PDA

View Full Version : I'm rewatching Transformers The 1986 Movie right now

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Unicron's hungry.
And I love the Lion Transformers theme.

Thommy Melanson
07-04-2007, 02:21 PM
First time I watched Boogie Nights, I fell on the floor laughing that they covered "You Got The Touch".

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Uh oh, Lasebeak is spying on the Autobots while Optimus is making a plan.

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Now all the Autobots need is a liitle bit of Energon and a lot of luck.
Starscream looks pissed when Megatron says that Laserbeak never fails him instead of some of his other minions.

Ben
Uh oh, Lasebeak is spying on the Autobots while Optimus is making a plan.All he needs is a little energon and a lot of luck.

JackBauer
Here goes Ironhide. :(

Ben
07-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Here goes Ironhide. :(Such heroic nonsense.

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Such heroic nonsense! :rock:

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Daniel and Hot Rod ride in style to Lookout Mountain and piss off Kup.

YouStayClassy
07-04-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm so glad they told us what Lookout Mountain was for. I was all like "why's it called Lookout Mountain?"

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 02:28 PM
The Decepticons attack Autobot City while Stan Bush is singing dare. Classy animation.

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Haha, Blurr is SO funny! :D
And Starscream got nearly crushed by Autobot City.

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 02:32 PM
The Insecticons are Hot Rod's and Kup's way in!
And the Decepticons don't want Blaster to contact Optimus, so Soundwave sends out his mighty tapes!

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Uh oh, Devastator transforms! :O
But the Autobots have better things to do tonight than die!

Foolish Mortal
07-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Starscream looks pissed when Megatron says that Laserbeak never fails him instead of some of his other minions.
It's little moments like those that make the movie great in my opinion.

AAlgar
07-04-2007, 02:35 PM
All he needs is a little energon and a lot of luck.

I just wanted to tell you good luck. We're all counting on you.

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Hooray, Optimus is here for the rescue!

Thommy Melanson
07-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Wait...doesn't one of them say "Shit" or something?

That was cool when I was eleven.

JackBauer
ONE SHALL STAND, ONE SHALL FALL!!! :rock:

Lord Jermaine Retail
First time I watched Boogie Nights, I fell on the floor laughing that they covered "You Got The Touch".

I always wondered exactly why that happened. Of all songs in the world to use, why that one? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it, but still I wondered...

AAlgar
07-04-2007, 02:38 PM

Yep. Spike does, just before their moon gets consumed by the giant Orson Welles in space.

They edited that out of the VHS/DVD versions till the most recent ones.

Lord Jermaine Retail
07-04-2007, 02:39 PM

He always looked kind of hurt to me. Kind of like "Huh? I've been doing great lately! I didn't deserve that!"

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 02:39 PM

That's when Spike and Bumblebee fail in blowing Unicron up.

OH NO! Optimus Prime got shot! :cry:

But Megatron looks pretty fucked up now, too, especially when Starscream kicks him! :D

Thommy Melanson
07-04-2007, 02:40 PM
I always wondered exactly why that happened. Of all songs in the world to use, why that one? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it, but still I wondered...

Probably just a funny ref, but that song is a perfect example of the cheesy- urgent-empowering "rock" of the time, ala Survivor's "Eye Of The Tiger".

Lord Jermaine Retail
07-04-2007, 02:41 PM
The Insecticons are Hot Rod's and Kup's way in!
And the Decepticons don't want Blaster to contact Optimus, so Soundwave sends out his mighty tapes!

That was huge back in the day. Usually we didn't get more than one or two guys at a time. And this time we got them all, plus a new one, Rat-bat!

AAlgar
07-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Well now I'm going to have to put the movie in. Because, let's be honest... actually seeing it is better than your play-by-play recap.

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Optimus is now one with the Matrix. :(

But how the fuck is Unicron supposed to watch all this?

AND WHY THE FUCK IS OPTIMUS TURNING GREY!? I never got that!?

ImYrWoodbury
07-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Optimus is now one with the Matrix. :(

But how the fuck is Unicron supposed to watch all this?

Especially from multiple angles.

Lord Jermaine Retail
07-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Uh oh, Devastator transforms! :O
But the Autobots have better things to do tonight than die!

We'd seen Devastator many time before, but that one time it was just different. It was a serious problem that only the Dinobots could shut down. And they didn't even do it all that effectively.

