PDA

View Full Version : DCBS People: Thoughts on your June shipment (may be Spoilers)

artimoff
07-04-2007, 12:00 PM
I feel like I'm on dissability or something, waiting by the mailbox at the beginning of the month for my check. I got my DCBService order on tuesday & have read most of the monthlys.

I know dEnny & others get their comics through DCBS, so I was wondering if having a Bought/Thought thread for us was a good idea.

New Warriors #1 - Great Medina art, good story, but the dialogue in the diner was so cliched it hurt.

Tank Girl: the Gifting #1 - Glad to have her back, but I think these strips would have been better off in an anthology.

Ultimate Spider-man #110 - the first book I read every month. A prety good wrap-up to the Kingpin story, but I hope this leads to more with DD & the rest.

Ultimate X-Men #83 - Why do I still buy this comic? It's just so "meh" it's sad.

Countdown #47-44 - I like the Mary & Jimmy stuff, but it really seems to be going nowhere fast.

New Avengers #31 - Would have been awesome if not for the spoilers.

Fallen Son #4 - Great art, fun Wolverine dialogue about Spidey joining the Avengers, but overall worthless.

Mystic Arcana: Magik - I love Magik & was glad to see her again. Hopefully ths series won't have 4 unconected stories with a serial back-up story.

Silent War #6 - Book of the month -
Marvel needs to focus on this story instead of their big events. Maximus is such a badassed loon. Fucking love it.

New X-Men #39 - Young's art is actually prety good, but his storytelling needs much improvement. Could have been an all time classic if it had a better artist.

The Boys #8 - What aweird issue. I can't wait to see where this is all going.

Uncanny X-Men #487 - Bru's run on Uncany continues to underwhelm. No drama, no tention, no subtlety. I do put alot of the blame on Laroca's bland art, but Bru's story just lacks any excitement.

X-Men #200 - This is more like it. Great story, great script, Great storytelling from both artists even tho I don't like Ramos' art in general, he can tell an exciting story with it.

X-Men: Endangered species - I love Eaton's art, but this should have been a 22 page comic. Marvel milks us again. At least they didn't make us pay for ads in the back.

Johna Hex #20 - Reads prety quick, but still a great book. I swear Hex is the luckiest som'bitch in the old west. Great Noto art.

Spike: Shadow Puppets #1 - I loved Spike Asylum, but the start of this issue seemed prety poor. Bad dialogue & art not up to Urro's usual standards don't give me mutch hope for the rest of the series.

Aquaman #53 _ I never thought Williams would write this book better than Busiek, but he has. One of my favorite DC books. King Shark biting off Black Manta's face nearly left me in shock. I even like the art, unlike most people.

JLA #10 - A great wrap-up to the story, but much of it seems like bad fanfic. It's like every character is Meltzer's Mary Sue.

Supergirl #18 - Garza's art is great & I like the moniter's part in the story, but what a waste of 3 or 4 issues. Kelly could have gotten his point across in 1 issue.

Wonder Woman #10 - Paco Diaz puts out some great pages here, but has a few instances of bad anatomy & perspective. Picoult's script is just plain bad. What was the point of hiring her for 5 issues if she isn't even going to continue her own story? I can't wait for Gail.

Bill Nolan
07-04-2007, 12:24 PM
I actually haven't read any of my singles yet, but I read the Trials of Shazam vol. 1 tpb and and now reading Fables vol. 9. Judd Winick writing makes me laugh. It is just soooo bad. These comics are modern day versions of Denny O'Neil goofy GL-GA tales, heart-of-their-sleeve, simplified nonsense which looks out of date before it's even published. That's not something to aspire to. The GL-GA stories are "classics" because of the Neal Adams artwork; folks laugh at the stories. Just like they're probably laughing at Freedy Freeman's soul patch and Winich's commentary on prisons, the war, and American society in general.

Oh, and it shits on EVERYTHING that was good about the Shazam family of characters in the process, turing them into generic crap. I knew I would hate it, but it was cheap, so I had to give Winick another chance with the characters... Fool me twice, and all that...

Fables is pretty cool, tho', as always.

artimoff
07-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Just read the Ant-Man digest.

I can't believe that this is some people's favorite book. The main character is a total dick (but not in a good way) & only a 12 year old could find Kirkman's "humor" funny. I totally understand why this is getting canceled. I won't be picking us the next digest.

