00lverine
01-19-2008, 10:10 PM
I have and have used one since a month or so after it came out. It has a few serious problems, but the Anything But iPod forums help navigate the whys and wherefores. I hope they release a improved version with more memory this year. Being able to uncap it and plug it in is awesome.

changingshades
01-20-2008, 08:35 AM
I would go batshit insane with such a tiny harddrive. I have 87GB of music on my iPod and I haven't even come close to ripping my whole CD collection. But the Sansa does have a nice looking interface.

I just move shit around a lot. I charge mine up once every 3 days or so and it gives me a chance to change up the music.

gaspar
01-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Wow, someone dug up my thread from a loooong time ago :) Thanks for the info and since it was brought up from then, I'll share what my decisions were since that point...first I bought one of these:
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/04/43/19/65/0004431965147_215X215.jpg
And I posted this as my reasoning behind it in someone else's thread looking for a cheap MP3 player:

I bought the RCA Pearl 1gb mp3 player a few months back to listen to music and podcasts while waiting in lines at Comic Con. My big requirements were:

1. It had to be small so as not to get in the way or be troublesome with all of the other stuff I'd be lugging around
2. It had to be cheap so as not to take much money away from my con spending funds
3. It had to have enough flash memory to hold enough to get me through a day at the con
4. It had to have some sort of screen because I'm not a shuffle-only kind of guy
5. It had to have enough battery life to get me through a day at the con

I was leaning toward one of the SanDisk players but they were a little more expensive than I wanted to pay. While looking for a decent price, I saw the RCA Pearl at Wal Mart. It's not the best thing ever, but for the price I really couldn't beat it. I think I found it on sale for about $30-35. It has 1gb of storage and plays Audible files if you like listening to audio books. It takes 1 AAA battery (no recharging was a nice plus...just threw a couple of extra AAAs in my bag in case it ran out of juice) and lasts for several hours. It has a small but functional screen. It's pretty dang tiny...fits in the little coin pocket of my jeans. Has decent enough sound (I replaced the earbuds it comes with with some that I like better). It also plugs directly into a USB 2.0 port...no extra cables needed! That was a nice feature. And you can use it as a flash disk/thumb drive to transfer other files as well.

It basically did everything I needed it to do and was great to use on the plane trip and everywhere else. I highly recommend it as either a starter mp3 player, or a secondary one for using at specific places like the gym or on trips. I now have a larger unit (XM Inno radio/mp3 player) that I use daily, but I'm hanging onto my Pearl for special occasions and for when I don't want to have to worry about the possibility of breaking a $300 piece of equipment.

Oh yeah, and it has a microSD slot so you can spend a little more if you need the extra flash storage space and upgrade to a 2gb unit! I haven't done that, but it's nice to have the option should I decide to in the future, especially since flash card prices seem to be dropping pretty quickly.

As I mentioned in that review, I have since moved on to include a XM Inno which receives satellite radio broadcasts as well as plays MP3s:
http://www.internetnews.com/img/2006/05/smallinno.gif
I like it a lot, but that's mostly because I listen to a lot of talk radio, baseball (when it's in season), and podcasts, so this is like the perfect device. Oh yeah, and it records XM broadcasts, so I can record overnight and have fresh content to listen to when I wake up in the morning! It's pretty awesome!

I also got a 30 gig iPod for Christmas, but I still use my XM Inno much more than that. I just don't listen to all that much music. I ripped and transferred all of my CDs and it filled about 8 gigs worth of space. I'm sure it will be nice to have for trips and stuff, but for everyday use, my Inno is the device I have to have with me. The Pearl is for workouts and for oddball things like ComicCon and the iPod will be great for long road trips or long flights.

Anyway, I know that no one needed this much of an explanation of my MP3 player history, but it was fun for me to write it up, so thanks for digging up this old thread!