Wish we could have seen more of the fighting inbetween scenes. But its probably for the best. I know that one "deleted scene" has more name brand Autobots getting shot down and that's just depressing.

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Haha, I love Starscream's sarcastic quotes.
How do all of the Decepticons fit into Astrotrain who is as big as them?

Orson Welles sounds creepy. Even Megatron doesn't want to fuck with him.

AAlgar
07-04-2007, 02:46 PM
We'd seen Devastator many time before, but that one time it was just different. It was a serious problem that only the Dinobots could shut down. And they didn't even do it all that effectively.

Wish we could have seen more of the fighting inbetween scenes. But its probably for the best. I know that one "deleted scene" has more name brand Autobots getting shot down and that's just depressing.

Unless you were one of those kids who always rooted for the bad guys and cheered during the "heroic nonsense" scene. :twisted:

Marcdachamp
07-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Hey look, it's Snarl. He's in one frame, then never seen again. Whoop, there goes Blaster for the rest of the film, too.

ImYrWoodbury
07-04-2007, 02:48 PM

Orson Welles sounds creepy. Even Megatron doesn't want to fuck with him.

Not only do they all fit, but the Constructicons actually form Devastator inside of him.

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Can somebody PLEASE explain to me why Optimus turned grey?

Oh I just love this Megatron-Galvatron rebuilding scene it just blew away my mind when I was a kid.

AAlgar
07-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Hey look, it's Snarl. He's in one frame, then never seen again. Whoop, there goes Blaster for the rest of the film, too.

Well, Blaster stays in Autobot City to help with the reconstruction and stuff. That kinda makes sense.

Where Snarl goes off to... no man can say. :confused:

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 02:50 PM
This coronation scene is just great. I love the way the crowns don't fit, Starscream blasting the horns and:
"Coronation, Starscream? This is bad comedy!"

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Unicron's still hungry. And Spike says his famous "shit"-line.
"And you'll die just like Megatron while trying!"
How does Ultra Magnus know that Megatron died?

Foolish Mortal
07-04-2007, 02:56 PM
The Dinobots are uber-strong especially in their beast mode. They're not smart fighters, but they're fierce. All of them together would be a match for Devastator.

The same reason Megatron can shrink down to handgun size. They can morph their size in their transformation states.

Marcdachamp
07-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Well, Blaster stays in Autobot City to help with the reconstruction and stuff. That kinda makes sense.

Where Snarl goes off to... no man can say. :confused:

I always found that weird. He's literally there for like a second and that's it.

AAlgar
07-04-2007, 03:01 PM
The same reason Megatron can shrink down to handgun size. They can morph their size in their transformation states.

I love the sort of half-hearted science explanations you get in the various Transformers handbooks over the years.

"Um... pocket... dimension... subspace... something..."

Afny
07-04-2007, 03:04 PM
"I can't deal with that right now."

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 03:08 PM
One thing I never really understood: If the Quintessons built the Transformers, why don't Hot Rod and Kup recognize them?

GrandeMaestro Fünke
07-04-2007, 03:11 PM
One thing I never really understood: If the Quintessons built the Transformers, why don't Hot Rod and Kup recognize them?

I thought the TFs didn't find out about the Quintessons building them until Five Faces of Darkness.

AAlgar
07-04-2007, 03:12 PM
I thought the TFs didn't find out about the Quintessons building them until Five Faces of Darkness.

*bing*

It's the big reveal in Five Faces, after Rodimus goes on his vision quest into the Matrix.

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 03:15 PM
*bing*

It's the big reveal in Five Faces, after Rodimus goes on his vision quest into the Matrix.

Ah ok, didn't remember that. And how did Galvatron know that the Matrix was on Junkion? And why could Ultra Magnus be rebuilt and the other Bots not?

Foolish Mortal
07-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Why would they recognize them? The Quintessons created the Autobot and Decepticon races hundreds of millions of years earlier. Pretty much all of the pre-Cybertron history is vague and cryptic.

GrandeMaestro Fünke
07-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Ah ok, didn't remember that. And how did Galvatron know that the Matrix was on Junkion? And why could Ultra Magnus be rebuilt and the other Bots not?

Because Ultra Magnus' toy was brand new?