David Price
07-04-2007, 02:42 PM
The only two books I read when I got home last night were Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps Special and Green Lantern Corps.

I couldn't wait to dig into the box so I could get right to the Sinestro Special. And I loved every page.

GLC offered a nice resolution to the current Guy and Mogo storylines.

Great thread idea!

EDIT: I'll add some more meat to my thoughts as soon as I get a chance.

Bill Nolan
07-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Just read last month's issue of Justice League Unlimited (#34). I miss the consistency of the earlier issues in this run, with Carlo Barberi on the art. This book seems like it's faltering a bit and getting close to the end of its run. I barely recognized anyone's name, all the way down to the editor whom I've never heard of. Seems like this book is not a priority at all at this point.

This issue had passable artwork by Gordon Purcell which was only slightly off-model at times. And they showed Power Girl, complete with a red cape, in one scene, which really kinda goes against the existing continuity for this book. Anyway, the story was passable, but a little rushed. I expected more from a story featuring Mxyzptlk, the Phantom Zone, and General Zod. Plus Booster Gold and a "surprise" appearance by the Atom. Sure, these comics can be a little trite, but this one was too charmless to make that work for me.

chazbot
07-04-2007, 03:04 PM

I can't believe that this is some people's favorite book. The maine character is a total dick (but not in a good way) & only a 12 year old could find Kirkman's "humor" funny. I totally understand why this is getting canceled. I won't be picking us the next digest.

I loved the digest. Esp, after the first couple of issues after all the initial set up got out of the way. It's a story where characters are jerks and there are lasting implications to actions. I think the back and forth jumping of events could lose something reading it in singles, but I thought it went a lot better in a digest form. Plus it took a while for me to read, talk about getting my money's worth. Seriously, even if a lot of the dailogue wasn't needed, it still gave me more to the story and set up future events. Yeh, the character depth is pretty shallow, but it's a pretty action-packed arc, and something that could be better explored in the future.
Plus it's adjective is IRREDEEMABLE for a reason. Eric isn't making many likeable actions, much like most the jerks out there who act that way just cause.

Akira
07-04-2007, 04:11 PM

I can't believe that this is some people's favorite book. The maine character is a total dick (but not in a good way) & only a 12 year old could find Kirkman's "humor" funny. I totally understand why this is getting canceled. I won't be picking us the next digest.

agreed. I was very dissapointed with it.

Matt O'Keefe
07-04-2007, 04:14 PM

Feel free to share your opinions, but don't insult people who enjoy it.

ClintP
07-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Feel free to share your opinions, but don't insult people who enjoy it.

My mommy took me to the comic store last week. I hate waiting around for to to come back to pick me up, so I picked my nose while I waited. We also stopped to get a kiddy meal at macdonalds!

;)

Matt O'Keefe
07-04-2007, 07:04 PM
My mommy took me to the comic store last week. I hate waiting around for to to come back to pick me up, so I picked my nose while I waited. We also stopped to get a kiddy meal at macdonalds!

;)

I didn't even like the book very much personally (just not my taste) but I just got fed up with the critisicm, specifically the remark that people over 12 shouldn't be able to enjoy the story.

Len Snark
07-04-2007, 11:21 PM
I've resorted to weekly shipments so that things like World War Hulk and New Avengers #31 don't get spoiled too badly for me anymore. DCBS still make it cheaper to do this than my LCS.

Anyway, I was very happy with June's books. It was a great month for Brubaker and Bendis and a good month for books in general. My big dilemma now is whether or not I want to stick with Countdown. I've pre-ordered the next two months of it so I feel an obligation to continue to do so, but man, it's just kind of "meh" every single issue. I don't hate it, I'm just indifferent for the most part.

artimoff
07-05-2007, 03:17 AM
Crossing Midnight TPB - I'm not even done with this (about 3 of 5 issues in) & I have to recomend it. Carey's story is filled with myth & strangness & filled me with fear & wonder. If Lucifer was this good I'll have to hunt down the TPBs for that too.

dEnny!
07-05-2007, 04:00 AM
I'm so behind on reading my comics so waiting a month on my DCBS shipment isn't an issue. I try to catch up on my Review Thread reading first and then the trades. I'm catching up on Green Lantern now starting from #1 again.

Green Lantern #1-4 - So far so good. :D