AAlgar
07-04-2007, 03:21 PM

You should pay closer attention to the movie. Unicron TOLD him the Matrix was there.

Junk = the planet
Junkions = the bots on the planet

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 03:22 PM
The Autobots dance while Unicron destroys the universe. :D

Lord Jermaine Retail
07-04-2007, 03:23 PM

"Ultra Magnus livesssss...on the planet of JunK (Wells says it with a hard K at the end). Stalk him. Tear him apart."

AAlgar
07-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Heh. *bets Lord Retail can recite the Universal Greeting from memory* :nerd:

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 03:25 PM
"Ultra Magnus livesssss...on the planet of JunK (Wells says it with a hard K at the end). Stalk him. Tear him apart."

Oops sorry, paying attention to the movie and the board all at once isn't that easy.
I love Unicron's transformation it's just bad ass!

Lord Jermaine Retail
07-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Why would they recognize them? The Quintessons created the Autobot and Decepticon races hundreds of millions of years earlier. Pretty much all of the pre-Cybertron history is vague and cryptic.

Not sure about Kup, but there is precedence of "new" Transformers like the Dinobots, Aerialbots, and Stuntacons. Cartoon storyline anyway. And some are younger than others I my mind. Like Bumblebee and Hot Rod compared to Iron Hide or Kup.

Wonder if Iron Hide and Kup even knew each other. Guess we'll never know.

There are so many great stories to tell, but the comics never seem to really touch on them the way I would like...

AAlgar
07-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Oops sorry, paying attention to the movie and the board all at once isn't that easy.
I love Unicron's transformation it's just bad ass!

As much as I should have seen it coming a mile away, somehow as a kid I was actually surprised by the big reveal that Unicron had a robot mode.

Lord Jermaine Retail
07-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Heh. *bets Lord Retail can recite the Universal Greeting from memory* :nerd:

Bah weep granah weep ni ni bong. Excluse the spelling, but you get the point.

Universal greeting is nothing. I'm doing Transformers trivia at my shop tomorrow for prizes and knowing the universal greeting is what gets you access to the actual questions. ;)

Lord Jermaine Retail
07-04-2007, 03:30 PM
As much as I should have seen it coming a mile away, somehow as a kid I was actually surprised by the big reveal that Unicron had a robot mode.

I think I was too despite the tv commercials practically screaming that at us. Maybe it was the fact that there wasn't a toy for it. I remember seeing all of the toys on the shelf of the crazy new robots before the movie had come out.

I also had the sticker book that you had to buy the stickers of movie frames to fill and use the tech spec reader to see secret stuff.

AAlgar
07-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Bah weep granah weep ni ni bong. Excluse the spelling, but you get the point.

Universal greeting is nothing. I'm doing Transformers trivia at my shop tomorrow for prizes and knowing the universal greeting is what gets you access to the actual questions. ;)

I can picture myself at something like that.

"Okay, AAl... you have a strong lead with 5000 points. This question decides who moves on to the next round. In Transformers: Energon..."

"I'm out."

AAlgar
07-04-2007, 03:33 PM
I think I was too despite the tv commercials practically screaming that at us. Maybe it was the fact that there wasn't a toy for it. I remember seeing all of the toys on the shelf of the crazy new robots before the movie had come out.

I also had the sticker book that you had to buy the stickers of movie frames to fill and use the tech spec reader to see secret stuff.

I only saw one commercial before the movie, and it was a really quick flash of images. My friends and I recorded it and studied it frame by frame like it was the goddamn Zapruder film.

We had the 800 number for Hasbro, and we would call them regularly, claiming to have lost pieces to toys (the purple arm mount for Galvatron's cannon was the worst). Sometimes we convinced them to send us the new little one-sheet catalogs before they hit the stores.

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 03:34 PM
It's a pity these Autobots die so easily.

And finally, the Matrix lights their darkest hour, The Touch is played and Unicron is blown into pieces.
Is there a better way to end this movie? I don't think so.

JackBauer
07-04-2007, 03:36 PM
And Transformers are REALLY more than meets the eye, first they came through Unicron's left eye then they escaped throug his right one.

Lord Jermaine Retail
07-04-2007, 03:39 PM
And Transformers are REALLY more than meets the eye, first they came through Unicron's left eye then they escaped throug his right one.

Good ol' "Injury to Eye" moments ala EC Comics.